View Full Version : Why do people buy black motorcycles?

lavid2002
February 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM
My favourite color is green. But if I couldnt buy a green 250 I would def. buy a black bike. The reason im not purchasing a black bike, black leather jacket, and black helmet is because I want to be seen on the road. I hear, and read, that allot of bike accidents are caused because the motorcyclist fails to be noticed. The obvious cure to this...from my P.O.V. (in addition to keeping a headlight on) would be to get a bright bike like green (Wich is the fastest echem:D) and get a bright helmet and jacket. If it could save your life wouldnt you much rather go with your SECOND....heck maybe even your THIRD best color to minimise the chance of that person making that left turn in front of you? This is a HUGE deterrant for me. Im in the market for a bike but im pretty opposed to purchasing a black bike (even though they look nice) for this specific reason.... Opinions fellas?

kkim
February 10th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Wear bright clothing... more importantly, a bright colored helemt, then choose whatever color bike you wish.

lavid2002
February 10th, 2009, 08:55 PM
The bike doesn't make a difference? It has much more surface area than you do...

kkim
February 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
it does, but from what I've read, the helmet being the highest point is seen first by drivers. Having bright colored clothing helps, too, as a bright colored bike and having your headlight on. You do what you can, but if it means giving up on what color you really want, I'd go with what makes you happy and try to maximize visibility in other areas to compensate.

What I don't get are the riders who dress in all black w/ a black bike which makes them virtually invisible at night and doesn't do much for them during the day, either. :confused:

TnNinjaGirl
February 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I'm not sure that a high visibilty color really matters all that much sometimes. Think about it, green matches grass. Black matches the pavement. Blue matches the sky. take your pick. I've been driving past those burnt orange 350 Z's and flaming yellow Lotus Elises before and they are no more or less noticable than a white Honda. It all has to do with the driver paying attention to a moving object. This is just my opinion though. I'm sure there are many facts out there to expell my ideas.

TnNinjaGirl
February 10th, 2009, 09:07 PM
lol, on a side note I wear black on black with a pink and white helmet. I've only had one car pull out in front of me so far. He was a moron because there was a green Explorer directly behind me. Why he did it, I have no idea. I haven't had any problems so far with visibility. I'm sure my day will come but so far it hasn't.

Sailariel
February 10th, 2009, 09:08 PM
You obviously want Green or Red--all HI-VIZ colours. However, Black can be made HI-VIZ by the clothing you wear and the. lights vou choose to employ.A cage would have a difficult time ignoring a bike running HID lights. The key is to be seen. A Green or Red bike are irrelevant in the dark Black is not the problem.

ScraitT
February 10th, 2009, 09:09 PM
That was actually part of my reasoning as well. I absolutely love the green and they way it shows the bikes lines off, but even more importantly I love how striking and more visibly it is. Paired with my green helmet, I feel I have given myself the best efforts to be seen on the road.
Aside form that, green IS kawi, how could you go with any other color?

lavid2002
February 10th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Alright...good advice here. Nice with the pink helmet...but a little extreme for me. I want to be noticed not stared at : D
Just kidding.

Anyone here go OUT of there way to put reflective strips on boots, parts of the bike.... etc???

I know when im hunting I wear blaze orange on the butt of the rifle, and on my head. Anyone wear a blaze orange helmet?

Gregular
February 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Anyone here go OUT of there way to put reflective strips on boots, parts of the bike.... etc???

Yup, I'll post pics of it all installed. These are all reflective (some white some black)

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=280

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=279

I also think that we suffer from having single head/tail lights - its much harder to gauge distance and speed, Try it out with a car that has 1 blown headlight. So you could also add additional lights to help

kkim
February 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
No, but until recently I was wearing a Hi Vis yellow one piece suit and a white helmet to increase visibility. This atop a lime green motorcycle really gets people's attention... exactly what I wanted. :)

I now have a gray and black suit, but my helmet is going to be Hi Vis yellow once they come in.

Most good pieces of clothing already have reflective tape on them, but you can purchase more separately and go to town all over the bike.

Alex
February 10th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Being seen is a nice deterrent up to a point, but we could be juggling flaming batons while wearing a double-bright hi-viz aerotich on a bike that is painted glow-in-the-dark orange, and there still will be people who simply don't see us. Especially when we're oncoming traffic, the most dangerous time. Make yourself visible, but that doesn't preclude our need to ride as if we're invisible anyway.

lavid2002
February 10th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Most good pieces of clothing already have reflective tape on them, but you can purchase more separately and go to town all over the bike.

Yeah I think im guna hit it up with ALLOT of reflective tape if and when I buy a bike. The back of the helmet. ALL over the front of the bike. All around my license plate. Ill be chopin that fugly fender off, but ill be purchasing numerous reflective plastic peices to screw to the license plate in lei of the reflector on the fender.

Anyone else take any steps to be seen besides the ones mentioned?
-Reflective tape
-Bright clothing
-Keep a headlight on
-Bright bike
-Stay out of blind spots

OldGuy
February 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I've chosen to go with the helmet and jacket that will make me the most visible on whatever color I'm riding; my current Red one or my new color :rolleyes:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=637&d=1234315752"]http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=637&d=1234315752

or

http://www.newenough.com/image/path/14763/small/hivizyellow.jpg?1205957219

TrueFaith
February 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I don't know why people think the color of the bike has anything to do with being seen on the road. When you are approching a car they can't tell what color your bike is. The small surface area of your front fairing is totally obscured by the headlight and all oncoming bikes appear to be the same color. The only thing a driver sees (if they see you at all) is the headlight and the outline of the bike. By the time the oncoming driver can tell what color your bike is he's too close for it to make any difference whatsoever. While it may make you more noticeable from the side, most accidents are caused by oncoming cars, not cars approching you from the side.
The #1 way to make yourself more visible on a motorcycle is to wear a WHITE helmet. Unfortunately, a lot of helmet manufacturers do not make all-white lids, but it has been proven numerous times that a white helmet is the most noticeable. The #2 way to be more conspicuous is to wear a bright yellow or orange jacket, but this is still not as noticeable as a white helmet. If the surface area of a motorcycle were as large as a car's, color might make a difference, but it has much less and is therefore not a factor the way it is with cars. Try telling what color an approching bike is next time you see one coming and I guarantee that unless it's a huge Harley with a barn-door sized purple windscreen you won't be able to tell the color until it's too late for avoidance.

Guinss
February 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM
When i took my bike-license, my driving-instructor actually said that black was the most visible "color". He said it was because its such an unatural color too find outside. :confused:

TrueFaith
February 11th, 2009, 09:10 AM
when i took my bike-license, my teacher said that black was the most visible "color". Its because its such an unatural color too find outside.

That's totaly absurd and one of the most untrue comments I've ever heard about bike safety. There are plenty of studies disproving that statement and that teacher should know better. Most MSF sites recommend white or at least brightly-colored helmets for visibility. The only time black is conspicuous is when it's paired up with a much lighter color, like black and white stripes or a checkerboard. I learned that from an old sky diving instructor and it's been confirmed numerous times since then.
I wore an all-white Bell Star II for 3 years and the difference was noticeable on a daily basis. Car drivers would see you much sooner and the ones that noticed a little late would decellerate quickly because they would think you were a motorcycle cop from a distance. I got many comments while waiting for lights to change from motorists who either thought I was a cop at first or told me how noticeable the white helmet was. Black helmets may be "cool", but they don't do a danged thing for visibility.

CRXTrek
February 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I ride Black :cool:
But i always ride like i'm "Invisible" that and it helps living in a small town of only 17 thousand.

Guinss
February 11th, 2009, 09:24 AM
That's totaly absurd and one of the most untrue comments I've ever heard about bike safety.
i think he's right actually, and he have learned it somewhere, they are not teaching bs, its definately something to think about, i wouldnt notice a colorful bike any easier than a black one to be honest. :confused:

lavid2002
February 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM
When i took my bike-license, my driving-instructor actually said that black was the most visible "color". He said it was because its such an unatural color too find outside.
What color is the road? LOL!
There are plenty of things that are black on the roads. The road itself first and foremost, the next most plentiful black substance would be shadows. Not to mention night time. A green or orange bike would glow under a street light, a black bike would blend in with the shadow it makes...and the darkness behind it.

This driving instructor seems a little sketchy to me.

Guinss
February 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM
What color is the road? LOL!
There are plenty of things that are black on the roads. The road itself first and foremost, the next most plentiful black substance would be shadows. Not to mention night time. A green or orange bike would glow under a street light, a black bike would blend in with the shadow it makes...and the darkness behind it.
This driving instructor seems a little sketchy to me.
roads are not equal to "outside". The point is that black is not a "natural color".
btw, the road isnt black? its mostly grey. a green bike blends with every tree, plant or vegetation along the road :cool:
although, i still think this guy have a point, i see how the color of my own bike could affect this discussion, so im out :)
when it's paired up with a much lighter color, like black and white stripes or a checkerboard. I learned that from an old sky diving instructor and it's been confirmed numerous times since then.
yes thats true, i believe ive read that black and yellow are the best color-combination.

mcteague
February 11th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I don't know why people think the color of the bike has anything to do with being seen on the road. When you are approching a car they can't tell what color your bike is. The small surface area of your front fairing is totally obscured by the headlight and all oncoming bikes appear to be the same color. The only thing a driver sees (if they see you at all) is the headlight and the outline of the bike. By the time the oncoming driver can tell what color your bike is he's too close for it to make any difference whatsoever. While it may make you more noticeable from the side, most accidents are caused by oncoming cars, not cars approching you from the side.
The #1 way to make yourself more visible on a motorcycle is to wear a WHITE helmet. Unfortunately, a lot of helmet manufacturers do not make all-white lids, but it has been proven numerous times that a white helmet is the most noticeable. The #2 way to be more conspicuous is to wear a bright yellow or orange jacket, but this is still not as noticeable as a white helmet. If the surface area of a motorcycle were as large as a car's, color might make a difference, but it has much less and is therefore not a factor the way it is with cars. Try telling what color an approching bike is next time you see one coming and I guarantee that unless it's a huge Harley with a barn-door sized purple windscreen you won't be able to tell the color until it's too late for avoidance.

Absolutely right. You only really notice a bike's color when viewed from the side. So, I wear a solid white helmet (Scorpion EXO-700) and use a headlight modulator. I never assume that makes me safe but why not stack a few cards in my favor?

Tim

lavid2002
February 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM
So how bout contrasting colors on your bike. IE blue and white like suzuki...or green black and white like the 08 NINJA Or like you were saying black and yellow...a good contrast. PErhaps a yellow bike with black clothing. Would this be more effective than a yellow bike with a yellow helmet etc...

Guinss
February 11th, 2009, 01:54 PM
i guess green and black could work well, green is quite similar to yellow.

very often when you see a bike, you really only see a wheel, a rear-/headlight, and a helmet. A helmet with black and yellow/green checkers would be perfect.
the actual color of the bike doesnt matter too much

Sailariel
February 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM
In my many years of riding and driving sports cars, I found that most Harleys head on cannot be mistaken for a one eyed car. Most of them display their main headlight and two driving lights forming a triangle. To that end, I installed a set of halogen driving/fog lamps on my Ninja. I also plan to change my rear directionals to be on all the time and flash when needed. The brake light will be equipped with one of those flashing modules that were so well described in this forum. I notice that most of the bikes in this forum have removed their side reflectors and rear reflector. I cut about four inches off the rear fender and filled the depression in with white reflective tape. I also added a rectangular red bicyle reflector on top of the reflective tape. What made the stock fender so ghastly was the upturn at the bottom with that chintzy reflector stuck on. My fender fits in much better in the overall scheme of things. I also wear a white helmet. Have had white helmets for 50 years. I also wear a white helmet when I ride my bicycle.

devinjc
February 11th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I bought a black bike so it would look cool with my bright yellow jacket and yellow and white helmet.

As others have said, head on you can't really tell what color it is, and by the time the color of the bike matters from the side you've been t-boned.

Ramen
February 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I wear a red/white helmet and a red/silver jacket on my red 2008 250.

Red means stop. :D

Strider
February 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I've chosen to go with the helmet and jacket that will make me the most visible on whatever color I'm riding; my current Red one or my new color :rolleyes:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=637&d=1234315752"]http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=637&d=1234315752

I like that helmet :thumbup:
When I go Green, I'm gonna get me one of those puppies!

Edit: And my youngest son just announced that he wants the same helemt and jacket for when he rides with me :)
So that makes you a role-model OldGuy :thumbup:

OldGuy
February 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Thank you Alan - newenough should be getting some in before too long.

kkim
February 11th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I was told today those helmets will be for sale at newenough in early March. :)

noche_caliente
February 11th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I have a white helmet with some reflective pale purple and pale blue designs on it and I added a halo band - i'm told it's REALLY bright!

