View Full Version : Light Bulbs

voodoomaster
February 12th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I'm thinkin, I need more light to see the road. So, I pick up these nifty high intensity bulbs to install on the blue beastie. Only to find out that I have to remove all the plastic to get to the headlight bulb sockets, at least the manitnenace manual says I have to take off all the plastic.

Has anybody replaced their front bulbs on a 2008 without taking of all the fairings??

grandmaster
February 12th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Nope, I took mine off. But look through the HID DIY write-up its the same thing.

kkim
February 12th, 2009, 11:47 AM
if you take off the front side fairings, you should be able to reach up and change the bulbs from going in from beneath.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9933

DirtyBoy
February 12th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I have. All you have to do is reach in from underneath and feel around. Turning the wheel in the opposite direction of the bulb you are changing gives you a little extra room. It's kind of a PITA though but easier than removing a fairing.

Guinss
February 13th, 2009, 12:17 AM
its possible to change the bulbs without taking any fairings off.

PSO-08ninja250rblack
February 13th, 2009, 05:21 AM
YES lets be clear about this, cos i had exact same problem. you DONT! have to unmount anything to change bulbs. No fairing pieces needs to come off. i also bought some high intensity light bulbs, but was a bit confused because the manual said nothing about changing bulbs. but anyways, you just have to take your hand, and reach up from underneath the front piece that holds the headlight. first pull off the round rubber grommets that sits over where the bulbs are held. next swith the little metal buckle/pin aside and simply pull out the bulb. reverse the process with the new bulbs, and voila:thumbup: easy piecy!

voodoomaster
February 13th, 2009, 09:06 AM
YES lets be clear about this, cos i had exact same problem. you DONT! have to unmount anything to change bulbs. No fairing pieces needs to come off. i also bought some high intensity light bulbs, but was a bit confused because the manual said nothing about changing bulbs. but anyways, you just have to take your hand, and reach up from underneath the front piece that holds the headlight. first pull off the round rubber grommets that sits over where the bulbs are held. next swith the little metal buckle/pin aside and simply pull out the bulb. reverse the process with the new bulbs, and voila:thumbup: easy piecy!

Excellent my good friends....excellent. Now I see the light :bow:. This weekend the old bulbs come out and the hotties go in. The fairings will be off anyway cause I gotta change out the plugs and scope out the valve train. Thanks for all the replies to my questions.

PSO-08ninja250rblack
February 13th, 2009, 10:09 AM
good luck:D and do post some pics:thumbup:

Guinss
February 13th, 2009, 10:45 AM
high intensity light bulbs

Where do you buy those? :)

voodoomaster
February 13th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Where do you buy those? :)

Buy those what?

voodoomaster
February 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I went out to the PIAA webdite and bought a set of their H7 high intensity bulbs. Also can get a score of hits on EBAY for H7's.

VDM

bikermunda
February 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM
how some one post the DIY guide for installing the bulbs without removing the fairing

I am looking for some suggestions for high intensity bulbs or HID ?

Guinss
February 13th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Buy those what?

the high intensity bulbs

voodoomaster
February 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM
the high intensity bulbs

PIAA :55W = 110 Watts of light.

Guinss
February 13th, 2009, 01:09 PM
PIAA :55W = 110 Watts of light.

ok :)

let us know how they work ;) pics would be great too.

bikermunda
February 13th, 2009, 02:14 PM
i want to know more details about the brand and the model number of the bulbs this is avoid me buying something wrong

Sailariel
February 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM

Sounds easy. The problem with me is that I have some largish hands {size 14 ring and XXXL Gloves} I`ll have to get my wife to do that project. Actually, I plan to take all the fairings off as per Kelly`s superb DIY. At that point I`ll detail the bike, install HID lights, change the directional and driving lights to LED, wire the rear directionals to work in conjunction with the brake light and be always on except when flashing for a change in direction. Everything that I have seen concerning lights, points to a triangle as being the most unmistakable cofigueration, e.g. Headlights (on the Ninjette High and Low look like one light) That would be the top of the triangle. The two sides would be driving lights. (they can be very small, but should be bright) On the back, the tail/brake light would be the top of the triangle and the "always on" directionals would constitute the sides. Think about it--Have you ever misidentified a Harley from head on? Most of them also run driving lights. A white or red triangle will get a cager`s attention unless they are chatting or texting on their cell phone. I run a white and red triangle on my Touring Bike and have never had a problem with a cager. (I run lights in the daytime on my touring bicycle} This info comes from some pretty extensive research on bicycle safety. I think it can apply to us sport bikers.

bikermunda
February 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM
is it legal to have white light in california ?

voodoomaster
February 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM
i want to know more details about the brand and the model number of the bulbs this is avoid me buying something wrong

:cool: Easy one this is. The PIAA bulbs are "H7" same as the stock bulbs. Another choice is Xtreme Vision H7 8500K, Automotive Xenon Bulbs (super white) which are 12volt / 55 W. You just can't get it wrong partner. Look for H7 bulbs. EBAY has a ton of Sellers out there as well.

I changed mine this morning, by taking off the right side fairing only, nothing more. One fairing off was all it took to see everything and to get my mediim size paws in there to work. Taking off any additional plastic is not going to help with the access at all. This job was so easy, even a "CAVEMAN COULD DO IT"! :beatdeadhorse: No pictures even needed on this one.

bikermunda
February 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H7-70-W-Xenon-White-High-Intensity-Headlamp-Bulbs_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a 1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem30028988 7481QQitemZ300289887481QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

what does people think about this one

kkim
February 13th, 2009, 05:25 PM
for those installing ungraded bulbs, are you aware you can install a set (2 headlights) of HIDs for $60? There is no comparison between the light output of upgraded bulbs and HIDs. :)

voodoomaster
February 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM
for those installing ungraded bulbs, are you aware you can install a set (2 headlights) of HIDs for $60? There is no comparison between the light output of upgraded bulbs and HIDs. :)

Yup..did know that. Decided to forgo adding additional luggage and wiring. The higher intensity bulbs I slapped in have made an improvement for me, enough of an improvement to satisfy even me ( I am very anal about any changes to my production blue voodoo).

voodoomaster
February 13th, 2009, 05:42 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H7-70-W-Xenon-White-High-Intensity-Headlamp-Bulbs_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a 1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem30028988 7481QQitemZ300289887481QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

what does people think about this one

One might consider that these aftermarket bulbs are 70 watt models vs. the stock 55 watt bulbs. These will draw more current from your already tiny headlight circuit wiring and will also burn hotter than the 55 watt selections. :2cents: + :2cents: = 5?

bikermunda
February 13th, 2009, 11:11 PM

do you know where can i find HID lights ?

kkim
February 13th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Look in the DIY section of the site. There is a thread with all the info you need on installing the HIDs and where to buy them from.

CZroe
October 18th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Are any of you thinking of selling your original light?

g21-30
October 18th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Check toward the end of the HID DIY. More info on bulbs, kits, etc. :thumbup:

villamia
November 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Did my first DIY today on my Ninjette. Highbeam buld went out and was not about to pay the ridiculous labor charge to get it done. Always inclined to learn and do as much as I can on my own, search forum, found this thread and bam! Done. Fairly easy. Had some trouble losening the metal pin but other than that went well. Thnx! :thumbup:

Sailariel
November 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Since joining ninjette.org, the only part of the Factory Shop Manual I use is the section on torque specs. I use a torque wrench on every bolt, Allen head bolt, JIS Screw (#2 Drywall bit seems to work). What makes it so easy is that I found a 1/4" drive Torque Wrench at Nashbar.com for $59.99US. It comes in a nice case, complete with a set of metric Allen Head bits, and a conversion table for Inch Pounds and Newton Metres. The wrench unlike the 3/8"variety and 1/2" variety is diminuative in size, allowing you acess into many places heretofore inacessable. This is a high quality tool---trust me, all my tools are either Snap-on, Craftsman, or Park. I am too old for "busted knuckles". I am blessed to have a shop with good lighting and heat. I have also made room for my dinosaur 12 year old laptop in the shop. Its only purpose is to acess all the DIYs on this forum. Thanks to all the people contributing to this forum, I may yet become a motorcycle wrench like I was in the past. I am already pretty well established as a bicycle wrench. The DIY section on this forum is priceless.

welcome2thedawn
November 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
i see these conversion kits on ebay....are these necessary...or just a way to get more money out of those of us who don't know you could just buy a bulb??? i could definately use more light as well

LibertyNKC
July 24th, 2010, 11:38 AM

I wanted to thank you and everyone on here for helping me change out my headlight that was burned out and had to ride home using the high beam. I got some really GREAT advice from you, and I quote "Put the kickstand down put the handlebars as far left as they will go and reach under and reach up from underneath the front piece that holds the headlight. first pull off the round rubber grommets that sits over where the bulbs are held. next swith the little metal buckle/pin aside and simply pull out the bulb". Easy as PIE!!! Thanks again.