View Full Version : Strange sound at 70+ mph

DirtyBoy
January 28th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Whenever I am going over 70 mph and let off the throttle, the front end makes a kind of grinding/clanking sound. Applying the brake makes no difference until it goes below 70. The bike has almost 11k miles on it. I am looking for suggestions on what to check for. TIA

k-os
January 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I would check out your front axle. Try greasing it a bit and see if it helps.

kkim
January 29th, 2009, 12:16 AM
at 70mph, pull in the clutch and see if it makes the noise. That would isolate it as an engine or drivetrain/wheel noise.

DirtyBoy
January 29th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. If I hold the clutch in it doesn't make any noise. Any ideas what it may be? It's still under warranty but I really don't want to have to leave it at the dealer and have to drive one of the cages. If it's something relatively easy, i would rather fix it myself.

kkim
January 29th, 2009, 03:23 PM
So, could it be RPM dependant? What rpm are you turning at 70mph and above? Find that out, then try the same rpm and higher in 5th gear instead of 6th. Does it make the same noise?

Guinss
January 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM
when you go of the throttle is it a constant noise till your under 70mph? or is it just a single clonk when you go of the throttle?

find out what rpms your using when your going faster than 70mph, then try the same in a different gear. if its not rpm dependant, you can pretty much take engine of the list of possible faults.

im guessing drive-chain/sprocket problem. or wheel-bearings.

DirtyBoy
January 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I ended up finding the problem. It turned out to be WAY too much slack in the chain. The sound was from the chain slapping on the swingarm. Thank you all very much for the suggestions.

HKr1
January 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I ended up finding the problem. It turned out to be WAY too much slack in the chain. The sound was from the chain slapping on the swingarm. Thank you all very much for the suggestions.

:thumbup::thumbup:

CC Cowboy
January 31st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Mr. Dirty, a check of your tire pressure and chain should be done before each ride. Lube chain after ride while chain is still warm (hot if the ride was alittle more intense).

DirtyBoy
February 2nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Mr. Dirty, a check of your tire pressure and chain should be done before each ride. Lube chain after ride while chain is still warm (hot if the ride was alittle more intense). I lube my chain about twice a month (1k miles a month) which is why i am surprised i didnt noticed how much it had stretched. But you are right, I should check it everyday as I do with air pressure.