View Full Version : Gas Mileage- Is your a Sipper or iz it Sooopazz, yo!!

Pages : [1] 2

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM
What average gas mileage are you getting out of your Ninja 250? Not the best... not the worst you've ever gotten. What is the average you've seen with your bike?

I know with mods the MPG seems to drop some, so if you have a heavily modded bike, you might want to post some comments in this thread to splain' yourself! :D

ninjabrewer
February 15th, 2009, 01:40 PM
60's, Low 60 , High 69 :rolleyes:

Engine/exhaust all stock, no shims (yet)

nb

CRXTrek
February 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Stock avg 53 mpg
Dynojet and Area P avg 50 mpg
Always near the rev limiter : )

But if i worried about mpg ... i'd be riding a 50cc scooter

Purspeed
February 15th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I would say roughly in the 30's. I keep my Ninjette in tip top condition, but I do enjoy that red line...:)

Alex
February 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I'd suggest putting some information in this thread about how to accurately calculate your gas mileage.

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 02:16 PM
thanks for adding the poll, Alex. :thumbup:

to accurately calculate gas mileage-

1) fill tank to the top

2) zero trip meter

3) at the next fillup, fill to the same fill mark as you did previously

4) check your trip meter mileage reading

5) divide the number of miles from your trip meter by the number of gallons you just filled into our bike and that will give you miles/gallon

I usually write down the trip meter reading on the sales receipt form buying the gas. You'll have the miles and gallons on that piece of paper to calculate later. Reset you trip meter and you're ready to do it all over the next time you fill the tank. :)

check your MPG at least a couple of times to get a good idea of what your average mileage is. There can be one time readings that are way high or low, depending on where the error was made, if any.

Alex
February 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
What, no DIY with pictures? :D

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
smart :asshat:

NJD022588
February 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM
My average is about 49-50mpg -- probably because I take so many rides that are less than 3 miles and the fact that I have a lead right hand

OldGuy
February 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
High 50's on the '01 and that has been just an 8 mile one-way city commute to work. Of course no clue on what the '09 will do.

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 04:26 PM
OG- it will be interesting to see what difference, if any, you get between the 2 bikes over the same commute. I'd guess the new bike will be more thirsty than the old gen.

Ramen
February 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Stock bike, 99% commuting, 55mpg.

Bill N
February 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I commute to work in the city. In 13 miles I have 13 stop lights. I've been averaging 62 MPG. I drive with traffic and short shift at about 5-6 thousand RPM. When I hit a long red light I shut it off as some of these light cycles are close to 3 minutes long.
Cheers Bill

ScraitT
February 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Mine jumps around between 35-45 depending how I ride. I always ride the bike hard, but sometimes it's ridden a little harder then other times. Pretty sad that I get almost the same MPG in my car as I do on the bike, but thene again I drive the two completely differently. I bought the bike for fun not mpgs!

TnNinjaGirl
February 15th, 2009, 05:15 PM
41-50 mixed driving through every tank. Stock gearing, 2 Bros slip on, snorkel removed, 2 shims, kleen air system removed. Shortly it'll have raised compression, a K&N filter and some jetting. We'll see how she does then.

Viper-Byte
February 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Mine is usually around the 60MPGs area, I can usually get 200+ miles out of a tank (atleast 320km) and I usually fill it with 14L.

I have got Full AreaP Long, Snorkel removed and needles shimmed 100 Dynojet jet kit on the list to be installed, just need to find time. :rolleyes: )

I am actually surprised at how high mine is considering most accelleration is WOT and shifting around 9-10krpm with the occasional red line. :D

MrTiddles
February 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I hit about 52 every time. Running AP exhaust, and jet kit. I think the uber-loud exhaust makes me drive slow.

Sailariel
February 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Running completely stock. Tyre pressure 28F--32R. Use Shell Middle Grade Gas. Milage averages around 64MPG. Wonder if changing to Synthetic Shell Rotella-T will increase MPG? I also factor in that I weigh 200lbs.

minizoom
February 15th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I'm getting around 52-56mpg. The highest I ever got was 59mpg. I stopped checking my mpg about three months ago though. Might be different now. Riding style: hard

My bike is pretty much stock except 15t counter sprocket, 140 tire in the rear, and clip-ons (recent).

aloh
February 16th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I have absolutely no idea. I have never gone under 1/4 tank in between fill ups. The bike is stock so im guessing im getting mileage in the upper 50s.

kkim
February 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM
did you read how to calculate your mpg in post #6? It doesn't matter if you go under 1/4 tank or not.

Nemy
February 16th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Best tracker is actually at mileagetracker.org.

My 06 averaged 57.6 mpg in 10,000 km last season with mostly sideroads and twisties (ie. 80-100km/h).

I'd definitely be interested to see how it compares with my 09 once it comes in - though I'm expecting less (heavier bike, more low-end power)

TonyKZ1
February 16th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Normally I get 65+, during the warmer months. Note this is on a 30 mile commute @ or around the posted speed limit, 55-60 mph. However during the cold winter months my gas mileage drops to around 60 or so, I guess due to the choke being on a little longer, the motor not getting as warm, the winter gasoline mixture. My best is 77mpg on the way home from my parent's house back during the summer. I've got my mileage, maintenance, etc. on the mileage tracker site.
Tony

travis5018
February 16th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I recently did a ride a 200+ mile commute on my 250, and I got 41mpg running at 11.5k - 12k the whole way soOoOoOo...... Im just assuming my normal mpg is higher then that lol

TonyKZ1
February 16th, 2009, 02:15 PM
11.5 -12k? All interstate at a high rate of speed? Or just not in fifth/sixth gear? I sure hope no speeding tickets or jail time was involved.
Tony

Nemy
February 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM
lol ya, if you were in 6th you'd be doing a nice number over the posted at 12k revs. I've never done more than 50k at constant 11-12k... not sure if she likes it too much at that range for any longer

Nemy
February 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM
My best is 77mpg on the way home from my parent's house back during the summer. I've got my mileage, maintenance, etc. on the mileage tracker site.
Tony

77?!?! :eek: when do you shift!??! i wanna get that mileage for commuting. Though, admittedly, I ride kinda hard.

Snake
February 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I average about 55 mpg

Suey250
February 16th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I've been averaging 52 mpg. I believe my high was 58 mpg when I was shifting @ around 4-5k rpm. I tend to shift around 7-8k rpm normally and 10-11k rpm on the freeway. :)

TonyKZ1
February 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
77?!?! :eek: when do you shift!??! i wanna get that mileage for commuting. Though, admittedly, I ride kinda hard.

I normally shift @ 6-7k rpm and then cruising at 60 mph is a little over 7k rpm. I wish I could get 77 mpg all the time but that doesn't happen very often. Right now I'm getting around 60 mpg or so. Looking forward to warmer weather. Oh if you check the mileage tracker link, you'll find my bike has almost 40k miles on it too and it shows when the maintenance was done, the gas mileage, etc. it's nice to keep track of your mileage, when you do maintenance/repair, and to show when it's needed again.
Tony

Lurkable
February 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Stock bike, 70% commuting, average 45mpg.

OldGuy
February 21st, 2009, 03:17 PM
it's nice to keep track of your mileage, when you do maintenance/repair, and to show when it's needed again.
Tony

Thanks for the link to the Mileage Tracker site.

djpharoah
February 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
I have an 07 250 - getting about 50-64mpg depending on my right hand and the temp outside. Stop and go really kills my mpg but then cruising and granny shifting helps alot too.

Broom
February 23rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
i just did the math from our weekend at the track. we were using about 1.5 gallons per hour of track time at an average of 60mph which equals about 60 miles distance traveled in that hour. that averages out to about 40mpg.

kkim
February 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
for track use, I'd say that's damned good!:thumbup:

Mista Bob
February 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
I average between mid 50's to mid 60's mpg on mine.

Alex
February 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Bob - is that using Imperial gallons or US gallons?

Mista Bob
February 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Jeez, good question. I can't remember which one I used when I calculated that couple months ago haha...
Pretty sure I used the larger one which is UK gallons correct?

00v_Lucky
February 23rd, 2009, 09:04 PM
jeez, so many of you guys spin your ninja pretty high. I usually shift around 6-8k and cruise at 50 which is around 6k. If i like to push my bike its around 9k.

kkim
February 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
they rev to redline for a reason. 9k is midrange.:D

Alex
February 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
Jeez, good question. I can't remember which one I used when I calculated that couple months ago haha...
Pretty sure I used the larger one which is UK gallons correct?

