View Full Version : Alternative GPS mounting

headshrink
February 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to mount a GPS without using a RAM or other handlebar mounted bracket. I would like to mount one above the gauge cluster to keep it in the same field of vision. I don't like looking down at my bars. I haven't purchased a GPS yet, so I'm not committed to a particular model.

TnNinjaGirl
February 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I have a TOMTOM One XL and have the suction cup attached to my speedometer. It's got a speedo on it and my stock one is so far off I usually don't use it anyways. I have the power hard wired to the bike. It works really well. I just take it off and put it in my helmet with my gloves when I go to a store or someone's house or whatever.

headshrink
February 14th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I was considering velcroing to top of dash..... I MAY need to get a db for clearance, but not sure about that. I know the spedo is off, but I like to see all my gauges.... psychological factor a guess.

NJD022588
February 15th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I have a TOMTOM One XL and have the suction cup attached to my speedometer.

Smart idea! What are the chances of it being knocked loose from vibrations or bumps? Or is so strong that it wouldnt happen?

TnNinjaGirl
February 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM
So far so good. I'm sure if God decided to have a random act happen it'd get knocked off. From day to day it seems to do just fine. I know I wouldn't be able to find my way to the kitchen if it weren't for that GPS. Also, I can use it with my gloves on. Yay!!

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM
CB,

3m makes a product called Dual Lock that is much stronger than Velcro. I hung my radar detector from the windshield in my car with this stuff. Never, ever budged. The adhesive they use on the back is very strong and the connection mechanism between the pieces are more like small lego than the hook and loop stuff of Velcro. Highly recommend it for expensive pieces of gear. Velcro adhesive has a nasty tendency to loosen up when the temperatures rise. I used to use industrial strength Velcro to mount all my detectors, but now use nothing but this Dual Lock stuff. :thumbup:

I got mine off eBay.

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/superlock.htm

00v_Lucky
February 15th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Does anyone have a gps or touch the tak and make it digital yet?

NJD022588
February 15th, 2009, 07:55 PM
CB,

3m makes a product called Dual Lock that is much stronger than Velcro. I hung my radar detector from the windshield in my car with this stuff. Never, ever budged. The adhesive they use on the back is very strong and the connection mechanism between the pieces are more like small lego than the hook and loop stuff of Velcro. Highly recommend it for expensive pieces of gear. Velcro adhesive has a nasty tendency to loosen up when the temperatures rise. I used to use industrial strength Velcro to mount all my detectors, but now use nothing but this Dual Lock stuff. :thumbup:

I got mine off eBay.

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/superlock.htm

Very cool. Is this what you used to mount your temp guage? How does it hold up if you are going to use it on something like a GPS where you may attach and detach on every ride?

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
it comes apart like Velcro. You just need to tug a bit harder. I don't know about holding up under repeated use, but I would imagine it would. This stuff is a tough plastic/nylon material. I originally saw this when people were mounting GPS receivers in their cars. What makes this product special is the adhesive tape backing they use. It is strong!

I used Velcro for the temp gauge as it weighs next to nothing.

TnNinjaGirl
February 15th, 2009, 08:56 PM
But I don't want to use nasty sticky stuff...

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Why not? it comes off cleaner than the velcro adhesive... just need to work on the dual lock a bit harder to remove it.