View Full Version : How do I get a bike home from the dealership?

lavid2002
February 11th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Im buying my first bike this spring...and the place thats given me the best deal on a bike is about half an hour away from here in a car. So...how do i get this puppy home?! lol...The bike needs to be kept under 4,000 RPM so highway is off limits. It will be my first time riding a street bike aside from the basic safety course...how do you all feel about this? Should I just take the back roads and go for it? Or what? Thanks!
-Dave

Beast
February 11th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I had my bike delivered by the dealership. The cost was about $80 I think (YMMV). I had the same dilemma because A) BRAND new rider that wasn't ready for the highway and B) the RPM concern. Ask them about delivery options. If not, ask a friend with a truck?

g21-30
February 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM
My dealership delivered it free! :thumbup:

kkim
February 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
yep, I agree... talk to the dealer about delivering it. :)

TnNinjaGirl
February 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Mine delivered to anywhere in the city for free. I had it delivered to a friends house and then rode it home (100 miles) on the highway the day after.

I personally wasn't too worried about break in. I've seen different styles of break in procedures and basically the only thing that seems to matter is changing the oil with quality stuff and doing it often for the first 1000-2000 miles. Also, I'm not too concerned with having to rebuild and engine. In fact I'm looking forward to it.

As for the interstate part... It wasn't bad at all in my opinion. Those 18 wheelers are pretty big but I just tried to stay away from them. I'm still alive, so I guess it worked.

HKr1
February 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Ride that baby home! :)

lavid2002
February 11th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Lol should I print myself out a map of the backroads and spend some quality time going 25-35 MPH home..that will proboably take me about an hour and a half...Thats fair enough right? A big factor in me buying a 250r is the price. I dont wana pay someone to deliver it....also im glad no one mentioned this...because I will NOT get a friend to ride it home for me because im not experienced enough yet! :D
My bike=I get first dibs

Beast
February 11th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I dont wana pay someone to deliver it....

Agreed with back roads. I HAD to have mine delivered because the dealership I purchased it from was at least 40 miles away. Back roads were not an option :)

OldGuy
February 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Talk to the dealership about delivery. If they aren't interested in having you as a return customer then see this thread about break-in. In all reality riding it home on back roads is a good way to start.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10171&highlight=engine+break+in

For me, 200 miles is a little too far to ride my new ride home so tomorrow it's me and the GMC Sonoma for a little road trip. :)

HKr1
February 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM
...Thats fair enough right?

Yup! You wont be going right home anyway.......... :thumbup:

Viper-Byte
February 11th, 2009, 06:28 PM
My dealer delivered it free to my grandparents place as I traded in a quad that was up there, so they droped my Ninja off and picked up the quad free.

I then rode it home (12km) down the highway at about 80kph (100kph limit) as I had never rode a bike on the road I took it easy (licence conditions state I can't go more than 70kph anyway! ), I was not concerned about the revs, I juse rode it how I needed (was softly as I have never rode a 2 wheeler before for more than 5 mins on dirt.) and changed the oil a few times early.

lavid2002
February 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Sweet, Excellent advice. This is probably bad that kkim reccomended me here...now im stoked to get my 250R this spring. AUGHHH! I wana ride so bad!
:bangdesk:

Sailariel
February 11th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Im buying my first bike this spring...and the place thats given me the best deal on a bike is about half an hour away from here in a car. So...how do i get this puppy home?! lol...The bike needs to be kept under 4,000 RPM so highway is off limits. It will be my first time riding a street bike aside from the basic safety course...how do you all feel about this? Should I just take the back roads and go for it? Or what? Thanks!
-Dave

I assume you have your MC Endorsement and have passed your safety course. You should have no problem riding the bike home. Have a friend drop you off at the dealership with your helmet and cycling gear and ride away. Your friend can always follow you at a safe distance. Vary your speed and enjoy rhe ride. I would endeavour to stay off the freeway. Surely you can find some secondary roads. Relax. This is supposed to be fun.

lavid2002
February 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I assume you have your MC Endorsement and have passed your safety course. You should have no problem riding the bike home. Have a friend drop you off at the dealership with your helmet and cycling gear and ride away. Your friend can always follow you at a safe distance. Vary your speed and enjoy rhe ride. I would endeavour to stay off the freeway. Surely you can find some secondary roads. Relax. This is supposed to be fun.
Waiting for the 09 schedule for the BRC to come out then its time to go shopping. Doing some planning. :D

TonyKZ1
February 12th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Well, I'd say ride it home, providing everything was correctly assembled and adjusted by the dealer's mechanics. But if you're not comfortable with that, especially with the amount of riding experience you have and the bike being brand new, then ask a friend, relative, etc. who has a pickup/trailer to take you over there and then bring you and the new bike home.
Tony

ARc
February 12th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I'll bet you'll be wanting to ride your baby home as soon as you see it. I know when I got home on my bike, I didn't turn into the residential and kept on riding for another 45 minutes before I went home.