View Full Version : How Many Can Pull A Tight U-Turn?

Purspeed
February 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
...on your bike?

kkim
February 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
how tight? "the box" at MSF?

CRXTrek
February 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Not so much with gloves and my sv clp-ons, unless with a little rear brake ;)

Purspeed
February 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
how tight? "the box" at MSF?

I'm not sure how tight "the box" would be, so I wrote in the 18 and 24 foot diameters for reference.

Lane width is roughly 12ft, so it's like going from the outside of the lane (when pulling a U-turn) to the outside of the number 1 lane upon exiting the U-turn (for the 24ft diameter).

Alex
February 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I can do full-lock turns pretty easily on the ninjette. It's a little more challenging on the RT, and it's quite challenging on the 10R. Some of the differences are due to weight, but steering geometry plays a big part as well. Some people recommend using the rear brake to control the bike during these, but personally I don't use that technique and typically stay off the brakes altogether.

kkim
February 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I always use the rear brake to balance the slipping clutch.

Purspeed
February 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM

I keep the bike in the "friction zone" by modulating the rear brake and keeping the RPM's around twice idle.

By using the rear brake, the bike behaves like it would if it were going much faster. So, you can pull much tighter turns.

It's a California Highway Patrol trick (along with "the dip") :thumbup:

CRXTrek
February 14th, 2009, 06:17 PM
VuQ1i1W0I2s

g21-30
February 14th, 2009, 07:36 PM
b2fGYU1CNb0&

OldGuy
February 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM
The MSF Box is 20 x 60. Did it, did it practicing on the '01 250, need some clean parking lots to try it on the new one (and a big inflatable mattress just in case)

http://www.msf-usa.org/MSTS/PDFs/BRC_Color_Range_Layout.pdf

TnNinjaGirl
February 14th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I usually just do a stoppie and turn it around on a dime. That wasn't an option though, and I'm sure not everyone has that mad of skillz. Pity... ;)

Nemy
February 14th, 2009, 08:21 PM

ditto. No problems with the old-gen. Haven't done a uey on a new-gen yet though...

kkim
February 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
most bikes are basically the same. it's all about getting used to where the friction zone is for each individual bike. slight adjustments with the clutch lever adjuster really helps to what you are used to when going from bike to bike. :thumbup:

NJD022588
February 14th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I usually just do a stoppie and turn it around on a dime. That wasn't an option though, and I'm sure not everyone has that mad of skillz. Pity... ;)

lol i was wondering why that wasnt an option ;)

I havent measured my u-turns, but i know i've gotten much better as time has gone by. I can almost do a full-lock turn but am always ready to put down a foot if needed.

00v_Lucky
February 14th, 2009, 08:46 PM
you guys have it all wrong, downshift from 6 all the way to 1st as fast as you can, burnout 'till about 180 degrees =]

darkknight49
February 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I just started riding about a month ago and I was horrible at U turns on that Elim 125 at the MSF course. On the Ninja tho, it's really easy. I can get it within 20 ft no prob.

Sound Wave
February 14th, 2009, 10:17 PM
that is the only thing i failed in the msf course. i have gotten better, but i still think i would fail the MSF box. i have watched a few how-to videos without success.

as far as what my turning diameter is now? i don't know.

ninjabrewer
February 15th, 2009, 12:43 AM
To get on the onpost cert. we had to do the MSF riding test on our own bike. After I had practiced it for 45 minutes, and figured out (remembered?) the friction zone and ride it in 2nd gear, it wasn't difficult, esp after I remembered (reminded) to look at the far corner and the bike will go in that direction.

The riders with bigger bikes got to use a bigger box, mine was the small one.
Not sure what the size was, someone said 20.

nb

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 12:44 AM
why 2nd gear?

ninjabrewer
February 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM
why 2nd gear?

At the time, and I still am rough, I didn't have very good throttle control and for me it was easier to ride it 2nd. In 1st, I was surging all over the place.

nb

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 01:07 AM
surging or driveline snatch? in first, try holding the revs steady between 2-3k, drag the rear brake while letting out the clutch to the friction point to control the forward speed of the bike. more/less pressure of the rear brake controls your speed. on dirt bikes you can come to an almost complete stop while doing this while not putting your feet down. works out great for street bikes to let the bike go slower than first gear allows otherwise.

the steady throttle position takes care of the surging and dragging the brake takes out the driveline snatch.

also, to help cure the surging, shim your needles for smoother throttle control at the lower revs. :)

g21-30
February 15th, 2009, 09:14 AM
The "Alternate MOST", which 29 states use for the vehicle skills test, has a "Box" width of 24' for 500 cc and above and 20' for under 500 cc. In the MSF class, practice is with the 24' box, while the final skills test is with a 20' box.

If you wish to practice the U-Turn, go to a large (empty) commercial parking lot. The standard parking space is 8 1/2' wide, so 3 spaces is 25 1/2', while 2 spaces is 17'. Every few weeks, I practice in an empty lot and have gotten to where I can do the U-turn in 17' (2 spaces). You must force yourself to look way behind in the direction you wish to turn.

