View Full Version : What do you do with long hair?

Countrygirl
February 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hi,

I am new to riding and I just wanted to know what you do with long hair while you ride?

I've got long hair that goes down to the middle of my back. Do I tuck it into my coat or let it flow out over the coat?

I find that when I do put it in my coat it's sometimes hard to turn my head if my hair gets stuck in my coat.

However, I've had guys tell me that if you have your hair outside that it can get caught in vehicles as you pass them? Is this true or was he just pulling my leg?

Do I put it in a braid, tuck it in or out? I don't want to put it in a braid, cuz 1. I suck at braiding on myself, 2. I don't like the kinks it puts in my hair. (vain, I know :rolleyes: )

Put it in a ponytail?

What do you do? What works the best?

HKr1
February 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Wife puts hers into a ponytail.

I use to fold mine up a couple times, then into a ponytail. Had some bad rat nest before if I didnt. < Then I joined the Navy, dont have that problem any more :)

And Welcome to the Forum!

kkim
February 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Aloha Jo,

Don't have solution to your hair dilemma, but wanted to welcome you to the forum. :wave:

Post up an intro thread in the new member's section when you have a chance.

:)

BlueTyke
February 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Hi,

I am new to riding and I just wanted to know what you do with long hair while you ride?

I've got long hair that goes down to the middle of my back. Do I tuck it into my coat or let it flow out over the coat?

I find that when I do put it in my coat it's sometimes hard to turn my head if my hair gets stuck in my coat.

However, I've had guys tell me that if you have your hair outside that it can get caught in vehicles as you pass them? Is this true or was he just pulling my leg?

Do I put it in a braid, tuck it in or out? I don't want to put it in a braid, cuz 1. I suck at braiding on myself, 2. I don't like the kinks it puts in my hair. (vain, I know :rolleyes: )

Put it in a ponytail?

What do you do? What works the best?

I braid mine. Sorry I don't care if the crinks are there if I don't have rats nest to deal with when I am done. I have never tucked my hair into my jacket because it irratates my back.

As for it getting caught... Has never happened to me but I think if it did it would be a few strands not a huge hunk of hair.

When I had long hair and braided it (Which I will again soon considering I am growing my hair out) I always just let the braid hang.

Braiding is not the only thing you can do but one of the easier ways. I have seen people use hair ties in multiple places so one at the base of the neck then spaced down the length of the hair till the end. Not crimp resistant but not a braid.

Also if that still does not suit what your looking for you can always look into hair gizmos and such. Like the leather Ponytail sheaths (thats what I call them.) Leme see if I can find one

Here http://www.hairglovecycle.com/ExtendedProducts.asp

You can also do what others have done and put your pony tail through your helmet... http://www.ironhorsehelmets.com/PONYTAILS.htm
(I am so kidding with that)

Countrygirl
February 5th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate the insight.

I LOVE those Leather Ponytail Sheaths!!!! They are snazzy! Thanks! I'm going to order a couple! :thumbup:

KJohnson21
February 5th, 2009, 01:25 PM
:welcome:

Joanne, we're glad to have another member!

I had long hair for a while, about your length. I always did two hair bands, one at the base of the neck, the other at about halfway down of what's left. I'd brush it out, when I could, after I arrived. Of course, longer rides make it a bit more tangled.

Your hair would have to be pretty out of control for there to be any danger from passing vehicles. At that point there would probably be a greater danger to your own visibility, with the hair whipping in your face and stuff.

TnNinjaGirl
February 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM
My hair is currently short, but when I rode dirtbikes back in the day my hair was down to the middle of my back. I always just kept it in a loose ponytail so I could slide my helmet on and off. Worked fine. I never really got any tangles but I also used good conditioner so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

On a side note, everyone always commented on how nice my hair was. I decided that it gets in my way most of the time (mechanic) so I'd cut it and donate it to someone else so they could get the same compliments I liked getting. If you aren't partial to keeping your hair maybe you could donate it to Locks of Love. I'm an advocate and I'd like to see more people donate to that charity. Ok, shameless plug over with.

BlueTyke
February 5th, 2009, 02:23 PM
If you aren't partial to keeping your hair maybe you could donate it to Locks of Love. I'm an advocate and I'd like to see more people donate to that charity. Ok, shameless plug over with.

Done that 5 times actually. Thats part of the reason I am going to grow my hair out again :) :thumbup:

TnNinjaGirl
February 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Yay!!! Go Sunny. I've done it twice and I'm on my 3rd grow. It's kind of nice going from shirt to long hair. Keeps things interesting instead of having just one hair style.

I know, I know... back on topic...

HKr1
February 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM
On a side note, everyone always commented on how nice my hair was. I decided that it gets in my way most of the time (mechanic)

Reminds me of the older woman that came into our shop to get her car worked on. Said she came to us cause the other shops/mechanics all had long hair, we all looked clean cut. I didnt have the heart to tell her.....mine was just as long.

