View Full Version : Michael Phelps??

noche_caliente
February 2nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
So did y'all see the Michael Phelps / Bong picture? What are your thoughts?
Personally, I'm rather disappointed, but really don't care too much... I don't see where the IOC has much grounds to do anything, as it'd be hard to control when pot IS legal in some countries, like Holland for example... will be interesting to see how it shapes up!

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2009/02/01/phelps-newx-large.jpg

*edit: according to this, it does seem like it's on the banned substances list, but only during competition, so he should be ok....
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2009-02-01-michael-phelps_N.htm

Alex
February 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
I don't fault him for doing whatever he wants on his own time. I fault him for being so stupid to have a photo like this published.

From what I can tell, he is most marketable when he's in the pool and his head is underwater. The minute he opens his mouth, or tries to do just about anything in his life other than swim real fast from one side of the pool to the other, well, he comes across as a dumb-ass. Which is probably why it hasn't been that long since the Olympics, yet his endorsements are way down, and news of him won't be front-page (or front-half of newspaper), until the next Olympics.

noche_caliente
February 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
I have to agree on the dumb-ass comment.... I'm actually rather embarrassed when he talks taht he is one of our country's most noticeable athletes :(

TnNinjaGirl
February 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
I heard something about he ate like 12 thousand calories a day. Now I know why... lol.

In all seriousness though, I agree with Alex. When you are high profile you have to watch what gets more publicized more closely than the average Joe the Plumber. Other than that, it's his life, let him do whatever he wants (as long as he isn't harming Life, Liberty of the Pursuit of Happiness of others).

kazam58
February 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
I really hate to sound pessimistic, but it comes off to me as no surprise. He's young, he's an athlete, and he's successful, so he feels like he can do what he likes, which is true, i suppose. I also have to agree on the dumb-ass comment. But it seems pretty universal, look at all the unnaturally good athletes, especially think of high school. Everyone who's good at a sport is usually the dumbest s**t you could stumble across for miles and is the biggest screw off. Please don't go naming the exceptions, i meant that only as a general statement, it's not all-encompassing.
I usually try not to follow the news about any celebrities, just because I find the way the mass media follows them and every move they make so incredibly obnoxious. But it's certainly disappointing when someone like Phelps lets this happen because many very young kids look up to him and idolize him.

komohana
February 2nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
...anyone else?...who cares, right?

but his accomplishments for all to see has raised the expectations of many, for he has become that role model within societies ever judging gaze...

...which means, pay attention sonny..the fraking WORLD is watching! :ashamed20:

BlueTyke
February 2nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
OMG You mean Michael Phelps is human!! :: GASP! Crash goes the dreams of his Godliness. ::

Let us not forget that he has made mistakes before 2004 DUI...

Sailariel
February 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
I have to agree with Alex--seems like every time Phelps opens his mouth, he changes feet.

Alex
February 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
:rotflmao:

CC Cowboy
February 3rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Don't worry he didn't inhail, no wait that was someone else.

BlueTyke
February 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM
:lol:

I thought of that too...

HKr1
February 3rd, 2009, 11:15 AM
OMG You mean Michael Phelps is human!! :: GASP! Crash goes the dreams of his Godliness. ::

Bong hits for all "Humans" :drum:

k-os
February 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
I'm not surprised. Let people do what they want. Oh, and by the way, marijuana is not legal in Holland.

BlueTyke
February 3rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
South Carolina wants to press charges!

ninjabrewer
February 3rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
South Carolina wants to press charges!

:eek:

:crazy:

:ganja:

Bill05
February 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Its just a little weed. I think he's accomplished enough if he wants to toke up a little let him.
Getting it filmed for the world to see sucks for him though. I bet his mommy is pissed.

Kurosaki
February 3rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/caconfidential/drugsrbad.jpg

zartan
February 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
I would rather see him taking a bong hit then drinking a beer. Alcohol is way worse than dope. I am not talking hard scary drugs ,just pot.

I watched my family crumble due to LEGAL booze and pills.

I hope he has a hit for me . I had to quit years ago due to allergies. :(

why is the news reporting this crap??

BlueTyke
February 4th, 2009, 07:30 AM
why is the news reporting this crap??

Because it is Michael Phelps ;)

cwb48
February 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Don't know if you all are aware of it, but Mark Spitz has admitted that he smoked pot between his events when he won his gold medals. To me, this does a lot to dispel the image of the pothead loser.

