View Full Version : HOW-TO: Install Brake Light Modulator

Rekognize
March 16th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Grab the attention of the distracted cager behind you with a brake light modulator. This tiny device emits a series of light pulses whenever the brakes are applied.

QzQqjH1m7gQ

I got mine from eBay seller zowwie438 (http://bit.ly/Wvwrph) for $21 shipped. Arrived quickly and quality is pretty good.

Here's a step by step guide to installing a brake light modulator on your Ninja 300:

1. Get your modulator, a led bulb, side cutter and needle nose pliers.
http://i.imgur.com/uXKFVP1.jpg

2. Open the bike's trunk and locate the brake light harness. Carefully slice the heatshrink tubing open to expose the three wires -- blue, black, and red.
http://i.imgur.com/74kRppN.jpg

3. Splice the modulator between the blue wires (signal). The single red wire with the yellow label goes towards the led bulb.
http://i.imgur.com/e6ZN6x6.jpg

4. Black goes with black. Carefully expose the copper wiring and tap the modulator's black wire to the brake light harness.
http://i.imgur.com/lzwX226.jpg

5. Solder the wires together (optional), get electrical tape, wrap it all up and pat yourself in the back for a job well done!
http://i.imgur.com/UNrKCPZ.jpg

Alex
March 18th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Nice work! /linked

ai4px
March 18th, 2013, 04:45 AM
I tried a couple of brake modulators and zowwie438 's modulator is by far the best!

Nice write up.

Everyone should do this!

Rekognize
March 18th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Thanks guys, you can't see it on the video because stupid me didn't hold the brake long enough.

The modulator flashes 4x quick ones, then 4x slow, and then steady.

Also note that this only works with LED bulbs :thumbup:

zowwie438
March 18th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Rekognize... You rock! Excellent write up my friend!

Well folks... This is Zowwie438... The guy who sells these on ebay.

I am also the man who does way too many hospital visits at the ICU for downed bikers and way too many funerals! This is why I started selling these things... To save me from seeing another man on a ventilator... or worse.

I have had enough of sitting in ICU's with a grief stricken heart because there is nothing I can do to sooth the pain of those waiting for what the doc has to say.

Here in Ohio they passed that anti-texting legislation that is nothing but a joke! People still text... Just before we had a fighting chance cuz they would hold their phone up on the steering wheel. But now with fines, folks are holding their phone by their lap and looking straight down!!! They STILL text, just now they ain't looking forward anymore!!!!

WE HAVE TO PROTECT OUR BACKSIDE!!! Stay in gear while @ the light, have your escape route mapped out... And watch those mirrors like a hawk!

Since Rekognize did such an amazing job... I will extend to all members of this forum the modulators for 15.00 (shipped)! Just go online, pay the 21.00 and send me a message saying "Rekognize sent me" and I will refund you 6.00 when I ship it.

I will extend this offer until 05/19/2013. So come get'm! If you can do simple wiring, you can manage this install.

And thanks AI4PX... You rock too bro! :)

ai4px
March 18th, 2013, 10:13 PM
It's late... just got called into work due to a bad storm and waiting on the machines to start running again....

Zowwie's list of things to do at an intersection is dead on...

I'd like to add
1)get a headlight modulator,
2)sew a reflective patch on the back of your jacket such as http://www.rudedogleather.com/embroidered_patches/reflective_patches/see_me_now_reflective_patch.jpg .
3)Get a reflective sticker cut at your local vinyl sign shop and put it on your helmet.
4)Don't go so fast in the twisties that you end up appearing from out of nowhere to the cagers who may be waiting to turn onto the road you are on.
5)If you are in a situation where you think surely that guy will see me and stop, he hasn't and he won't.

zowwie438
March 19th, 2013, 02:08 PM
It's late... just got called into work due to a bad storm and waiting on the machines to start running again....

Zowwie's list of things to do at an intersection is dead on...

