View Full Version : Navy's current problem

ninjabrewer
February 7th, 2009, 06:18 PM
The USS Port Royal is still aground, right outside of the entrance to Pearl Harbor, and just beside the reef runway at Honolulu Int Airport. Last nights high tide failed to move it.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp23/ninjabrewer/DSCN1123.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp23/ninjabrewer/DSCN1126.jpg

Took me a little while to find the area. As can be imagined, access to airport areas is pretty tight. This is on the side of the airport with all the cargo and general aviation businesses.

NB

komohana
February 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM
hey NB

heard about this when i got to work this morning...they were supposed to do some range work here in a day or two...

...guess they'll be abit ... late

:ballchain:

BlueTyke
February 7th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Opps. Who needs an iceburg!

ninjabrewer
February 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
According to MSNBC, they are going to try and take off the fuel and water to lighten it. They be wishing for global warming to raise the ocean levels some to get that puppy off.

komohana
February 7th, 2009, 06:34 PM
heard they were gonna try when the tide peaked, but understood that this came and went at zero-dark-thirty this morning....

apparently the didn't make it...

Sailariel
February 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Running aground is so embarassing. Here we have 13`tides, so if we act real cool people will think we just anchored and are fishing. That captain is in deep ----.

ninjabrewer
February 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Yep, and he hasn't had command for long. Here, I think, the tides are rather small, maybe 2 ft.

nb

komohana
February 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Running aground is so embarassing. Here we have 13`tides, so if we act real cool people will think we just anchored and are fishing. That captain is in deep ----.

i imagine the ebb and flow of a tide like that must be...wicked!

or does it take forever?
:nod:

OldGuy
February 7th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I remember when I was on the boats we had the saying "One a **** wipes out a thousand ata-boys". Me thinks someone may not see another promotion. :smash2:

kkim
February 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
News said things of this nature are "career threatening". That was a nice way of putting it.

KJohnson21
February 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I wonder if the dredging schedule was up to date? That could be another commander that's in deep doo-doo.

HKr1
February 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Blame it on the 3rd class at the helm!

J/K.... Iam sure thats the captains last command, LOL.

Sound Wave
February 8th, 2009, 04:16 PM
chris, do you know if it is still stuck? maybe i will go and take a look later on today. so that is on lagoon drive that you saw it?

Sound Wave
February 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM
ok, it is still there. i followed the road for as far as it would go. it is quite the attraction. there were a quite a bunch of people there with cameras snapping away.

besides the port royal, there were two other ships next to it.

ninjabrewer
February 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I didn't ride out that way Sunday, I wasn't keen on going anywhere near the stadium with the Probowl going on. According to the Advertiser, it is still stuck, they have tried 3X to move it, I think the last measure is too dredge a channel behind it and try another tow. I may ride out that way sometime later today.

nb

HKr1
February 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Sounds like the Intrepid was easier to get moving :p

ninjabrewer
February 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Sounds like the Intrepid was easier to get moving :p

O'Gawd, I hope it doesn't take all that to get her moving.

nb

ninjabrewer
February 9th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I watched the news tonight and the Port Royal is free and back in her berth at Pearl. They offloaded 400 tons of water and dropped the anchors and chains in the water and yanked her out. They also said they would go back and get the anchor/chains out.

nb

BlueTyke
February 10th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Sweet! Yay for the Royal! Freedom! Freeeeedom!

I should hope they would go back and get the anchor and chains although that would be an interesting reef.. :D

400 tons of water! Thats a lot of water!

ninjabrewer
February 10th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Sweet! Yay for the Royal! Freedom! Freeeeedom!

I should hope they would go back and get the anchor and chains although that would be an interesting reef.. :D

400 tons of water! Thats a lot of water!

Yeah about the water, according to either the news or the paper, it was salt water. If it was being used as ballast, I would have thought that it would have been one of the first things to go. But (disclaimer) I know extremely little about navy ships and the operation of said ships. ;)

nb

OldGuy
February 10th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah about the water, according to either the news or the paper, it was salt water. If it was being used as ballast, I would have thought that it would have been one of the first things to go. But (disclaimer) I know extremely little about navy ships and the operation of said ships. ;) nb

Chris either it was something other than saltwater or you knew a lot more than some soon to be ex-Captain. I would have thought salt water ballast would have been the first thing to go. Maybe the "skimmer" Navy thinks differently than us submariners that use saltwater all the time to control depth.

ninjabrewer
February 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I got my info from here,

newspaper link (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090210/NEWS08/902100331/1001)

I agree, they also said the CPT has been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.

nb

Sound Wave
February 10th, 2009, 03:22 PM
.... If it was being used as ballast.....

oh ok. that makes sense. i was confused as to how they would remove water from a ship.... never mind 400 tons of it. i didn't realize that they use water as a ballast in ships. i thought it just floated on the water. they didn't teach that sort of stuff in the army.

bob706
February 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Iam sure thats the captains last command, LOL

I'll bet the Nav is out of a job too. Poor surface shmucks. Fubar's splattered all over the news. Submariners do it deeper :thumbup:

OldGuy
February 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
oh ok. that makes sense. i was confused as to how they would remove water from a ship.... never mind 400 tons of it. i didn't realize that they use water as a ballast in ships. i thought it just floated on the water. they didn't teach that sort of stuff in the army.

Most surface ship construction has a series of tank compartments that surround the outside of the ship below the water line. Some hold fuel (#2 or diesel), water, JP for the carriers) as the liquids are used you need to replace them with something to maintain the balance and how the ship rides in the water. No ballast and you ride very high and tend to "wallow" from side to side and pitch up and down. Guaranteed to get the oldest salt chucking his cookies.

Alex can explain importance of "ballast" and lead in the keel for sailing vessels.

Sound Wave
February 10th, 2009, 07:55 PM
thanks og. learn something new every day. :yo:

i guess that is one of the reasons why some of my model ships used to tip over in the bath tub when i was a kid. cool.

kkim
February 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM
i guess that is one of the reasons why some of my model ships used to tip over in the bath tub when i was a kid. cool.
Just hope it wasn't from Cecil the Sea Serpent! :lol:

Sound Wave
February 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Just hope it wasn't from Cecil the Sea Serpent! :lol:

his name isn't cecil. lol

"i'm coming beanie boy!!!" good memories.

Sound Wave
February 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM
yikes! they said that the port royal released 5000 gallons of raw sewage into the ocean... supposedly in an attempt to lose some weight.

that is messed up.

HKr1
February 11th, 2009, 06:03 AM
yikes! they said that the port royal released 5000 gallons of raw sewage into the ocean... supposedly in an attempt to lose some weight.

that is messed up.

They dump it at sea all the time. Usually not with in 50 miles thou, thats the only reason for the CHT tanks :)

komohana
February 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM
his name isn't cecil. lol

"i'm coming beanie boy!!!" good memories.

not da kine checkers and pogo eh?! :party:

talk about some memories!

Sound Wave
February 11th, 2009, 08:03 PM
not da kine checkers and pogo eh?! :party:

talk about some memories!

better watch out or the ":focus:" police will come. :D but yeah, i was on that show when i was a kid. good fun.

kkim
February 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM
alright... alright... back on topic here...

http://static.flickr.com/90/261965298_dd40634897.jpg

http://www.cglen.com/SendIns/PREV/200801/ET34.jpeg

:D

HKr1
April 8th, 2009, 03:16 PM
April 02, 2009

Associated Press

HONOLULU - Hawaii officials said Wednesday they plan to seek money from the U.S. Navy for environmental damage to a coral reef caused by a warship that ran aground in February.

The state said it would file a claim in Admiralty Court for the damage and cost of emergency restoration for the reef, which dates back hundreds of years. Hawaii would also seek money for other coral habitat restoration projects. Officials did not specify a dollar amount, which would be decided by the court.

Laura Thielen, chairwoman of the state Department of Land and Natural Resources, told the Navy of the state's intentions in a letter Tuesday to Vice Adm. Bruce MacDonald, judge advocate general, in Washington.

The 9,600-ton USS Port Royal ran aground Feb. 5 about a half-mile offshore near Honolulu. It sustained between $25 million to $40 million in damages while lodged on top the reef in about 14 to 22 feet of water in an area "clearly marked on all navigational charts," Thielen's letter said.

"There is a critical need for the U.S. Navy to mitigate the damage which has occurred, which continues to occur, and which will get worse with the upcoming south summer swell," Thielen wrote. "We urge the U.S. Navy to commit appropriate resources to rescue disturbed or destroyed coral, remove or stabilize rubble, and protect loose live coral."

In a statement, the U.S. Pacific Fleet said it planned to meet with state officials Thursday about a coordinated plan to fix the damage. The Navy's assessment of the damage was only recently completed, the fleet said, and they have been trying to do a detailed analysis of the data before proposing a plan to fix it.

The ship left a main gash through the reef covering about 1,600 square yards. The full extent of the damage has not been determined, but it is estimated to cover about 5,500 to 8,700 square yards.

Thielen described it as a complex, ancient reef, with coral colonies that took hundred of years to take form and provides shelter and feeding grounds for many different species.

The $1 billion ship is currently in dry-dock at its home port of Pearl Harbor for repairs.

The Navy hasn't said what caused the grounding. An investigation is ongoing, and the Navy relieved the ship's commanding officer, Capt. John Carroll, of his duties in the meantime.

http://www.military.com/news/article/April-2009/hawaii-wants-navy-to-pay-for-reef-damage.html?ESRC=navy.nl

Snake
April 8th, 2009, 04:35 PM
From a former Air Force man, I had all the faith in the world that the Navy would get it out of there.

HKr1
April 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Navy should go sink an old ship there, for an artificial reef. Wonder if Hawaii would be happy with that :p