Strider
February 11th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I have a white helmet with some reflective pale purple and pale blue designs on it and I added a halo band - i'm told it's REALLY bright!
Got a pic of it? Post it! Let's see it :)

noche_caliente
February 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Got a pic of it? Post it! Let's see it :)

posted over in the closet thread too as I figure it will stick around longer, but here it is again

Helmet[/U]
Scorpion EXO 400 Paradise

http://www.rockheadbikes.com/v/vspfiles/photos/scrpnexo400prdssky-2T.jpg
http://www.rockheadbikes.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=scrpnexo400prdssky&zmam=7891450&zmas=2&zmac=26&zmap=scrpnexo400prdssky

There's the helmet...
Here's a pic of the band
http://www.thehelmetcenter.com/images/D/PUHA-1-01.jpg

Strider
February 11th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I must have missed it in the Closet thread.
Looks great though! That band will really make a difference at night.

My wife likes it too :) Now I know what helmet to buy for her!

lavid2002
February 11th, 2009, 09:53 PM
That halo band is a pretty cool thing. Not too expencive either.

TrueFaith
February 12th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Those HALO thingies are wicked conspicuous. Even in daylight they reflect headlights like a neon sign. There is also a brake light that you can attach to the rear of your helmet if you're really paranoid about being rear-ended.
You can get lots of safety gear you might not even know about on the Ride Safer website. They have good prices on many items, including headlight modulators and Fiamm horns.

http://www.ridesafer.com/

LuckyDog
February 14th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I have a Black bike and to be seen better at night I added red reflective rim tape. I like the way it looks so much .... that I went out and purchased a square foot of reflective red tape to add onto my helmet so I can be seen better up high. I feel much safer now. :)

mcteague
February 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I have a Black bike and to be seen better at night I added red reflective rim tape. I like the way it looks so much .... that I went out and purchased a square foot of reflective red tape to add onto my helmet so I can be seen better up high. I feel much safer now. :)

What are you doing about being seen in daylight? You know, the time you likely do most of your riding.

Tim

Purspeed
February 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I use to really like black, but the lack of visibility (safety) and the fact that there are so many black bikes around makes it less desirable to me.

I prefer red.

jpnfrk
February 14th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I fell in love with my black bike when I saw it. The flames were stock red and I thought visibility-wise the color scheme was a bit dark so I got the bright and reflective magenta which I doubt will blend with the surroundings. I think shiny black bikes look hot!! (not trying to say anything bad about the other colors) :nod:

LuckyDog
February 14th, 2009, 10:39 PM
What are you doing about being seen in daylight? You know, the time you likely do most of your riding.

Tim

Well ..... I actually my job really doesn't allow me to ride much during the day .... But when I do I have a bright red jacket that stands out like a sore thumb on my black bike. :D

Countrygirl
February 14th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Black bikes are gorgeous! Very sleek and alluring.

lavid2002
February 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Black bikes are gorgeous! Very sleek and alluring.
Word...I just dont think there as safe as a kawi green, or a red bike is. So allot of peole are using retro reflective material. Anyone put LED lights on their bike. I know on my road bike I have a blinking LED light on the back of me seat so when im riding the bridges or roads at night im seen.

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Dave,
Have you seen this page?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

Countrygirl
February 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Well, black, blue, green, red, white or multicolored, there are a lot of unobservant people who are not paying attention no matter what you drive. Too many people are distracted by texting on their cell phones, grooving to their music, talking on their cell phone or to their passenger, yelling at kids goofing around in the backseat, trying to change the DVD or CD or eating or trying to wipe up their coffee or food that spilled on them or rummaging through papers for work, high on drugs, drunk driving, writing things down, putting on makeup, etc.

I think the best thing you can do is to always be on the lookout and drive defensively. You can have your entire bike tricked out with lights that says, "look out" and people will crash into you.

Recently there was an accident at an intersection out here, where a mini van was stopped at the red light, and a gravel truck driver who was drunk, came up from behind them and drove right over top of the van, killing all 5 people inside. 2 adults, 3 kids. They were in a minivan and still got run over.

I think it just boils down to driving defensively and even when you're stopped to be looking into your mirrors to observe traffic behind you, looking left and right to make sure someone isn't running the red light, etc. Also making sure you're not in a vehicles blind spot.

Maybe get those snazzy lights that light up under a bike or in the wheels for night. Those look great. No matter what you get for your bike to make it more visible there's still that driver who doesn't pay attention. So IMHO just be more alert yourself. :)

Good luck finding something! :)

TnNinjaGirl
February 15th, 2009, 05:23 PM
/\ word. It seems like all of the stories I hear about people getting killed on a bike start off with "he was going 150 mph." I found the best way to solve that problem was go to 149. lol. But seriously, defensive driving, in my opinion is the way to go. I know people who have hit parked conversion vans from not paying attention. < that was my sister. Funny story actually.