That's why I asked; your numbers seemed a little high for US gallons, but for UK gallons, that's right in line with the rest of us.

00v_Lucky
February 24th, 2009, 12:45 AM
they rev to redline for a reason. 9k is midrange.:D

so, if i shift at 9k all the time, wouldn't this burn up my oil faster?

kkim
February 24th, 2009, 12:47 AM
it might, but that's why you check the oil level in the sight window on a regular basis. why are you concerned about burning oil? :confused:

You're not harming the engine any by revving close to redline.

Viper-Byte
February 24th, 2009, 01:56 AM
jeez, so many of you guys spin your ninja pretty high. I usually shift around 6-8k and cruise at 50 which is around 6k. If i like to push my bike its around 9k. LOL, days that my bike doesn't get near the red line are days that will concern me :D I am usually shifting at 9-10krpm riding normally.

By reving it closer to the red line is not going to burn oil noticably faster IMO. Plus it is so easy to top up every now and then.

Cali619
February 24th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I average somewhere between 50-60 mpg for city and highway riding. I keep the rpms at 7k or higher 90% of the itme unless stopped at a light or in slower traffic.

kkim
February 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Howard,

I guess the lesson here is to shift when you feel the power feels "right" for you. Don't not shift at redline due to concerns of the oil being burnt, but I'm not saying to shift at redline at every shift. Use the shift point that seems appropriate for the circumstances. But, if you are not using 9k-redline, you are missing out on the most fun part of this bike's power. :D

BTW, how many miles on your bike? I'm an advocate of the "hard" break in method, but if your bike has less than 100 miles, I don't know if revving to redline is a good idea.

more importantly (at least to me, anyway) is... have you changed your oil? :)

Nemy
February 24th, 2009, 03:50 PM
But, if you are not using 9k-redline, you are missing out on the most fun part of this bike's power. :D

+1. IIRC, I read somewhere that the peak powerband for the 250 was somewhere around 11k rpm? With that knowledge, I don't think I've ever shifted less than 9k unless I was stuck in traffic (except breakin)... it's just too addictive hearing every little HP at work.

Broom
February 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
i revved the sh*t out of the 250 at the track last weekend... i think she liked it ;)

still feels like it wants to pull bouncing off the rev limiter.

Bill N
February 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM
+1. IIRC, I read somewhere that the peak powerband for the 250 was somewhere around 11k rpm? With that knowledge, I don't think I've ever shifted less than 9k unless I was stuck in traffic (except breakin)... it's just too addictive hearing every little HP at work.

Read my posts and you'll see I love my Ninjette so I'm not bitching about its capabilities.. But I have to admit that maxing out the bike on city streets does nothing for me. I'm actually imbarassed if I crank it up where it sounds like a screamer yet a BMW sedan is killing me. It sounds like I'm ringing the neck out of this bike yet the sedan is just moving out smartly ahead of me and loving it. Not so on my liter bikes where a mere twist of the throttle loses most street cars and the bike is not even stressed. Just my thoughts I love the bike for what it provides and plan to keep it a long time... thus my short shifting and excellent milage. :D
Cheers, Bill

Jane Honda
February 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Stock everything. I don't even have the fender eliminator kit.

I don't wring its little neck hard at all. I broke it in the way the manwell specified. I'm not hugely overweight.

Out on our day long rides, I laff at the boys when they have to stop at every gas station. I have to stop at about every third, just to make them feel better. I'm guessing I get high 60's. I haven't officially checked yet.

Broom
February 24th, 2009, 07:13 PM
when your gas light comes on, how many gallons does it take to fill it up, and any idea how much is actually left in the tank?

Jane Honda
February 24th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I've never paid much attention. I just use the gas gauge.

Next time, I will try and run it down to the light, then see how much it takes...

kazam58
February 24th, 2009, 07:35 PM
There's a gas light on this bike?!?!

Broom
February 24th, 2009, 07:44 PM
apparently not... i dunno, i dont' have a dash. :D

how much gas does it take when its reading empty?

kkim
February 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM
it depends on how "off" your gauge is on your bike. they are not very accurate at all.

tank capacity is 4.8 U.S. gal, if that helps.

kazam58
February 24th, 2009, 07:52 PM
lol, that's right, you have a track bike... Mine is pretty off I'd say, it shows that I'm running on fumes and I have 1.5 gal left....

