View Full Version : You might have snow, but we've got TORNADOs!

Broom
February 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM
things were rumbling and sirens where blaring, but my street looks safe. we'll see what the rest of the neighborhood looks like in the morning :D

hope everyone else made it through as well.

my son and his mom hiding in my bathtub.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/bk_store/images/photo_object/photos/2/6/2649681/dsc03219-feed.jpg

kkim
February 10th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Holy crap!! :eek:

Be safe, man.

ninjabrewer
February 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hope everything turns out ok, I've been around a few of those things and they don't mess around.

nb

zartan
February 10th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Not that I would want to but, If I had to choose I think it would be an earthquake over that. Just because being originally from Cal we are more used to them. I drove through a cat 0 (yes it is a catagory) here in Wa and it scared the heck out of me. Trees were doing all kinds of wierd things.
I hope you all are fine and your neighbors also. Stay Safe!!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/021109dnmetweather.d94bd5.html

komohana
February 11th, 2009, 04:49 AM
i thought tropical hurricanes were bad....

but tornados!?!?...least we know when we're gonna get whacked...hope all turns out ok..

xTKx
February 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM
things were rumbling and sirens where blaring, but my street looks safe. we'll see what the rest of the neighborhood looks like in the morning :D

hope everyone else made it through as well.

Hope you and your family made it through everything alright last night. Just south of you (here in Jarrell) we had wind gusts up to 50-55 mph and a pretty good down pour of rain. Enough to scare my wife and I a little, but no damage or anything to report.

xTKx
February 11th, 2009, 08:27 AM
i thought tropical hurricanes were bad....

but tornados!?!?...least we know when we're gonna get whacked...hope all turns out ok..

That's definitely what sucks about them. Pretty much the only thing to look for is cloud rotation and the warnings on the news! Other than that, they seem to come out of nowhere.

Broom
February 11th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I grew up in socal too... out in the desert. earthquakes are kinda fun when theres nothing around to fall on top of you :D

xTKx, i remember when Jerrell got ripped apart about 10 years ago by a tornado. my first concert without my parents was the benefit concert in austin to help rebuild the town. it was a good show (first time i saw the toadies).

as for us, theres some downed trees here and there, but i haven't seen anything bad. i didn't watch the news this morning so i'm not sure if any surrounding areas got confirmed tornados or not.

xTKx
February 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I grew up in socal too... out in the desert. earthquakes are kinda fun when theres nothing around to fall on top of you :D

xTKx, i remember when Jerrell got ripped apart about 10 years ago by a tornado. my first concert without my parents was the benefit concert in austin to help rebuild the town. it was a good show (first time i saw the toadies).

as for us, theres some downed trees here and there, but i haven't seen anything bad. i didn't watch the news this morning so i'm not sure if any surrounding areas got confirmed tornados or not.

Yep, sure did back in 1997. Here's one of the vids if anyone's interested.

USAtnYI4HPk

At the time I was living in Georgetown (pretty much where I grew up) which is only about 10 miles south of where the tornado hit. I remember my dad going to help in the clean up and told me some horror stories of stuff that he saw:(

Needless to say, some of my friends and family thought my wife and I were crazy to say we were moving to Jarrell.

Glad you're ok and there was no major damage Broom.

BlueTyke
February 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Wow glad your okay!

I would rather live with CA's earthquakes then all of the other stuff. You might not know when exactally (thought they are getting better with that) but they last 7-10 seconds if that. Nothing like these.. Tornado warnings! All over the tv (at least here in Baltimore) when nothing more than rain comes... o.o I think our weather people are weather happy.

noche_caliente
February 11th, 2009, 07:10 PM
we get them every once in a while, but they're not overly damaging when we do - the same system is coming through our area tonight and I think I saw the watches are up again... mostly the mountains keep anything bad from happening

camaroz1985
February 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Yeah we are getting that same system through here now, but very much diluted. We are only supposed to have winds of 60 mph.

Makes me wonder what would it take to blow over a 250 in a parking lot? :)

Alex
February 12th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Makes me wonder what would it take to blow over a 250 in a parking lot? :)

Less than you'd think. My 570-ish pound BMW RT was blown over in the wind last year when it was on its sidestand. We were all standing around in some reasonable wind gusts, and we heard this crash as the bike was blown over from leaning to its left all the way over to slam down on the right. Sucked. :mad:

I took a short video of the wind about 60 seconds before the bike blew over:

ZT0xJmk9MjU4NDI4ODA4Jms9RnBMZFQmYT00NDAwMDU3X1dGYTJnJnU9YWNpdXJjemFr

Here's a pic of something that's about to make many Ducati owners unhappy:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=500

Happened at the Indianapolis MotoGP this year.

xTKx
February 12th, 2009, 09:30 AM
we get them every once in a while, but they're not overly damaging when we do - the same system is coming through our area tonight and I think I saw the watches are up again... mostly the mountains keep anything bad from happening

Here where we're at in central Texas, we're practically right in the heart of Tornado Alley. I remember a couple of Decembers ago when a bad storm came in that we had tornado warnings and a couple of small touchdowns (yep, in December).

Here's a pic of something that's about to make many Ducati owners unhappy:

Happened at the Indianapolis MotoGP this year.

Wow, that really sucks! :eek:

camaroz1985
February 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM
That does suck. Well I didn't ride today because of the wind so I don't have to worry about it, unless it blows my garage over. Then I will have bigger problems.

Sound Wave
February 12th, 2009, 09:57 AM
we actually had a tornado touch down yesterday here on oahu. it was a category 0, but since they are so rare, the news made a huge deal about it. kind of funny the coverage they gave it.

ninjabrewer
February 12th, 2009, 12:32 PM
we actually had a tornado touch down yesterday here on oahu. it was a category 0, but since they are so rare, the news made a huge deal about it. kind of funny the coverage they gave it.

The picture on the front page of the advertiser took up half the page.

xTKx
February 12th, 2009, 02:05 PM

The picture on the front page of the advertiser took up half the page.

LOL!! Honestly, I'd say a majority of them here are about f-2 or f-3 tornados and every once in a while is when we get the biggins (f-4 and f-5's).

Oh yeah, if you guys have a pic post it up!!

kkim
February 12th, 2009, 02:08 PM
http://cmsimg.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=M1&Date=20090212&Category=NEWS12&ArtNo=902120332&Ref=AR&Profile=1023&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&Q=90&title=0

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090212/NEWS12/902120332/0/NEWS12

http://cmsimg.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=M1&Dato=20090211&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=902110806&Ref=PH&Item=2&MaxW=400&MaxH=578&Q=90

xTKx
February 12th, 2009, 02:21 PM
^^Wow, good pic. Thanks for sharing Kelly :thumbup: ^^ I just read the news article. Even though one person was injured, it's good that it didn't hurt anyone else. Looks like a fairly decent size for not having them around too much. (I was originally thinking like the size of a thin water spout or something :o)

kkim
February 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM
This is one case where bigger is not better. :p

F 0 = :thumbup:

I really feel for those of you that live in areas which experience yearly threats from those truly huge f-4, f-5 monster twisters.

Stay safe. :(

xTKx
February 13th, 2009, 02:54 PM
This is one case where bigger is not better. :p

F 0 = :thumbup:

I really feel for those of you that live in areas which experience yearly threats from those truly huge f-4, f-5 monster twisters.

Stay safe. :(

Thanks man! Yeah, an F-5 is what tore through Jarrell back in 97 when I was a kid. That thing picked up huge farm equipment as if they were toys then mangled them as if they were only made of aluminum. Not to mention it completely leveled houses and took several lives. :( Hopefully I don't experience something that big while living here :eek: