View Full Version : My latest Mod - Rim tape!

Scorpielle
February 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM
As I wait for the spring to come, there is time to do some personalization!

So here is my little Baby Ninjette, next to my Husband's KTM, which makes it look even smaller than it already is LOL!
My only consolation is that it dwarfs his sportbike too.

Both the KTM and my Ninjette got new stripes.

So here's the regular view:

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/Scorpielle/DSCN0901.jpg

And here is the super Glowing Look in the flash:

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/Scorpielle/DSCN0900.jpg

What else do you do on Feb14th besides work in the garage on you bike! LOL :D

kkim
February 14th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Did you each do your own? Great contest to see who has the steadier hand. Bikes do look great with them on. :thumbup:

That's your garage?? :D

noche_caliente
February 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Nice job Elle! I especially like the color you chose :)

Scorpielle
February 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks! Yup that's our garage,, the "workshop" ,since no regular cars have ever been in it. We did have an old Austin Mini a few years ago, it took up the back 1/2 lol
But now it's just for the bikes and the work bench.
I picked the Blue cause it would work with my leathers too, (black/white/blue) it really pops though, i like it. :D

(and no I left the application to the expert, my husband, since he's put it on a few bikes in the past as well, I didn't want to have it wobbling all over the place if I tried it LOL )

Here's everyone back in order again, put away for the night:

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/Scorpielle/wr.jpg

jpnfrk
February 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I brought some of those too and as any good DIY gurl I'm installing them myself (though I must confess I don't have the steadiest hands either, LOL)!! :D

Did you by any chance notice how long it took your husband to put the rim tape on your ninja?

Scorpielle
February 14th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I brought some of those too and as any good DIY gurl I'm installing them myself (though I must confess I don't have the steadiest hands either, LOL)!! :D

Did you by any chance notice how long it took your husband to put the rim tape on your ninja?

Well it was a team effort, I cut them apart as they came on 1 large sheet and he put them on,, so I'd say for the 4 sides... hmmm an hour the most,, just depends how steady your hand is and how quickly you stick it on, but just a warning, clean your rims with rubbing alcohol and once you stick it on you can't peel and re-position. Have fun and post pics!

jpnfrk
February 14th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the help! I'll get the rubbing alcohol next time I go to the store. My wheels are stock aluminum color right now, I think the rim tape (reflective magenta) will look better on a black rim though.

For now I'm debating whether to DIY the paint job or take it to a pro... :noidea:

kkim
February 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM
how long do you anticipate keeping the bike? If a long time, take it to a pro and have them powdercoated.

Elle- Are you sure it was rubbing alcohol and not isopropyl alcohol?

jpnfrk
February 14th, 2009, 09:36 PM
kkim, I anticipate keeping Itoshii for as long as I humanly can... no intentions to "upgrade" to a bigger bike.

Any idea how much for powdercoating the rims?

kkim
February 14th, 2009, 09:55 PM
It depends on your area, but forum member Beast had his done for about $600 in California, if I remember correctly. You can PM him and ask to get an accurate amount.

jpnfrk
February 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
$600!!?!?!?! :eek:

I guess I'll shop around diff paint shops for estimates and cross my fingers it won't be that expensive.

I did see some paint made for car engines (heat resistant and all that jazz), shouldn't that hold up?

kkim
February 14th, 2009, 10:16 PM
It should, but powercoating is usually more durable than paint. Check around your area for both and see what they quote you.

Your silver rims are looking better and better, aren't they? ;)

CRXTrek
February 15th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I asked about this also. Got quoted $100 a wheel and they would strip off the old paint and power coat them.
But you need to replace the bearings and add in the labor to take off the tires and remount them.

Scorpielle
February 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM
how long do you anticipate keeping the bike? If a long time, take it to a pro and have them powdercoated.

Elle- Are you sure it was rubbing alcohol and not isopropyl alcohol?

Hmmm... rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I understood rubbing alcohol was 70% isopropyl and 30% water with oils mixed in for use when rubbing. I have found a few that says they contain oil online, but most just list 70/30 alcohol/water. It seems I was mistaken that all rubbing alcohols contain oil.

