View Full Version : Two Days of Dragon

TnNinjaGirl
February 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
An impromptu trip to the Dragon this weekend ends in one heck of an adventure.

Thursday night Nathan and I go to pick up his new bike. A tried and true 1992 Honda Nighthawk 750. Wonderful bike. Weather is frigid. Light is scarce. Bike needs some work. That doesn't stop us though. We pick up the bike and have it back at the shop a little after dark.

Friday starts off as any other day would. To work by 9, talk with the boss about projects to do that day and get them done. Nathan finds himself a nice little place to start working on the Nighthawk to get her road worthy and goes to town. A bunch of cursing and hard work goes by and its lunch time. Boss gets the shop Little Caesers $5 pizzas and we pick up a bite to eat. A New Bug comes in and I hurry up to finish that up as Nathan talks to the owner of the car. All she needs is a simple oil change and an air filter and she's on her way. Good news, it's lunchtime and all of the projects are done for the day. Time to GO!!!!!

The journey begins... With the Nighthawk ready to roll and my Ninjette sittting there jealous as she has to watch Nathan work on the Honda all day, we take off with no real destination. After some cruising on the highway we stop at a dealership and see what's going on there. Not too much so we take off on the interstate to see my Mom's boyfriend across town. Of course there is a wreck on the interstate so it's slow going. I never get a real taste for my new Two Brothers pipe and Nathan never gets to unleash the Nighthawk. Continuing on, we get to the dealership. Nothing is going on there. Luckily there is a Cycle Gear across the parking lot. We head over there and do a little shopping for the Nighthawk. One clutch lever, some busted pliers and a screwdriver later, the Nighthawk has a new clutch lever and is shifting gears much better. It's late, it's dark, it's time to head home. After a good ride and promise of good weather the next day, we decide to bite the bullet and head off to the Dragon on Saturday.

Saturday comes and we head over to the shop to get the bikes out for a nice run to the Dragon. The weather is nice, both bikes are in good running order and the owners are more than ready to get some riding in after a long week. The trip starts well. Up Pellissippi Parkway to Alcoa Highway. Mosey on down 411 and turn to 129 at the corner market. Weather is still promising, traffic is decent, bikes are loving the attention. We stop at Chilhowee Dam for a short break and enjoy the scenery. Our nerves are starting to get a little tense as this is the first ride up the Dragon for Nathan and the first for me on a bike. Moving up the mountain, no cops, no traffic, life is great. We get up to the Overlook and once again enjoy the scenery, talk to a fellow biker and try to calm our nerves down. I lead off and Nathan follows as we twist and turn through the infamous weaves and dips.

It's easy to see how so many people are injured and killed in these majestic passes. So close to such a steep drop, so near to a speeding car coming around the next blind curve. Art in motion atop one of the most incredibly crafted roads of all time. It's nothing short of incredible. Trusting yourself more than you ever have, your bike as much as you can, and other drivers more than you ever will. Reaching Tapaco Lodge leaves you shaking scared and wanting more at the same time.

After a lengthy rest and a quick laugh at a Roush Mustang trying to act cool, we head off again back towards Tennessee. Once again, back and forth through the wringing asphalt. Words can't describe the feeling of running the Dragon on a perfect day. You can only know if you've done it. We reach the Overlook to regroup and rest. Shortly after we head back to Knoxville to eat dinner with my family for my Nana's birthday. It's late, dark and really cold before we get back to the shop to put our bikes to bed for the night.

Sunday gets here in a hurry and the weather could not be any better. Nathan starts cleaning up the Nighthawk and I shim my needles to get some much needed fuel to my starving Ninja. She also gets a nice bath and a towel dry for appreciation of such a nice ride the day before. Nathan loads up the Nighthawk and heads home. Thats when the real fun begins...

I can't let such a good day go to waste, so I call up Jimi and head over to his house. As i pull up his friend Chris and he decide they are headed up to the Dragon on the Ninja 500 and Chris's RX-8. After approving my company we head off to the Dragon. At the Overlook Jimi sets up the camera on Chris's car and they take off to get some good footage. I tag along at my own pace and enjoy the scenery and the seat of your pants experience. Nothing much to report as I pull into Tapaco Lodge with Jimi and Chris waiting.

Lo and behold but who do we see? Well it's Killboy, his wife and their crew!! Chris goes over to introduce himself and Jimi and I follow. We talk about bikes, cars and a few things in between before Killboy makes a comment on my bike. I about freak out. Killboy... made a comment... on my Ninja 250... The same man who sees thousands of vehicles a day is impressed by MY bike. It was hard getting my helmet back on after that one.

Killboy and his crew take off towards home, leaving Kamal to head back towards Maryville on his lonesome. Chris leaves Jimi and I to chat for a while and head back by ourselves. The ride back is met with an 18 wheeler who decided he was going to be slick and try to give the Dragon a try. If it weren't for Jimi You'd probably be reading my obituary instead of my adventurous weekend. After that scare, we turn up at the Overlook a few minutes later.

We are greeted by an amazing sunset at the Overlook. Jimi suggests I put the camera on my bike, so we set it up. I thought we were ready to go, so I take off. I get down to the lake and pull off to one of the side roads and wait, and wait, and wait. I realize Jimi just isn't coming. I'm scared, it's late, it's dark and I'm alone out in the middle of nowhere (insert Deliverance music). I head back. I ride and ride and ride. Pulling up to the Overlook I see two figures leaning over a very familiar looking Ninja 500. Apparently, Jimi's 500 sprang a fuel leak and Kamal took most of the bike apart to fix it. They get it going and we head down to the gas station. Once again, same problem. The fix? Take the bike back apart.

Now, I have met some good people in my life, but my hat goes off to Kamal (I hope I have been spelling his name right). He is the owner of the corner market at 411 and 129 I come to find out at our second stop. This man, with who knows what else to be doing with his time, followed Jimi and I to safety. He took the bike apart several times, followed us to safety and made sure we were well taken care of. When we arrived at the corner market, he gives me hot cocoa on the house. This man is trying to run a business and has already given so much, but he gives even more. It touches my heart to meet people like this.

After a cocoa rest and some good conversation, Jimi and I head off back towards Knoxville. The time is around 8pm and I had not thought to bring my clear face shield because I thought we'd be back long before dark. My hands are cold because I brought my summer gloves and not my winter gloves. I'm cold, miserable and tired. WAA!!!!!

Jimi and I split ways at Pellissippi Parkway with the 500 seeming fine and both of us tired and chilly.

This had to be one of the most adventurous weekends of my life. I can't complain about any of it. I'd rather be miserable on a bike with friends than sitting home watching TV. I couldn't ask for better friends, a better bike or better roads.

noche_caliente
February 2nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I'm so jealous! So where is the video and/or pictures?!?! I can't wait to see them :) Congrats on your first dragon run!

Alex
February 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Great post!

Should have asked for some complimentary ninjette action shots from Killboy. ;)

TnNinjaGirl
February 2nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Killboy was enjoying a day off. I was so graced by his presence I was speechless anyways.

Just put some pictures in my album. I'll try and post them. Jimi has the videos. Send him numerous PM's to get him to post them. He also got some more shots of the bikes and some other stuff.

noche_caliente
February 2nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Jimi has the videos. Send him numerous PM's to get him to post them. He also got some more shots of the bikes and some other stuff.

Done! :D

TnNinjaGirl
February 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=423

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=424

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=425

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=426

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=427

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=428

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=429

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=430

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=431

komohana
February 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
thanx for sharing that one... :clapping:

those...THOSE are the kind of weekends that leave ya buzz'in on the high of it all for the entire week to come!

:rapture:

noche_caliente
February 2nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
great pics! :)

BlueTyke
February 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
I am soooo jealous!! Lucky you!

Sounds like a really great time!

KnoxNinja
February 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Kamal is my hero. I'd send him some flowers but I think he'd get the wrong idea. I don't know what's more surprising... the fact that he had the tools that fit my bike with him or the fact that he actually gave up all that time and effort to help out a fellow rider with a busted fuel line. I'm in his debt.

Darryl (Killboy) is a stand-up guy as well. He and the other locals are up there every week - sometimes every day - clearing debris, responding to accidents, and taking awesome shots in between. I have prints of his from just about everything I've driven up there over the past 5 years.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jesusforsale2/1-31-09/Motodragonandsnow005.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jesusforsale2/1-31-09/Motodragonandsnow006.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jesusforsale2/1-31-09/Motodragonandsnow007.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jesusforsale2/1-31-09/Motodragonandsnow008.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jesusforsale2/1-31-09/Motodragonandsnow009.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jesusforsale2/1-31-09/Motodragonandsnow010.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jesusforsale2/1-31-09/IMG_0686-1.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jesusforsale2/1-31-09/IMG_0683a-1.jpg

I'm too busy sorting through all these PM's to get to the video :D

Actually, I've got nearly 45 minutes of video from that ride, so I've got a lot of cutting to do. I'll get some clips up as soon as I can, as long as Alex can help me out with the Vimeo code because I'm still clueless on how that works.

That was one hell of a ride. It's such a different experience on a motorcycle. The way the road banks and it feels like you're leaning father than you are... how you can nearly reach out and grab the lines on the road as they rush by... hugging the pavement with nothing more than a few millimeters of leather and kevlar. That was absolutely terrifying. I can't wait to do it again.

Next week is shaping up to be even nicer, perhaps. So rest assured I'll be making another trip up. Anyone who wants to come is invited! So my to-do list this week includes NEW FUEL LINES, as well as some brackets so I can finally mount up the lower targa fairing.

Oh, and a quick note about East Tennessee weather - those pics are from yesterday, 56 degrees, sunny, and beatiful. This was today...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jesusforsale2/1-31-09/Motodragonandsnow019.jpg

BlueTyke
February 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Great pictures and awesome views!!

Note:
Pssst black out those plates!! not that I think anyone on Ninjette is out to get you but... You never know who is *out there*. :)

TnNinjaGirl
February 2nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
My bike is in the same picture as Killboy... ::faints::

That was one interesting trip. Thanks for that, Jimi. We ended up getting 3 inches in North Knoxville. From mid 60's to 3 inches of snow in less than 24 hours. Insane...

You ended up getting some really nice shots. I'm excited about the video. I don't want to watch myself ride though after all those pointers. lol. I am curious about that semi though...

KnoxNinja
February 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Yeah well... you won't see yourself well enough to critique, no worries. The wide angle of the camera makes everything in the center quite small and the quality isn't that great. Not to mention the camera was too low on my tank so you couldn't see much through my tinted windscreen. I did get a glimpse of that semi on there.

KnoxNinja
February 3rd, 2009, 01:39 AM
Alright, video time...

I trimmed it down to under 10 minutes.

TnNinjaGirl
February 3rd, 2009, 06:38 AM
I see you didn't get any sleep again... Great video. Brings back memories. How'd the last footage in the dark come out?

250biker
February 3rd, 2009, 06:41 AM
Great report! That was a great weekend. :)

HKr1
February 3rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
Nice! :thumbup:

KnoxNinja
February 3rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the fix, Alex. How does that work, anyway?

I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead. Your post-darkness footage is at the end! Did you miss it? The photos I took after the fuel leak didn't come out at all. Just too dark for that camera.

Nathan, you gonna be back up this way next weekend?

TnNinjaGirl
February 3rd, 2009, 07:13 AM
Duh... didnt load that far the first time. Just watched it. My bike sounds good if I must say so myself.

We are going to Johnson City this weekend. lol Maybe I'll stop speaking for Nathan and let him chime in...

KnoxNinja
February 3rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
Jerks :D I'll probably hit up the Dragon again, because I'm consistently cool.

Alex
February 3rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the fix, Alex. How does that work, anyway?

Hi Jimi. Instructions are right at the top of the video section:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5900

To see what it looks like, just go in and hit "edit" on your post and you'll see what I did.

- Alex

komohana
February 3rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
:happy100:

cool video...thanx for the views

KnoxNinja
February 3rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
Hi Jimi. Instructions are right at the top of the video section:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5900

To see what it looks like, just go in and hit "edit" on your post and you'll see what I did.

- Alex

Awesome! That should be pretty easy from now on. Thanks :thumbup:

TnNinjaGirl
February 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
If anyone wants to take a ride up there contact me or Jimi (yes I just volunteered you) and well get something set up.

KnoxNinja
February 3rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Sounds like I have been enlisted!

TnNinjaGirl
February 3rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Don't even pretend like you don't want to go.

KnoxNinja
February 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
It's supposed to be around 60 on Saturday and Sunday, and more importantly for me, Monday too. I'll probably make a run on Monday because I'm off and I can skip the whole traffic bit.

TnNinjaGirl
February 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
You suck. :)

You should see what I did to my bike today. Also, I had a massive exhaust leak. My pipe was about to fall off. I'll have some pics up tomorrow of all the improvements I made to her today.

OldGuy
February 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the ride CB - nice video and makes me want to go out even if it is 14 degrees and falling. :(

KnoxNinja
February 3rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
OldGuy... Nebraska? Is there anywhere good to ride up there? I've always wondered how you guys manage in the plain states.

It's 15 degrees here. My blood type is 20w50. There's no way I would start in this weather.

Can't wait to see the improvements. Not good to have your exhaust fall off mid-ride!

OldGuy
February 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Well everywhere in Nebraska is good to ride but I could be a "little" biased. Nothing like the Dragon or the ride in CA the folks talk about. Maybe one of my cold winter night activities can be looking over the State map and try to find some good roads to go try out when it warms up.

KnoxNinja
February 3rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
I've never been out there, but I was under the impression that the roads were all very flat and straight throughout much of the state.

250biker
February 4th, 2009, 07:37 AM
T

Nathan, you gonna be back up this way next weekend?