Broom
February 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM
i saw that the manual stated 4.8 gallons, and that seemed like a lot to me. we were getting about an hour out of 1.5 gallons at the track, but others on 250's say that they have to fill up every 2 hours during endurance races... that math doesn't quite add up.

i was shooting to refuel at 2.5 hours, but they spooked us and we refueled more often than we should have i think.

kazam58
February 24th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I think the reserve tank is about 1.5 gal...probably why the gauge shows empty when I'm down to that much. Weird, though, for the reserve tank to be half as big as the "regular" tank...maybe it'd make more sense to me if I designed motorcycles.

noche_caliente
February 24th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Andy, we don't have reserve tanks - only the earlier gens have them

kazam58
February 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Alright...I am totally confused now, lol. I was dead certain my owner's manual said there was a reserve tank....

EDIT: I just checked my manual. I was dead wrong...hehe oops :o

kkim
February 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
it's a good thing you checked... you wouldn't want to be out of gas somewhere looking for the reserve position and finding out then you don't have one. :rant:

kazam58
February 24th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Well my fascination now is with how off the fuel gauge is. It's deceiving!

kkim
February 24th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Yessir... it is that! :D

Rely more on your trip meter and use the gas gauge as sort of a backup.

noche_caliente
February 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Yessir... it is that! :D

Rely more on your trip meter and use the gas gauge as sort of a backup.

If you don't believe Kelly, just ask Nick about it :D

kazam58
February 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM
^I'm sure there's a good story behind that

I usually just fill up when it hits empty, around 200 miles or so, which is usually something above 3 gal...plenty of gas to spare.

Jane Honda
February 24th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I don't let my tank go over 175 miles...

kkim
February 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
what does your gas gauge read at that point?

Jane Honda
February 25th, 2009, 12:09 AM
It's in the red.

NJD022588
February 25th, 2009, 12:09 AM
If you don't believe Kelly, just ask Nick about it :D

Yep! When I hit 200 miles on a tank, I didnt think I needed to worry. Then 216 came around and that was the end.

Now I know better. I havent gone more than 190 without filling up and I've concluded that when my gauge (cant speak for anyone else's so dont quote me) hits E, I have 1 gallon left.

Mine is pretty off I'd say, it shows that I'm running on fumes and I have 1.5 gal left....

I think, in part, this is done on purpose just like in a car. Some cars tell how much gas is left in the tank when the gauge reads empty. For example, in the RSX Type-S owners manual, it says there are 4 gallons left when the gas light comes on. Thats almost a third of what the whole tank holds!

kkim
February 25th, 2009, 12:24 AM
It's in the red.

and at that point, how many gallons does it take to fill it back up? :)

TonyKZ1
February 25th, 2009, 07:28 AM
You know, sometimes reading your messages about how much gas you use makes me hesitant about buying a '08+ as I usually switch to reserve in the 235-250 mile range (I don't have a gas gauge so I go by the tripmeter) and then later on the way home I'll stop to fill up and put in around 4 gallons.
But then I look at your bikes and smile as I think they look and run so good with the new updates, so maybe I'll get one anyhow..
Tony

Jane Honda
February 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM
and at that point, how many gallons does it take to fill it back up? :)

I've never really paid much attention. I haven't had to fill it up since October. The few times it got really low, the boyfriend was riding it. :o

I am really weird about letting any gas tank get too low. *slinks away*

Ramen
February 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Stock bike, 99% commuting, 55mpg.

BTW, more often than not, I crank up the rpms to around 9k when accelerating. I plan on short shifting and ducking behind the windshield at speed whenever possible.

I just filled up on the way home from work. The great experiment begins. I'll report back in about 1.5 weeks. :D

Ramen
March 10th, 2009, 02:39 PM
After action report:

190.6 miles later, I filled up with 3.123 gallons.

190.6/3.123 = ~61mpg - guess the website's right!

Comes out to a little over 3 cents a mile.

