View Full Version : Looking at "downgrading" to a 300, some questions.

JBizzle
May 15th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Hey everybody, long time lurker here (about a year) with a couple of posts.

Some back story:
College student, living on campus starting in Fall, South Florida.

I bought a 08 Ninja 250, ****er before me straight piped it making it super loud and annoying, also turns out he neglected to change the oil or do any maintenance at all since the initial 600ish mile service. I bought it around 7500+ miles and learned on it for a month, exhaust got annoying quick and I didn't want to spend the money on fixing it and doing the $400+ service I got quoted for oil change and valve check/adjustment.

Sold my crappy car and had a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket. Sold the ninjette because of exhaust and expenses.

Friends convinced me to just "upgrade" to a 600cc supersport. I feel like it draws way too much attention and I scare myself on it sometimes because it just wants to go way too fast.

I've heard great things about the 300 and people say it has enough power for street riding/commuting. I do a fair amount of short commutes on the highway right now but I don't need to ever go 150mph

Anyways, is it worth buying it brand new at a dealership or should I try the craigslist route? What's a fair price to pay and any other expenses I should expect to incur with it over the next year or so? Just strictly bike wise, I already have a helmet, jacket, gauntlet gloves, pants, and boots. What does insurance run most of you guys? Mine is kinda high right now probably because it's a crotch rocket.

I know everyone is going to say that they love the 300, but how's it compare to the 250 power wise? Does anybody ever ride 2up? I'm going to be living on campus at college and just need something that's fun to ride, good for commuting, decent on the highway and ideally something I can ride around with a girlfriend on the back (I have an extra helmet jacket and gloves)

alex.s
May 15th, 2013, 04:40 PM
300 is a great bike. i really can't say anything bad about it, aside from having standard reflector lights. coming from me, that is saying a lot.

Alex
May 15th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Here was my review of my new 300 a few months back. We've owned a pre-gen 250, a new-gen 250, and now the 300, (along with a pile of other bikes), so I was able to make at least a partially lucid comparison between the ninjette generations.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115561

Bottom line, the 300 is a moderate improvement over the 250 in almost each and every area. The most significant downside is the cost. A cheap used 250 will have a large portion of a new 300's capabilities, so fun per dollar ratio is really up to the buyer's own viewpoint.

old3
May 15th, 2013, 05:07 PM
We've swapped my 300 and my son's 2012 250 on rides and there is enough power difference to make them stand apart as totally different machines IMO. Everything else is marginally better, or a little worse, like the brake pads and plastics quality.

Passenger seat is a bit smaller too. I ride 2 up, I'm over 200 lbs, no issues. +1 CS sprocket. Cruises at GPS confirmed 85 MPH no sweat. Stays in 6th on hills where the 250 needs 2 down shifts.

I've had the pre, new and the 500. It is most like the 500 after you slap a tuner in it.

JBizzle
May 15th, 2013, 05:14 PM
300 is a great bike. i really can't say anything bad about it, aside from having standard reflector lights. coming from me, that is saying a lot.
Your avatar says you own two 250's but not a 300?

Here was my review of my new 300 a few months back. We've owned a pre-gen 250, a new-gen 250, and now the 300, (along with a pile of other bikes), so I was able to make at least a partially lucid comparison between the ninjette generations.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115561

Bottom line, the 300 is a moderate improvement over the 250 in almost each and every area. The most significant downside is the cost. A cheap used 250 will have a large portion of a new 300's capabilities, so fun per dollar ratio is really up to the buyer's own viewpoint.
Just read through the review had some interesting points like the brake pads, the 300 is more expensive but it looks just plain awesome compared to the 250's :)

We've swapped my 300 and my son's 2012 250 on rides and there is enough power difference to make them stand apart as totally different machines IMO. Everything else is marginally better, or a little worse, like the brake pads and plastics quality.

Passenger seat is a bit smaller too. I ride 2 up, I'm over 200 lbs, no issues. +1 CS sprocket. Cruises at GPS confirmed 85 MPH no sweat. Stays in 6th on hills where the 250 needs 2 down shifts.

I've had the pre, new and the 500. It is most like the 500 after you slap a tuner in it.
What don't you like with the plastics? How is it with a passenger(lightweight wife/gf I assume)? I'm 6 feet tall and weigh around 180 on a good day.

old3
May 15th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Putting me on the friggin spot there bro! Lets say combined weight never exceeds 350 lbs? OK? :thumbup:

Plastics are fragile. I had a pin snap off while reinstalling the side panel under the seat, and I was being super careful as you can feel how brittle they are.

The front sides regularly pop to show a 1/8" or so gap. Solutions are being explored. I just knock mine back in if I notice it. It may be as simple as the frame tab under it being just out of range, a simple tweak outward is being tried by someone else. Puts more pressure to hold them together. The little tabs that align/hold them are not very robust.

psych0hans
May 15th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Why not look into a happy "middle" bike like a 650? More power than a 250 and 300 combined, yet not crazy fast like a 600...

Aurodox
May 15th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Just in case you were wondering, it handles the highway perfectly! :thumbup:
g1sVZwzn4-w

I love my 300. I love it more than my old 2003 CBR600RR. :D

Also, I find the brake pads to be enough for my needs. Some people claim that they feel squishy, which is true. You do need to use more pressure than others are used to, but they still stop the bike quickly nonetheless.

tfkrocks
May 15th, 2013, 10:50 PM
The extra power of the 300 over the 250 made me plenty happy. Hell everything about it made me much happier.

alex.s
May 16th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Plastics are fragile. I had a pin snap off while reinstalling the side panel under the seat, and I was being super careful as you can feel how brittle they are.

to be fair the 250 plastics aren't exactly great either though. none of those pop rivets last and the tail on the 250 is always messed up a little bit... i mean hell they hold on part of the tail with velcro on the 250...

snowbandit
June 6th, 2013, 03:02 PM
For me the 300 abs was worth getting new, but that's mostly because I was able to negotiate two new helmets into it and get an OTD price of $5400. If I had to pay over 6k for it, i think i might've gotten something else.

LNasty
June 6th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Why not look into a happy "middle" bike like a 650? More power than a 250 and 300 combined, yet not crazy fast like a 600...

just wondering how a 650 is not as fast as a 600? :confused:

tfkrocks
June 6th, 2013, 03:47 PM

650 is more touring oriented and not a supersport.

shizblam
June 6th, 2013, 03:52 PM

650 is also a twin and not an inline 4... totally different power delivery... 600 is significantly faster than a 650.

Jiggles
June 6th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Lol?

But he actually has a point, on the street a 650 could easily keep up with a 600

CycleCam303
June 6th, 2013, 09:23 PM
OP did you like the 250 aside from the obnoxious exhaust? The 300 is step up from that. Honestly the 300 sounds perfect for you based off of what you are saying.

Jiggles used this concept before so I'm going to steal it. How often are you above 8 or 10k rpms on your gixxer? Because right around there the bike is starting to make 650 twin power. Which is what 60ish hp at the wheel with the throttle slammed open. Point is if you're never really using more than 60% of the power then the slow bikes will fit your needs perfectly.

JBizzle
June 6th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Lol?

But he actually has a point, on the street a 650 could easily keep up with a 600

Sold the squidly 600 today, rode a friends 650 and liked it a lot. Could definitely keep up with a 600 until around 100mph, inline-4's like their high rpm range.

Time to start shopping around for the 300...

RJprod
June 7th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Some back story:
College student, living on campus starting in Fall, South Florida.

Go Bulls... ah ah.. Look me up this Fall.. I go there too.. Since last august..

by the way do you know where you're gonna stay on campus..?

JBizzle
June 11th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Go Bulls... ah ah.. Look me up this Fall.. I go there too.. Since last august..

by the way do you know where you're gonna stay on campus..?

My bad, by "South Florida" I meant that I live in South Florida right now. I'll be living at and attending UCF in Orlando, go Knights! Do you also own a car or just the ninjette?

RJprod
June 11th, 2013, 07:06 AM
My bad, by "South Florida" I meant that I live in South Florida right now. I'll be living at and attending UCF in Orlando, go Knights! Do you also own a car or just the ninjette?

boooooo.... I only have the ninjette. There r times when I wish I had a car or a bigger bike like when it's raining or giving a ride to a big booty girl...