View Full Version : Does anyone wear "armor" or "plates" When riding?

lavid2002
February 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM
When riding on the roads...do any of you wear these clothes with the "armor" stitched into them at the joints. Like at the knee and elbow? If so how do you like em? What kind do you have. Anyone have a story where these have saved your hide? Seems like a plate sewn into the fabric would be ultimately more effective than leather.
Thanks
;)

ninjabrewer
February 11th, 2009, 11:19 PM
When riding on the roads...do any of you wear these clothes with the "armor" stitched into them at the joints. Like at the knee and elbow? If so how do you like em? What kind do you have. Anyone have a story where these have saved your hide? Seems like a plate sewn into the fabric would be ultimately more effective than leather.
Thanks
;)

Check this link out

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9694

I have a Joe Rocket jacket with the pads in the elbow and shoulder, back and sides, and so far I am glad I don't know how good they work.:thumbup:

so I can't really say

nb.

aloh
February 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM
My leathers have built in armor.
I would suggest spending the money on leather. It provides excellent abrasion resistance and protection if you ever fall. It might cost a bit...but I like having a bit more confidence if I ever do go down hard.

grandmaster
February 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I have a Frank Thomas jacket with the shoulder, elbow, and back pad. I love it in this cold weather cuz it keeps me warm, and has a zip out liner for when it gets warmer. It doesn't bother me and i like to wear it because it looks good ;) But like the others said, i haven't tested it out in the falling department and hope i don't have to anytime soon, but I am sure the armor doesn't hurt.

BlueTyke
February 12th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I have leathers and textiles that has the pads/armor in them. I haven't crash tested them and I hope I never have to.

xTKx
February 12th, 2009, 08:48 AM
My buddy took a 50mph spill around a corner. He said the only thing that saved him was his gear. He was wearing his boots, jacket, pants, and helmet when it happened. He said after he knew he was going down, he laid on his back and let his gear take car of the rest. His jacket (which had armor plates in the back and elbows) was torn up and his helmet had tons of scratches, but he came out of it shaken up but with hardly a bruise.

PS: What about leathers in hot weather? In the summer time here, it can peak into triple digits (easily). Would leathers pretty much suffocate you? I know that even riding in my mesh gear (I've got a Cortech 3-in-1 touring jacket) I'd be sweating like crazy when I got somewhere. Anyone in hot temps w/ leathers?

Broom
February 12th, 2009, 08:58 AM
yes, armor will save your ass. mainly from breaking bones.

BlueTyke
February 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM
We get a lot of humidity here in Maryland and while riding it cools down a little due to the generated wind I find wearing my leathers is not a problem. It is when we are stopped that I start to overheat. I did not go on one ride without my leathers. This is also the reason I travel with a camelback/water hydration pack while I ride. I usually fill it with ice before I leave so its still cold a little later. Also I wear a bandanna that at any point can be soaked in said water and put back on my head under the helmet.

TrueFaith
February 12th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Both my leather and textile jackets have armor in the back, elbows and shoulders. I learned the hard way that you can't wear a protective jacket and neglect your legs. So now I wear CorTech denim riding pants with leather in the seat and knee padding. If I'm out riding all day I'll remove the knee pads and wear knee and shin guards (Thor Force) over the pants for more protection. Considering how vulnerable your unprotected knees and legs are in a crash it's surprising how many riders still think a jacket, helmet and boots is all the protection they need.

Beast
February 12th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Same here...all armor, all the time :) I also have these:

Bohn Adventure Shorts:
http://indysuperbike.com/img/Bohn/advshorts.jpg

Go tail bone protector!

Broom
February 12th, 2009, 05:29 PM
i've got some shorts like that too, but i only use them for dirtbikes. my leathers have a ton of hip protection. some more in the tail bone would be nice though (i think i've cracked it at least once)

KnoxNinja
February 12th, 2009, 05:42 PM
My Alpinestars jacket has armor in the shoulders, elbows, and a pad in the back. My legs are screwed until I get some good riding pants with pads in them. I also have leather gloves, but I need to get some armored ones. I think a lot of people overlook that part. Gotta save the hands and fingers if you're going to get back on the bike!

OldGuy
February 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Dave - I think you are going to be getting an overwhelming yes to your question. I don't have enough experience you tell you what brand is better than another, and I've not had to use the protection, but both my First Gear MeshTex and TourMaster Transition jackets have elbow, shoulder, and back protection and are very comfortable. Mesh, ballistic polyester, or leather are all better than nothing.

Another thread had some pictures of someone who went down with only blue jeans - can we saw raw meat.

Sailariel
February 12th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Don, I wear a First leather jacket with elbow and back protection. I also wear Icon pants with knee and hip protection, Dingo square toed boots and Joe Rocket gloves. My helmet is a white HJC full face.

Bill05
February 12th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I wear knee guards under my pants, and a back protector under my padded Icon jacket. I really dont wanna get road rash. That stuff looks painful.

HKr1
February 12th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Wife has them, pants & jacket. When I ride with her, I usually just have them in my jacket. If I go out without her, the speeds are a bit more... so I wear all gear.

We both have full leathers for winter, perforated stuff for summer. For me thou, 95deg up Iam not riding........ 45 and lower, probably not riding :)

tlhamon
February 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I wear Joe Rocket gear when I go long distance or high speed or heavy traffic. If I'm just riding to the gym, it's shorts and tennis shoes.

noche_caliente
February 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM
If you see my 'oops' thread, you'll see the outcome of my 'oops' with gear.... I know for a fact that it would have been much worse without the gear - as it was I walked away with a torn meniscus and a torn LCL - would most likely have been a broken leg without it given the force of the impacts...

Thomas - be careful - the short rides are just as dangerous as the long ones...

minizoom
February 13th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I have the A* SG-1 2pc suit. I crashed on my second time I used it. Barely a mark on the suit. $1k of damage on the bike. I was fine though, just a sore left wrist. I have 9months riding experience and 10k+ miles on the bike when this happened two weeks ago. Get gear, its' worth it!

lavid2002
February 13th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I kinda wana buy everything from a shop instead of the internet. I wana see how everything feels on me. The only thing im worried about is the salesman creepin over my shoulder or something. I dont wana get sold junk I want something thats guna save my hide. Just go with a reputable prand like alpine star or joe rocker I guess?

minizoom
February 13th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I kinda wana buy everything from a shop instead of the internet. I wana see how everything feels on me. The only thing im worried about is the salesman creepin over my shoulder or something. I dont wana get sold junk I want something thats guna save my hide. Just go with a reputable prand like alpine star or joe rocker I guess?

Just go to the store to try it on, then go online and look for a deal. Also, some stores will actually match or beat online prices. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Purspeed
February 16th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I replaced my armor with T-Pro.

athimmel
February 20th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I bought a TourMaster Jett jacket with armor. It has a removable lining for summer and seems to be quite good for a reasonable price. I should probably consider getting some protection for the legs, though.

00v_Lucky
February 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I was urged strongly by a neighbor of mine to get a spine guard. So I went out and bought a Dainese one. the only thing that sux about it is, when I wear it, people think there is something wrong with my back or something =/

lavid2002
February 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM
do you wear a jacket over the spine guard?I would just wear it over the spine guard so people couldnt see

toku
February 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
9 times out of 10 when I ride I wear my 1 piece suit it has all the armor and a spot to place a spine protector in. I don't really care if people look at me funny with my gear on. I've wrecked a couple of times with full gear... it still hurt.

sharky nrk
February 22nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
i have mesh jackets and under the clothes on the body lower armor for street summer riding and a 2 piece suit for track/serious riding. the full suit is just too much of a pain in the ass if I am going to the store or ect. If my sole purpose is to get lost on the bike in the twisties - the suit goes on

muffinman
February 22nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
I wear Alpinestars compression shorts with light padding (very minimal and low-key) and Draggin Liners (kevlar "long johns" with CE knee armor attached) underneath my jeans.. again, very low-key and no one even notices I have any of these on.

My leather Dainese jacket has CE shoulder, elbow/forearm, and back armor

My armored stuff takes about 45 seconds to put on and it covers, at least minimally, my entire body (except chest.. working on that)

jpnfrk
February 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
My Joe Rocket jacket has the CE shoulder, back and elbow armor in it.

Don't have riding pant yet so for now I use the ICON Field Leg Armor... saved me a couple of bruises and it's mega easy to take on/off. If you have wide leg jeans you can wear it underneath and no one will notice them...

Kurosaki
February 22nd, 2009, 02:33 PM
won't ride in anything less.

http://www.ajokes.com/images/pictures/storm_trooper_bathroom.jpg

KJohnson21
February 22nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
I've lived in the desert for most of my life. I've always ridden throughout the year, during summer I'd stay hydrated and wear a jacket with good ventilation as well as protection. Then we found another solution a few years ago called a Phase Change Cooling Vest (http://www.ridecool.com/phasechange.htm). These work well, they can be charged fairly quickly and maintain the charge for a couple of hours, long enough to go through a whole tank of gas while driving. They actually stay cold, they do not rely on evaporation. That's a great advantage because evaporation doesn't happen when the humidity is high.

kkim
February 23rd, 2009, 01:09 AM
Does anyone wear "armor" or "plates" When riding?

As you can see by the overwhelming responses, everyone takes safety gear seriously on this forum, as well they should. No riding with flip flops and T shirts as we all realize skin is much softer than asphalt.

Buy the best safety gear you can afford and use it. Don't learn this lesson the hard way. :(

lavid2002
February 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Indeed, I think ill take your advice, ill go to a local dealer and try some stuff on. Im looking for a bright colored jacket with a built in spine protector and kevlar. I doubt theyl have one, but if i can find my size i can order a jacket online

kkim
February 24th, 2009, 12:08 PM
It's good to size stuff up and try on all the different brands and styles, but I would advise waiting until after you purchase a bike before ordering the gear. You never know what might happen and you don't want to be stuck with gear you're not going to use. :(

sharky nrk
February 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
My Joe Rocket jacket has the CE shoulder, back and elbow armor in it.

Don't have riding pant yet so for now I use the ICON Field Leg Armor... saved me a couple of bruises and it's mega easy to take on/off. If you have wide leg jeans you can wear it underneath and no one will notice them...

i have alpinestars knee/shin pads but the knee kinda seems loose. how are these

Jane Honda
February 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I have a million dollar hospital bill from not wearing gear. Thank god I had a full face helmet on. There was actually asphalt ground into the plastic...

Spending the money on gear is way more cost effective to you than hospital time and lost time at work. Let alone spending time away from your family for 7 weeks.

My gear all has some armor in it. I don't even ride to the mailbox without it. But, I ride fully geared up.

Leather rocks! (so does textile too)

jpnfrk
February 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM
kkim's right, get the bike before you get the gear.

muffinman
February 26th, 2009, 04:49 PM
shark - I also rock the ICON field leg armor on occasion... and it fits real nice. unlike the A* knee guard, the upper knee portion has it's own velcro strap so you can get it real snug. for longer rides, i'd recommend longer socks or thermals so it doesn't irritate your skin .. and it can get a little hot

very thick and substantial armor though.. i feel like robocop when i'm rocking it

jpnfrk
February 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I also rock the ICON field leg armor on occasion...
[...]i feel like robocop when i'm rocking it

Hehehehe me too... better to look like Robocop (who was pretty cool anyways) than leaving your bacon on the asphalt!! :lol:

sharky nrk
February 28th, 2009, 10:03 AM
shark - I also rock the ICON field leg armor on occasion... and it fits real nice. unlike the A* knee guard, the upper knee portion has it's own velcro strap so you can get it real snug. for longer rides, i'd recommend longer socks or thermals so it doesn't irritate your skin .. and it can get a little hot

very thick and substantial armor though.. i feel like robocop when i'm rocking it

i may have to look into getting a pair of the icons and retire my astars then -

Cali619
March 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM
I would have to say that armored riding gear is a must have on any ride, whether hitting those twisty canyons and mountains to the store down the street. I have low sided and thanks to the armor, rode home with just a bruised knee.
I don't have the full racing leathers but I say if you can afford them get that stuff. if just commuting casual I always had Jacket, helmet and gloves, when doing spirited rides I had the pre-mentioned gear and some pants that have hip armor and knee armor over my regular pants.

muffinman
March 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM
i may have to look into getting a pair of the icons and retire my astars then -

Check out www.sandhillspowersports.com - bes tprices I've found for the Icon leg armor.. even better prices than NewEnough :thumbup:

Buffalony
March 2nd, 2009, 04:04 AM
If you see my 'oops' thread, you'll see the outcome of my 'oops' with gear.... I know for a fact that it would have been much worse without the gear - as it was I walked away with a torn meniscus and a torn LCL - would most likely have been a broken leg without it given the force of the impacts...

Thomas - be careful - the short rides are just as dangerous as the long ones...

I couldnt agree more. I went for a short ride feb 13th.I didnt put on knee protection cause I figured I'd be right back cause it was cold. Sure enough I layed it down 15-20 mph second turn in a traffic circle.Had my textile jacket on. Landed on my elbow and back. Armor saved me from the light impact. I slid 15 ft or so. Knee and ankle screwed up a little! :(

jpnfrk
March 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
Not good that you went down but on the bright side you were going at relatively slow speeds... very lucky.

Buffalony
March 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah It still really was my fault. Cold Rubber just didnt come to mind. But hey thats why were here. To share these experiences with other riders. I wonder how many lives have been saved because of these gathering grounds? I'm sure a lot of dollars.

NICUNinja
March 7th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I wear Joe Rocket jacket and pants. I bought everything off the internet, NWT for a fraction of the cost in the stores. :)

sometimesido
April 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM
anyone have experience with Leatt Neck Brace?

Aru6suXd-54

http://www.leatt-brace.com/

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/350/11212/ITEM/Leatt-Moto-GPX-Club-Neck-Brace.aspx

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 6th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Damn. I'm the most unprotected guy on this forum. All I wear is a helmet. If Im going to the beach down the street I dont even bother with the helmet. My cousin just got in a serious accident- collapsed lung, surgically removed glass shards from his back, shattered rib cage, etc. but for whatever reason I'm still stupid. Its super hot here, just riding wearing a backpack to work gets my back sweaty. Anyone have any experience with lighter gear that doesn't leave you sweat drenched in warm weather??

sometimesido
April 6th, 2009, 09:18 PM
non cotton tshirt, underwear, part mesh gloves, and mesh jacket.
ATGATT
You should realize this from your cousin's accident...

miks
April 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM
You should really get a Summer Mesh Jacket, its supposed to be like riding with a T-shirt on when moving. Something like this will at least provide protection while keeping you cool, A* Air-flo Mesh jacket (http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/air_flo_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html)

They also make pants to match, and try finding boots that have ventilation.

C'mon mate, your friend just got in a serious accident and you're still squidding, you should learn from his accident and make sure you wear protective gear all the time!

Being sweaty is much better than having to get skin graphs and being in plaster.