Countrygirl
February 15th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Oh, I know this is not doable for a bunch of riders, but my instructor just told us straight out not to ride at night. He said he's been riding for 25 years, has raced competitively around North America and he said he doesn't drive at night. He just told us to avoid it if at all possible because not only do cars have a hard time seeing you, animals come out at night (deer, moose, etc.) and your visibility is not as good as night because you can't see as far ahead as you can in the day to avoid obstacles.

Countrygirl
February 15th, 2009, 05:45 PM
/\ word. It seems like all of the stories I hear about people getting killed on a bike start off with "he was going 150 mph." I found the best way to solve that problem was go to 149. lol. But seriously, defensive driving, in my opinion is the way to go. I know people who have hit parked conversion vans from not paying attention. < that was my sister. Funny story actually.

LOL... that's funny! Now I'm curious to as to what happened!

noche_caliente
February 15th, 2009, 05:48 PM
animals come out at night (deer, moose, etc.)

:drinkingwater:I'm sorry, but I almost choked on my drink when I read that - the moose thing was really funny to me for some reason! :rotflmao: LOL!

TnNinjaGirl
February 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM
She was in a 1993 Nissan Altima and there was a big Chevy van parked on the wrong side of the street in our neighborhood. It was about 3am and she hit the van. Moved her engine under the passenger compartment. Pushed the van across a 40ft street, up a 10ft embankment into the woods. She scared the neighbors to death. She still hasn't lived it down. She was fine. What I can't believe is that she got that little Altima moving that fast in less than half a mile up a rather steep hill.

Guinss
February 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I think its just about doing the thinking for the cagers. You look at cars and try to figure out what they are going to do next.

Ive done some more reading on this(articles etc), after this discussion got off, and as for the colors on your bike, it doesnt make much difference(if any) i think. Its more about the cagers. They dont look for the bike, and they dont feel threathened by it, so often they dont see them(dont bother to look for it). They sure looks for busses/trailers/cars. 8/10 accidents involving a car and a bike, is the car not seeing the bike because of what i mentioned above. :/ with a bike you have the opportunity to do some quick acc. or braking, so its just about being on the lookout, and you could pretty much keep any speed you like. Driving to defensive makes you sleepy and less observant. So offensive driving could be good, makes you more focused. Its a matter of learning to process the things you see when your driving, and decide whats important and whats not.

I've read somewhere else that in the UK you get 5-10% off your car insurance, if you also have a bike, cus its proven that bikers are more focused/observant in the traffic :)

TrueFaith
February 16th, 2009, 09:05 AM
You're still not going to convince me that bike color has anything significant to do with accident avoidance. All cats are grey at night and all bikes look the same to an approching cage driver. Trick your bike out with tons of lights and you run the risk of being so well seen that you induce target fixation in the oncoming driver.
I've personally owned red, blue and now a black bike and I had way more incidents of not being seen on the RED one than the black Ninja I now have. Whatever color you ride, there will always be cagers who don't or won't see you. Choosing what you assume is a brighter or more noticeable color for your bike is a poor substitute for situational awareness and defensive driving techniques.

lavid2002
February 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Choosing what you assume is a brighter or more noticeable color for your bike is a poor substitute for situational awareness and defensive driving techniques.
Who ever said that the color of the bike would substitute for awareness of the person driving it?

Sailariel
February 16th, 2009, 09:42 PM
That was actually part of my reasoning as well. I absolutely love the green and they way it shows the bikes lines off, but even more importantly I love how striking and more visibly it is. Paired with my green helmet, I feel I have given myself the best efforts to be seen on the road.
Aside form that, green IS kawi, how could you go with any other color?

Tyler, You may find this hard to believe, but all studies by the NHTA, and some insurance companies have foun that White is the safest most visible colour. True, Green may be fashionable and colour coordinated, but white is the way to go.

ScraitT
February 16th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Tyler, You may find this hard to believe, but all studies by the NHTA, and some insurance companies have foun that White is the safest most visible colour. True, Green may be fashionable and colour coordinated, but white is the way to go.

I believe it....however white was not one of the color choices for the 250 ;) Of the colors offered, green seemed to be the most visually catching.