The local law where the photo of Phelps was taken says that he will charge and prosecute him if they can prove it. Go figure.

Chris

Sailariel
February 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I don`t think that pot is harmless---in young children between 9 and 16, there is a pretty good chance that the child could develop, what we in the business called Amotivational Syndrome. Personally,I think that Cannabis Sativa (that is the REAL name of the substance before some do gooder minister from Maine came up with the name Marijuana and the movie Reefer Madness) has been demonized. It is common knowledge that alcohol is much more harmful. Cannabis has some very legitimate and effective use in the treatment of Glaucoma, Nausea in people undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, and the treatment of Post Traumatic stress Disorder. I still vividly remember 1982 when my father was undergoing chemo. This muscular 200lb person wasted away to the point that if he drank some tomato juice he would look like a thermometer. Well, enough was enough. I went out and scored for some cannabis and baked some brownies. My father`s recovery was dramatic. He also lived another 10 years. If I would have been caught scoring for the cannabis back them, my professional license would have been revoked, and I would have surely gone to jail. Thank God that most states have at least decriminalized cannabis. Phelps was a dumb ass for allowing the picture. Even in today`s "enlightened" society this seemingly innocent indiscretion will cost him dearly in the form of endorsements, etc. A bit of Trivia: Did you know that "Canvas" is a bastardization of Cannabis? Did you also know that the Declaration of Independence and The Constitution are penned on paper made from cannabis? Cannabis costs less to grow than corn and produces fibre for clothing, fibre for paper--saving many trees, and what is left can be used to make Ethanol. Our government just doesn`t get it. Lest I be labeled as a "pothead", I have tried it on two ocassions when I was in Vietnam--I DID inhale--and went into a sneezing jag. Seems like I must be allergic to the stuff. There is always Glenlivet.

KnoxNinja
February 7th, 2009, 12:02 PM
See, I told you! If you smoke weed, you'll just sit on the couch all day and never amount to anything. You'll never make it to the Olympics and win gold medals and break records... oh wait... did he just disprove that? Sorry kids, here's your weed back. Just don't go having premarital sex or you'll get the AIDS!

I could care less if the guy smokes weed. I think the real moral of the story here is not to worship athletes as superheros.

zartan
February 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM
No it isn't the best for you or your lungs. Any kids out there It is different now. too strong. don't smoke anything. Keep those lungs pink!! If you do You should wait until you are 18. ( you're welcome parents)

I started at 12 quit at 28
I had motivation. I found a home and finished high school. Owned my own company at 20. Go figure. I am glad I wasn't one of those kid. Thou I can't swim very well.

k-os
February 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Alex I completely agree with you. An acre of hemp (cannabis with less than 1% THC) field could also yield the same amount of fiber needed for paper as 10 (I think this was the number) acres of trees. Hemp also grows faster than trees. At one point in the United States it was illegal to not grow hemp. I've watched so many documentaries and I still don't understand why people are deathly afraid of mairjuana, let alone hemp that has no medicinal value whatsoever.

NJD022588
February 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM
At one point in the United States it was illegal to not grow hemp. I've watched so many documentaries and I still don't understand why people are deathly afraid of mairjuana, let alone hemp that has no medicinal value whatsoever.

During the prohibition period in America, marijuana was the drug of choice. It was legal and could be bought anywhere. It actually became illegal when those people in Washington who didnt like it used an excuse that many Mexicans were crossing the border, getting high, and causing havoc in southern Texas towns. This may have been true on a few instances, but many Americans at the time were using it safely.

In my opinion, it's only still illegal since it's very hard to enforce the amount of THC consumed. The government cant say "Dont drive if you have had more than 2 hits." They can enforce alcohol because of the breathalyzer.

Phelps just shouldnt have been stupid enough to get caught...

Bill05
February 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Man I just got educated on weed on ninjette. I never thought that would happen.

I think theres nothing wrong with taking a hit every once in awhile. When you do it all day every day it can affect you as far as being stupid and unmotivated.

noche_caliente
February 7th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I read on another forum today that Kellog has pulled his sponsorship and the American Swim team has put him on probation for 3 months....

BlueTyke
February 7th, 2009, 08:01 PM
From what I heard the Kellog deal was already ending they are just choosing not to renew it at this point..

I did hear they put him on probation though. Which I think is a fair punishment for his coaching/swimming. Hopefully he will learn.

Now if the media would just let it go. There are other more important things they could be covering. Heck! People in my neighborhood aren't on the news and they sell the stuff!