View Full Version : What headphones do you use?

dewby
February 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Just curious what kind of headphones you guys are using when you ride? I was thinking about getting a pair of stealth headsets and using a radio shack y adapter to merge the two together, what do you guys think?
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8894/headphonesvi4.jpg
this is just a simplified version of coarse but i thought it work well because it has an ear plug shape at the end of it. i am hoping the little coil wouldn't really feel weird in the helmet.

Sailariel
February 4th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I, personally feel that listening to music while riding is a distraction that causes a dangerous situation. Just my 2 cents worth.

kkim
February 4th, 2009, 06:40 PM
some good info in this thread.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10209&highlight=earplugs

welcome to the forum.
:)

OldGuy
February 4th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Welcome to the forum John.

For me personally I've got to go with Alex on this one. Without a cage around me to give me some level of protection if I miss a developing situation I don't want any distractions of any kind.

But that's just me.

Viper-Byte
February 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I don't usually ride without my headphones (though I have recently to listen to the soundtrack of my AreaP CF Exhaust :D ), I like to block the wind noise, but I ride with the volume so low that I can still hear everything around me if music is playing, a lot of the time I don't even have music playing.

I have the Sennheiser CX300 (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_classic-line_cxseries-earphones-cx-300?Open&path=private_headphones_classic-line_cxseries)

BlueTyke
February 4th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I ride with my ipod but only have one ear bud in. I use the Skull Candy buds. I don't know the specific name.

Be sure to double check your state law to make sure it is legal...

k-os
February 4th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I ride with my ipod but only have one ear bud in. I use the Skull Candy buds. I don't know the specific name.

Be sure to double check your state law to make sure it is legal...

The Smokin' Buds? I've been looking at getting some of these. How do you like them? Comfortable?

BlueTyke
February 4th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I don't know if they are smokin buds. I picked them up at target for about $15 bucks...

komohana
February 4th, 2009, 09:10 PM
welcome to the forum :yo:

during my Interceptor riding days of the '80's i rigged a pair of nothing-ish walk-man type headphones into my helmet and enjoyed some tunes while on the road. i love music, and since returning to the road on the EX i've been tempted to see what's out there as technology has definately come a long way since then... :mullet:

but i've concluded that music would take away precious coin-age from my dollar's worth of attention that i have to spend while riding the way i like to ride.

also, the seclusion that riding places on the world while i AM riding...is something i'm not willing to part with just yet..

aloha &

:welcome:

travis5018
February 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I only pop in the headphones on my 4 hour ride back to orlando, the wind noise goin 85 is just way to killer without music, although I hope the Puig DB im getting tomorrow is gonna help....

I use these cheap headphones called jvc gummys, stick in your ear and are fine with a helmet on

Nemy
February 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Welcome to the forum John.

For me personally I've got to go with Alex on this one. Without a cage around me to give me some level of protection if I miss a developing situation I don't want any distractions of any kind.

But that's just me.

I'm with you guys as well. I'd rather have no distractions and be able to hear every horn and screeching tire before it's too late...

That and I provide my own music by humming and singing out loud :rolleyes: I was actually told that people could hear me when they pulled up beside me :D

Kurosaki
February 4th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I, personally feel that listening to music while riding is a distraction that causes a dangerous situation. Just my 2 cents worth.

I feel it completely varies from person to person more than a black or white answer.

Some people can't have music in their ears and still concentrate. I don't mean just riding but multitasking doing other things or anything. Reading, studying, working, driving, etc.

As far as riding, some people can't keep their concentration, ego, and/or testosterone in check when their favorite tunes come on. Hell, some people get distracted easy from thoughts running through their mind all the time.

I have my ipod in all the time whether it be in the city, on the highway, or up in the canyons. The earphones don't go up very loud and it's about all the volume that is necessary. It's low enough that I can still be talked to at a stop. I can still hear everything around me as if I didn't have them in at all. When I get to the aggressive riding, I notice I tend to tune out the music. Once I stop I hear it again.

I also do my work in the office and school work with earphones in for years. As well as sleep with music on. So I'm pretty accustomed to doing things with music without excessive distraction.

ARc
February 4th, 2009, 11:32 PM
While I'm riding, all I need to hear are horns, people yelling at me, sirens, and the music my engine makes. If I can't hear those things, I'd be boned.

But off my motorcycle, I enjoy listening through these.

http://homepage.mac.com/maxwax11/iblog/C22799553/E20050929125304/Media/grado%203.jpg

aloh
February 4th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I have shure E2's, but unfotunately, I cannot wear them while riding. When i try to put on my helmet I am met with lots of pain caused by the pressure of the earbuds. They are just too large.

devinjc
February 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I wear Etymotic Er-6i's. Love em, and rarely ride without them. Of course, if you listen to country while riding you're being very unsafe no matter the conditions....

But then I'm one of those people that does everything possible with music as I find it helps me focus. As for hearing horns, I don't feel the need to hear them since I'm certain it's not directed at me (seriously, people only blow horns when people are in their way, I don't get in people's way). And sirens, well I usually see the source long before it gets to me.

It's like blindness sharpening the other senses really. I know that I can't use audio cues and so I rely even more on visuals and am constantly scanning my surroundings. Of course, I can still hear horns and sirens, I just don't rely on being able to.