View Full Version : Good Picture / Album hosts?

Gregular
February 15th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Ummmmm, can anyone recommend some good sites for hosting piccies.
Gonna have a fair few pics to upload for the DIYs and I don't think the forum album is gonna cut it - Got 49 pics in that already and if I'm to do a DIY justice (kkim style :thumbup:) I'm gonna need alot of pics

I'd rather not pay a fee as its just gonna be for these DIYs (I have my own offline system for backing up private stuff)

Any help? :)

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 01:18 PM
lol... host them here. Go up to "community" and in the drop down menu you can open your own album/s. :D

Alex
February 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM
You can create any number of albums here, and put 100 pics in each one of them, so you aren't likely to run out of space just for DIY's.

But if you want a full-featured picture host, I'm partial to www.smugmug.com. Great service, great features (we use it here on ninjette.org), and the owners/founders happen to be avid motorcyclists right here in the bay area.

Gregular
February 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Lol, don't I feel silly. I thought it was a 100 max and thats your lot, no more. :doh:

This forum rules! :allhail:

Cheers guys :D

noche_caliente
February 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Picasa by google is nice too - has a great mini-photo editor in it that is pretty capable, helps you organize them on your computer, and is rather intuitive to use...

BlueTyke
February 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM
photobucket is what I use...

I tried Picasa but that wanted to scan over EVERY picture I had on my computer and just pissed me off because it did it EVERY time I opened it and at that point it was really annoying because I have a lot of pictures! But that could just be the download app that they have.

jpnfrk
February 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I use photobucket as well... never had any problems there and must have a gazillion pics up there for free... :lol:

Alex
February 16th, 2009, 12:45 PM
One thing that I like about www.smugmug.com is that you can make the original photos available to people. Most of the free sites limit the max size of the pic someone can download (which is fine; they're free, after all). But with smugmug, if I upload 100 10-megapixel 4+ megabyte pictures, if I allow it on the gallery anyone can go right to that gallery and download the full-res 10-megapixel pictures. Without having to sign up for an ID, manage passwords, etc. It's pretty slick. Also, there are no download/bandwidth limits. Even on this site, if you look at some of the older threads, you'll see a number of photobucket pics with "bandwidth exceeded" on them, so you don't see the pic, just an error message. Again, I have no problem with them doing that, it's free. But the paid sites can offer a much higher level of service.

aloh
February 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Ive been using photobucket for years.