View Full Version : The Only Thing I Hate Is...

Purspeed
February 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM
This damn economy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kkim
February 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM
my solution...
:drunk1:

wanna share???? :bartend2:

ninjabrewer
February 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM
This damn economy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clapping:

And as the saying goes, when the going gets tough, the tough go the bar.

:cheers:

I know, the job market really blows right now, and with the title of this thread, this might get interesting.

:pop2:

TnNinjaGirl
February 13th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Why can't people be happy with the job they have now? Assuming they have a job and haven't been fired. I haven't looked that deeply into it, but who is gettig fired right now? I'm under the impression its the 100k+ managerial group. How many 25 year old cooks do we need in the kitchen in the first place? Not everyone can tell everyone else what to do. Roll your sleeves up, flip a burger, clean a toilet. Service always seems to do well. Especially mechanics and plumbers and the like. People keep their old stuff instead of buying new. Old stuff breaks and is out of warranty so you have to call the repair guy/gal. The economy is still stimulated even if you don't go out and buy new stuff, it's just redistribution of wealth as our newly electecd Commander in Chief refers to it. ;)

OldGuy
February 13th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Service always seems to do well. Especially mechanics and plumbers and the like. People keep their old stuff instead of buying new. Old stuff breaks and is out of warranty so you have to call the repair guy/gal. ;)

The problem I have found in the last few years is many of today's consumer products are "designed obsolescence" or "non-repairable".

Alex.B and I can remember the day that when your TV picture got fuzzy you took the back of, tapped on the tubes in the area that was having a problem (they used to put tube location diagrams and ID what the circuit was for - Vhold, Hhold, etc) and see which one was going bad. Absent that, take the tubes to Radio Shack or the local TV Store and but them on a tester.

Not much anybody can due when they are sealed up and you can't get inside to repair them or the "diagnostic charges" are 75% of a new one.

camaroz1985
February 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Why can't people be happy with the job they have now? Assuming they have a job and haven't been fired. I haven't looked that deeply into it, but who is gettig fired right now? I'm under the impression its the 100k+ managerial group. How many 25 year old cooks do we need in the kitchen in the first place? Not everyone can tell everyone else what to do. Roll your sleeves up, flip a burger, clean a toilet. Service always seems to do well. Especially mechanics and plumbers and the like. People keep their old stuff instead of buying new. Old stuff breaks and is out of warranty so you have to call the repair guy/gal. The economy is still stimulated even if you don't go out and buy new stuff, it's just redistribution of wealth as our newly electecd Commander in Chief refers to it. ;)

Lots of people are being laid off, not just the 100k+ managerial group.

HKr1
February 13th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Alex.B and I can remember the day that when your TV picture got fuzzy you took the back of, tapped on the tubes in the area that was having a problem (they used to put tube location diagrams and ID what the circuit was for - Vhold, Hhold, etc) and see which one was going bad. Absent that, take the tubes to Radio Shack or the local TV Store and but them on a tester.

Not much anybody can due when they are sealed up and you can't get inside to repair them or the "diagnostic charges" are 75% of a new one.

Backs still come off :) Interent helps allot now with repairs. Brother sony just took a dump. Has a bad D-board, can replace that for 200 bucks..... or get the two IC's for it. Went with the two IC's for 8 bucks each :thumbup:

Sucks to get laid off thou! Was funny the other day bbc knew of usa lay offs, before the news here mentioned it :confused:

cwb48
February 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I recently repaired my 5 year old Toshiba 42" RPTV using instructions I found on the web. The repair was replacement of some "convergence amplifier" ICs that cost about $25. Estimated cost for a technician to come to your home and do this repair was $300-$400. I spent less than $50 to do the job, and it took about 2 hours. The picture looks better than ever.

Not everything made today is beyond repair.

Chris

ninjabrewer
February 13th, 2009, 02:14 PM
The problem I have found in the last few years is many of today's consumer products are "designed obsolescence" or "non-repairable".

Oh gawd, I can remember that too. I haven't repaired any of the devices that a few have mentioned but I have repaired quite a few items from info on the internet, ie washer and dryer when SWMBO was constantly saying, lets get a new one. I might have to look into the other things.

nb

kkim
February 13th, 2009, 02:17 PM
SWMBO???

do I really want to hear what this stands for? :D

ninjabrewer
February 13th, 2009, 02:26 PM
SWMBO???

do I really want to hear what this stands for? :D

S - she
W - who
M - must
B - be
O - obeyed

aka ball and chain, the battleaxe, ol' lady, that broad at the house, the ol'broad, spouse, wife, future ex, better half, significant other, mate, consort, wifey, wahine, the missus, lipstick 6, household 6, (those last 2, you pretty much have to be Army or vet to know):thumbup:

Alex
February 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I'm going with "She Who Must Be Obeyed". I'm familiar with the term. :)

EDIT: (posted at the same time. Good guess!)

Sailariel
February 13th, 2009, 02:31 PM
The day before yesterday our tenant`s six year old washing machine stopped working. Ascertained that the pump was toast. The repairman from Sears wanted $75 to come from Bangor (47 mi), $65 an hour labour, and $250 for a new pump. I asked if I could stop by his shop and pick up a rebuilding kit--no such thing. He also can`t sell me a pump because I am not an appliance repairperson. The math involved is not rocket science. Wife and I drove to our local appliance store and got a brand new Maytag top loader for $305. Hauled it home in our Suburban and installed it. Took the old machine to the transfer station for recycling for a cost of $3. Sears wanted a $30 disposal fee. I started a bicycle shop two years ago and cannot be happier. After 35 years in the medical field, bicycle mechanics is a joy. I love it when a customer gets on his bike and rides around the block---then says, "Is this really my bike?" I like to tune them as friction free as possible. A wheel done right should spin freely for three minutes after giving it a moderate push. The gears also should shift smoothly and quietly. Bicycles are an addiction.

Sailariel
February 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'm going with "She Who Must Be Obeyed". I'm familiar with the term. :)

EDIT: (posted at the same time. Good guess!)

I always subscribed to: "To insure Domestic Tranquility"

OldGuy
February 13th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I like to tune them as friction free as possible. A wheel done right should spin freely for three minutes after giving it a moderate push. The gears also should shift smoothly and quietly. Bicycles are an addiction.

Can I send my Serotta up to you for a tune up?

Purspeed
February 13th, 2009, 08:22 PM
my solution...
:drunk1:

wanna share???? :bartend2:

Absolutely! :thumbup:

@ TnNinjaGirl:

Everyone, and I mean everyone, at all levels are being affected in a very, very bad way.

I work in the food service industry and I get to meet all kinds of people: from the very rich to the very poor. I know rich people who have lost almost their entire fortune. There are top scientists from Merck, GlaxoSmithKlein who are laid off and can't get entry level jobs.

I know chemical engineers who are laid off.

I just found out that my friend's parents (laid off) just sold their home and are moving into an 1-bedroom apartment and my friend (their daughter) is a chemistry graduate who was laid off. The stress she feels probably approaches mine...

And as for work? There is almost nothing out there. Even minimum wage work is almost impossible to come by.

I'm in California and I have never seen anything like it. And, it's just the beginning. Once the unemployment checks stop coming in, you will see the credit bubble burst.

Stand by for the fallout on that one...

ninjabrewer
February 13th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Well there is always one fall back..........you can always enlist. :rolleyes:
From what I am seeing, all the services are seeing increased enlistments and reenlistments since the economy took a nose dive.

besides, enlisting is similar to marriage..... a lot of people complain, but you would be surprised at the number who stick around.

nb

Sailariel
February 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Can I send my Serotta up to you for a tune up?

Absolutely. I love working on High End bikes. You will love this: I tried to register at our local Voc-Tech school for a welding course offered in the spring semester. I have to get special permission--not because I am 67, but because I have two master`s degrees and this is a High School course. I am willing to pay the $125 tuition--still waiting. I can go to the University of Maine free, but they don`t offer welding. The Voc centre has such neat courses like Building/Construction, Auto Mechanics, Computer, Carpentry, even Boatbuilding. I hope they let me in. I get along good with HS kids. I`ll offer them a trade: I`ll teach a Bicycle Repair course if they let me take welding, carpentry, and Building/construction.

OldGuy
February 14th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I love it - it's a shame we don't all live within a 100 mile radius of each other. On weekends we could have a big ride, some good eats, and just sit back and shoot the breeze.

Sailariel
February 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Don, I can just sit back in amazement. "Doc, you are overqualified for a High School course" I think that I will go and see our local welder and see if he can teach me---maybe even do an informal apprenticeship. Then I can make an informed choice when I buy my own welder. I did that with our bicycle shop. We are not in competition. I work on stuff he has no time for. I also buy all my parts from him.

HKr1
February 14th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Well there is always one fall back..........you can always enlist. :rolleyes:

nb

When I wound up homeless & jobless.... Thats just what I did, they pay for everything :) < They do have an age limit thou..... ;)

Alex
February 14th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hey, if everyone were happily employed (including me!), ninjette.org wouldn't exist. So there's always an upside to be found. :thumbup:

Purspeed
February 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hey, if everyone were happily employed (including me!), ninjette.org wouldn't exist. So there's always an upside to be found. :thumbup:

Hahaha...good one. :)