Gotta fold that crap up working on cars thou, cant have it dragging thru coolant and all :)

BlueTyke
February 5th, 2009, 06:13 PM
My BF is a mechanic and a rider too. He has a pony tail. He does the thing where he shaves all of his head but the top and that has grown down to his shoulders. He works for Mini Cooper and they are supposed to keep it short.

noche_caliente
February 5th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I usually put it in a loose pony to get the helmet on, then I redo it and kind of do the twist/bun/pony thing - it's a messy pony, but it keeps it fairly contained so that it doesn't get all tangled... a friend recommended Catwalk Fast Fixx conditioner - it is great to spray in and style - not too icky feeling, and does a really nice job of getting rid of kinks - I have curly hair that is uncontrollable without product, but can't stand to touch most products :( This is the perfect solution for me!

Oh, and :welcome:
And thanks to the other ladies for reminding me that I STILL haven't sent off my hair from this past summer! the salon doesn't send off, and I was too sad about it at first :(

http://www.haircareusa.com/images/tigi/tigi_catwalk_fast_fixx.jpg TIGI Catwalk Fast Fixx Conditioner

TIGI Catwalk Fast Fixx Conditioner - A Lightweight, Leave-in Conditioner. Quickly handle unruly hair or change your style! Conditions between shampoos or controls tangles and frizz.

To re-style, hold TIGI Catwalk Fast Fixx Conditioner 4 to 6 inches from hair and mist lightly. Shape hair. To detangle and control frizz, hold 4 to 6 inches from hair and spray along hair shaft. Comb through. Do not rinse. Features of TIGI Catwalk Fast Fixx Conditioner:

* Look - healthy & moisturized
* Feel - smooth, conditioned & tangle-free
* Consistency - lightweight
* Hair types - any hair length or texture
* Fragrance - light & fruity
* Details - conditions, shines & detangles allows for restyling without shampooing

BlueTyke
February 6th, 2009, 06:59 AM
[hijack]

I lucked out one year. It was down to my bottom and I was determined to grow it longer but it kept getting caught in things, like car doors, hangers etc.. Well I was away from home visiting a friend and it was starting to really bother me. I looked around and noticed the ladies we were with all had really nice hair cuts so I asked where they got it. And they told me. I thought "Self. If they have an opening it is destined we get our hair cut" So I called and they did. So we went.

I was thinking I was going to spend like $60 for a cut and style. I told the lady right off the bat that I was donating my hair to locks of love and she said alright and we measured out the length and begain... Longer story short.. I got the hair cut and styled to my liking, a new girly look for me, and was ready to pay when she said "Nope! Locks of Love cut and styles are for free!" I was like Bonus! And they even sent it out for me too! I was so impressed. All the other places I had been to in the past never did that for me.

My friend snuck my camera out of my purse and took the pictures for me... You can see my face in the mirror. This is the shortest I have ever had my hair since I was little.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/S2_Rp/Me%20and%20Mine/Placerville012.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/S2_Rp/Me%20and%20Mine/Placerville013.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/S2_Rp/Me%20and%20Mine/Placerville014.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/S2_Rp/Me%20and%20Mine/Placerville015.jpg

[ end hijack ]

komohana
February 7th, 2009, 07:23 AM
i usually braid my hair into a pony tail...

...okay...WIFE braids it into a pony tail..

my hair is also half way down my back...if its not braided i'll tie it into a knot below my helmet and band it below the knot so it wont come undone...i also use infusium leave in conditioner for them bad hair daze..

:hippie:

TnNinjaGirl
February 7th, 2009, 07:54 AM
You know Locks of Love isn't for just females. Just saying. That's all, just saying... lol

I personally wouldn't put it in my coat because you need to have a full range of motion when trying to avoid traffic. If something got caught or even pinched and scared you, you'd be done for.

If someone has gotten their hair caught in a passing vehicle, I haven't heard about it. It'd have to be pretty long for that to happen. Besides, have you ever had all of your hair flow evenly to one side or another in a big bunch, and then add a helmet to that. In order for it all to get caught it would all have to be in the same place. Worst case scenario I see is that a small portion of it gets caught in a passing vehicle. While painful, I don't see it causing widespread damage like having all of it caught would.

BlueTyke
February 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM
On the note of getting your hair caught...

That would be an awfully close to get your hair caught in the first place. If that is the case you have other things to worry about than your hair. Besides when your moving your hair may be waving around but BEHIND you not to the sides. So that would be an even closer incounter I do not wish to test. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything about someone having gotten their hair caught while riding...

Mammalian04
February 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
My puts hers in a ponytail and then in her jacket with some slack. Ends up coming out though I think.

As a separate concern, what if you go down. Sliding up the highway on your back (hopefully with gear) and loose hair doesn't seem like a good combo.

noche_caliente
February 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
welcome mammalian04! good to have you here Jason :)

BlueTyke
February 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
My puts hers in a ponytail and then in her jacket with some slack. Ends up coming out though I think.

As a separate concern, what if you go down. Sliding up the highway on your back (hopefully with gear) and loose hair doesn't seem like a good combo.

I missed this one earlier. Welcome.

As a follow up to loose hair in a crash. I doubt it matters much at all. Hair is a fragile thing. While sliding on your back your hair is either going to be caught under you in which it will split or 'burn' as your jacket does, or it is going to be tailing above your neck with the momentum of your projection. The helmet is an amazing thing on top of that. The helmet should fit with enough 'snugness' to keep your hair from being chunked from your head. I should add here that when I say helmet I am thinking full face not those skull cap do hickies... (that is another rant).

I haven't heard of anyone complaining about their hair after a crash though... To be honest I don't think I would.