View Full Version : Front Fairing Removal?

ARc
February 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
Hi all. My speedometer cable has a nasty habit of detaching itself due to vibration during operation. It shook itself loose while I was on the freeway today, and the engine died mid-operation (I don't know if it was due to lack of gas or carburetor problems. Seemed to have a hard time starting back up). But that's another post.

I was working on getting the front fairing off today. Started with removing the bottom fairing, which went without a hitch. But as I was disconnecting the front, I noticed that the turn signals are connected. Reading the service manual, they said to disconnect it, but I have no clue where. On the Ninja250 FAQ site, they said it was under the fuel tank (black wire on left side, grey on right), but I had a hard time finding that as well.) I was wondering how you guys disconnect the turn signals in able to pull off the fairing. I was also entertaining the idea of turning the bike into a Streetfighter so this applies as well.

OldGuy
February 3rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
Look on the inside of the fairing where the turn signals come through. Follow the wire back from each side and you should come to some quick disconnects that will pull apart (2 wires). There should be one wire on each side that is the same like a black with yellow stripe, and then another wire like gray on the right and green on the left.

ARc
February 3rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks OldGuy, that was really informative. I took another look at the wiring and it seems like the wires are bound together with electrical tape. Should I attempt to move it before doing the disconnects? Also, do you have any pictures referring to the disconnects you're talking about? I found 2 that might be what you're referring to, but am afraid to disconnect them in fear of not being able to put them back together again.

OldGuy
February 3rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
If the turn signals are "after market" whoever installed them may have just soldered the wires together or twisted them and then wrapped them in electrical tape. You won't know until you unwrap the tape and find the "hidden treasure" :)

If you have quick disconnects they should look something like these

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/DonGray43/2001%20Ninja/CIMG3960.jpg

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/DonGray43/2001%20Ninja/CIMG3962.jpg

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/DonGray43/2001%20Ninja/CIMG3961.jpg

ARc
February 4th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Yea they look NOTHING like that. They are aftermarket flush lights. I'm guessing the previous owner broke one of the lights when he dropped it, and swapped it with aftermarket turn signals. I broke one of the wires, and it came out of the shrink wrap, so time to bring out the soldering iron and solder...

I was on my way home today, but when i got back, I couldn't help but keep going past where I turn into my residential, and ride some more ;D

kkim
February 4th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Jeff... you need to fix your user info where it says: "motorcycles". you still have it presently listed as "none yet". :)

hooked, eh? :lol:

ARc
February 4th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Will get on that immediately. hehe.

komohana
February 4th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Jeff... you need to fix your user info where it says: "motorcycles". you still

:director: details..DETAILS!..:director:

kkim
February 4th, 2009, 01:09 AM
jus trying to help the boy out... I know with him just getting his bike, he's oblivious to the rest of the world around him. Great time in a rider's life. :D

OldGuy
February 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Y so time to bring out the soldering iron and solder...

Jeff I hope your talking about solder on some bullet connectors and not just soldering the wire together. Trust me you will take the front fairing off again and if you solder them on . . . well :hitself:

ARc
February 4th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Doh! Point taken, lol.

Thanks Don! :)

OldGuy
February 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Any time Jeff.

Ownership of your first motorcycle is the start of a whole new thought and learning process (ask me how I know). Don't be afraid to ask any questions on this forum. While "other" forums seem to enjoy jumping on people with basic questions this forum will give you straight talk.

However, don't be surprised if you get some tough love from time to time if you ask for advice and then don't follow it. I learned that lesson from my Dad as a "young lad" when I went to him for advice on something and he looked at me and said "No - recently you've asked for my advice and then ignored it without an explanation. You must not see any value in the knowledge I share with you." Can you say feeling lower that whale sh!^?

Have fun and ride safe.

tapdiggy
March 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I was also entertaining the idea of turning the bike into a Streetfighter so this applies as well.

I just pulled my fairing and relocated my turn signals to achieve streetfighter-ness. No modded headlight mounts here.

Verus Cidere
March 29th, 2009, 12:20 AM
ARc, you might want to look into making some auto-disconnectors like the stock ones. That's what I did with my Signals and my LED kits, so I could remove the fairings if I ever need to. You can buy things like these at a hardware store for less than $5 a pack, which (in my case) contained 8 sets of connectors. They aren't as nice as the stock ones, but they work just about as well.

Sound Wave
March 31st, 2009, 04:26 AM
ARc, you might want to look into making some auto-disconnectors like the stock ones. That's what I did with my Signals and my LED kits, so I could remove the fairings if I ever need to. You can buy things like these at a hardware store for less than $5 a pack, which (in my case) contained 8 sets of connectors. They aren't as nice as the stock ones, but they work just about as well.

i assume he must have done it by now, but yeah, those connectors are great. radio shack sells some real cheap.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104018
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103507