I'd like to add
1)get a headlight modulator,
2)sew a reflective patch on the back of your jacket such as http://www.rudedogleather.com/embroidered_patches/reflective_patches/see_me_now_reflective_patch.jpg .
3)Get a reflective sticker cut at your local vinyl sign shop and put it on your helmet.
4)Don't go so fast in the twisties that you end up appearing from out of nowhere to the cagers who may be waiting to turn onto the road you are on.
5)If you are in a situation where you think surely that guy will see me and stop, he hasn't and he won't.

Yeah.. The more the better... BUT... What would REALLY work best... Is get one of those AR15 motorcycle mounts that they are using on the police bikes.

It bolts onto the rear frame and axle bolt and the AR sits really proud in clear view.

NOW THAT would take care of some tail gaters for ya. :) :)

PLUS... The cops would really see you then. Almost no chance of getting rear ended by them... Cuz they would be 50 feet back at all times. LOL

ai4px
March 19th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Instead of the AR15 mount, you could simply install a rear facing flame thrower. Really helps with the tailgaters.

http://www.likecool.com/Car/Motorcycle/FlameThrowing%20Scooter/FlameThrowing-Scooter.jpg

zowwie438
March 21st, 2013, 09:45 PM
AIPX.. Looks like that thing should be arriving soon. Check your tracking number.

Thanks again for your business!!! I really appreciate it.

Be safe out there.

++Todd

Xplorguy
March 24th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Does anyone know where I can source the appropriate LED stop/brake light to replace the std bulb?

ai4px
March 25th, 2013, 04:56 AM
I think Zowie has a bulb listed on his ebay site (along with a very cool bumper snicker). I got LEDs for my car from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ .

Wes

zowwie438
March 26th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know where I can source the appropriate LED stop/brake light to replace the std bulb?

Most brake light bulbs are a standard 1157, even in metric bikes. It's a bionet style fitting with two prongs that are offset on the sides.

LED bulbs come in many different forms... From flat panels, to round, etc, etc.

PepBoys, Autozone, ORileys and many others carry them now. Most run about 20 bucks or so. But prices are coming down.

The other option is to use LED strips... I use some from PepBoys called MAX and they are so bright they hurt your eyes! 40 bucks for two 18" strips that you can cut and configure how you want.

You can get red to put on the bike a little higher... or you can get white and use them inside your existing lense if you want.

The possibilities are endless.

Just keep the receipt... That way if you don't like the bulb or it's brightness or directional pattern... You can take it back.

choneofakind
March 26th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Get the biggest+brightest red tower-style LED replacement bulb you can from superbrightleds.com or autolumentation or a similar reputable (not ebay. Don't let the price entice you) site. Brightness and contrast between low and high are key when choosing a brake light bulb.

zowwie438
March 26th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Get the biggest+brightest red tower-style LED replacement bulb you can from superbrightleds.com or autolumentation or a similar reputable (not ebay. Don't let the price entice you) site. Brightness and contrast between low and high are key when choosing a brake light bulb.

YES!!!!! I will agree! I ran a non-profit on driver safety for many years and the contrast change from parking to brake is HUGE!!!!

On my bike... I have my factory brake light do it's thing... But I have a VERY bright LED strip that sits higher on the luggage rack that is nothing but brake.

Reason being... it's the closest thing to the cagers eye level and when I hit the brake, they have a 100% contrast change from nothing to red flashing.

This is similar reasoning behind the third brake light found on cars... There is not parking bulb feature on those. It's all brake baby... for max contrast change.

Now... If I can mount a Kinect to the back of the bike to pinpoint where the cagers eyeballs are and fire a red laser at that coordinates... Then I may be able to beam it directly to their brain. :) LOL

Xplorguy
March 26th, 2013, 01:38 PM

Why is a red LED recommended when used with a red lens as in our stop/brake lens? It would seem to me that if the LED bulb were white it would appear brighter as seen through the stop/brake lens........

choneofakind
March 26th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Incandescent bulbs make all colors of light. It appears white to us because that's how light works. Think of a lens as a color filter. It blocks all but the color you want.

With an incandescent bulb, a red lens filters all but the red light, making a bright red light for us to see.

