View Full Version : DIY cheap plastic "luggage" for about $15

eksine
April 6th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I made a simple cheap "luggage rack" for my 250 and wanted to show the pics. the bungee cords are 18" in the back and 24" in the front, I'm pretty sure. you could use shorter ones, but I bought these already so I used them. I bought a Sterilite brand storage box at Walmart for about $6. It has a really good strong latch. the bungees were from amazon for about $9, you could go cheaper if you bought it at Walmart or whatever. here's the ones I got

http://www.amazon.com/Highland-90086-Bungee-Cord-Assortment/dp/B000E7UIWE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365273522&sr=8-2&keywords=bungee+cord

I drilled holes at the corners and used Lexan scissors that I had from back in my radio controlled modeling days (theses are the R/C cars that go 20-60mph, not toys 'r us cars). To get the zip ties on I stretched each end of the bungee and used a marker to mark where the bungee point was in the middle of the box, then unlatched the hooks from the bike to put the zip ties on. it would be way too hard to zip tie it while it's still attached. Also I double tied it to make me feel better. the purpose of the zip ties is for extra tension so the box doesn't come off, you will need more/less tension depending on the length of your cords and the size of your box.

the extra tiny bungee cord inside is just because I had it laying around. I could use it for something, it serves no functional purpose. Any ways here's the pics if anyone want to try this. it seems really sturdy and I made this litterally so it would be strong enough to carry milk. I'll test and see.

Alex
April 6th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Neat!

cuz
April 6th, 2013, 12:36 PM
nice :thumbup:

beren
April 6th, 2013, 12:50 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/leigh7911/motorcycle/P1020133.jpg

I put a cooler on my last bike. This reminds me of that.

allanoue
April 6th, 2013, 05:55 PM
butt ugly, cheap as sh!t, pefictly functional.
That's what I'm talking about:thumbup: