View Full Version : The English Language

Sailariel
February 11th, 2009, 08:37 PM
It does not surprise me that people have trouble learning the English language. It is really very confusing. We park in a driveway and drive on a parkway. And to top it off, freeways are not free. Just a brain fart I had.

TnNinjaGirl
February 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Then there's things like ain't, ya'll, yonder. For the life of me Yankees still haven't figured out "sweet tea". For goodness sakes guys get on board. ;)

kkim
February 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
wut??? :confused:

ninjabrewer
February 11th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Then there's things like ain't, ya'll, yonder. For the life of me Yankees still haven't figured out "sweet tea". For goodness sakes guys get on board. ;)

:rotflmao:

ninjabrewer
February 11th, 2009, 10:32 PM
don't forget the rule "i before e except after c"

except beige and glacier

and Budweiser, (no wait, that doesn't count, its not English)

nb

ninjabrewer
February 11th, 2009, 10:33 PM
What about the braille instructions on drive up ATM's?

zartan
February 11th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I love the south and all but you guys and your sweet tea.... nasty nasty nasty....
KKim, make a batch of Ice tea and pour 5 lbs of sugar in it.
They really get a lot done after drinking that stuff. I drink my tea with no sugar.
hey , you'in's gotta get together with us'ins
so we'in's can get a ride in :) Look I used all three:)

ninjabrewer
February 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM
This is for the non Southerners in the group.

As for me, yeah I live in Hawaii, but I spent my first 22 yrs in SC

Enjoy

If you run your car into a ditch, don't panic, four men in a four-wheel*drive pickup truck with a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to*help them, just stay out of their way, this is what they live for.
Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store.... Do not buy any food at this store.
Remember, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural, and "all y'all's"*is plural possessive.
Get used to hearing "You ain't from round here, are ya?"
Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later on how to use*it.
Don't be worried at not understanding what people are saying. They can't*understand you either.
The first Southern statement to creep into a transplanted Northerner's*vocabulary is the adjective "big'ol," truck or "big'ol" boy. Most*Northerners begin their Southern-influenced dialect this way. All of them*are in denial about it. The proper pronunciation you learned in school is*no longer proper.
Be advised that "He needed killin" is a valid defense here.
If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this," you should*immediately move aside and stay out of the way. These are likely to be the*last words he'll ever say.
If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the smallest*accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store.*It doesn't matter whether you need anything or not, you just have to go*there.
Do not be surprised to find that 10-year-olds own their own shotguns,*they are proficient marksmen, and their mammas taught them how to aim.
In the South, we have found that the best way to grow a lush green lawn is*to pour gravel on it and call it a driveway.
AND REMEMBER:
If you do settle in the South and bear children, don't think we will accept*them as Southerners. After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, we*wouldn't call 'em biscuits.

lavid2002
February 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM
don't forget the rule "i before e except after c"

except beige and glacier
Glacier has a c in it...:p

I just read about a common language for my composition class. Did you guys know theres 1,100+million people who speak chinese and only about 372 million who speak english as there primary language? Also one in seven americans dont use english as there primary language when at home talking amongst family and such.
Some stuff I found interesting from the article.

TnNinjaGirl
February 12th, 2009, 05:59 AM
NB, I don't think some of the people here understand that where I come from, every single one of those qoutes is true. Very true in fact. Oh... too true...

g21-30
February 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM
NB, I don't think some of the people here understand that where I come from, every single one of those qoutes is true. Very true in fact. Oh... too true...

Corey Beth (2 first names)..of course they are true..sho 'nuff! When I moved to the DC area, 30+ years ago, I had to learn to speak faster. People were actually falling asleep listening to me talk! :D

ninjabrewer
February 12th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Corey Beth (2 first names)..of course they are true..sho 'nuff! When I moved to the DC area, 30+ years ago, I had to learn to speak faster. People were actually falling asleep listening to me talk! :D

When I get wound up, I can talk faster than any yankee, A friend that I used to work with, from NY, was constantly asking if I was sure I was from the South, because all the southerners he knew talked.....real.....slow.

nb

OldGuy
February 12th, 2009, 06:59 PM
If you do settle in the South and bear children, don't think we will accept*them as Southerners. After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, we*wouldn't call 'em biscuits.

I'll have more to say after I'm done laughing. Oh my sides hurt. It must be time for my medication. :martini-drinking:

Sailariel
February 12th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I love Grits. I fix them with cheese and then put butter and Maple Syrup on them. I also like Sweet Tea.

OldGuy
February 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
If you're not from the south this won't make much sense but Alex reminds me of a time when I was in Nuclear Power School in Bainbridge, MD. Every morning they had a big pot of grits at the mess hall. My room mate was from the south - "Landis Hyres". Don't ask why I remember that name after 45 years but i used to drive that southern boy totally nuts every time I ate grits like they were cream of wheat - milk and sugar. :D

Sailariel
February 12th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Don, I`ll have to try that. Honey is also great on Grits. I love the South. When we lived on Ariel III, we particularly enjoyed Virginia and the Carolinas. The people were so nice. The hospitality could not be beat. We particularly liked Elizabeth City, NC, Beaufort, NC, Oriental, and New Bern. Beaufort, SC and Ladies Island bring back great memories. When our responsibilities end in caring for my father-in-law (he has cancer) We may go cruising again. We are doing a complete refit of the boat in the hope we can go cruising again--and spend time in Virginia and the Carolinas.

OldGuy
February 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Sounds like a you will have a well deserved trip.

ninjabrewer
February 12th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I don't think that I have ever ate grits in that fashion. I have always had them with butter and salt.

nb

TnNinjaGirl
February 13th, 2009, 05:54 AM
FTW NB. Grits with butter and salt is the best! Southern Hospitality is a true fact and I don't care what anyone else has to say. I've traveled all around the world and no one is as generous as someone from the South East. Mostly I think it has to do with we are bored and have to know what's going on so we ask our neighbors their life story. People in big cities just seem more concerned with themselves and their paycheck so they have no time to sit and enjoy a glass of sweet tea on the front porch, or even open a door for someone else. While I know thie is a glaring generality, As a whole I believe it to be true. There are great things about every single region of the world. Some of them I personally prefer not to live in.

On a name note, I know two brothers... Their names are Hunter Britt Bailey and Fisher Wade Bailey. I giggle every time I say it out loud.

AAB, I'm sorry to hear your situation. Back when gas was cheap my dad was looking for a ocean going Hateras (sp?) so he could cruise down the Tom Bigby and head over to South America. He wanted to live on a boat but I don't think my stepmom would have liked that. Different story though. Anyways, I hope everything clears up and you get to enjoy our beautiful coastlines soon. Remember lavid2002 is in the Coast Gaurd so be nice to him, you never know when he'll be yanking your hide out of the water.

ninjabrewer
February 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I don't think that I have ever ate grits in that fashion. I have always had them with butter and salt.

nb

and sometimes with red eye gravy......

Sailariel
February 13th, 2009, 04:07 PM
FTW NB. Grits with butter and salt is the best! Southern Hospitality is a true fact and I don't care what anyone else has to say. I've traveled all around the world and no one is as generous as someone from the South East. Mostly I think it has to do with we are bored and have to know what's going on so we ask our neighbors their life story. People in big cities just seem more concerned with themselves and their paycheck so they have no time to sit and enjoy a glass of sweet tea on the front porch, or even open a door for someone else. While I know thie is a glaring generality, As a whole I believe it to be true. There are great things about every single region of the world. Some of them I personally prefer not to live in.

On a name note, I know two brothers... Their names are Hunter Britt Bailey and Fisher Wade Bailey. I giggle every time I say it out loud.

AAB, I'm sorry to hear your situation. Back when gas was cheap my dad was looking for a ocean going Hateras (sp?) so he could cruise down the Tom Bigby and head over to South America. He wanted to live on a boat but I don't think my stepmom would have liked that. Different story though. Anyways, I hope everything clears up and you get to enjoy our beautiful coastlines soon. Remember lavid2002 is in the Coast Gaurd so be nice to him, you never know when he'll be yanking your hide out of the water.

Everything you say about the South is absolutely true. Can`t do salt on Grits because of high BP--but can still enjoy them. The South is more mellow. People are in no great rush and stop to smell the roses. Maine is very much like that as well--except that it really gets cold here. Southerners are very polite and civil--something that has been lost in many places. Originally having been brought up in Europe, the South is probably more "European" than anyplace in the US. It is a charm that I hope it never loses.

noche_caliente
February 13th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Now y'all be nice now, you hear? Those of us in the south absolutely love it and know you're fixin' to be coming this way! And Zartan, you don't have the recipe quite right! It's only about 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar in the tea, and boy is it yummy!
And I have to say, the twang my son has developed at daycare is absolutely adorable! Even if it is a bit alarming at times :)

TnNinjaGirl
February 13th, 2009, 10:50 PM
AAB, the funny thing is that Southerners would probably be offended to be compared to Europeans. It's true though. I've traveled through some of the European Union and out in the countryside of Germany, France and Italy the people are nothing but nice. I think some people down here get Yankee and big city people confused. People in Pennsylvania and Maryland seem to be very nice. With that said, people in Baltimore and Philadelphia aren't as nice.

zartan
February 14th, 2009, 01:06 AM
And Zartan, you don't have the recipe quite right! It's only about 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar in the tea, and boy is it yummy!

ha! ok maybe a little .. only 1.5 cups. Not in my inlaws house. TR's dad is a sugarholic. yikes.
it is maddening when he visits and we go out to eat and he opens about 50 packs of sugar for his tea.:p

TnNinjaGirl
February 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Today for Valentines my family has a tradition of gathering at my Nana's for chocolate fondue. Chocolate fountain, fruits and candies covered in chocolate. I can tell you now there will be sweet tea on top of that. That's what I'm talkin about. ;)

Sailariel
February 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM
C.B. Enjoy Valentine`s Day. It is sunny and clear here. We will probably go down to the harbour and sit on the boat a while --maybe even start the diesel. (Have you ever heard of the trick starting a cold diesel by sticking a hair dryer into the air intake?" Works great. I agree with you about cities--which is why we left the big city 16 years ago. Belfast is only 3600 people

g21-30
February 14th, 2009, 09:00 AM
With that said, people in Baltimore and Philadelphia aren't as nice.

Of course, excluding BlueTyke! :)

conchwanab
February 14th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Always enjoyed traveling through the southern states on trips to Florida.People in the south have always been very friendly and willing to lend a hand if needed.I still do'nt fully understand McDonalds selling sweet tea in northeast Ohio it just is'nt the same!!And I always love the fact that a southerner can spot a yankee at a hunred paces.Of course the pale skin or blazin sunburn of someone from the north might stick out in southern Florida at times!!:roll:

TnNinjaGirl
February 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Of course, excluding BlueTyke! :)

There's always one in every group huh?

ninjabrewer
February 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Years ago, my family was on vacation in Charleston SC, visiting one of the old plantations, when a family went crazy over seeing a rooster, never had saw one. Both of my parents grew up on farms and my sister and I were around them as we grew up. All of us got a kick out of people that had never seen a chicken walking around. Here on Oahu, they walk around wild, see them all the time.

kkim
February 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
come over to Kauai... them wild roosters are crowing at 2am in the farkin' morning!! :mad:

did you know those wild chickens are a protected here on Kauai (I'm not sure about Oahu)? :rant:

TnNinjaGirl
February 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I remember wringing chickens. I hated it. But they were tasty.

kkim
February 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I remember wringing chickens. I hated it. But they were tasty.

:lol: sorry, but that's funny. :D

komohana
February 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM
did you know those wild chickens are a protected here on Kauai (I'm not sure about Oahu)? :rant:

...what is bad...is when tourist ask if da chicken is like...the state bird...

:wtfsign:

TnNinjaGirl
February 14th, 2009, 07:36 PM
We passed a roadkill law a while back. Any animals hit on the road can be claimed and... well you can do whatever you want with them I reckon. Alot of people will claim deer if they hit them. Possums are pretty rampant too. 250Biker commented on how many skunks we have, though I personally haven't heard of anyone claiming a skunk.

conchwanab
February 15th, 2009, 09:45 AM
we claim deer roadkill in Ohio as long as you do'nt need a shovel for pickup!!!Cheaper than deer tags and hunting license