View Full Version : Need opinion in a hurry!

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hi everyone. I'm torn about a decision, and I could use the help of the forum.

It's been years since I've ridden (I'm 45 and I sold my tiny Honda Rebel about 18 years ago).

After looking and looking, I have decided that a Ninja 250 is just the ticket to get back into riding. However, I am faced with a dilemma. Money is, of course, tight right now, so I have two options.

1) Used 2005 Ninjette. Looks like it was dumped once at low speed. A little oxidation up on either side of the handles by the starter and clutch. Not bad looking. After tax and docs, etc., and with needed riding gear, around $3600. Positives - cost Negatives - Don't know problems may be getting (buying from dealer, though), no warranty. :confused:

2) Brand new 2009 Ninjette - cost after bike and gear, around $5600 or so. I would, of course, prefer the new one, but we're talking $2000 difference when all is said and done. Positives - Warranty, changes made in 2008, brand new, looks awesome. Negatives - Cost, cost, and cost. :eek:

My question is this: Are the changes to the 2009 worth putting the extra $2000 on the line, or would the used bike be your preference? I've been batting this around in my brain for days now, and my wife and I can't seem to come to any agreement. Thus, I am asking Ninjette riders for your experienced opinions. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to buy today or tomorrow, as my car died recently and I need transportation. :rolleyes:

Nemy
February 12th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I voted 2009 - but what are the prices of the actual bikes without factoring in the gear? Cause then depending on the price of the 05 and the condition it's in, it might not be worth it anyways. Plus, if I hadn't been riding in awhile, I know I would want something similar to as if I was picking up my first bike - something that's reliable so you can enjoy the ride rather than have to worry about mechanical problems.

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Actual prices: 2009 - $5100 O.T.D. 2005 - $3100 O.T.D. (The 2005 may be negotiable by $100 or so. The 2009 is not.)

Alex
February 12th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Way too high a price for the 2005. Keep looking on craigslist and you'll find one in pristine condition for a little less than that price, and one in similar condition closer to $2K instead of $3K.

But I'd find a deal on a '09 anyway.

BlueTyke
February 12th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Though it is still a good idea to fix your car I voted for the 09. I did this because as someone stated earlier it is a peace of mind with the repairs as well as the fact that it would now be your transportation. You can websearch a lot of the gear and possibly find it cheaper than at a dealership.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of motorcycling.

HKr1
February 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Fix car, Then save for a 08-09 250r :)

BlueTyke
February 12th, 2009, 11:05 AM
How much to fix the car?

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 11:06 AM
But I'd find a deal on a '09 anyway.

How would you describe "a deal"? The dealer I am talking to says that the price is $3999 plus setup, docs, etc.

HKr1
February 12th, 2009, 11:06 AM
How much to fix the car?

What kinda car ?

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 11:08 AM
How much to fix the car?

Not sure. There are a variety of problems that need work, but the most recent issues involve the driver side window making a lot of noise and ... the car now seems to be having electrical issues. I don't think it's the battery. I think it may be something more severe. I haven't brought it to the shop yet. If I buy a bike I may donate the car. It's a 1995 Saturn SC2 that I've had for 10 years. It's been costing me around $600+ a year for general repairs.

camaroz1985
February 12th, 2009, 11:09 AM
The 05 is more than they were new! I would probably look around for a cheaper first gen and fix your car, so I didn't vote.

voodoomaster
February 12th, 2009, 11:10 AM
2009? Why not look for a 2008? You still get the great new design and will save a chunk of cash to boot. Here in Tucson, I bought a 2008 model Ninja 250 and saved $2800 bucks over buying a new 2009. And...the insurnace was not as high on a "used" vs. a "new" bike. :rolleyes:

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 11:10 AM
If I get a bike, I probably won't fix the car. I don't want to pay insurance on both.

Alex
February 12th, 2009, 11:11 AM
How would you describe "a deal"? The dealer I am talking to says that the price is $3999 plus setup, docs, etc.

$3999 + actual doc/license fees + tax = $4500 max. Setup fee is complete BS, these bikes take them 20 minutes to put on the floor after they are out of the crate. Is that worth $600 to you? It's total profit for the dealer, and $600 profit on top of the $500 he's making selling at MSRP, all on a $4k bike, seems a bit greedy to me.

I bought a used '08 that was 2 months old, in absolutely perfect condition with 1000 miles on it for $4K total. I'd keep looking for a dealer that would find you an '09 in the color you want in the $4700ish range OTD max. But seeing how you need transportation ASAP, you're not in a great bargaining situation, and you may not have time on your side.

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 11:12 AM
2009? Why not look for a 2008? You still get the great new design and will save a chunk of cash to boot. Here in Tucson, I bought a 2008 model Ninja 250 and saved $2800 bucks over buying a new 2009. And...the insurnace was not as high on a "used" vs. a "new" bike. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have a problem buying a 2008 if I could find one. I'm very hesitant about buying from a private seller, just because it's my first bike in a while and I want to make sure that it hasn't been abused. Besides, I can't seem to find any 2008's in the area.

Alex
February 12th, 2009, 11:12 AM
If I get a bike, I probably won't fix the car. I don't want to pay insurance on both.

Do you have another car in the household? I can't imagine making do with a bike alone (grocery shopping, getting somewhere when it's pouring and all you want to do is get there rather than have fun on the way). But I know some people do it. :idunno:

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Alex,

Yes, we have a 2006 Civic. I wouldn't buy the bike if I didn't have other transportation.

We just bought a house with a two car garage. That covers my Civic and my son's Mazda3. However, the HOA says that you can't park on the street of our subdivision, so the third car has to be parked across the street from the subdivision by a gas station. I'm worried that if I keep parking there, the car will be gone. That's another reason we're looking at a bike. I could park it in the garage.

BlueTyke
February 12th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Tough HOA

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 11:21 AM
You ain't kiddin'!

kkim
February 12th, 2009, 11:25 AM
If you are set on a bike, charge your son rent, then use the money to finance a new bike. That or wait till for a good deal on a used bike comes along. owning a bike is not as cheap as it sounds on paper. I can't see where this is a good idea if you're trying to save money.

You could buy a pretty nice used car for the price of a new bike and gear. parking problem seems to be your son's, not yours.

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Already charge him rent. He pays his share, that's for sure.

The parking issue is really mine. His car is new, and our other car is "newer" than my Saturn. I would rather not leave the other two cars out of the garage just for my convenience.

I agree that it may not seem like a good idea when saving money, but I'm thinking about how much money I've been pumping into my Saturn over the last couple of years, knowing that it might not pass smog this year...

When your wife is more worried about you driving your old car than a motorcycle, you know the car is iffy!

kkim
February 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM
If your choices, then, are only between a used and a new bike w/ a difference of 2k, you're pretty much screwed. I'd pony up and buy a new bike at the cheapest OTD cost you can find and don't look back.

Have you checked with dealers in the surrounding states?

As Alex pointed out, you're pretty much stuck if you need it in the next day or 2. I personally think it's never a good idea to be in a rush with purchases like these.

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah. I'm feeling kind of stuck right now. The problem with dealers out of state is that when you bring the bike into California, it takes a certain time to license and there are extra fees that go along with it. By the time you're done, it ends up costing more than buying "in state".

BlueTyke
February 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
if you are willing to travel I would look and see if there might be something avaliable in the bay area.

I am not sure if this one is sold yet but this looks like a fine machine and I know the forum is a good place
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72553

Alex
February 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Have you checked with dealers in the surrounding states?

Not feasible in California. If a bike doesn't have the 50-state emissions sticker (or have the CARB sticker for California-only bikes), it has to have at least 7500 miles on it before it can be registered in CA as a used bike. AFAIK, the ninjettes have specific California versions (which are also sold in NY and the few other states that have gone to California CARB rules).

Broom
February 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM
buy a used 08. mine was a little rashed up (but not bad) with 5k miles. i got it for $2600 cash.

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Just found another dealer nearby. Gave me a quote of $4500 O.T.D. Going to go look at it tonight.

Still have to decide if fixing car is smarter move.

kkim
February 12th, 2009, 03:07 PM
From Alex's calculations, that seems like a decent deal. If you want a bike, you better hurry down there.

BTW, what color is it? :D

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 03:18 PM
It's blue. They have set it aside for me to look at this afternoon. Since I wanted blue or black, that works for me. They also said they will give me discounts on gear, so that helps, too. Besides, it's raining here this week, so I'm not sure how many folks will be cycle shopping today!:rolleyes:

OldGuy
February 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I have an '01 and just got back from my second ride on my new '09. GET THE 2009. The difference in handling, feel, is so great I could not believe it.

It's an investment. If you can buy the '09 then by all means. But don't spend 3600 on an '05. There should be some '07 or '08 out there for that price.

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the insight, oldguy.

I'm going to look at the '09 right now. I'm just torn deciding between the car and the bike, but I'm sure that if I buy the '09 I won't be disappointed.

I'll let you all know how it turns out. :cool:

OldGuy
February 12th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Keep us posted Adam. There are a lot of people that have way more experience than me that can help you if it's a used machine.

Sailariel
February 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Adam, $4500 OTD for an 09 is not too dusty. I would jump on it. Just think, you are doing what our illustrious leaders in Washington want you to do. You are stimulating the economy. I don`t really mean to sound facetious, but our tenant`s washing machine broke and it would have cost more to fix it than buy a new one--we stimulated the economy and bought a new one. Wife and I hauled it out of the store, hauled it into the apartment and installed it, and then hauled the old one (only 6 years old) to the recycling station. Worked hard today. Get the bike. It is an absolute pleasure to ride, will do wonders for your psyche, and is guaranteed to generate endorphins. You are making an investment in yourself. What else really matters?

athimmel
February 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Hi again.

Well...the deed has been done. I am now the proud (yet feeling upset that I spent the money on myself) owner of a blue 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250. The final price was $4431, and I get 10% off gear. I go back tomorrow to pick it up and buy the gear.

Not bad? I hope I can get past this sickening hatred of spending the cash on myself :eek:, but my wife is cool with it and has been very kind. So now you can add me to the list of Ninjette riders. :D

kkim
February 12th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Congrats, Adam!! Way to go!!!

Treat the wife kindly to avoid future wars over your new mistress. :D

also...

:worthlesswithoutpic

OldGuy
February 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the world of Second Generation 250's. You will be all smiles. Sounds like you have a great wife. Don't forget her on Valentines day or this could all go down the big pipe.

BlueTyke
February 13th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Yay!! Welcome!!

And did you see that Kelly??? It's BLUE :D Sexxxxsseeeee Man's got taste. No wonder he has himself a good wife!

TonyKZ1
February 13th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Well, as others have said the prices you're quoting are too high, especially for the used bikes. I'd check with other dealers, craigslist, or other Ninja 250 for sale pages (http://forums.ninja250.org/viewforum.php?f=49).
Tony

Alex
February 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I'd check with other dealers, craigslist, or other Ninja 250 for sale pages (http://forums.ninja250.org/viewforum.php?f=49).
Tony

The deed is done, he bought a new one (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=24853&postcount=34) already. Besides, every used one at that other site is known to have the cooties. :D

noche_caliente
February 13th, 2009, 08:41 PM
congrats Adam, and welcome! If she starts getting touchy about it, just let her sit on it near the tank when it's running - she'll grow to love it too :)

NJD022588
February 14th, 2009, 02:15 PM
congrats Adam, and welcome! If she starts getting touchy about it, just let her sit on it near the tank when it's running - she'll grow to love it too :)

lol :D

voodoomaster
February 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Hi again.

Well...the deed has been done. I am now the proud (yet feeling upset that I spent the money on myself) owner of a blue 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250. The final price was $4431, and I get 10% off gear. I go back tomorrow to pick it up and buy the gear.

Not bad? I hope I can get past this sickening hatred of spending the cash on myself :eek:, but my wife is cool with it and has been very kind. So now you can add me to the list of Ninjette riders. :D

:cool: Kick Ass athimmel! These toyz are the riot.

athimmel
February 16th, 2009, 09:21 PM
UPDATE - There was finally a break in the weather, so I went down and picked up my Ninja today. I was nervous, because I hadn't been riding in 20 years and the ground was extremely wet. I took a couple of turns around the parking lot to get the feel of it. I started to have pain in my hip area and worried that this was a bad choice for me. Still, after a couple of turns, I decided that I didn't want to risk getting caught in another storm and signaled the wife that I was heading out. I didn't want to tax the new engine, so I took it easy. The engine didn't sound very happy, and I'm thinking that it needs to be broken in, so I didn't worry. After a few minutes, I got back into the habit of riding, the bike started to feel comfortable, and I realized how much I missed riding. I got home safe and sound and was very happy that I had bought the Ninja instead of a cruiser.

Now I just have to wait for these floodwaters to stop falling from the sky to get back out again. Thanks to all who gave their advice, and for putting up with an old newbie.

kkim
February 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM
pictures?? :(

OldGuy
February 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM
UPDATE - There was finally a break in the weather, so I went down and picked up my Ninja today. The engine didn't sound very happy, and I'm thinking that it needs to be broken in, so I didn't worry.

Congratulations I know you are going to have fun. I'd leave the snorkel in until the rains let up :rolleyes:

If you haven't gone looking for it here is the thread on engine break in methods - http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10171&highlight=engine+break

Have fun and ride safe.

jpnfrk
February 16th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Those first minutes in the parking lot must have been terribly exciting!! Any pics yet???

Angel-be-Good
February 16th, 2009, 09:41 PM
If you intend to keep the bike for a long time, it could definitely be worth paying extra for the one you "really want"--I did, and it was worth it (http://www.jadedgamefans.com/ninja250blog/?p=127). If you plan to use the bike to get up to speed before moving to something else that you "really want," you're better off saving the cash and finding a used 'Jette for $2,500.

athimmel
February 16th, 2009, 09:52 PM
No pics yet, but I'll try to get one or two up soon. :artist:

To jpnfrk - Yes, the first minutes in the parking lot were exciting - and a bit scary. The pavement was very wet and I thought of how embarrassing it would be to dump the bike in the parking lot! :confused40:

To oldguy - I'll take a look at the link. Thanks a lot!

Alex
February 17th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Congrats! :thumbup: (Now go edit your profile (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile) to show off that new machine of yours :p)

komohana
February 17th, 2009, 04:58 AM
glad you got yer baby home in foul weather...get some pix posted! stay safe :thumbup:

devinjc
February 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
That's a pretty decent price for Cali, although I'm sure demand has dropped from the crazy 08 situation last year around this time. Where did you pick it up?

And get out in the rain and get your riding on you won't melt! :P Grats on the new ride.

birdy
February 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Sweet!!:thumbup: I'm jealous, I've got to wait another month before my comes in:mad:Your deal not too bad, my OTD price was $4200 here in Virginia.. Enjoy!!

OldGuy
February 17th, 2009, 06:03 PM
To oldguy - I'll take a look at the link. Thanks a lot!

Keep in mind as Alex, KKim, and others will tell you there is no Gospel on engine break in other than to CHANGE THE OIL EARLY AND OFTEN and use a good filter (other threads with everything you want to know).

I think the one thing everyone will agree on is don't get on the highway and hold constant RPMs and constant load for long periods of time in the first few hundred miles.

Alex
February 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Keep in mind as Alex, KKim, and others will tell you there is no Gospel on engine break in other than to CHANGE THE OIL EARLY AND OFTEN and use a good filter (other threads with everything you want to know).

Kelly is definitely in line with that, me not so much. I think the change the oil X>3 times before 1000 miles certainly isn't hurting anything, but it isn't helping anything either. If it makes people feel better, more power to them. But Kawi doesn't care. And your ninjette won't care either.

Blue Monkey
February 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Way to go Adam. Good choice on color. Blue is sexy!!! You will stop feeling guilty every time you go and fill it up with gas. Ride safe!! and welcome to the club.

athimmel
February 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM
That's a pretty decent price for Cali, although I'm sure demand has dropped from the crazy 08 situation last year around this time. Where did you pick it up?

And get out in the rain and get your riding on you won't melt! :P Grats on the new ride.

MDK Motorsports in Folsom, CA.

I may get out in the rain if I get two things: a rain suit and confidence in my riding.
Posted via Mobile Device

athimmel
February 17th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Way to go Adam. Good choice on color. Blue is sexy!!! You will stop feeling guilty every time you go and fill it up with gas. Ride safe!! and welcome to the club.

I don't know if it's sexy, but it sure looks cool to me! Thanks for the kind wishes.
Posted via Mobile Device

KJohnson21
February 17th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Good to hear that you found a good deal and that you got home okay.

:welcome:

athimmel
February 17th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Good to hear that you found a good deal and that you got home okay.

:welcome:

Me too! Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

athimmel
February 20th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Well, to prove I have my Ninja, I am posting the requested pic. Thanks to all for your advice and kindness.:D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3576/3294853555_f2ce2277fe_m.jpg

NJD022588
February 20th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Looks good. So clean!

My wheels dont shine anymore...

voodoomaster
February 20th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Well, to prove I have my Ninja, I am posting the requested pic. Thanks to all for your advice and kindness.:D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3576/3294853555_f2ce2277fe_m.jpg

Blue Nijas Rules.....

noche_caliente
February 20th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Looks good. So clean!

My wheels dont shine anymore...

That's cause you don't wash your bike! As a b-day gift, you're welcome to come over here and wash it - the hubby has lots of detailing stuff, and we can hook the hose to HOT water in the garage :)

voodoomaster
February 21st, 2009, 05:44 AM
That's cause you don't wash your bike! As a b-day gift, you're welcome to come over here and wash it - the hubby has lots of detailing stuff, and we can hook the hose to HOT water in the garage :)

so....where is mundo de ensueño:confused20:

Snake
February 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM
You have to take into consideration the cold and rainy days when you can't ride the bike. If you can't have both then I would get the cage (car) fixed. If you can have both then I would go with a used 08 model. Although I love my 05 medel, the next generation bikes are much better looking.

NJD022588
February 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM

:D

I was halfway through the post when I was thinking "It's too cold to wash anything right now." Go HOT water!

The bike has only been washed in the rain, with a towel dry in places that wont completely ruin the towel.

ARc
February 21st, 2009, 12:04 PM
Congrats on the purchase. I wish I had saved up and bought the 09 model ::sadface::

:D