View Full Version : Radiator Fan Question

ajcalamia
February 8th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hi all..New member here. I recently bought a 1992 ninja 250 with 5596 miles on it. However when I got it home I noticed that the fan runs whenever you turn the key on. Even when the bike is cold! All of the wiring appears to be stock and without any modifications. What could be causing this?

kkim
February 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM
bad fan temp sensor, bad fan, maybe low coolant level... host of things that you will be need to troubleshoot.

welcome to the forum... :)

check your PM.

komohana
February 8th, 2009, 01:42 PM
:welcome:

let us know whatcha find...

:yo:

Guinss
February 8th, 2009, 02:20 PM
i thought the fan only ran when the engine was running, same as headlights. (its like this on my 2nd gen, may not be like this on the 1st gen, but its logic? the battery will empty quickly with that kind of amp the fan draws)
my conclusion, must be something wrong with the wiring. :confused:

welcome to the forum! :)

HKr1
February 8th, 2009, 03:14 PM
i thought the fan only ran when the engine was running, same as headlights. (its like this on my 2nd gen, may not be like this on the 1st gen, but its logic? the battery will empty quickly with that kind of amp the fan draws)

Fan comes on via the temp sw on the 2nd Gen. Doesnt have anything to do with ingition sw.

If the 1st Gen is like the 2nd, all it could be is the switch(2).

Guinss
February 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Fan comes on via the temp sw on the 2nd Gen. Doesnt have anything to do with ingition sw.

If the 1st Gen is like the 2nd, all it could be is the switch(2).

My fan wont go if the engine is stopped. When i start it, the fan starts immiedatly. Is that 2nd gen wiring?

Its most likely the switch that needs to be changed. It almost always that when fan wont go, or is always on.

HKr1
February 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM
My fan wont go if the engine is stopped. When i start it, the fan starts immiedatly.

Post a pic of the schematic, I would like to see. I bet the FI ecm controls the cooling fan along with the ingition coils/injectors :)

Guinss
February 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Post a pic of the schematic, I would like to see. I bet the FI ecm controls the cooling fan along with the ingition coils/injectors :)

Could be, i dont have the schematics. :(

Agree with you when you say it can only be a faulty temp switch.

noche_caliente
February 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM
can't help with the fan question - but welcome!

HKr1
February 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Could be, i dont have the schematics. :(

Agree with you when you say it can only be a faulty temp switch.

Yeah, if its wired the same... thats all it could be:thumbup:

You need to order up the service manual(I thought you had one from the shock post, guess that was from bike manual), while your there order up the 250r stickers too. < 250r stickers for the rear cowl(green/red bike x2) then you could send to me here in the USA :)