I do agree however that the color choice is NO substitution for riding habits. I just believe that a green bike has a better chance at being seen then a black bike, even if the odds of being seen are only improved by half a percent.

From the front, and definitely back, the bike color has virtually no effect since so little of the color is seen. From the side however, I believe it may help, even if just a little. My biggest concern when on a bike is when I am in heavy traffic and worrying about a car changing lanes into my lane, and in that situation, when most drivers do a real quick glance, a glance that would catch the side of the motorcycle, I think a green (or colored) bike would be more easily noticed then a black bike.

In any case, I dont think I could get a kawi in any other color then green, it's kawis trademark. And on the 250, it just shows the bikes lines off so well....I love it.

miks
February 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I'm thinking about buying some reflective rim tape for the wheels, but I'm 100% certain there will be some left over and I'll probably stick some on my helmet, maybe the LP or anywhere else I can think of! Should increase visibility!

kkim
February 16th, 2009, 10:24 PM
welcome to the board, Mike. :)

bob706
February 16th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I got a black 08 250 cause thats what the guy was selling. I got a black ex-700 cause thats all that would fit my noggin. Black jacket was on sale. Johnny Cash would be proud of me, lol. You could be riding with your bike on fire and some people will still see right though you.

komohana
February 17th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I got a black 08 250 cause thats what the guy was selling. I got a black ex-700 cause thats all that would fit my noggin. Black jacket was on sale. Johnny Cash would be proud of me, lol.

...so would undercover brother!

SOLID! :wave:

miks
February 17th, 2009, 05:26 AM
welcome to the board, Mike. :)

I think I'm in love with you, or maybe your bike.

Not entirely sure. :confused:

Cali619
February 17th, 2009, 08:04 AM
this is how I roll.....

http://www.all4humor.com/images/files/Gay%20Clown.jpg

Makes people stop in their tracks and stare so you can zip by fast and easy....

TrueFaith
February 17th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Who ever said that the color of the bike would substitute for awareness of the person driving it?

Just generalizing. I see way too many of these "what's the safest color for a bike" threads. People should be more concerned about what they wear while on the bike than the bike itself if they want to be seen. As another poster noted, some people won't see you if your bike is on fire. The more experience you get riding and the more you develop your riding skills, the more you realize how insignificant bike color is for safety.
The one advantage that black bikes have is that you can wear outrageously bright gear in any color, because black goes with anything. This dramatically increases your choices for gear and allows you to choose any color you think stands out the most for your helmet and jacket. An orange jacket on a kawi green bike might make you a tiny bit more noticeable, but it might also induce nausea every time you catch a glance of yourself in the rear-view mirror.
I have a bright red Puig windscreen on my black Ninja. From a distance it's quite noticeable and when the sun is behind it I'm sure it's even more so, but I don't kid myself that it make any difference whatsoever in being seen by oncoming vehicles.

Sailariel
February 17th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I think that regardless of the colour of the bike--at least in daylight--and to some degree at night, a white helmet makes the most sense. A distracted driver will not see you regardless of what you ride or drive. I drive a big bright red and black Chevy 3/4 Ton Suburban which runs on biodiesel. I have had people cut me off and pull in front of me swearing that they never saw me. That diesel is also not the quietest thing in the world. The Ninja is quieter.

lavid2002
February 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I think that regardless of the colour of the bike--at least in daylight--and to some degree at night, a white helmet makes the most sense. A distracted driver will not see you regardless of what you ride or drive. I drive a big bright red and black Chevy 3/4 Ton Suburban which runs on biodiesel. I have had people cut me off and pull in front of me swearing that they never saw me. That diesel is also not the quietest thing in the world. The Ninja is quieter.
True, Ive already started planning alternate routes to school, so when I drive I cn stay on one-lane roads. Eliminate the "Blind spot" lane changin problem, and a bunch of other things.

: D WHEN WILL NJ COME OUT WITH THE 2009 DMV BRC SCHEDUELS! I want to ride....allot....allot....allot...:p

mcteague
February 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I don't understand the responses that say bright colors won't keep you safe. This is a straw man argument. No one is saying that. Bright colors in and of themselves won't prevent a crash but why not do most of the things you have some control over? Of course you have to ride as if no one can see you. Yes, wear protective gear. Practice sudden stops and avoidance maneuvers. I think a solid white helmet and use of a headlight modulator make a bigger difference than bike color. Certainly, you can take every safety step and someone can still take you out. Ignoring all this because nothing can make you completely safe is daft.

