View Full Version : How do I remove the Cat from my California model?

quadcrazy
May 18th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Hey guys, so I have a California model Ninja 300. From what I understand this comes stock with a cat and some other components that I don't know much about. I read somewhere that removing the cat may slightly increase power and seeing as how I live in Florida I don't need it. Does anyone know how I could go about doing this?

Thanks

Joshorilla
May 18th, 2013, 10:04 AM
You don't "need" it by law, but there is a strong moral argument to leaving it in, they measurably reduce emissions, and manufacturers but them in for a good reason.

If you did cut the cat out, you would also need to change the fuel ratio by using a piggyback device or re-flashing the computer or you'll run lean.

If the 300 has a snorkel, you could remove this for more power.

old3
May 18th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Towards the end of the thread.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120376

I'd ride it without a tuner for a bit, but definitely get one at some point. The Area-P is excellent.

quadcrazy
May 18th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I can definitely respect the moral argument of leaving it on, I'm just curious as to how to do it. I appreciate the responses but what do you guys mean by it running lean? And what is a tuner?

Thanks again.

old3
May 18th, 2013, 05:16 PM
The fueling is a bit lean to begin with on the 300, less fuel than air to better pass smog testing. When you remove air restrictions in the path of that charge, either intake or exhaust, it gets leaner still.

A tuner is a piggy back computer that adds or subtracts fuel for the best ratio that the engine works at regardless of what a government document says it should be. The engineers who built the bike would have the fuel set this way if they were free to do so. An Area P tuner can adds gobs of torque and power to a bone stock bike.

Honestly, if you aren't sure what these things do yet, take some more time to get your feet wet. Do your homework and figure what you want and what you need. :thumbup:

quadcrazy
May 19th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Appreciate the responses, I'll look more into everything.

adouglas
May 19th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Offer it a saucer of warm milk.

Bthibodeaux
May 19th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Jim,
I am planning to remove my cat next weekend, and install the Area P tuner with Akrapovic S/O. So I guess I am a copy cat....

Anyway, can you tell me how much of the header you cut off to get to the cat internals?

Thanks,
Brian

old3
May 19th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Jim,
I am planning to remove my cat next weekend, and install the Area P tuner with Akrapovic S/O. So I guess I am a copy cat....

Anyway, can you tell me how much of the header you cut off to get to the cat internals?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian, if you look at post #20 in the thread I linked above you can see where I cut mine. That should get you close enough, it chipped out pretty easily. One slice, remove and weld it back together. If you have a welder at home it is a one hour job start to finish, tops.

Joshorilla
May 19th, 2013, 02:45 PM
If you invest in a bazzaz unit, you will have the ability to add a self tuner unit, and will have access to all the maps other users upload to their DB.

It's a little more expensive than the area p, but the software seems better and the access to maps from their DB also seems better.

http://www.bazzaz.net/index.php/maps-research-database

Bthibodeaux
May 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Brian, if you look at post #20 in the thread I linked above you can see where I cut mine. That should get you close enough, it chipped out pretty easily. One slice, remove and weld it back together. If you have a welder at home it is a one hour job start to finish, tops.

Got it. Thank you! Yep, have a little Miller 135 MIG.

old3
May 19th, 2013, 03:27 PM
IIRC you can stick a wire in there to get a fix on the cat so you avoid chopping thru it. :thumbup:

quadcrazy
May 19th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Hey old3,

So basically you cut the exhaust and pulled out the cat? Then had it welded back together? Before installing the tuner I mean.

old3
May 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Yep. Off road use only, of course.

quadcrazy
May 20th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Yep. Off road use only, of course.

What do you mean? Sorry for my noobness.

old3
May 20th, 2013, 01:01 PM
That is the tag all the exhaust companies put on their systems and cans. :thumbup: