View Full Version : Took my son riding today ...

Strider
February 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM
We had a gorgeous day here in Gastonia today, so I suited us up and my 9 year old son and myself took off to ride around for awhile. It was only his second time riding with me, and I took it really safe and slow. He was a bit nervous at first ... and he stayed that way. So I took him back home and offered his 7 year old brother a go at ridin' shotgun. He refused flat out. Guess my boys are bikers yet :( They just love to watch me ride!

But, I am just curious, how many riders actually take their kids out riding with them. On occasion, regularly or never?

ninjabrewer
February 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
My daughter, 16, is dying for me to take her for a ride. But I don't feel comfortable enough yet on the bike, plus I don't have any gear for her to wear. And her mother has threatened bodily harm if I take her baby on my bike. Sooooo, it might be a little while before she goes, although somehow I ended up promising her that I would go skydiving with her on her 18th B-day, and how that is safer than riding on a motorcycle (mom didn't say a thing about it 'cept to say "not me" ) .......

NB.

komohana
February 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
But, I am just curious, how many riders actually take their kids out riding with them. On occasion, regularly or never?

i took my daughter riding around the property when she was about 3. just rode around the yard and such. she loved it!..

when she was 9 i took suited her up and took her riding around the costal town we lived in at the time. this was years ago...she's 25 now and lives in kentucky...her 2 younger brothers didn't care to much for the cycle

noche_caliente
February 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
mine for a ride yet, but he's only 3 and really small... I was riding with my dad at 6, and have been riding ever since... is it any wonder I have a bike now?

ScraitT
February 8th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I've given my sister rides around the fields on my dirtbikes since she was 2 and she absolutely loves it. I actually pulled out my dirtbike the the day to try to fire it up and get some fuel flowing through it and she came running outside begging for a ride (she's 13 now).

kkim
February 8th, 2009, 02:08 AM
best way to teach people to ride is on a dirt bike. :thumbup: They will learn quickly how easy it is to crash and ways around it to avoid doing so. Much better than learning crashing on the street.... very unforgiving. :(

Purspeed
February 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM
kkim is right. Dirt is the way to go. Also, it will teach throttle control under sliding conditions. This can prevent a highside on the street where it's a survival reaction to chop the throttle.

ScraitT
February 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Definitely agree. I have locked my rear tire up a couple of times, and due to all my years in the dirt, I was able to keep the bike in control. I actually felt completely in control both times it happened and wasn't bothered or worried about it, which is 100% credited to my years offroad.

Strider
February 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM
best way to teach people to ride is on a dirt bike. :thumbup: They will learn quickly how easy it is to crash and ways around it to avoid doing so. Much better than learning crashing on the street.... very unforgiving. :(

I fully intend to buy Zak (my oldest son) his own dirt bike later this year ... IF he wants one. We're getting a good bit back in tax refund, so we may just get new bikes together, a new 250 for me and a 50 or 80 for him. We'll have to size him up at the dealership :)

kkim
February 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
For dirt bikes, I would recommend buying used. As long as they are in good running condition, you save a lot of money over new.

You're going to be crashing and dropping the bikes anyway (trust me)... they are going to get marked up, so buying new is a really expensive way to go. Just be sure the bikes you are looking at are in good running order and have not been abused. :thumbup:

great activity to spend time outdoors, be involved in a common interest and bond with the kids. :)

take what you save buying used bikes and get some new, really good safety gear. like I said, you will crash. Last thing you want is to bring the kids home injured to mom after a day of riding. :(

Strider
February 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
:hitself: Should have thought of that myself ... thanks for helping me get my thinking cap on straight Kelly!

kkim
February 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM
lol... np. when one gets the "fever", it's difficult to keep one's head on straight. :happy50:

gl... wish you the best getting your son involved in off road riding. It's somethinig you'll both treasure for the rest of your lives. :)

one note... be sure to purchase a bike that fits him.... not too big or not too small. nothing worse than trying to learn on a bike that's too big for you and having a miserable time just trying to keep the bike upright. with dirt bikes, a proper sized bike is crucial to fun and success. :thumbup:

ScraitT
February 9th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Also on that note, I would suggest buying something like the Honda crf230f or yamaha ttr230. Kawasaki and Suzuki don't offer bikes in that category unfortunately. I say that because the bigger bikes (from what I have read) require a LOT more upkeep and care in how and where you ride them.

I own a 230f, and the beautiful thing about it is the bike is virtually maintenance free and indestructible. I've had mine buried in mud up to my chest and rode through waste deep water flooding the bike out. Just drained the airbox and she started up and ran like new. Indestructible.

Regardless of what you may read about it online, it has PLENTY of power. It may not be the powerhouse that the 250 and 450s are, but it's got plenty. If you have never rode anything bigger then your ninja 250, I guarantee the 230F will make you crap your pants (all torque), and it's got enough top end to get into the 60s easily (which is fast in the dirt). If your riding with your son, anything more is overkill.
Also, these bikes are dirt cheap. You can pick up one a few years old for 2000 or less in near perfect condition.

I got to fire mine up a couple days ago, and what a blast. I've gotten so used to the controlled easy throttle of the ninja that I forgot how torquey my 230 is....twisted the throttle a little too much and the front wheel was 3 feet in the air.

Dirtbikes are a blast, especially if you have a good place to ride.

Strider
February 11th, 2009, 06:36 PM
ScraitT , I've ridden 600's or 750's most of my life, I just went to the 250 as a gas saver and commuter, and found out all the fun I had been missing out on :) Since I was bike-less at the time, the 250 was a great deal.
But I think you may have misunderstood my comment on a new 250 for me, I meant a new 250 STREET for me and a dirt bike for Zak (who is 9). I have an old Honda XR200 in storage for my dirt ridin' :)

kkim
February 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I had an 87 xr200. One of the best damn trail bikes ever made, but it needed a front disc brake. :eek:

The crf230 is the spiritual successor to the xr200, but with electric start and that front disc brake. :thumbup: Too bad it weighs more. :(