Sound Wave
April 6th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Damn. I'm the most unprotected guy on this forum. All I wear is a helmet. If Im going to the beach down the street I dont even bother with the helmet. My cousin just got in a serious accident- collapsed lung, surgically removed glass shards from his back, shattered rib cage, etc. but for whatever reason I'm still stupid. Its super hot here, just riding wearing a backpack to work gets my back sweaty. Anyone have any experience with lighter gear that doesn't leave you sweat drenched in warm weather??
i know guam is more humid than hawaii, but i am wearing this jacket from tourmaster. it comes with elbow and shoulder armor. also, it comes with a back pad. it is mesh and breaths very well... on colder days (60 degrees), sometimes too well. it is lighter weight than my cortech jacket. for the money, it is really good. i think this will keep you protected without overheating.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/550/ITEM/Tour-Master-Draft-Air-Jacket.aspx

py2e
April 7th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Hehehehe me too... better to look like Robocop (who was pretty cool anyways) than leaving your bacon on the asphalt!! :lol:

+1 on the icon leg armor. They have a very good fit. :thumbup:

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 05:48 AM
i know guam is more humid than hawaii, but i am wearing this jacket from tourmaster. it comes with elbow and shoulder armor. also, it comes with a back pad. it is mesh and breaths very well... on colder days (60 degrees), sometimes too well. it is lighter weight than my cortech jacket. for the money, it is really good. i think this will keep you protected without overheating.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/550/ITEM/Tour-Master-Draft-Air-Jacket.aspx

:whathesaid: +1 on TourMaster mesh jackets. I have the TourMaster Intake jacket and without the linings it's like wearing open netting with 100% breathability, but it holds all the armor in place for when you need it. I've worn it in close to 100-degree weather and it's like having air conditioning on your bike. Nothing's going to be comfortable in 100% humidity, but this jacket is as close as you're going to come while still being well protected.

Snake
April 7th, 2009, 06:36 AM
"Armour" plates are built into my riding jackets. I have a Joe Rocket Jacket.

Rynownd
April 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Flex-Series-2-Jacket-p-248_3.html

I've got this jacket with armor plates built in. Haven't tested it in a crash yet. I also haven't tested it in hot weather. I can't wait to, but spring just won't break around here. I've see 70F, but it was brief. With the 'thermal' liner and the mesh jacket, I was plenty comfortable in 70F. If it ever gets up around 80F, which it will, Ill take the thermal out.

Buffalony
April 7th, 2009, 07:26 AM
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Flex-Series-2-Jacket-p-248_3.html

I've got this jacket with armor plates built in. Haven't tested it in a crash yet. I also haven't tested it in hot weather. I can't wait to, but spring just won't break around here. I've see 70F, but it was brief. With the 'thermal' liner and the mesh jacket, I was plenty comfortable in 70F. If it ever gets up around 80F, which it will, Ill take the thermal out.

I have just about the same jacket mine has the spine armor too. Its a serious textile(tested:) and I was pretty comfy in 85 90 degs with out the liner.

Sound Wave
April 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM
+1 on the icon leg armor. They have a very good fit. :thumbup:

i have those too. i feel very protected with them. http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-field-armor-knee-shin-guards

i also have the tourmaster cortech flex pants. really versitile pants. you can wear them as is, or you can remove the outer panels to reveal breathable mesh in the non-high impact areas. very comfortable on hot days.

good thing about all cortech/tourmaster products is that they will zip up to each other. that way, if you bought the jacket i mentioned earlier, if you are sliding feet first, the jacket won't ride up your back... giving you road rash. it will stay connected to the pants.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-master-cortech-flex-pant

Sound Wave
April 7th, 2009, 08:56 AM
oh, found a video about the jacket
fCpOv-JWlQs

http://www.newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/700

Rawr
April 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM
i had a textile jacket with chest, shoulder, back, elbow, and wrist pads...saved my butt when i layed it down on the highway last wednesday...its what let me walk away with no body damage

sometimesido
April 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM
wrist pads?

KJohnson21
April 7th, 2009, 01:08 PM
:bump2:

I've lived in the desert for most of my life. I've always ridden throughout the year, during summer I'd stay hydrated and wear a jacket with good ventilation as well as protection. Then we found another solution a few years ago called a Phase Change Cooling Vest (http://www.ridecool.com/phasechange.htm). These work well, they can be charged fairly quickly and maintain the charge for a couple of hours, long enough to go through a whole tank of gas while driving. They actually stay cold, they do not rely on evaporation. That's a great advantage because evaporation doesn't happen when the humidity is high.

Seeing as the sub-subject of heat came up again, I figured I'd "replay" my post.

:)

sombo
April 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I have a Shift Airborne jacket and on my ride the other day I found out just how light and breathable it is. In 50-60 degree it's TOO breathable. It was so breathable it was like not wearing it all. It has armor in the shoulders, elbows, and back, fits nice, is light, highly breathable, and looks pretty good too if you ask me.

Here's the 2009 model of the jacket I have. (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/17962/ITEM/Shift-Racing-Airborne-Mesh-Jacket.aspx)

Snake
April 7th, 2009, 02:10 PM
won't ride in anything less.

http://www.ajokes.com/images/pictures/storm_trooper_bathroom.jpg

Star Wars is my Favorite movie of all time. All 6 of them.

Rawr
April 7th, 2009, 02:26 PM
wrist pads?

yea the section where the sleeve ended had an under forearm pad as well as a plastic ring around the hole at the end of the sleeve, procted me right up till my gloves began

SpyderGirl
April 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
ATGATT - On the Ninja I wear a Joe Rocket trixie leather jacket with matching pants and full fingered gloves along with a Shoei full face helmet and HD ladies riding boots. The jacket and pants have built in armor all over the place.

sometimesido
April 7th, 2009, 02:29 PM
yea the section where the sleeve ended had an under forearm pad as well as a plastic ring around the hole at the end of the sleeve, procted me right up till my gloves began

like this?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/19/226/1561/ITEM/EVS-WB01-Wrist-Brace.aspx

SpyderGirl
April 7th, 2009, 02:31 PM
:bump2:

Seeing as the sub-subject of heat came up again, I figured I'd "replay" my post.:)

Those are way cool but no way they'd fit little ole me. Too big. Are there other options for us petite ladies without having to have a whole new set of gear just for the summer?

KJohnson21
April 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Are there other options for us petite ladies without having to have a whole new set of gear just for the summer?

Petite or not, it's typical to have different sets of gear for the different seasons, depending on what variations your local weather situation is capable of.

:rain: :smow: :target:

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 03:31 PM
There are tons of women's mesh jackets out there. One example that has all the features of a TourMaster Intake or Draft:

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/womensjack/lrxairpink

Rawr
April 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM
like this?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/19/226/1561/ITEM/EVS-WB01-Wrist-Brace.aspx

yea like that

miks
April 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Those wrist pads look pretty sweet, but wouldn't wearing a gauntlet type glove have the same affect?

sometimesido
April 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I don't think all gauntlets have support like that. just protection from getting banged up. no?

jpnfrk
April 7th, 2009, 08:58 PM
If Im going to the beach down the street I dont even bother with the helmet.

This guy was on a bicycle in a residential neighborhood and got hit by car going 20mph. Jiu Jitsu Player, without a helmet your face could look like this too:

http://www.daymented.com/2006/0613_scott_road_rash.jpg

This is an example of a road rash that could happen to any of us who don't wear ATGATT... (be warned, some of the pics are a bit graphic):
http://www.rockyriverwings.com/Ridinggear.htm

SpyderGirl
April 7th, 2009, 09:07 PM
There are tons of women's mesh jackets out there. One example that has all the features of a TourMaster Intake or Draft:

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/womensjack/lrxairpink

I was hoping not to have to do that, but I did have a First Gear Tex Mesh jacket that I LOVED. I may have to get another one.

inbox526
April 8th, 2009, 02:46 AM
So can you wear those full knee/shin guards with full boots?

TrueFaith
April 8th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Mostly, yes, but there are always exceptions. Some stop just short of the top of the boot and others are designed to tuck into the top of the boot. It pays to research whatever product you're buying and if you look at enough comments and reviews by past buyers it usually becomes clear what works with full-length boots and what doesn't.

Buffalony
April 8th, 2009, 06:56 AM
This is the jacket im wearing now in black.
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Jett-Series-2-Jacket-p-244_3.html

It really is worth the money. I paid only $90 for it. Its not mesh but it has zippered openings all over the place to let air through. Like I said it isn't uncomfortable in heat. I did go down with it on and it held up (actually, with out a scratch!) and it saved my elbows and back from injury. Got caught it a "really bad" down pour with it and stayed "completly" dry. A pocket had water in it but that was probably my fault. Really Great Jacket. IME. Highly recommended.
Why would anyone ride with out Armor is the question!!!!
If its available.....Use it...!

Sound Wave
April 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM
i don't think ALL full-length boots are designed to work with knee/shin guards.

the icon guards run to about 4 finger widths from the top of the foot. the alpinestars smx-5 boots have an adjustable diameter. it can be made snug with shin guards or it can be made snug if you were just wearing shorts (:rolleyes:)

i feel very secure with all my gear on. basically from my feet all the way up to my knees are completely covered in armor.

Buffalony
April 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM
i don't think ALL full-length boots are designed to work with knee/shin guards.

the icon guards run to about 4 finger widths from the top of the foot. the alpinestars smx-5 boots have an adjustable diameter. it can be made snug with shin guards or it can be made snug if you were just wearing shorts (:rolleyes:)

i feel very secure with all my gear on. basically from my feet all the way up to my knees are completely covered in armor.

Your ready for a crash then aren't you gary :D I'm gonna look into those boots..sound good

chinasmurf
April 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Absolutely wear gear. I got into a accident as a passenger and got rasberries. One on my face too, thank god it healed.

Icon helmet and gloves
Powertrip Jacket w/ back & elbow armor
Joe Rocket with hip and knee armor
Vega boots ankle protection

I never seen the tailbone protection ones, I've learned something today;)

Sound Wave
April 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
i went riding with a bunch of long time friends. one guy who i haven't seen in YEARS was giving me crap that i was overprotected and that it looked like i was ready for a football game or something. "man, where are YOU going? we are only riding for about 70 miles!!!"

he was jesting me in good fun, but this coming from a guy wearing chaps, a t-shirt, leather vest, and a german ww2 style helmet.... i didn't take him too seriously anyway.

Beast
April 8th, 2009, 09:23 AM
In regards to neck protection, my Dainese Del Mar jacket has their "Neck 5" system pre-installed.

The end of this video demonstrates how it works.
M18ef0p2WZ0

http://www.arpem.com/equipamiento-motos/protecciones/dainese/protecciones-dainese-neck-5/imagenes-08/protecciones-dainese-neck-5-1875806-wz.jpg

Buffalony
April 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Absolutely wear gear. I got into a accident as a passenger and got rasberries. One on my face too, thank god it healed.

Icon helmet and gloves
Powertrip Jacket w/ back & elbow armor
Joe Rocket with hip and knee armor
Vega boots ankle protection

I never seen the tailbone protection ones, I've learned something today;)

A day with nothing learned is, the only waste of a day.

Beast...that ish is a serious piece of safety equipment. I learned something aswell...Good...now I cant go to sleep...1

sometimesido
April 8th, 2009, 09:27 AM
How do you like the system?
I see no one else mentioning something for neck so far.

Beast
April 8th, 2009, 09:37 AM
How do you like the system?
I see no one else mentioning something for neck so far.

It's great, I don't even notice it in my jacket. The system extends about 1.5 - 2inches above the jacket line. If I tilt my head back, I can feel the support. :thumbup::thumbup: review for me.

sometimesido
April 8th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks.
hm..I see knee draggers has them for sale separately. Going on the list.

Sound Wave
April 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
beast, so that neck stuff is built in... how about that spine protector? no right?

i need to get something for my chest, neck and spine too. those are the areas i am lacking adequate protection.

sometimesido
April 8th, 2009, 10:03 AM
lookie here. There are other versions too.

kneedraggers (http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Dainese_Neck_5--630807.html?loomia_si=t0:a16:g2:r5:c0.138313:b19424126)

BlueTyke
April 8th, 2009, 10:47 AM
In reference to riding in the heat-

After all this talk... No one has mentioned Under Armor (as a name brand) sports gear for warm weather sports activities. A lot of bicyclists and such use them to help keep them cool. Last year at the start of the riding season here I picked up a shirt from Under armer that is made of light fabric and has a mesh back! It helps the air get to my skin to help cool me off. Leme see if I can find the shirt online... No luck... I have worn it on several of my rides though and I do have to say it is wonderful!

sometimesido
April 8th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Oh yea. I use Under Armor tshirt and shorts. I can't ride without them.

Beast
April 8th, 2009, 11:18 AM
i need to get something for my chest, neck and spine too. those are the areas i am lacking adequate protection.

My jacket has a G series back protector in it as well.

This is the combo I'm considering getting. Might be something you'd consider too.

Knox Gilette Air
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/catalog/knoxGilet-Aifront.jpg

Basically their back protector and chest protector in one streamlined system. The chest protector is removable. The back protector that comes with it does not protect your tailbone. Knox carries a "race" contour back protector that extends over your tail bone, but it doesn't come in this kit.

WATCH THE VIDEO REVIEW towards the bottom of the page
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1032

sometimesido
April 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM
anyone seen this article?
Airbag.

http://kakimotodotcom.blogspot.com/2009/03/dainese-d-air-motorcycle-air-bag.html

lavid2002
April 8th, 2009, 03:50 PM
that jacket looks pretty cool. I don't think Ive told anyone on this forum but for my birthday my uncle gave me his old CL-11 HJC helmet. Its white (remember my article about being seen? This is great b/c its very noticable) The helmet is in excellent condition(He has since changedd to a 3/4 shell b/c he thinks the full face is too restricting)...but I had to order a new clear face shield b/c the old one had a scratch or two. I think im going to buy that jacket. Is it restricting? When you turn your head to check for cars to change lanes does it keep you from turning?

lavid2002
April 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM
WOAHHHHH 900$$$$ JACKET!

Very expensive.

sometimesido
April 8th, 2009, 03:59 PM
see my previous post, you can buy the neck thing separately.

KJohnson21
April 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
my uncle gave me his old CL-11 HJC helmet.

How old is the helmet? There should be a sticker inside with the month and year of manufacture.

lavid2002
April 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM
September 1997 :P

CRXTrek
April 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM
September 1997 :P
:eek:Time for a new lid

miks
April 8th, 2009, 09:30 PM
How often should a helmet be replaced? With daily wear, and without drops of course.

kkim
April 8th, 2009, 09:42 PM
How often should a helmet be replaced? With daily wear, and without drops of course.

5 years

jpnfrk
April 9th, 2009, 05:18 AM
In reference to riding in the heat-

After all this talk... No one has mentioned Under Armor (as a name brand) sports gear for warm weather sports activities. A lot of bicyclists and such use them to help keep them cool. Last year at the start of the riding season here I picked up a shirt from Under armer that is made of light fabric and has a mesh back! It helps the air get to my skin to help cool me off. Leme see if I can find the shirt online... No luck... I have worn it on several of my rides though and I do have to say it is wonderful!

I'm with you on this one Sunny. I have a long sleeve with mock turtleneck made for cyclists that is moisture wicking and speeds evaporation to keep you dry. It's a breathable material yet it doesn't let the chilly wind come through... a great alternative to wearing an old cotton t-shirt. The ones made for runners are also great and can be found at very affordable prices. Here's two they have at Target for about $10-14 each:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31xAHM6630L._AA260_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415CuG34G5L._AA260_.jpg

Beast
April 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM
WOAHHHHH 900$$$$ JACKET!

Worth EVERY penny ;) The 3D bubble liner keeps me cool in the summer and warm in colder weather.

sometimesido
April 9th, 2009, 04:03 PM
So, something random.
I was hanging out at a scooter shop my buddy works at in Decatur, GA and they just got some new shipment in for lady's jacket and gloves.

Thought it was cute.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3426973797_a9753bb8a7.jpg

Hi Res to see the sparkle:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3426973797_bf52940374_o.jpg

Purspeed
April 9th, 2009, 04:13 PM
anyone seen this article?
Airbag.

http://kakimotodotcom.blogspot.com/2009/03/dainese-d-air-motorcycle-air-bag.html

I have been following the development of the Dainese D-Air system since its inception (and purchase from another company).

I don't see this system coming to the U.S. or even in production any time soon.

It's unfortunate because it seems extremely promising.

sometimesido
April 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM
poop.
we always get jipped.
cell phone technology for instance, takes 2 damn years to get here from korea. (samsung, LG, etc.)

miks
April 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Look at that helmet and jacket, so many wirly swirly girly things.

SF-Dug
April 9th, 2009, 07:00 PM
If you gonna buy clothing with armor or armor by itself make sure it is CE rated. Anything that is not CE rated is as good as junk IMHO.

lavid2002
April 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miks

5 years

Why? This helmet only had some dust on it. I cleaned it up and honest....The thing looks BRAND new... Ill post pix when the new wind screen gets here. My uncle wor it for a few months then decided it was too constrictive and he bought a 3/4 shell. I planned on buying a new helmet anyways and keeping this one for if and when I ride 2 up. But anyways...whats wrong with it? Does it turn bad after 5 years or what? lol

Edit: Figured I would prove it :P even though the $20.00 clear replacement face sheild I ordered hasnt arrived I figured I would snap some pix double time.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s161/lavid2002/DSCF2318.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s161/lavid2002/DSCF2317.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s161/lavid2002/DSCF2316.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s161/lavid2002/DSCF2315.jpg
P.S. That is munitions crab in the last picture. The pix were taken on my ammunition reloading bench. Hes a crab that I toss on it and he earned the name "munitions" crab. lol

Buffalony
April 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM
http://www.mxdirtrider.com/h-resources/s-about-When-to-replace-your-helmet.htm

be the judge:)

lavid2002
April 10th, 2009, 03:03 PM
A safety motorcycle helmet's useful service life, usually three to five years, is dependent upon the intensity and frequency of its use.

Depending upon its frequency of use. It was made a long time ago but was only used for MONTHS. It looks like its brand new. Even when I consider the 4 circumstances under wich a helmet should be replaced according to the article....

1. The helmet was subject to an impact.

Never

2. The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use, or they display signs of deterioration.

Nope, retention system is in excellent condition. The padding is in great condition too....see the pic?

3. The synthetic foam padding displays signs of heavy use and the helmet feels too loose.

Helmet was never "heavily used" and it doesn't show signs of ANY use. Helmet fits snugly around my whole head.

4. There are cracks or compression in the EPS liner and/or white spidering can be seen on surfaces of the EPS liner.

No cracks and no spidering.

5)Does the helmet meet snell, DOT, and munitions crab standards?

Yes.....lol :P

kkim
April 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM
if you don't want to take advice, why ask for it?:confused:

it's your head, do what you want. I wouldn't use it and depend on that helmet to save my life in a serious crash. your opinion may differ.

this is not a debate... people have shown you recommendations based on past industry standards. if you feel lucky and fell you know more than industry experts, ignore the warnings.

gl

edit- this is from the the webpage of the manufacturer of your helmt, HJC...

Q: How long can a helmet last?

A: HJC Helmets are constructed with the best materials available to offer you a long lasting product. However, due to the fact that helmets are used in a wide variety of conditions, it is impossible to specify an exact product life span. Due to UV damage, adhesive and component aging, and other, HJC recommends changing a helmet every 3 to 5 years.

HELMET USAGE

Helmet Replacement (All Models)

Although your HJC Helmet is constructed with the best materials available to offer a long-lasting product, it will eventually need to be replaced. Immediately replace your helmet if:

• It has suffered an impact. Your helmet is only designed for ONE impact. An impact may fracture the outer shell or compress the impact absorbing liner. You may not be able to detect this damage. Any impact in a crash or a drop from as low as 4 feet is enough to damage your helmet.

• The shell, lining, or retention system is damaged. The helmet shell, the impact absorbing lining, and the retention system must be in good condition to provide you with the most protection.

Even if your helmet has not been damaged, it needs to be replaced every 3 to 5 years depending on how much you use it. Over time, UV rays and adhesive and component aging will damage your helmet. Wearing a damaged helmet may increase your risk of serious injury or death in an accident.

If you are unsure if you need to replace your helmet, contact HJC America before using your helmet again.

lavid2002
April 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM
if you don't want to take advice, why ask for it?

Chill out bro I never said I dont wana take your advice. Im just a little hesitant about scrapping a helmet that seems fine to me. Im asking why.

Edit:this is not a debate... people have shown you recommendations based on past industry standards. if you feel lucky and fell you know more than industry experts, ignore the warnings.
I never said it was a debate. Also...the comment on me knowing more than industry experts is bullshit. I never said I did, I simply provided answers to the questions online telling me why I should replace my helmet. Somone posted a link that gave me information on why I should replace my helmet. This helmet doesnt have a crack it hasnt been in a crash the strap is fine etc... etc... Does the foam deteriorate over time or what? I never said it was a debate....It is however a discussion

Even if your helmet has not been damaged, it needs to be replaced every 3 to 5 years depending on how much you use it. Over time, UV rays and adhesive and component aging will damage your helmet. Wearing a damaged helmet may increase your risk of serious injury or death in an accident.
This thing was stored in the basement so UV rays aren't a problem. Im guessing the reason I should throw this thing out then is because of the adhesive aging?

kkim
April 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Chill out bro I never said I dont wana take your advice. Im just a little hesitant about scrapping a helmet that seems fine to me. Im asking why.

what do you think any of us that spend hundreds on helmets feel when it's time to retire them?

lavid2002
April 10th, 2009, 04:27 PM
what do you think any of us that spend hundreds on helmets feel when it's time to retire them?
I dunno. I never knew you retired helmets. Just like im sure I know allot more about the shooting sports than you do. You know allot more about cycling than I do. Thats why im here askin you guys.

So the ultimate reason why I should throw this thing out is because the glue has aged and become useless?

Alex
April 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I dunno, what I've always heard is that the polysterene liner itself isn't guaranteed to behave the same, i.e. crush at the appropriate rate, of you were to have a crash with an older helmet, as that liner ages and becomes more brittle. That crushing is what decelerates your head in as safe a manner as possible, and in turn helps protect against brain injury. The pics you loaded do show a helmet in damn good condition, and I'm not sure I'd immediately toss it either, if everything continues to feel supple and does not feel or appear damaged in any way from sun or any other long-term exposure. There are no laws on the books about when a helmet is no longer "legal", DOT certification doesn't expire at 60 months, and nobody's going to get in any trouble for using an old helmet. But it's unlikely to me that it will perform exactly as well as a new one would; and it's how much you believe that difference to be, a tiny inconsequential difference or a larger more significant difference. Up to you. :2cents:

lavid2002
April 10th, 2009, 09:28 PM
The pics you loaded do show a helmet in damn good condition, and I'm not sure I'd immediately toss it either, if everything continues to feel supple and does not feel or appear damaged in any way from sun or any other long-term exposure.
Hard to beleive this baby is as old as she is right?

