View Full Version : Muffler Glass Pack

xTKx
February 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Was looking at videos of the 250R on youtube :drool: and came across this one.

i9sVn4ovkg8

After watching the vid, I did a little research and went to the website found here. (http://www.newninja.com/index.php?topic=86.0) The mod doesn't look entirely difficult, but neither my neighbor nor myself have the tools to do this.

What do you guys think? Is this worth it? Anyone have personal experience with this mod? It sounds pretty decent and if it has any effect on performance, I think it'd probably be worth it.

HKr1
February 6th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Very simple mod, well worth the penny's I think. We went with 1.5" core :)

xTKx
February 7th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Nice pics man! Is there a DIY section for this mod on the forum?
Posted via Mobile Device

HKr1
February 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Havent seen a DIY around here for it.
Just remove the beauty cap(5 allens), then cut the muffler apart at the weld < you wanna reuse the end cap. The guts will slide out. Theres a smaller baflle down in there, remove it. Install the baffle of your choice, with some packing. Weld her back up :)

xTKx
February 9th, 2009, 08:52 AM
See, the issue is that I'd have to rent some tools to do it. If I get get my hands on a welder, do you think it'd still be worth it? (Even with the money spent on renting equipment if needed)...

HKr1
February 9th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I used a cutting wheel & die grinder to cut the muff up. You could just throw it all back together, find some little shop around your area to well it back up for ya.? < dont think it would cost all that much.

noche_caliente
February 9th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Tony - you could also check at the local high school - I know that our small engine repair class has a welding unit and even if you don't feel comfortable with the kids doing it (though the kids in 4th year are probably getting rather proficient), the teacher should also be able to help out...

xTKx
February 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I used a cutting wheel & die grinder to cut the muff up. You could just throw it all back together, find some little shop around your area to well it back up for ya.? < dont think it would cost all that much.

My neighbor has the grinder for sure (though I'm not 100% sure about the cutting wheel). But this is a very good suggestion, thanks Kerry.

Tony - you could also check at the local high school - I know that our small engine repair class has a welding unit and even if you don't feel comfortable with the kids doing it (though the kids in 4th year are probably getting rather proficient), the teacher should also be able to help out...

LOL! You know, the courses I took for fabrication and welding actually came from my high school. I'm sure my shop teacher would remember me... (hopefully :p) and give me the hook up.

I really appreciate both of your help. Once I get my little ninjette, this will probably be the very first mod that I'll do. I don't have enough money to buy new exhaust, but I definitely think that something needs to be done to create a little bit more noise... Thanks again ya'll!

snowlife
April 4th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Was looking at videos of the 250R on youtube :drool: and came across this one.

i9sVn4ovkg8

After watching the vid, I did a little research and went to the website found here. (http://www.newninja.com/index.php?topic=86.0) The mod doesn't look entirely difficult, but neither my neighbor nor myself have the tools to do this.

What do you guys think? Is this worth it? Anyone have personal experience with this mod? It sounds pretty decent and if it has any effect on performance, I think it'd probably be worth it.

The power difference is 1hp. Stock is 25hp, mod $36 exhaust is 26hp. (It is a little hard to see in the vid)

JaeL
April 4th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I just watched this vid also, and came herre for the reviews. Glad to see ninjette.org is up on thangs. I'm still on the fence on this one ladys n gents. It does sound cool tho.

miks
April 4th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Would the exhaust still work if you were to cut to make it shorter and repack it, then instead of welding it back together can you just find some way to screw the end cap back on? Like using rivets or something..

B2FiNiTY
April 4th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Where to get this packing and what specs to get?

paterick4o8
April 5th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Yeah I remember seeing this mod on another forum. It's a cheap way to definitely up the treble and bass on these bikes.

However I still think the sound and look isn't as nice as the aftermarket exhaust, not to mention that the stock can's pretty heavy. It's weights at least 2x as much as my carbon fiber slip on does. But I not having to spend 10x as much money on an aftermarket with this mod is pretty nice.

HKr1
April 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Would the exhaust still work if you were to cut to make it shorter and repack it, then instead of welding it back together can you just find some way to screw the end cap back on? Like using rivets or something..

Yep, just weld a ring around the end cap. Then you can put it back together like a two stoke muffler. The beauty cap would hide the rivets.
I had thought about doing this, but I never really ever went back into two stoke muffs..... :)

Where to get this packing and what specs to get?

FMF 4-stroke packing, just search for the best price. I got mine from:
http://www.faster-motocross.com/fmf-silencer-packing.html

You can get baffles from:
http://www.lachoppers.com/perf.php

--------
Others didnt mention it. I wrapped the first 2 1/2 inches of the baffle, cause the inlet comes in at an angle. I wanted the flow to go straight thru the baffle, not threw it..... into the can itself.

miks
April 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM
What a 'two stoke muffler'?

And for the welding part, how about if the person attempting this had no welder, using rivets would be okay? What I'm trying to say is hard to explain, so I'll draw it :)

Sorry for the craptacular picture, had to use paint then copy to microsoft word because paint document is toooo big!

kkim
April 5th, 2009, 07:04 PM
damn, Mike... at least you used a sharp crayon when you drew that. :D

what the hell am I giving you a hard time for?? If I tried drawing that, mine wouldn't be half as good. :thumbup:

miks
April 5th, 2009, 07:06 PM
:(

Its very hard to draw stuff on paint with a mouse that is old and crappy!

HKr1
April 5th, 2009, 07:24 PM
What a 'two stoke muffler'?

And for the welding part, how about if the person attempting this had no welder, using rivets would be okay?

Most two stroke mufflers come apart via rivets(see pic)

The 250r internals has some insulation on it. I think if you cut 1 inch down from weld, then carfully cut off that 1 inch piece. It should give a small section to rivet to. Would have to keep insulation on there so it wouldnt be a sloppy fit.
Best just weld it back together, or weld a nicer ring.

Sound Wave
April 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Yep, just weld a ring around the end cap. Then you can put it back together like a two stoke muffler. The beauty cap would hide the rivets.
I had thought about doing this, but I never really ever went back into two stoke muffs..... :)

FMF 4-stroke packing, just search for the best price. I got mine from:
http://www.faster-motocross.com/fmf-silencer-packing.html

You can get baffles from:
http://www.lachoppers.com/perf.php

--------
Others didnt mention it. I wrapped the first 2 1/2 inches of the baffle, cause the inlet comes in at an angle. I wanted the flow to go straight thru the baffle, not threw it..... into the can itself.

this stuff is way too advanced for me.

that flat baffle material on the bottom of the page on the "lachoppers" link kind of looks like the same stuff the guy is selling for the radiator covers.

TrueFaith
April 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Does this require a rejet after you're through chopping your muffler up?

HKr1
April 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
^ thats something you should do anyway.

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Well, with a fairly new Area-P I won't be repacking my muffler anytime soon. If I did, I'd definately go for the German packing sold on Area-P's website. Looks like the best replacement packing available out there by far.