Tim

gagt04
February 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM
you think thats a small town?.... I have about 500 people in my town....lol just sayin

I ride Black :cool:
But i always ride like i'm "Invisible" that and it helps living in a small town of only 17 thousand.

kkim
February 17th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hi, Matt. Welcome to ninjette. :thumbup:

Alex
February 17th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I have about 500 people in my town

That's not a town, that's a small movie theater. :p

gagt04
February 17th, 2009, 01:36 PM
haha i guess thats what i get for living in wisconsin...but i wouldn't have it anyother way. And also is $3200obo for a 08 ninja250 with 3 thousand miles on it a good price?... it also is rejetted with a two brothers slip on, and never been tipped

Alex
February 17th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hi Matt,

Seems like a reasonable price, but this isn't the thread for this discussion. Post up a new one in the New Members area or even this General area to ask about pricing.

:focus:

bob706
February 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM
This thread has become shallow and pedantic. Hmm, yes...shallow and pedantic. Black Ninja FTW!!!

Alex
February 17th, 2009, 03:35 PM
:rotflmao:

noche_caliente
February 17th, 2009, 05:42 PM
welcome matt!

lavid2002
February 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Im with the guy with the dog for an avatar. Ill take every reasonable step I can. I know driving defensively helps 1,000 fold more than bike color will, but why not make it that much more with color, gear, etc? Im down for almost anything.

BlackKarma
February 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM
My favourite color is green. But if I couldnt buy a green 250 I would def. buy a black bike. The reason im not purchasing a black bike, black leather jacket, and black helmet is because I want to be seen on the road. I hear, and read, that allot of bike accidents are caused because the motorcyclist fails to be noticed. The obvious cure to this...from my P.O.V. (in addition to keeping a headlight on) would be to get a bright bike like green (Wich is the fastest echem:D) and get a bright helmet and jacket. If it could save your life wouldnt you much rather go with your SECOND....heck maybe even your THIRD best color to minimise the chance of that person making that left turn in front of you? This is a HUGE deterrant for me. Im in the market for a bike but im pretty opposed to purchasing a black bike (even though they look nice) for this specific reason.... Opinions fellas?

Had a black bike for years...Sometimes it's better Not to be seen...:thumbup:

TrueFaith
February 18th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Of all the things you can do to be seen, bike color is way, way down at the bottom of the list. There are so many other proven ways to make yourself more visible. As Tim said, white helmet and headlight modulator are at the top of the list. Adding reflective tape, reflective rim strips and a brake light modulator makes a big difference too. I say buy the color of bike you want because that's the color you like, not because it might make you more visible. Then add the proven methods to make your bike more conspicuous if you're concerned about being seen on the road. Something as simple as changing your helmet color will make a huge difference compared to the insignificant returns you'll get from buying a brightly colored bike when what you really wanted was a black one...

lavid2002
February 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM
white helmet and headlight modulator are at the top of the list.
Whats a headlight modulator? Is that the device that keeps one light on at all times? Including daytime?

CRXTrek
February 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Whats a headlight modulator? Is that the device that keeps one light on at all times? Including daytime?

No, It flashes. Example here,
http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

lavid2002
February 18th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Jesus christ, just looking at that think almost gave me a seizure. Are you sure thats not illegal? Something flashing like that seems like it would CAUSE an accident. Thats one hell of a way to be noticed.

CRXTrek
February 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Jesus christ, just looking at that think almost gave me a seizure. Are you sure thats not illegal? Something flashing like that seems like it would CAUSE an accident. Thats one hell of a way to be noticed.
They flash in the daylight then go solid at nightime
Click da Link
NewJerseyLaws (http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=nj)

lavid2002
February 18th, 2009, 10:47 PM
ooooh there silid @ night....didnt see that

mcteague
February 19th, 2009, 03:32 AM

When seen in daylight, the only time it operates, the light is not obnoxious. It does draw your attention but does not blind you. They are legal in all 50 states.

Tim

conchwanab
February 19th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Bright colors and ride like your invisible!!never trust green lights!!

TrueFaith
February 19th, 2009, 07:33 AM
No, It flashes. Example here,
http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

Click da Link

It doesn't really flash like that, it "pulses" and is not nearly as extreme as the animation in the ad. The modulating of the headlight is quite subtle and only really noticeable to oncoming drivers. It subconciously draws their sight to the headlight on your bike and makes it nearly impossible for them not to see because of the freaquency and intensity of the pulsing.

