View Full Version : Oil Level

tnr4
May 22nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
I have a question about oil level, for some of you folks more experienced with doing your own maintenance. My 300 has about 5700 miles on it, so I have nearly 2000 miles to go before my next scheduled oil change. The break-in service was done for free, so I let the dealership do it. But I was just doing a walk-around today when I got home, and decided to hold the bike upright to check the oil level (since I just took a fairly long trip). The sight glass barely showed any oil. So, even though I had come home fairly recently and so the bike was warm, I went ahead and got the keys, ran it for a couple minutes, shut it down, and checked again. As you can see in the pic, the oil is right at the bottom line.

I assume I should add some oil to make it to the 7500mi check-up, but I don't know what kind the dealership used. That probably needs to be matched, right?

Also, should I be concerned that it's that low, 2000mi before its due for a change? I just did a 1300mi trip, and I do commute in DC, so maybe those conditions explain the use? I have never seen any puddles or anything.

I appreciate any advice you all have! :thumbup:

I have no idea why that pic uploaded upside-down!

lgk
May 22nd, 2013, 02:29 PM
should say what oil they used on the service receipt.
i would put the bike level on stands, then get another reading after a 15Min rest.

if your bike ate through that much oil you got issues.

ETA: check the bulb near the airbox, also.

tnr4
May 22nd, 2013, 02:35 PM
should say what oil they used on the service receipt.
i would put the bike level on stands, then get another reading after a 15Min rest.

if your bike ate through that much oil you got issues.

ETA: check the bulb near the airbox, also.

Hmmm. That's disconcerting. Okay, got her up on stands now. What bulb is this? You mean an additional sight glass?

lgk
May 22nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
there should be a small clear bulb attached to your airbox to see if the oil was sucked up from the crankcase into the airbox.

i wouldn't call it a sight glass as its kind of like a plastic hose.

tnr4
May 22nd, 2013, 03:11 PM
Welp, up on stands for 15 mins, no change. Ran it again just to be sure, and no change. Guess it's time to take it by the dealer. :mad:

Alex
May 22nd, 2013, 03:13 PM
/moved to 300 tech

I'd call the dealership to find out what they typically use for 600 mile service on their Kawis. It's almost certainly 10/40, and either non-synth or a synth blend rather than full synth. Buy a quart of something similar to what they tell you, and fill up until it shows in the middle of that sight glass. (after being warm and then allowed to drain, while the bike is level).

Using a little bit of oil in between major services isn't a big deal, that's what the sight glass is there for.

old3
May 22nd, 2013, 03:13 PM
Some oil use is normal. That is why you should check it and why the sight glass is right there. :thumbup:

As to the brand, don't worry, it all mixes just fine, I've never heard of a brand that didn't. You are only a few ounces low, I'd buy a quart bottle of any JASO certified oil and just add a bit. Rotella T from Walmart, or most diesel oils in the correct grade are fine. Even viscosity isn't that important, you aren't going to hurt it by adding 20w-50 or 5w-30, or even 0w-40!!!

Again it just needs to be wet clutch safe. Avoid auto specific oil, but you don't need $20 a quart moto specific oil either.

lgk
May 22nd, 2013, 03:14 PM
did the oil pressure light ever come on?

tnr4
May 22nd, 2013, 03:17 PM
/moved to 300 tech

I'd call the dealership to find out what they typically use for 600 mile service on their Kawis. It's almost certainly 10/40, and either non-synth or a synth blend rather than full synth. Buy a quart of something similar to what they tell you, and fill up until it shows in the middle of that sight glass. (after being warm and then allowed to drain, while the bike is level).

Using a little bit of oil in between major services isn't a big deal, that's what the sight glass is there for.

Some oil use is normal. That is why you should check it and why the sight glass is right there. :thumbup:

As to the brand, don't worry, it all mixes just fine, I've never heard of a brand that didn't. You are only a few ounces low, I'd buy a quart bottle of any JASO certified oil and just add a bit. Rotella T from Walmart, or most diesel oils in the correct grade are fine. Even viscosity isn't that important, you aren't going to hurt it by adding 20w-50 or 5w-30, or even 0w-40!!!

Again it just needs to be wet clutch safe. Avoid auto specific oil, but you don't need $20 a quart moto specific oil either.

Thanks, guys! :thumbup: Looks like I might just take the morning off to run out to the local cycle shop.

did the oil pressure light ever come on?

Nope, never did. That's why I'm not panicked about it. I was just surprised to see it low, as neither of my ever bikes ever seemed to use any oil at all between services.

My girl is about to get quite the loving. Give her a little more oil to drink, gonna' throw on the sintered pads that came in the mail, and gonna' order some new rubber. And maybe, if she's REALLY good, I'll think about that shiny new AreaP and tuner later this summer. ;)

lgk
May 22nd, 2013, 03:21 PM
cool, id just fill it halfway, they could have just changed the oil/filter then filled it, with out adding and checking later.

old3
May 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Just remember, at the bike store the prices are elevated, although most of the stuff in the bottles is the same as sold elsewhere. I see $13-18 a quart prices at the dealerships, you can get the same oil in a different bottle for under $5. :eek:

Today I just bought a few quarts of Rotella T for about $4.23.

tnr4
May 22nd, 2013, 04:22 PM
cool, id just fill it halfway, they could have just changed the oil/filter then filled it, with out adding and checking later.

That's what I'm thinkin' too.

Just remember, at the bike store the prices are elevated, although most of the stuff in the bottles is the same as sold elsewhere. I see $13-18 a quart prices at the dealerships, you can get the same oil in a different bottle for under $5. :eek:

Today I just bought a few quarts of Rotella T for about $4.23.

Woah! Thanks for the heads-up! :thumbup:

tnr4
May 23rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
So, new question: the bike does have a 7500mi oil change interval, right? I double-checked my manual, and unless I'm a total idiot, it doesn't say to change the oil between major services.

However, I called around today to see who was selling oil at reasonable prices, and talked to a guy at a well-liked local shop. When he heard why I wanted it, he said to just come on over, and he'd top me off for free. I thought it was a nice gesture, so I headed over. He came in after adding the oil, and said, "Well, I topped you off, but I really wouldn't ride for long with what you've got in there -- your old oil is pretty disgusting." And as you saw in my pic, it was totally black. So he asked me how long since I last changed it, and I said about 5000mi. His eyes got real big, and he said he would never go more than 2000mi on a small bike like that, riding in the city, without an oil change. When I told him that it was what the manual said (again: unless I'm an idiot), he was amazed.

Anyway, since I don't have a garage, I went ahead and had him change the oil. But what do you guys think? Is the 7500 mile interval too long? When do you change yours? Maybe once, midway through?

Yup -- feelin' like a total noob. :o

Alex
May 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
You'll get opinions all over the map. Having the oil look black doesn't mean it's not protecting the engine. Some types of oils in some engines look that way after 500 miles.

I wouldn't go longer than the kawi recommended intervals. But I don't go much shorter either. Damage starts getting probable if the oil is run low. If the oil level is kept within spec, and it's changed as per the manual, there's no need to stress about it.

old3
May 23rd, 2013, 04:24 PM
2-4k miles on a street bike depending on how I'm using it. :thumbup:

tnr4
May 23rd, 2013, 06:37 PM
You'll get opinions all over the map. Having the oil look black doesn't mean it's not protecting the engine. Some types of oils in some engines look that way after 500 miles.

I wouldn't go longer than the kawi recommended intervals. But I don't go much shorter either. Damage starts getting probable if the oil is run low. If the oil level is kept within spec, and it's changed as per the manual, there's no need to stress about it.

2-4k miles on a street bike depending on how I'm using it. :thumbup:

Thanks! :)

Xtina
June 11th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I noticed after doing my first oil change the oil doesn't really come into the sight glass so well. I put in an extra 100ml then the 2.2L the manual says but after a few hundred km it's low in the sight again. I can't imagine it eating oil like this.

lgk
June 11th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Are you measuring the oil while on stands?

My 250 doesnt eat any oil, and i never had to top off.

Xtina
June 12th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Are you measuring the oil while on stands?

My 250 doesnt eat any oil, and i never had to top off.

It's on the ground and veritcal.

lgk
June 12th, 2013, 06:20 AM
It's on the ground and veritcal.

try to use stands next time, it makes the reading much more consistent.
it doesnt take much angle to make the bike look like it low in oil.

Xtina
June 12th, 2013, 11:34 AM
try to use stands next time, it makes the reading much more consistent.
it doesnt take much angle to make the bike look like it low in oil.

That just seems ass backwards. All the bikes I've had with sights are suppose to be done with the bike on the ground stood up straight.

lgk
June 12th, 2013, 11:52 AM
That just seems ass backwards. All the bikes I've had with sights are suppose to be done with the bike on the ground stood up straight.

just going by experience.
when i stand my bike upright, the oil level is lower than when i use both stands.

when i change my oil i use stands, and the amount i put in is pretty consistent.

or maybe i suck at standing my bike up right, lol.

Xtina
June 12th, 2013, 12:40 PM
just going by experience.
when i stand my bike upright, the oil level is lower than when i use both stands.

when i change my oil i use stands, and the amount i put in is pretty consistent.

or maybe i suck at standing my bike up right, lol.

Lol ok.

Alex
June 12th, 2013, 01:29 PM
The service manual recommends checking the oil with both wheels on the ground, bike stood up as vertical as possible. That said, it's often easier to check it and be consistent about it when it's on front/rear stands. Like LGK, I believe that does make the oil sit somewhat higher in the sight glass, but not a huge amount. As long as the level can be seen in the sight glass, the bike isn't at risk for having so much less or so much more oil than recommended to cause any concern.

rojoracing53
June 12th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I place my bike in the rear stand and then use my front stand to lift the front wheel, then I slide a wood block under the front tire and remove the stand. The block keeps my front a rear tires of the ground the same amount and the stand keeps anything from moving. If your front stand already holds the front wheel up off the ground the same as the rear then just use both stands.

During your oil change you are starting the bike for a minute to prime the new oil through system then waiting a few minutes to then check the oil level right?

krolinked
June 13th, 2013, 05:04 PM
SOunds like he talked you into an oil change!

You went from a free top-off to paying for a complete oil change lol.

Xtina
June 14th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Ok, so I've been checking the oil after it runs for a bit. I looked at it again without turning it on first and it reads properly now.