Buffalony
April 11th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Yeah it's a tough one. like I said you be the jugde.
Personally in that situation. I'd probably just get a new one online. maybe I'd use that one until the new one shipped in.

Alex is right about the age of the liner. It is designed to crush at a certain rate. Theres other factors to consider as well. Like wether or not it's storage environment had an any effect on its integrity
or if it was dropped. A dropped helmet doesn't always show signs it was dropped.

Beside chances are a newer helmet will protect your egg better than that helmet would if it were brand new, due to advances in testing/technology/production etc etc etc blah blah. I'd just get a new one.

BUT if your really set on using that one, then I'd recommend contacting HJC to see what they say. Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they'll actually test it if desired??? Who knows what cost this would entail? I don't. maybe nothing but shipping! Contact em. Hope we helped some.

lavid2002
April 12th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Nah not worth it. Ill just swipe a new helmet this spring when I get my bike. Ill use this one for my BRC though. Its on a closed course with no other vehicles. The only crash I will be looking at is me on the ground at less than 20 MPH. Ill trust this sucker with that.

Buffalony
April 12th, 2009, 09:53 PM
:thumbup: Protect ur egg
Let us know what kinda helmet you get. We have alot of experience with those:D so be sure to post any questions you have.

Sound Wave
May 6th, 2009, 12:40 AM
as far as quality goes, which company is better? bohn or dainese? i got some icon field armor shorts, and frankly, they don't feel like they would do much in a crash. they feel like a lightly padded spandex boxer-briefs. looking for a replacement shorts.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Bohn_New_Adventure_Shorts_With_Tailbone_Pad--521-BOHN-8.html

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Dainese_Pro_Short--637946.html

the bohn's seem more substantial, but i am wondering why the dainese costs more. is it a better brand? won't be using these for the track because... we have no track. just protection against a crash. is there anything better in this price range from a different company? thanks for any help.

capt_bugaloo
May 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM
do any of you wear these clothes with the "armor" stitched into them at the joints. ;)
Absolutely, I have for many years. You can find both leather and textile riding gear with insertable or sewn-in armour. Currently I have a riding jacket that is heavy nylon with armour padding in the elbows, shoulders, and spine.

I've usually owned textile gear. With most of these you can pull the plastic foam armour pieces out of their pockets, and then drop your jacket or overpants in a washing machine! Very convenient.

When looking for armour, keep an eye out for 'CE' certification: this type of armour has been certified by a safety agency in Europe and is usually good stuff.

capt_bugaloo
May 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Looking at that HJC, I have to say I'd be a bit torn too - it looks like a brand new helmet!

I've read these claims that the various components tend to fail with age. Hmmm, maybe - but it also sounds like the helmet company is just trying to get you to fork out money for a new lid!

If it was me, and I was on a severe budget, I'd probably hang onto the helmet and use it while I acquired other good gear: jacket, gloves, boots, pants, raingear, etc. Only when I had all the other riding gear would I then scrap the helmet - it looks like it still has a lot of life left in it... IMHO.

Broom
May 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I dunno. I never knew you retired helmets. Just like im sure I know allot more about the shooting sports than you do. You know allot more about cycling than I do. Thats why im here askin you guys.

So the ultimate reason why I should throw this thing out is because the glue has aged and become useless?

i have a closet full of helmets that i could probably still use, but don't because i'm unsure. some just have a few little skid marks, some have solid impacts that resulted in a concussion, and others even got worn long enough to wear out the liner.

either way, it wasn't worth the risk and i retired it. thats why i shop around and i buy the helmet i can find the best deal on that is still of good quality... like the HJC AC-12... its a track/race worthy helmet, but i can find it in various solid colors (and even in kawasaki trim) for about $100.

in my opinion, theres no need to spend 4-600 bucks on a helmet. if you're on the street, and you want a cool helmet you can pick up a cool shoei or something on closeout for 2-300, or you can buy the ugly one thats the exact same model for 1-200. i buy the ugly, high quality helmet cuase i know i'm going to trash it sooner than later.

the bottom line is that your helmet is too old. it's impossible to know how much its deteriorated, but a 10 year old helmet can't be the safest option. i'd recommend you get a new lid as soon as you can gather up 1-200 bucks. AC-12 is my suggestion for the best value.

Buffalony
May 8th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Get a new helmet yet Dave?

CC Cowboy
May 8th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Joe, nice avatar. They just opened a Santora's Buffalo Pizza & Wing joint here. I hear they are big up there. Pretty good grub.

If I get the "armor" protection can I still wear shorts and flip-flops or is that still taboo?

tjkamper
May 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I use these and love them.

tjkamper
May 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM
i have a closet full of helmets that i could probably still use, but don't because i'm unsure. some just have a few little skid marks, some have solid impacts that resulted in a concussion, and others even got worn long enough to wear out the liner.

either way, it wasn't worth the risk and i retired it. thats why i shop around and i buy the helmet i can find the best deal on that is still of good quality... like the HJC AC-12... its a track/race worthy helmet, but i can find it in various solid colors (and even in kawasaki trim) for about $100.

in my opinion, theres no need to spend 4-600 bucks on a helmet. if you're on the street, and you want a cool helmet you can pick up a cool shoei or something on closeout for 2-300, or you can buy the ugly one thats the exact same model for 1-200. i buy the ugly, high quality helmet cuase i know i'm going to trash it sooner than later.

the bottom line is that your helmet is too old. it's impossible to know how much its deteriorated, but a 10 year old helmet can't be the safest option. i'd recommend you get a new lid as soon as you can gather up 1-200 bucks. AC-12 is my suggestion for the best value.

Helmets should be changed every three years at the least. You should also not use a helmet if it has any visible blemishes or damage to the outer plastic shell. Even small chips can compromise the structure and cause the helmet to crack on impact instead of evenly distributing the blow.

Buffalony
May 8th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Joe, nice avatar. They just opened a Santora's Buffalo Pizza & Wing joint here. I hear they are big up there. Pretty good grub.

Santoras is okay. The Buffalo wing supposedly originated from the Anchor Bar. I dont like their wings, though not many other people I talk to care for them much either. La Novas is more well known from the area. I should add that there are alot of other places here that have even better wings than La Novas. I think Bush had La Novas ordered and delivered to airforce one when he was in term. :rolleyes: Butt screw Bush lol.

However, If any of you are ever in Buffalo I recommend you do find a La Novas and try their Pizza. Thats really their specialty. Buffalo Pizza has evolved into something between a chicago deep dish and the NYC thin crust. It just doesnt taste the same when I go outta town. But that just might be the water :D

While I'm on the subject We also have good pasta houses here but theyre becoming few and far in between these days. La Bella's and Santasiero's being two of the older ones.
BTW. You also should try Mighty Taco if your ever in town.

Flip flops and shorts is your game. I might have shot out in shorts really quick but I'd never do the flops :)

CC Cowboy
May 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Santoras is okay. The Buffalo wing supposedly originated from the Anchor Bar. I dont like their wings, though not many other people I talk to care for them much either. La Novas is more well known from the area. I should add that there are alot of other places here that have even better wings than La Novas. I think Bush had La Novas ordered and delivered to airforce one when he was in term. :rolleyes: Butt screw Bush lol.
However, If any of you are ever in Buffalo I recommend you do find a La Novas and try their Pizza. Thats really their specialty. Buffalo Pizza has evolved into something between a chicago deep dish and the NYC thin crust. It just doesnt taste the same when I go outta town. But that just might be the water :D

While I'm on the subject We also have good pasta houses here but theyre becoming few and far in between these days. La Bella's and Santasiero's being two of the older ones.
BTW. You also should try Mighty Taco if your ever in town.

Flip flops and shorts is your game. I might have shot out in shorts really quick but I'd never do the flops :)

As far as the Bush thing, I don't swing that way. As far as the water, I agree. You can't even get good bread down here like you do in the north. It's got to be the water. All I can remember about Buffalo is the great bars, great girls, and great hangovers.

Buffalony
May 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM
U caught that huh. :) I deleted it then put it back when I thought about it.
He got most of us up the arse. imo

randomwalk101
May 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM
anyone use DAINESE "Knee V" Armor ? Is it comfortable?

wyckedflesh
May 8th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks
;)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/wyckedflesh/bonexray.jpg

When the hard armor is no longer part of the equation...

Techno250
May 9th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Yeah It still really was my fault. Cold Rubber just didnt come to mind. But hey thats why were here. To share these experiences with other riders. I wonder how many lives have been saved because of these gathering grounds? I'm sure a lot of dollars.

I have no doubt that what I'm learning on this FREAKIN' AWESOME forum will literally save my hide someday. I want to use the bike for commuting sometimes, so the Tourmaster Flex 2 Jacket and Overpants look perfect!

shark - I also rock the ICON field leg armor on occasion... i feel like robocop when i'm rocking it

Talk about rockin some gear (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2949508997989707181)! (In case some people haven't yet seen it. :D) I think I'm developing a gear fetish!

My cousin just got in a serious accident- collapsed lung, surgically removed glass shards from his back, shattered rib cage, etc. but for whatever reason I'm still stupid.

Take it from experience, a collapsed lung SUX! I had a spontaneous collapse -- not due to injury -- and I was in the hospital for 28 days. The surgery to fix the collapse was hideous. Not to be too graphic, but they could not fix it laproscopically, so they basically filleted me. Awesome scar, though! And all the chest tube scars look like gunshot wounds, great for fake street cred. :D I can make fun of it, but you do not want to go through this.

Was thinking of the HJC IS-16 (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/19151/ITEM/HJC-IS-16-Solid-Helmet.aspx?SiteID=CSE_GBase_038&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=19151), because it looks a lot like my brother's flight crew helmet, and under $200.

Buffalony
May 10th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Was thinking of the HJC IS-16 (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/19151/ITEM/HJC-IS-16-Solid-Helmet.aspx?SiteID=CSE_GBase_038&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=19151), because it looks a lot like my brother's flight crew helmet, and under $200.

I think I just found my next helmet. :thumbup:

lavid2002
May 10th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Get a new helmet yet Dave?
Nah not yet, I finally got my motorcycle license. All I need is 800 bucks more then I can get my bike, then im getting a whole bunch of new gear, textile jacket, helmet, pants, the works : D

Buffalony
May 12th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Nah not yet, I finally got my motorcycle license. All I need is 800 bucks more then I can get my bike, then im getting a whole bunch of new gear, textile jacket, helmet, pants, the works : D

Congrats on the pass :thumbup:
+1 on getting a whole get up. Your life is what matters and all that new gear could end up saving it. Keep us posted bud.

thsadmin
May 12th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I am getting armor and that will go over the leather, armor is below :

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1947&stc=1&d=1242129306

The full body armor ... with jacket underneath, it's more Moto X than road though.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1948&stc=1&d=1242129452

And leg armor ... need pants to go under or over though and to match the body armor.

I think the mix of both leather and armor should be sufficient and cover the Robocop look.

Buffalony
May 13th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Or you could start a Mortal Ninjette tournment.

"ROUND ONE" ... "FIGHT"

"GET OVER HERE" POW

wyckedflesh
May 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Not all armor is meant to withstand direct contact with the road. The Fox set show above for instance, the armor pieces will be fine, however, the material that holds the pieces together is not rated for that kind of use, it was designed to be worn UNDER the leathers. Trust me, I HAVE seen that armor come apart and recently on the street because someone thought it was the only thing they needed to wear.

Just something to think about. (The leg armor is excluded from the above.)

Sound Wave
May 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I am getting armor and that will go over the leather, armor is below :

I think the mix of both leather and armor should be sufficient and cover the Robocop look.

that is a nice jacket! i really like the look. it wouldn't match me though. it really reminds me of the new kamen rider.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/sound_wavez/MEDRAH-KR045img2.jpg

thsadmin
May 14th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Not all armor is meant to withstand direct contact with the road. The Fox set show above for instance, the armor pieces will be fine, however, the material that holds the pieces together is not rated for that kind of use, it was designed to be worn UNDER the leathers.

Yeah that's what I though or knew - really, I am hoping that the actual armor will detach from the jacket and then I could use a leather jacket with armor over the top - I like the Robocop look ... if that fails - then I will just wear the jacket over the top. I just like the look of the armor.

that is a nice jacket! i really like the look.

Thanks !! Hence why I want to show it off ... should match my Lemon Yellow Ninja.

Buffalony
May 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I just snagged a set of the icon leg armor. Pretty cool gear to throw some jeans over.

wyckedflesh
May 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah that's what I though or knew - really, I am hoping that the actual armor will detach from the jacket and then I could use a leather jacket with armor over the top - I like the Robocop look ... if that fails - then I will just wear the jacket over the top. I just like the look of the armor.

Thanks !! Hence why I want to show it off ... should match my Lemon Yellow Ninja.

That jacket is there just for show, if you look close you can see the seperate straps for the set. The kid I saw the other day had it on over a wife beater...and he made one hell of a mess when I caught back up to where he went down at.

Something else to think about, when the ambient air temp is 103F...what kind of burns do you think that pavement is going to leave on bare flesh ;)

thsadmin
May 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
That jacket is there just for show, if you look close you can see the seperate straps for the set.

Yeah you are right, should go nicely over a well fitted leather jacket then, with leather pants to match.

Purspeed
May 16th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Again, you want to stick with T-Pro armor and Helimot makes a great backprotector and chest protector, too.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of companies that make good armor. Many companies either private label out TPro or create TPro clone armor. You want soft armor, not hard armor.

Don't be stupid. Don't cheap out on this.

When it comes to helmets, the reason to upgrade is due to changing technology. Helmet technology almost coincides with Moore's Law, so a two year old helmet is almost ancient in a technological sense.

Sweat, lotion, hairspray, sunblock (should never be worn while riding) all serve to break down the foam that slows impact forces to the brain. So, wash your liner (if you can) frequently and keep the helmet from extreme heat and UV light. This will keep a helmet lasting nice and long (if you are someone who wants to).

Make sure that the helmet fits properly first, is comfortable (especially at high speed). The higher price helmets are generally better (think about the wind deflection when turning your head at 85 mph to check your blindspot...many cheapie helmets will show their price points at one point or another), though I would steer clear from Snell rated helmets.

As posted above, you can get a high end helmet for peanuts if you are not too picky on color.

thsadmin
May 16th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Don't be stupid. Don't cheap out on this.

But some of us are strapped for cash, so a cheaper alternative is the only option or the next option is no protection at all. Sure we can upgrade as we go along ... but like me ... buying the bike, rego and keeping the bike roadworthy is expensive enough and that's especially true when starting out.

Racer x
May 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM
The last time I tested my armor. I had a jacket with hard elbow pads . I landed on my side . Not a big deal really just a low side but I landed flat on my elbow pad. I broke the ribs on my side . You could see the circular pattern in the x ray.

I now ware a Joe Rocket jacket with soft elbow pads.and know about center stands and ground clearance when braking hard for a corner. LOL.

mcteague
May 16th, 2009, 04:33 AM
This is my hot weather getup. I tried black pants but they just soaked up the sunlight. I have non-mesh, waterproof, jacket and pants for cooler temps. When I rode back in my 20s I often wore shorts and a t-shirt, ugh. At least helmet and gloves were always used.

