View Full Version : Hi from Chi-town, with a quick Q

GTsmokeya
February 8th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Hey everybody, and special thanks to kkim for the invite. I am proud to say I added myself to the map, which is pretty cool to see that. My question is this, I have an 04' 250 Ninja with just under 9k in miles on it and I plan to trade it in and pay cash for a 09' in beautiful bright green, my question is this how much in extra charges should I expect for buying new. I have heard some dealerships charge fee's for new bikes for various reasons. Any insight or best to shop around? Thanks.

GTsmokeya

Alex
February 8th, 2009, 12:16 AM
:welcome: GTsmokeya! Glad you found us...

Alex
February 8th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Pricing varies greatly from state to state. MSRP on an '09 is $3999. Here in California, OTD (out-the-door meaning total price you actually write on the check) is approaching $5000+ at many dealers to walk out with an '09. MSRP, + taxes (roughly 9%, so $360,) + setup fee + license fee + documentation fee + whatever else they can get fee. I've heard that in other states OTD can be closer to $4K instead of $5K. Not sure what it's like in your neck of the woods, but only way to find out is to start asking a number of dealers. I'd imagine you'd be able to get between $2K and maybe $2.5K for your machine if it was in pristine condition and found an eager buyer, so you can use those rough numbers to figure out what it might actually cost you to get an '09.

No matter what, I'd recommend you sell your '04 privately; trading it in to a dealer is a guarantee that you'll get the least possible amount for the machine.

kkim
February 8th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Aloha and welcome, Erik.

Alex has given you some good advice. I also recommend you locate other forum members in your area via the membership map and see what the local dealers dictate around where you live.

In Hawaii, it's not uncommon for bikes going for more than 5K OTD. They will try to bundle as much accessories and services that they can. Try to stay away from what is offered so you can to keep the price as low as possible. Good luck... and you've chosen the fastest of all the colors in green. :D

mahalo for joining us
:)

conchwanab
February 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Welcome!!:welcome:

BlueTyke
February 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the boards!!

Viper-Byte
February 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
:welcome: to the forums.

KJohnson21
February 8th, 2009, 01:57 PM
:welcome:

komohana
February 8th, 2009, 01:59 PM
aloha and welcome to the boards

:burnout:

OldGuy
February 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Welcome Erik - keep us posted on your purchase adventure.

noche_caliente
February 8th, 2009, 05:27 PM
welcome!

TnNinjaGirl
February 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Welcome! MSRP on my '09 was $3999. The dealership I bought mine from just charged tax, title and tags. OTD was something like $4500 for the bike. I even got a free tank of gas (it really was free). They also did a check on everything and answered any and all the questions I had. Other dealers in the area are charging MSRP plus a premium and they are easily getting away with around $5-5500 OTD on the bike alone. Ouch!!

GTsmokeya
February 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Thank you for all the warm welcomes, I plan to do more hands on research tomorrow so we will see! Thank you for all the advice.

GTsmokeya

CRXTrek
February 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Here's a link http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=359 Search Dealers near you. It's worth a drive. I got my 08 when the Rush was on in May. NO Markup . Paid 3499 at a Farm Implement Dealership in Quincy, Ill. Then paid my tax and title in Mo.
:thumbup: to the small shops they want repeat customers

xTKx
February 10th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Welcome to the board Erik! I'm pretty much in the same boat, except I don't have my old bike anymore. Once I sell my wife's old car (hopefully within a month or so), I'll have a good amount for a down payment. Hopefully it all works out-and the same with you. Keep us posted!

ManyCavies
February 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM
welcome :D

jpnfrk
February 20th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Welcome!! :high5:

GTsmokeya
February 27th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Quick update,
I was able to sell my bike privatly vs. trade in and did pretty good, considering i bought it last year I only had to sell it for a $100 less than I bought it. Plus thank you for all the warm welcomes I will update again when I finalize my purchase and take delivery.

GTsmokeya

kkim
February 27th, 2009, 11:53 PM
:thumbup:

Visus
February 28th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Welcome.

I was first quoted nearly $6k for an '09 and they wouldn't go below $5,700, so I said no thanks. Another stealership quoted $5,500. Passed on that too.

JScof
February 28th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Welcome Erik and good luck on the purchase!

Snake
February 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Welcome.

ninjablk08
March 25th, 2009, 08:14 PM
welcome

Blue Ninja 250R
March 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Welcome!

zeroth
March 26th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Peoria dealership quoted me $5k OTD on an '09. They had 3 left in stock (as of last week).

Here's a link http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=359 Search Dealers near you. It's worth a drive. I got my 08 when the Rush was on in May. NO Markup . Paid 3499 at a Farm Implement Dealership in Quincy, Ill. Then paid my tax and title in Mo.
:thumbup: to the small shops they want repeat customers

Steve, what dealership did you get it from? Quincy is not too far away from me, I might have to check it out... Thx.

CRXTrek
March 26th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Peoria dealership quoted me $5k OTD on an '09. They had 3 left in stock (as of last week).

Steve, what dealership did you get it from? Quincy is not too far away from me, I might have to check it out... Thx.

Selby Implement Company

Check your PM Mesage