Actually, there were a lot of studies done in the 80s on headlight modulators. It was suspected that they could possibly induce a siezure in oncoming drivers prone to them. That's been pretty much disproven, but I think they still come with a warning (just like you get on all video games) saying it's slightly possible, just to cover their asses.

These were really popular in the 80s when I first started riding. For some reason they have fallen out of favor with riders in the past few years and are not advertised nearly as much as they used to be. Really a shame, because I'm sure they have saved a lot of lives over the years. If you're really serious about being as noticed as possible on the road you need to research these.

g21-30
February 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM
http://www.pazzoracing.com/userfiles/file/Vancouver%20MC%20Show%202008%20076.jpg

jpnfrk
February 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Click da Link

That looks a little too much plus it's kinda expensive... any affordable "light-kinda-blinks" alternatives for the headlight?

CRXTrek
February 19th, 2009, 11:03 PM
That looks a little too much plus it's kinda expensive... any affordable "light-kinda-blinks" alternatives for the headlight?

$68.00 at http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp;jsessionid=5QORENBI4PDVXLA0WTVSM4VMDK0NCIV0?store=Main&skuId=212683

ninjabrewer
February 19th, 2009, 11:06 PM
http://www.pazzoracing.com/userfiles/file/Vancouver%20MC%20Show%202008%20076.jpg

Why do people buy black bikes????

This reason is the best one yet!!

nb

jpnfrk
February 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM
$68.00 at http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp;jsessionid=5QORENBI4PDVXLA0WTVSM4VMDK0NCIV0?store=Main&skuId=212683

Thank you, that's wayyyy kinder to my pocket :D

noche_caliente
February 20th, 2009, 07:18 PM
when you see them coming it almost looks like the pulses you see when an oncoming car is going over a bump - you know the slight dim and then brightening from the change in focus...

lavid2002
February 21st, 2009, 12:35 AM
o0o nice analogy. Yeah that will surely get u noticed.

jpnfrk
February 22nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
My MSF instructor was saying the pulsing lights are not legal in all states... *insert suspense music here* :lol:

mcteague
February 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
My MSF instructor was saying the pulsing lights are not legal in all states... *insert suspense music here* :lol:

Your instructor is wrong if he was referring to headlight modulators. Now, it is against the law in many areas to have high/low lights alternate back and forth as that type is reserved for law enforcement.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm

Tim

jpnfrk
February 22nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Dunno... read the regulation on the link and it sounds easier just to avoid the modulators altogether in case it doesn't meet one of the many requirements... that's my :2cents:

Gregular
March 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Once you go black, you never go back ;)

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=823

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=824

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=825

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=826

g21-30
March 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM
:whathesaid::amen:

miks
March 14th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Oh dear, I think I'm blind.

Loving the look of the bike mate. Was wondering if you could take a picture in daytime so I can see how it looks like.

Gregular
March 15th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Oh dear, I think I'm blind.

Loving the look of the bike mate. Was wondering if you could take a picture in daytime so I can see how it looks like.

Yup sure,
Bit of a surprise really, the lightning is visible during the day and you get cool effects at different angles in the sunlight

Most of the work is done now, I still have the exhaust, power commander, shock and oil filter to do but aesthetically, this is it.
Alarms being fitted this week, then I can wrap up the crash protectors, finish the setup/diy of the camera/mirrors and start running her in before some dyno goodness!.
She's just had a wash before I polish her up so she's a a bit damp but here's a few pics , her first time outside since I got her home lol

Side on - had to remover the heat shield for the sato rearset, can't wait to get the yoshi on instead

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=827

Rear without the brakes on - need to move the brake resevoir as it's blocking my led strips but the shock has a bracket mount so it'll have to wait till I install the shock to see how it all works out.
I could have installed my brake LED strips a bit lower too as the middle strips isn't visible at all, but it still all helps

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=828

Console - rear view screen is stuck with the supplied velcro for now till I can work out the best position for it

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=829

Front - need to fine tune the clipons and levers

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=830

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=831

miks
March 15th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Looks great in the daytime too! I like the stickers, especially the little dragon on the front hugger.

Where did you get your rear indicators from? They look the goods.

Just noticed the key chain, very nice.

noche_caliente
March 15th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Looks great Greg!

jpnfrk
March 17th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Greg, your bike looks absolutely gorgeous in the daylight... :wink: