View Full Version : Video conferencing

ninjabrewer
February 7th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Does anybody use any video conferencing software on their computers on a regular basis? I used it frequently while deployed to talk with my family. Other than that I haven't used it.

And if anybody is wondering, yes I am a bit bored, wife is sick, daughter is sick :( and I am wide awake and really thinking about jumping on the bike for a late night spin to the beach. :thumbup:

NB.

komohana
February 7th, 2009, 01:01 AM
ya ain't left yet!?!

:ride:

GreezMunky
February 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM
My husband and I like to use Skype when we can, but the internet over there is so slow the calls don't last very long before they're dropped. So usually we're stuck with Yahoo and the choppy video with no sound.

ninjabrewer
February 7th, 2009, 11:53 AM
When I was in Iraq, the MWR that was beside our hanger only had satellite internet and the phones were internet also. Whenever the weather was bad, ie heavy cloud/dust cover the internet would either go down or get really slow.

Tell your hubbie thanks, :thumbup: I was there jul 06 - sep 07.

NB

Sailariel
February 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Does anybody use any video conferencing software on their computers on a regular basis? I used it frequently while deployed to talk with my family. Other than that I haven't used it.

And if anybody is wondering, yes I am a bit bored, wife is sick, daughter is sick :( and I am wide awake and really thinking about jumping on the bike for a late night spin to the beach. :thumbup:

NB.

NB, I take it that when you were deployed you either were in Afganistan or Iraq. Welcome home, and thank you for your service. I was a medic with the 173Rd Abn Brigade, Vietnam 69-70.

ninjabrewer
February 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I was in Iraq, just to the NW of Tikrit, at what used to be the Iraqi AF academy, Al Sahra Airbase, now know as COB Speicher.

And thank you for your service.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is
someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable
to "The United States of America " , for an amount of "up to and including
my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country
who no longer understand it. --Author Unknown

OldGuy
February 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I was in Iraq, just to the NW of Tikrit, at what used to be the Iraqi AF academy, Al Sahra Airbase, now know as COB Speicher.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is
someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable
to "The United States of America " , for an amount of "up to and including
my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country
who no longer understand it. --Author Unknown

Chris, Alex, and the others who are out there and haven't said anything, which I think is most of us unless asked, thanks for your service in your time.

I love your quote. In my mind that is what sets this country apart from all others. We are like one big family (OK sometimes dysfunctional family) and we may argue between ourselves but let someone do something to a "family member" and there will be hell to pay.

Almost forgot your original question - we use GMail to have video visits with my daughter, son-in-law, and grand daughter in CA.

OldGuy - US Navy, EM1(SS) FBM Submarines 1963-1974