Tim

Joe Rocket Phoenix 5 jacket and Fieldsheer Four Season Mesh pants.

thsadmin
May 16th, 2009, 05:40 AM
The last time I tested my armor. I had a jacket with hard elbow pads . I landed on my side . Not a big deal really just a low side but I landed flat on my elbow pad. I broke the ribs on my side . You could see the circular pattern in the x ray.

Ouch ... nice heads up and good point that you raise ... mmmm. But if you landed on your elbow would the soft or hard break the fall more ? Is there an advantage to the hard armor - in any cases ?

Racer x
May 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Ouch ... nice heads up and good point that you raise ... mmmm. But if you landed on your elbow would the soft or hard break the fall more ? Is there an advantage to the hard armor - in any cases ?
I like hard armor for knee pads A hard spine prote tor is a must. to keep from bening backward. I kinda think my injury was a reek thing.

Purspeed
May 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
But some of us are strapped for cash, so a cheaper alternative is the only option or the next option is no protection at all. Sure we can upgrade as we go along ... but like me ... buying the bike, rego and keeping the bike roadworthy is expensive enough and that's especially true when starting out.

I am only putting the information out there. What readers wish to do with the information is up to them.

I would suggest working a few extra hours or even (I really shouldn't be recommending this) putting it on a credit card. Good protection is that important.

But, don't take my word for it. Just go through all of the sportbike forums and read the crash stories. Let me know what you discover.

To answer a question about soft armor, it slows down impact forces thereby reducing the blow to your bones. With hard armor, it transmits the energy almost directly to your body. Hard armor is excellent for sharp objects and objects that pierce; however, for preventing broken bones, you want soft armor.

Some companies combine the two, but I have not yet found a TPro level soft armor that is combined with kevlar/carbon based hard armor. If anyone finds anything like this, let me know.

Good leather is the best for abrasion (road rash and worse).

Incidentally, you should note that the "softer" helmets (i.e. DOT or non-Snell) tend to protect your brain from G's far better than the harder Snell-rated helmets. Again, soft is the way to go.

Hard armor is interesting from a standpoint on how clever it is. It feels like it should be able to protect you very well when in fact the protection is rather poor.

Again, I do suggest that you question my findings and do the research yourself.

http://www.johnsonleather.com/armor_main.htm

(this backprotector can be customized to fit you exactly and has both hard armor protecting the spine and soft armor...it's incredibly lightweight, very comfortable and high quality)
http://shop.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=140

thsadmin
May 16th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I am only putting the information out there. What readers wish to do with the information is up to them.

Want to talk to my missus for me ? Here's her number "1800 Grumpy Tight Ass" ... OK given she has the flu. I'm not going into my financial details ... but yeah these times are tough and tight ... and I am still paying off CC after other bike expenses.

I completely understand the valid points above and as soon as I can afford the best protection I will be buying it ... and I appreciate your effort and rounding up the links - you have gone out of your way to provide the in depth "For Soft" argument.

Alex
May 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Incidentally, you should note that the "softer" helmets (i.e. DOT or non-Snell) tend to protect your brain from G's far better than the harder Snell-rated helmets. Again, soft is the way to go.

This info was reasonably accurate as of 2 or 3 years ago, but has since become a bit out of date. The older Snell standard (2005 and earlier) did force helmet manufacturers to work with a stiffer shell and cushioning as it was tested at higher G's than the DOT standard, but the new M-2010 Snell standard is much closer to the current DOT regs as well as the European ECE standards. There's no benefit to shying away from a Snell rated helmet nowadays, and it's hard to find a high-end helmet that isn't Snell & DOT rated anyway.

capt_bugaloo
May 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
The gear should come before the bike. Surely if you can come up with a few thousand for even a used bike with insurance, you can afford a few hundred for good riding gear.

Purspeed
May 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM
This info was reasonably accurate as of 2 or 3 years ago, but has since become a bit out of date. The older Snell standard (2005 and earlier) did force helmet manufacturers to work with a stiffer shell and cushioning as it was tested at higher G's than the DOT standard, but the new M-2010 Snell standard is much closer to the current DOT regs as well as the European ECE standards. There's no benefit to shying away from a Snell rated helmet nowadays, and it's hard to find a high-end helmet that isn't Snell & DOT rated anyway.

Thanks, I am aware of this information. But, until I can actually read the data, I prefer to recommend the ECE and DOT.

Alex
May 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM
All of the Snell standards, including the M2010, can be seen in their entirety at this site (http://www.smf.org/). The DOT standard can be seen right here (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/template.MAXIMIZE/menuitem.d7975d55e8abbe089ca8e410dba046a0/?javax.portlet.tpst=4670b93a0b088a006bc1d6b760008a0c_ws_MX&javax.portlet.prp_4670b93a0b088a006bc1d6b760008a0c_viewID=detail_view&itemID=f1fd61db8a390010VgnVCM1000002c567798RCRD&overrideViewName=Article), with the results of some DOT testing right here (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/).

Purspeed
May 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Have they initiated any testing like this:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Alex
May 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM
They all test like that every year, and any helmet that receives the Snell rating needs to go through the external testing for each new model. Motorcyclist magazine hasn't done a followup to that story in the past few years, but they have mentioned that they felt the modifications to the Snell standard were instituted in part because of the magazine's work. I tend to agree with them, as it was quite a big deal in the industry when that was released.

thsadmin
May 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM
The gear should come before the bike.

I disagree ... what if the bike sale falls through ? You are then left with the gear and no bike to ride. I needed a bike to get to work, not gear to ride to work.

Surely if you can come up with a few thousand for even a used bike with insurance, you can afford a few hundred for good riding gear.

That's the thing - I couldn't afford a few thousand for a bike and put my self in some debt to get the bike, sure I scraped up the majority of the cash - but not all of it and insurance ... meh maybe when I am better off ... for now the bike's a necessity.

~~~~~

This isn't aimed at anyone - just a observation - I notice that to some people here it's hard to fathom being broke and struggling with cash, but we shouldn't be judged or condemned for or by our financial situations, some of us don't have a lot of money and weren't born with fat wallets or wealthy families.

capt_bugaloo
May 17th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Plenty of us have been poor; I know I have been, and yet somehow I managed to realize it was important to ride with good gear - or not ride at all.

My first motorcycle was a perfectly decent used 400cc that cost me a measly $600, yet I bought a good helmet, jacket, boots, and gloves to go with it that cost me more than the bike!

If you think riding gear is expensive, just imagine how expensive getting seriously hurt will be in medical costs and lost wages. If you can afford a nice 250, you can afford a used bike with riding gear.

Purspeed
May 17th, 2009, 07:45 PM
If you think riding gear is expensive, just imagine how expensive getting seriously hurt will be in medical costs and lost wages. If you can afford a nice 250, you can afford a used bike with riding gear.

I am of extremely modest means. I do not have a lot of money at all. I wish I did.

If you are creative, then you will find a way to get good gear at a very, very low cost. I only write what I write because I don't want to see people hurt needlessly. Do what you wish and let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

Purspeed
May 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Although the testing wasn't perfect and parameters limited, that article certainly help shed light on the world of helmets.

Thansk Alex.:thumbup:

thsadmin
May 18th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Luckily the Poor folks in Aus' (like me) are covered for injuries and related expenses ... I received the armor today - and yes it is light material wise, some of the armor is solid with soft padding (within the hard armor) and there is also places where soft padding is stand alone. So the leather jacket is my next purchase and leather pants.

To make it clear though, I am using my bike sparingly - until (fingers crossed) my job starts early next month.

But when i say it's cost me a fortune to start riding I mean :

$2500 for bike.
$200 for stamp duty and collection of bike.
$300 For license and lessons.
$300 for Boots, bag/pack, gloves, armor and socks.
$100 for mods.

So yeah ... for a tight wad like me that's a fair bit of cash to lay down.