View Full Version : repairing bent rearset mount

cbzdel
March 22nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
I had a bit of a low speed high side on my bike last evening, actually it was on my Ninja 300, but I am sure you 250R guys have ran into the same issue.

How do I go about fixing this, the mounting point in the frame is bent, do I just beat on the rearset until the mount bends back into place?

What do I do in this case? A new frame alone is $1500.. I would rather insurance NOT total out my bike with all the work, money and time I have into it.. This area is about 90% of the damage to the bike, as it landed on top of me, and did not slide..

http://i48.tinypic.com/35lew5c.jpg

(obviously I will need new rearsets but, I am talking about where the rearset mounts to the bike is bent as well.)

Alex
March 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Howdy! Should I move this into the 300 tech area? (generally the most helpful folks here see new posts wherever they are). I wonder if you should update your profile as well to show the new 300. :thumbup:

cbzdel
March 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
You can move it you would like, I didnt post it there only because I figure the 250R guys would have a better idea as they have been around longer.. The mounting points are exactly the same.

tooblekain
March 22nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
Is the frame made out of steel? I would say heat it up with a torch and use vise grips and bend it back.

cbzdel
March 22nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
I have one of those small propane bottle torches would that heat it up enough?

tooblekain
March 22nd, 2013, 11:54 AM
I have one of those small propane bottle torches would that heat it up enough?

Pic of torch?

I would think its good enough. IIRC the NInja 250 and 300 frame is steel, so you can bend it back easily. Using heat makes it a lot easier to bend back.

If the frame is aluminum, I would take it to a shop to have them bend it back.

Trailerboy531
March 22nd, 2013, 11:58 AM
At the track with our 250s we just slide a pipe over the foot peg and muscle that f*cker back to where it should be. Don't even use heat.

cbzdel
March 22nd, 2013, 11:58 AM
Its one of these..
http://www.rona.ca/images/12135012_L.jpg

According to Kawi specs the frame is:
Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel

Motofool
March 22nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
If you bent it without using heat, you can reshape it back using only force.

Do not use the rearset as a lever; rather, remove it first.

Then use a friend and a big crescent wrench clamped over the flat piece to which the rearset is normally bolted.

The area around the holes for the bolt is solid, farther from those it is hollow; you want the wrench applying force over the holes.

With your friend holding the bike, bend the part back to original shape.

You may need to remove the swingarm to clear the wrench for reaching all the way in.

The attached schematic shows how to straighten the support for the passenger rearset, but the same principle applies to your case.

Skyfox16
April 8th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Has anyone tried bending this piece back like the above post describes? I recently low sided and bent the same part, just not as bad.

Are you suppose to put the wrench in between the two mounting holes? Once you put the wrench on that piece to bend it, is just using your hands enough force to bend it back or do you need to use a hammer or something to tap the wrench with?

Klondike1020
April 14th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Use a large wrench and maybe a pipe for leverage. Don't heat it cause that can mess up the temper of the steel. I would try to position the wrench where the holes are so you return it to shape from the attachment points

phrenetiK
April 15th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Has anyone tried bending this piece back like the above post describes? I recently low sided and bent the same part, just not as bad.

Are you suppose to put the wrench in between the two mounting holes? Once you put the wrench on that piece to bend it, is just using your hands enough force to bend it back or do you need to use a hammer or something to tap the wrench with?

i did the exact same thing. i used a metal pipe to bend it back straight. mine was touching the chain guard and is now back straight. been a week and no issues.

CZroe
April 17th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I detected that mine were ever so slightly bent when I installed rearset adjusters and a rear hugger.

To solve it, I removed the footrest bracket and inserted extremely short bolts into the holes. I then took two of the largest adjustable wrenches I had and clamped them over the bolts length-wise (top of head to base of shaft). I levered them out using my own weight with a few small tugs instead of trying to brute-force bend it and it seemed to do the trick without putting too much force into anything other than what had already received force.

Old Lemon
April 18th, 2013, 01:19 PM
(top of head to base of shaft)

:rolleyes:

CZroe
April 18th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Durr hurr hurr. :)