LED's produce only a certain frequency (only one color at a time) of light. If you put a white LED behind a red lens, there's no red light coming through. The result is a pink-ish white color. However, a red LED behind a red lens makes a deep red color.

ai4px
March 26th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Why is a red LED recommended when used with a red lens as in our stop/brake lens? It would seem to me that if the LED bulb were white it would appear brighter as seen through the stop/brake lens........

LED lamps draw 1/4 the current of a regular lamp... a regular lamp would blow up the modulator by drawing too much current.

ALso, incandescent lamps take 1/2 a second to come on, LEDs are full bright within microseconds. The blink function would be lost with a lamp that took the better part of a second to come on.

Xplorguy
March 26th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Incandescent bulbs make all colors of light. It appears white to us because that's how light works. Think of a lens as a color filter. It blocks all but the color you want.

With an incandescent bulb, a red lens filters all but the red light, making a bright red light for us to see.

LED's produce only a certain frequency (only one color at a time) of light. If you put a white LED behind a red lens, there's no red light coming through. The result is a pink-ish white color. However, a red LED behind a red lens makes a deep red color.

Thanks, Chris. You just saved me from myself because I was sorely tempted to order a white led instead of red. "Pinkish-White" would be unacceptable!

superflytako
September 21st, 2013, 02:03 PM
Just installed mine today, pretty straightforward and now braking is much more animated :)

Aurodox
October 31st, 2013, 06:09 PM
Sorry for the slight bump, but what LED did you buy? That looks to have over 112 LEDs. Is it super bright and does it have a good contrast? And it fits perfectly in the brake light assembly? Last question, what base bulb do I need? Same as the turn signals (BAU15S)? Rekognize

Aurodox
November 3rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
In case anyone was wondering what LED bulb to buy, Rekognize on another forum pointed out that he used the following bulb with the modulator. :D

2X 1157 RED SMD 96-LED TURN SIGNAL LIGHTS BULBS/BULB (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-1157-RED-SMD-96-LED-TURN-SIGNAL-LIGHTS-BULBS-BULB-/330701379931?)

Hope it helps anyone interested in doing this mod. :thumbup:

NinjaJakey
December 27th, 2013, 01:28 AM
how can i get one of these in Australia?

I'm getting my bike licence in January and getting a Ninja 300,

Thank You, I wanna do everything I can to stay safe on the roads :)

PS: i don't and can't use paypal

LNasty
December 28th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I have to "back off!" modulator (Not sure if that is its proper name) installed and I have noticed that people tend to stay farther back from me at stop lights. Plus it works great when at a stop light with no one behind you, but when I see a car coming up from a distance I will release the brake and hit it a couple times to make them flash again. Definitely gets their attention

InvisiBill
January 5th, 2014, 09:05 PM

This is very true, but keep in mind that the LED color may not match the lens color exactly. In that case, most of the LED's light may still be getting filtered out. I put amber LED bulbs in my stock turn signals. The LEDs were more of a yellowish, while the stock lenses are more orange. This resulted in not much light getting through the lens. Simply swapping on clear lenses made them appear much brighter (and slightly yellower).

Similar to the third brake light providing extra contrast, going from a clear lens to a colored light also helps add contrast. Plus stray light hitting the lens won't make it look like you're hitting your brake. I hate it when I'm following a vehicle through a wooded area and stray lightbeams make it look like their brakelights keep coming on. False alarms make you less ready when they really do hit the brakes.

In addition to allowing faster flashing, the fact that LEDs light up more quickly can also make you safer. At 60mph, you'll travel 17' in the extra time it takes an incandescent bulb to come on compared to an LED. If you could automatically give the guy behind you an extra 17' to stop, wouldn't you want to?

The big problem is that it's easy to make crappy LED bulbs. A good LED light can be a nice upgrade in several ways, but a bad LED light can definitely be a downgrade.

cadd
May 26th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Man....price went up :(

InvisiBill
May 27th, 2015, 07:46 AM
http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brake-light-flasher-c-65/

These ones also have a set number of flashes, then go steady. This catches the eye of people behind you when applying the brake, without being annoying while stopped at a light for a while.

reggae5
June 10th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Man....price went up :(

And unlike the original package the recent package doesn't include the bulb anymore:(