The Capt Crash U-turn video covers all the above. Good Luck :D

noche_caliente
February 15th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Don, if you're really worried about her when you practice it, you can always do it street-fighter style with the plastics off...

aloh
February 16th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Those tight u-turns are tricky. Half the time i could make the Uturn in the box just fine, but sometimes i would be about 3-6 inches out from it.

The absolute BEST advice i could give is to TURN YOUR HEAD!!! This helped me alot.

talldrink
February 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
+1 to darkknight49 & ninjabrewer

Angel-be-Good
February 16th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Not sure how tight I'm capable of turning, but I pull u-turns every day in my parking garage so I can swing the bike around and park it behind my car. I'd guess it's about 25 feet wide between parking stalls?

OldGuy
February 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Don, if you're really worried about her when you practice it, you can always do it street-fighter style with the plastics off...

I like that idea - I'll bet that would look wicked to - hmmmmm

kkim
February 16th, 2009, 07:45 PM
if you think plastics are expensive, consider the cost of a new tank or engine case parts. :p

best way... don't drop the bike!!! :D

running around naked does have its disadvantages... wait, that didn't sound right!!! :police1:

NJD022588
February 16th, 2009, 08:25 PM
running around naked does have its disadvantages

Nonsense!

kkim
February 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Nonsense!

... and who advised you of that??? your lawyer or your probation officer? :lol:

TheDuck
February 23rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
I can turn my raked out chopper around in a residental back street just barely. The little 250 I can turn around in a parking spot, lol. Lean that little thing WAAAAAAAAAY over but keep your body straight up!

g21-30
March 20th, 2009, 04:40 AM
in2tJm1D1bM

Joey250rider
September 5th, 2009, 02:50 AM
dude i have an 02 ninja and i can pull a u'y without going outside of a lane its not to hard to push these little guys around in a circle

tylernt
September 5th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Practice U-turns both ways! I got good at doing them to the left, full lock even. Then the Idaho skills test administrator had everyone do them to the RIGHT that day. Let's just say... I failed that part (still passed overall, though).

andrewexd
September 5th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I can do it but I cant fully flat foot so I go wider than necessary.

edwinmcq
September 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I found three things that really helped:

1) Using 2nd gear
2) Using Rear brake
3) Balancing on balls of feet (I think I read that in Keith Code's book and it really works)

Also, watch the "Ride like a Pro Videos" and doing the exercises, living in downtown DC and parking in a very tight underground fallout shelter converted to garage.

Sailariel
September 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
20 Feet is no problem. Just finished the advanced course--a real good time. Had the smallest bike there but was told it was the snappiest on the course. There was no doubt in anybody`s mind that the Ninjette really handles. I let the instructor ride the bike and he definitely raised some eyebrows. Bigger is not always better. He plans to buy a Ninjette after that ride. Told him he should definitely join our family. He could give us some good insight.

Nickds7
September 5th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I can now do it in <18ft. I failed the msf u-turn box (but not the class!). I used to be scared of getting it down. This morning I scraped a foot going 25 maybe.. :)

I still feel somewhat uncomfortable doing a tight u-turn with a passenger, unless it is with my 105 pound asian "friend"

Snake
November 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I can now do it in <18ft. I failed the msf u-turn box (but not the class!). I used to be scared of getting it down. This morning I scraped a foot going 25 maybe.. :)

I still feel somewhat uncomfortable doing a tight u-turn with a passenger, unless it is with my 105 pound asian "friend"

As I don't ever ride 2up I don't know if I have the same skills with a passenger on board

LawlessLogic
December 29th, 2011, 01:11 PM
What are some opinions on counter-leaning in the U-turn? I've noticed that as I initiate the turn, it feels more under control when I counter lean; but when I execute the full maneuver, I shift from leaning outside to inside of it, coming back upright as I make my exit.

Alex
December 29th, 2011, 01:14 PM
/moved to Riding Skills area

alex.s
December 29th, 2011, 01:40 PM
for super slow speed super tight u-turns (... i seem to only ever do left u-turns) i find myself full lock with throttle and some rear brake, then i seem to always wind up leaning to the outside pushing the bike down a little further... i usually have my inside foot off the peg just in case i screw something up... :2cents:

Flying Pig
December 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM
What are some opinions on counter-leaning in the U-turn? I've noticed that as I initiate the turn, it feels more under control when I counter lean; but when I execute the full maneuver, I shift from leaning outside to inside of it, coming back upright as I make my exit.