I should be up around there this weekend. What will i be doing? I have no idea, lol. The only thing i know is I'm going to be on two wheels. I'm no speed racer in the turns, but i love cruising around the dragon.

KnoxNinja
February 4th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Sweet. 3 bikes... that's a certified gang. I'm no speed racer either since I've only got around 1000 miles or more under my belt. Hopefully traffic won't be too bad... I don't want a line of angry GSX-R's behind me all day.

250biker
February 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Sweet. 3 bikes... that's a certified gang. I'm no speed racer either since I've only got around 1000 miles or more under my belt. Hopefully traffic won't be too bad... I don't want a line of angry GSX-R's behind me all day.

hmmm, a gang. Whats the name of the gang? How about the Awesome certified bad asses? ACBA for short :D. Im stoked! I got to go make up some colors for a soon to be lether vest! Oh and Cory....do we have to have pink? I guess pink could be bad ass.
:jumping40:

TnNinjaGirl
February 4th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hey!!! CBA are my initials!!! We don't have to have pink if ya'll don't want to. In fact, I recommend neither of you wear pink. We do need to get some Dragon stickers for our bikes though.

KnoxNinja
February 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Holy hell yes, Dragon stickers. I was thinking about that when I was up there, wishing the store was open. I almost bought extras when I was up in October because I knew this would happen, but I ended up with three stickers on one Subaru :D

Our colors should be pink and green. Green will make us fast, and pink will make us uncool.

kkim
February 4th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Never mind fast... just make sure you're in control. The speed will come with the confidence in your riding ability. Have fun you guys, but remember to ride at your own pace and refuse to be pushed beyond your limits. Bad things happen when people get together and start trying to outdo one another. Just ride and be happy that you're sharing with fellow enthusiasts. :thumbup:

have fun, ride safe.
:)

TnNinjaGirl
February 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Last report is that Nathan is bringing up the 250 this weekend instead of the Nighthawk.

I'm totally opposed to green. Jimi, we can't make them think they are more special than they already think they are. Pink would also make you two look like total girls. Which would be hilarious for me, but kinda difficult if you were trying to impress the ladies. We'll have to come up with a cool idea.

Also, if anyone else wants to join in on the fun this weekend, PM either Jimi or me and we can set up a meeting place and time. Visitors welcome!!!

KnoxNinja
February 4th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks Kelly, no worries about competition. I don't care if anyone is faster than me, I only care that I don't plant my bike into the side of a tree or semi-truck. We know our limits.

Alright fine, no green. How about off-white? Yeeaah. I don't care about impressing anyone, although I don't want to be hit on by other riders before I can get my helmet off.

I second that, the more the merrier. Perhaps we can plan a more official group ride up there when we get more consistent weather.

TnNinjaGirl
February 4th, 2009, 08:09 PM
lol Kelly, I was crawling compared to Jimi. I made Chris (RX-8 driver) upset I think because he was following me for a while and he wanted to go alot faster than I was going. That's the nice thing about being a girl, not so much testosterone. Besides, I'd much rather get hit by a semi than have my Nana beat me for being an idiot.

Hey, mayber we can just get Ninjette shirts for our club. Though you and Nathan are kind of cheaters because you both have Ninjettes but ya'll never ride them. Blasphemy!!

Alex
February 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hey, maybe we can just get Ninjette shirts for our club.

:whistle: Clicky... (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)

TnNinjaGirl
February 4th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Hmm Alex, I wonder where I got the idea... lol. I had my eye on the Women's Raglan Hoodie and the Womens Logo Jr. Raglan.

I think I'll get Jimi a Ninjette Teddy Bear. He can hold the camera for you and enjoy the ride too. :)

Alex
February 4th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I'm looking forward to getting many of those new logos up into that store as well; I'll start that project sometime next week.

KnoxNinja
February 4th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Nah, Chris didn't care. He doesn't like to push his beloved Mazda anyway. Never race a car (or bike) that you're still making payments on.

I'd like to ride my 250 up there sometime, but it's going to need a lot of work first. That motor would explode on the ride over at this point. So I'll just have to do what I can with the heftier half-liter variant. The handling is still excellent.

I think I'm gonna rock the BBQ apron. You never know when you could run into some BBQ spare ribs while navigating the twisties.

TnNinjaGirl
February 5th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Kiss the cook!!

KnoxNinja
February 5th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Better yet, I could wear it backwards as a cape.

Kaptain Kawasaki to the rescue! Saving lives and leaking fuel...

TnNinjaGirl
February 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Let's not ever scare Corey like that again. Anyone who wants to go along, please make sure your bike is in proper running order.

If not, we are tossing you in the lake.

KnoxNinja
February 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM
So if your bike isn't in proper running order, make sure it will float.

Tomorrow's project - pontoons!