My point being, if you used a rubbing alcohol that contained oil you could be putting something with a lubricant in it to clean the rim making the rim tape not stick as well. I usually use 99% pure isopropyl alcohol when I want to clean things of oil and grease before application.

noche_caliente
February 15th, 2009, 10:40 PM
everclear would work just fine too ;) 200 proof ethanol, and God knows, you wouldn't want to actually drink the stuff!

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
we used to have Everclear at work to clean the tape recorder heads back in the days when we were using tape to store data. nothing else would do as it was speced for the heads we were using at the time. stuff tastes terrible, but packs a wallop!! :D

CRXTrek
February 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Everclear is 95% alcohol...190 Proof

I've drank far to much in my youth :o

BlueTyke
February 16th, 2009, 07:51 AM
What is the width of the tape you used? I found some at a local bike shop for $11.99 and wouldn't mind putting some on Tyke... Just not sure what size would be best.

jpnfrk
February 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM
What is the width of the tape you used? I found some at a local bike shop for $11.99 and wouldn't mind putting some on Tyke... Just not sure what size would be best.

Is it the reflective sort?

BlueTyke
February 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Looked like it.. According to their website.. Yes

http://www.petescycle.com/eshopprod_cat_4107-41269-30293_product_531026_keyword_Tape.PROGRIP174_WHEEL_TAPE.htm

In store it was cheaper...

jpnfrk
February 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Nice!! I feel ripped off, I paid around $22 :(

Oh well!! The one I got is 5' long and 3/8" wide and should look like this when installed:
http://www.tapeworks.com/Rimstripes/6146.jpg

komohana
February 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM
everclear would work just fine too ;) 200 proof ethanol, and God knows, you wouldn't want to actually drink the stuff!

:eek:
did you say EVERCLEAR?!?
:puke:

:redface:
sorry...had me a not-so-clear ever clear flash back...

:happy30:

miks
February 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM
:eek:
did you say EVERCLEAR?!?
:puke:

:redface:
sorry...had me a not-so-clear ever clear flash back...

:happy30:

What happened if you don't mind me asking?

komohana
February 17th, 2009, 05:28 AM
the year was 1982, the place, zaragosa air base, spain.

we were t.d.y. there from germany, getting our F-4 jocks some sorties on the bomb range and we had us a little weekend mojo session. you know mojo yes?...take a cooler, the bigger the better...and make this potent alcoholic and fruit drink mixture...add a little ice w/the sliced fruit and everclear firewater...top it all off with these long-ass straws made out of oil sample tubes and commence ta getting stupid...!

i knew we was in trouble when someone tripped and broke the fall with his face...the rest is kinda fuzzy... :faint:

GreezMunky
February 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM
the year was 1982, the place, zaragosa air base, spain.

Oh jeez, and that's how all good TDY stories start..

miks
February 18th, 2009, 02:24 AM
i knew we was in trouble when someone tripped and broke the fall with his face...the rest is kinda fuzzy... :faint:

Didn't the fella have hands? :p

meegari
February 28th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hi Scorpielle, I also live in canada, where did you buy your rim stripes?

Scorpielle
March 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hi Scorpielle, I also live in canada, where did you buy your rim stripes?

Actually , got them on Ebay, I'll try and find the username I bought them from for you. :D

meegari
March 2nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
thanks Scorpielle, that would be great, just awaiting delivery of an 09 candy thunder blue, i'm thinking it will match the color pretty close.

Scorpielle
March 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Here is the Ebay sellerhttp://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/elite_vinyl_designs/:

muffinman
March 4th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Looks great... definitely stands out. On black bikes, I'm only used to seeing Time Attack (red) stripes

Strider
March 12th, 2009, 05:41 PM
LOL, I got Red ;)

Sound Wave
March 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Looks great... definitely stands out. On black bikes, I'm only used to seeing Time Attack (red) stripes
hey, what's wrong with a black bike and red stripes? :p

but that is the good thing about a black bike. black goes well with almost anything.