View Full Version : New Grips

ninjabrewer
February 2nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Has anyone replaced the stock grips with something aftermarket? If so, why, what kind and how are they working for you.

Reason being, after riding a while, 30 min or so, my hands are almost numb. I have taken the advice of relaxing, loosening up, etc and it has worked wonders, but my hands still go numb it just takes a little longer. I am so relaxed now, if I relax any more, I will need clutch/gas pedals and something to do with my hands while riding. :rolleyes:

TIA

C.

VeX
February 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
I think maybe this is posted in the wrong forum? Oh well... Anywho, before people start chiming in with the standard, "Get some foam grips" or "Get some heavier bar ends", etc. etc...

It's all in the rider! Whenever I go up to L.A. it's 2 hours EACH way and not only do I have rubber style grips, but I don't HAVE bar ends and the only thing that's numb is my bum! :p

Yes death gripping the bars is the biggest culprit, but similarly riding position goes a long way. If you're riding sitting straight up and your elbows aren't bent it focuses a lot of energy on your wrists and hands. I keep moving around on long rides and literally rest my left elbow on the fairing and rest my head on my fist. So the left hand is free, and if you just change your grip on the throttle every couple of minutes you should be kosher. That and like getting used to wind at highway speeds, after a while you just grow accustomed to it.

ninjabrewer
February 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
that I have been working on. The interstate here is god awful shape and I am not used to riding at 65-70 yet, I have been resting my left arm across my tank bag and the basically doing the same thing you mentioned. I have seen quite a few riders here doing that. You mentioned bar ends. What does changing them do? And I know all about the numb bum, constantly moving around, changing my seat position.

Thanks

C.

Nemy
February 2nd, 2009, 11:29 PM
It's all in the rider! Whenever I go up to L.A. it's 2 hours EACH way and not only do I have rubber style grips, but I don't HAVE bar ends and the only thing that's numb is my bum! :p

forgive my ignorance, but do you mean stock when you say rubber style (i dont know what stocks are made of :o)? Or something like the progrip dual/triple density stuff? Cause I'm actually looking at those for some touring I plan on doing in 09... and wonderin how they fair on our little ninjas

but to answer brewer, bar ends usually give a bit more weight/substance = supposed to dampen vibrations.

Alex
February 3rd, 2009, 12:26 AM
The interstate here is god awful shape

Of course it's in godawful shape. It's an interstate highway that doesn't traverse more than one state. It should just rename itself an intrastate highway and be done with it. :D

ninjabrewer
February 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Of course it's in godawful shape. It's an interstate highway that doesn't traverse more than one state. It should just rename itself an intrastate highway and be done with it. :D

You should see the condition of the Trans-Pacific bridge!!!:rolleyes:

C.

HKr1
February 4th, 2009, 06:10 AM
We got some Pro-grip 724's, there really nice. Can color match your bike a bit also.

Your gonna need an impact driver to get those bar ends off. They have red loctite on them :mad:

g21-30
February 4th, 2009, 07:28 AM
You can also make removal much easier by heating the head of the bolt for about 15 seconds. I use a Mapp gas torch, but propane will work also. Since the loctite is anaerobic and fills the voids between the threads, the heat opens the voids up; thus, allowing the bolt to be unscrewed easier. Make sure to direct the flame perpendicular to the bar end, so you don't take a chance melting the grips. :thumbup:

kkim
February 4th, 2009, 10:21 AM
You can also make removal much easier by heating the head of the bolt for about 15 seconds. I use a Mapp gas torch, but propane will work also. Yep, heat and an impact wrench w/ a #3 Phillips head bit and the bar end screw comes out like buttah! :thumbup:

TonyKZ1
February 4th, 2009, 11:48 AM
+1 on the impact wrench and good phillips head bit. I replaced my original grips with a pair of Progrip 719 which also comes in several colors. I then replaced those with Oxford heated grips.
Tony

ninjabrewer
February 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM
to all, I have been looking at the ProGrips, but I wanted to find out if they were the trouble to replace. I had heard that the bar ends were a major pain to get loose Now I know.:thumbup:

Thanks

NB

Nemy
February 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
ya sounds like too much work :( especially since I don't have an impact wrench or a torch... UNLESS progrips etc. upgrades are THAT much better and worth the effort?

ninjabrewer
February 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
The way my hands have been feeling when I ride, it maybe worth it.

Thanks to all.

NB

TonyKZ1
February 5th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Well, the impact wrench that we're talking about is only around $5-$10. It's a really an impact driver not a wrench. You put a special hardened bit in it, in this case a #3 phillips head, set it in the bolt's head and smack the driver with a hammer. It's great to loosen/tighten many things on our motorcycles.
Tony

HKr1
February 5th, 2009, 07:10 AM
24.99 @ Sears :)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947641000P

Nemy
February 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
ic... thanks. Now it's time to spend some more money :rolleyes:

kkim
February 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM
You will never regret buying a good impact driver. You will use it when you are stuck in the future and you will count your blessings that you have one.

Propane torch is a few bucks for the head unit and a couple of dollars for a bottle of propane? :confused: ...besides, this is fire... we all like to play with fire, right? :D

I see these as 2 tools you will need for the rest of your life.

ninjabrewer
February 5th, 2009, 07:37 PM
You will never regret buying a good impact driver. You will use it when you are stuck in the future and you will count your blessings that you have one.

Propane torch is a few bucks for the head unit and a couple of dollars for a bottle of propane? :confused: ...besides, this is fire... we all like to play with fire, right? :D

I see these as 2 tools you will need for the rest of your life.

I have a propane torch from the things I did in VA, before we came to Hawaii, never thought about getting a impact driver,..

Thanks to All

NB

kkim
February 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM
My GF bought one for me when I was in high school and worked on dirt bikes. I have that impact driver to this day and have used it on countless projects throughout the years. Buy a good one that comes with hardened bits. You'll be using it usually under very crucial circumstances and you don't want the bit failing or stripping out.

ninjabrewer
February 5th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I put it on my short list of things to get in the future, although that list is getting mighty long right about now.:rolleyes:

NB

aloh
February 5th, 2009, 10:29 PM
wow i never knew about impact drivers...AWESOME. I will have to buy one this weekend...

kkim
February 5th, 2009, 10:43 PM
search around online to see the different type available. There are some that you can put sockets on in addition to screwdriver bits. Again, look for a driver with quality hardened bits included as they need to be very tough to take the shock of being hammered and incurring a lot of force.

minizoom
February 5th, 2009, 11:21 PM
You don't need a torch to take off the bar ends. A 40 watt soldering will do the trick. Just place the flat tip of the soldering iron on the bolt for 5+ minutes and it will screw right off. I used an infrared temp gun for temp reading of the bolt. I waited till the temp got to 190+ and it just screwed off.

g21-30
February 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM
My GF bought one for me when I was in high school and worked on dirt bikes. I have that impact driver to this day and have used it on countless projects throughout the years. Buy a good one that comes with hardened bits. You'll be using it usually under very crucial circumstances and you don't want the bit failing or stripping out.

But more importantly, do you still have the SAME GF? :confused40:

kkim
February 6th, 2009, 01:19 PM
as a matter of fact, I still do. :)