You can get tighter turns by counter-leaning, or at least in my mind you can :D

Here's a good way to practice your u-turns since it makes you practice both left and right turns. :thumbup:
I got it from here (http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113849).

nt28gpI-RkE

KawiKid860
December 29th, 2011, 03:16 PM
woah dead thread revival. Anyways, not entirely sure what you mean by counter leaning, but keeping your body upright and leaning the bike over makes it easier (probably what you are referring to) I think the most important thing is to just look where you want to go. I can easily do U-turns in around 15 feet or less, with a mixture of clutch, throttle and rear brake control. With my girlfriend on the back we could get them around 25 feet, then when I told her to turn her head all the way around and look to where she thinks we will be going like I was doing, we got them under 20 feet, which is the msf box. (using parking spaces that are 10 feet wide). I think for your transition from leaning outside to inside is just natural, because as you accelerate out of the u-turn the bike wants to stand up

LawlessLogic
December 29th, 2011, 04:21 PM
woah dead thread revival. Anyways, not entirely sure what you mean by counter leaning, but keeping your body upright and leaning the bike over makes it easier (probably what you are referring to) I think the most important thing is to just look where you want to go. I can easily do U-turns in around 15 feet or less, with a mixture of clutch, throttle and rear brake control. With my girlfriend on the back we could get them around 25 feet, then when I told her to turn her head all the way around and look to where she thinks we will be going like I was doing, we got them under 20 feet, which is the msf box. (using parking spaces that are 10 feet wide). I think for your transition from leaning outside to inside is just natural, because as you accelerate out of the u-turn the bike wants to stand up

I agree with that last part. Curious to know if it's a common experience. Also, "counter-leaning" can be described as trying to stay more upright during the turn (body weight counter to the turn) in this scenario. I'm about to go out for a round of u-turns and stops in a bit here.:)

ally99
December 30th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Definitely counter lean when doing a tight U-turn. Weight the outside peg, pushing the bike up under you. Use a little rear brake if you need to, though I only find it necessary if I'm pulling a U-ey on a slight hill.

Soujyu
January 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
I can easily do the 20' box (with several feet to spare) as long as I keep it in second gear.

(I was doing the advanced MSF rider course, and the only other student was a guy riding a Harley V-Rod. He easily cleared it as well.)

duckracer
January 4th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I found it easy to do u turns on the 250, but I also ride a Ducati 1098 and that thing is hard to do a u turn on a football field!!!!!!!!!!!

Racer x
September 15th, 2012, 03:58 AM
After I took the Lee Parks Total Control class. I was much better at u turns. I practice with scooters when I worked in a motorcycle shop. Now I can do figure eights and circles upturns are still tough. And the bigger the bike the harder I find it. Keep practicing.

Motofool
September 15th, 2012, 09:38 AM
.....Now I can do figure eights and circles upturns are still tough. And the bigger the bike the harder I find it. ...

A combination of vision and rear brake application during the turns can do marvelous things.

"The Moto Gymkhana course is made up of a series of points and you ride the course by going in the shortest possible distance from point to point. Rather than waiting for the next point to come into view, the skilled Moto Gymkhana rider 'snaps' their head towards the next point as soon as they possibly can. They then use their tunnel (foveal) vision for direction and their peripheral vision for location so they know exactly where they are going and exactly where they are on the course.

This head snap technique is perfectly illustarted by Momoko Tsukihara on her Kawasaki ZRX1200R at a recent competition in Japan
wach the rapidity of her head movements and see that she gets her nose pointing where she wants to go at the optimum moments in the attack.

By practicing this technique, riders will find that they turn much faster and easier and have a much better sense of location than they ever did before."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-wfVjpGZlY&feature=player_embedded

o-wfVjpGZlY

Racer x
September 15th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I would like to try that on my old Aprilia sr50.

miss_syn
September 15th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I can do it on the MSF Rebel but I don't want to try it on my Ninjette. :(

dirty nasty
September 15th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I can, but I'm horrible at low speed maneuvers and everything looks sketchy. I never saw the need to practice them. All my riding is high speed.

boyracerprobs

Mountain Dew
September 15th, 2012, 03:15 PM
If I know the road doesn't have gravel on it, I can pull as tight of a u-turn as my center stand (left) and exhaust (right) will let me. I know this because I've had pucker moments on each side doing tight turns. If I'm unsure about the road condition, I can still lean pretty far over, but I feel less confident about it.

MotoXGirl
September 17th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Less then 18' for me.

Motofool
September 17th, 2012, 04:23 PM
It seems to be easier with a GSX-R1000 :)

No hands after 0:30

Cue-DMQHWSk

cuong-nutz
September 17th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Nice video, he looks like a cat playing around.

Motofool
May 24th, 2014, 04:17 PM

90BxTrAADi4

CC Cowboy
May 24th, 2014, 04:24 PM

It's a known fact, outside this forum, the GSXR1000 is the best in the corners (even tight ones).

cbinker
May 24th, 2014, 07:53 PM
never measured a u-turn before, but i know i can pull one smaller then the width of 2 lanes of traffic.

Singh2jz
May 31st, 2014, 04:29 PM
90BxTrAADi4

That would have been cool if they threw him a book or something and started reading it. lol

ally99
June 9th, 2014, 05:06 PM
90BxTrAADi4

Regardless of what's under that gear, that dude is hot! DAMN! How cool! I ride no-hands on my bicycle around turns all the time, but that right there is simply admirable!