This is with a combination of short-shifting (6th gear at 40mph) and ducking by putting my chest on the gas tank. I've actually started to find that comfortable. This is also with engine braking. I think I'll continue to duck, but I've already opened her up to 12K+ on the tach. :D

Verus Cidere
March 11th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Mine screws with me I swear! I get around 55 average, but it's been as low as 40 (once or twice). My best was about 75 but that was almost all highway time. I have no idea how I pulled that off!

FroggyGreenInSD
March 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
My last tank I ran it until the needle hit the peg. :eek: Trip meter read 230 miles. Tank took 4.3 gallons. Always fill it up sitting on it, bike vertical, gas just touching the bottom of the filler neck.

OldGuy
March 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Not knowing how accurate the gas gauge was I did the first fill up since toping the bike off when I got it. Worked out to 54.49 mpg during the break in.

It will be interesting to see what it does with more miles.

OldGuy
April 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Second tank today and mileage was 52.23. Must have been a little harder on the throttle as I'm getting it broke in. Wonder what will happen when I start ringing it out to 10K on a frequent basis?

kkim
April 8th, 2009, 02:28 PM
miles per gallon goes down, but smiles per gallon goes up. :D

OldGuy
April 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Oh yea :cbrsmiley:

Viper-Byte
April 8th, 2009, 03:34 PM
miles per gallon goes down, but smiles per gallon goes up. :D Exactly what I was going to say! :D

SpyderGirl
April 8th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'm still on my first tank which was ruined by the MSF class where I sat around and idled forever.

dyeclan
April 9th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I had one magical tank that got 76. After that all most every tank has been 60-65. Granted, I don't see redline very often, I seem to be another midrange monkey.

g21-30
April 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM
After 800+ miles, I checked mine. With snorkel removed, dynojet needles and clips set on 3rd notch, factory 98 main jets, and factory exhaust....49.3 MPG. 200 SPG (smiles per gallon)

Nemy
April 12th, 2009, 07:50 PM
bleh, after 1200 kms the 09 is averaging only 43 mpg :( But was getting 57 with the 06 :( And I'm probably riding her less hard than I did with the pre-gen because of the lower power range. Crossing my fingers that this will all change after the 1500km magic break in point :rolleyes:

sometimesido
April 12th, 2009, 07:53 PM
so yea, for the first time I hit 45 mpg on one fill up on the way to the beach when I decided to do some "sprinting." Back up to 59~60 on the next fill up.

gizmogamez
April 14th, 2009, 09:37 AM
well I get 400km/tank on my 2000, so that's 4L/100km....or 58.80USmpg or 70.62UKmpg

SpyderGirl
April 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm still working through my first tank -- which was tainted by the constant idling at the MSF class -- however it appears that I'm looking at close the high 40's on my first tank. That's not too shabby for the break-in period if you ask me. I'm estimating close to the 60 MPG mark for the next tank.

I wish the Spyder got this kind of gas mileage. I average about 200 miles out of a 6.1 gallon tank with the Spyder, of course it's a 1 litre and has a wet weight close to 900lbs with the accessories only (no rider or passenger) and we frequently ride two-up on the Spyder, so I guess that's not TOO bad.

g21-30
April 26th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Previously, I had only calculated my gas mileage one time; however, that was via the bike odometer and that tank was 49.3 MPG. For my last tank, I kept 2 mileage records. The bike odometer and the GPS. The total miles differed by 10%. The resulting MPG (GPS) was 59.6, while the bike odometer calculation was 54.4.

For those of you relying on the bike odometer, I think it would be safe to say that you could add 10% to your calculated MPG and get a more accurate estimate of your MPG. :thumbup:

Mista Bob
April 26th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Almost forgot to post this.
Last tank of gas on my bike before I sold it...

60 MPG even, and that is US gallons.

For those of you relying on the bike odometer, I think it would be safe to say that you could add 10% to your calculated MPG and get a more accurate estimate of your MPG. :thumbup:

Well if that's the case...
I got 66 MPG. :eek:

wyckedflesh
April 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Stock bike, City driving, 32 mile commute one way-55mpg
Stock bike, Weekend Canyon Runs, 325 miles 49mpg

BlueRaven
April 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM
for those in canada and us here's a site i use to keep track of my gas mileage for my cage. u can convert it from miles/gallon or kilometer/liter.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

gizmogamez
April 29th, 2009, 07:32 AM
well I just went through my first tank of gas...or atleast according to the fuel guage I did... and I went 300km on 15.2L of fuel...so that's 46USMPG or 55UKMPG....not great, but I am in the break in still and constantly changing speed so I hope it gets much better.
I would like to see at least 50USMPG or more since my old bike got so much and didn't run as well...

tjkamper
May 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Stock, and I average 53. It seamed low, but I always warm it up really good and I am on the freeway almost all the time.

Apex
May 1st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Just filled up yesterday, 64mpg. On average I'm low to mid 60's.

Apex
May 1st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Stock, and I average 53. It seamed low, but I always warm it up really good and I am on the freeway almost all the time.
Most of my riding is freeway riding too.

capt_bugaloo
May 1st, 2009, 02:59 PM
I've noticed that the mileage on my 250r varies a LOT.
I usually ride in the city in stop-n-go traffic to commute. In this type of traffic I usually get about 45-48 MPG - which I consider very poor for a 250.
On the other hand, when I'm out on the open road and not dealing with lights or much traffic, the mileage is a much more respectable 58 MPG - quite a difference.

Apex
May 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
I've noticed that the mileage on my 250r varies a LOT.
I usually ride in the city in stop-n-go traffic to commute. In this type of traffic I usually get about 45-48 MPG - which I consider very poor for a 250.
On the other hand, when I'm out on the open road and not dealing with lights or much traffic, the mileage is a much more respectable 58 MPG - quite a difference.
Looking at your hwy mpg, your city is low because of throttle management most likely. What RPM are you hitting on each gear before you shift? I normally hit between 5k and 7k before I shift, but I only give it like 1/4 throttle.

RningOnFumes
May 11th, 2009, 04:45 AM
So there are no 70+ mpg average (US calc) folks here? I am looking into a Ninjette mainly as a commuter with a side of fun. I like the 250 mainly because of the high mpg potential with-out being on a generic vespa. There is a honda or yamaha 230cc somewheres that can get from 80-90mpg.

(doing my research homework)

SteveL
May 11th, 2009, 05:11 AM
My commute each direction is 15 miles 10 of which are out of town where my speed is 50 to 60 mph
Town is three lights five roundabouts with very heavy traffic, the average over 2000Km has been 63 mpg no modifications to the bike

Steve

kkim
May 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM
There is a honda or yamaha 230cc somewheres that can get from 80-90mpg.

(doing my research homework)
that would be a honda crf230L. lol... single cylinder. not that competent for the highway as the 250R is. I own a converted crf230F and the engine in no way compares to the 250R when looked at for strictly street use.
If you're looking for a higher MPG bike, consider the pregen 250 ninjas.

devinjc
May 11th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Having maybe sorta kept a record of every fill up, I seem to get 45mpg come hell or highwater. I am very much a redline junky though.

Skidro
May 12th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Something to keep an eye.

I had less than a 1/4 of a tank showing on my gauge & only 135 miles on that tank of gas and i was about to get upset, but when i stopped to fill up it only took 2.5 gallons to fill it up. This means i basically still had 2.3 gallons or a 1/2 tank of gas, but the gauge was showing less than a 1/4 remaining in the tank.

I had been just topping the tank off without really checking my mileage, mainly because of only getting to ride between the stormy weather we have been having. I'm going by my dealer this weekend & ask about this. This is the first bike I've owned that had this type of gas gauge on it & i need to know how accurate these are before i do some long rides.

Thanks & Have A Fantastic day!

tjkamper
May 12th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Something to keep an eye.

I had less than a 1/4 of a tank showing on my gauge & only 135 miles on that tank of gas and i was about to get upset, but when i stopped to fill up it only took 2.5 gallons to fill it up. This means i basically still had 2.3 gallons or a 1/2 tank of gas, but the gauge was showing less than a 1/4 remaining in the tank.

I had been just topping the tank off without really checking my mileage, mainly because of only getting to ride between the stormy weather we have been having. I'm going by my dealer this weekend & ask about this. This is the first bike I've owned that had this type of gas gauge on it & i need to know how accurate these are before i do some long rides.

Thanks & Have A Fantastic day!

This is a common issue. The gage is really fast through the first 1/2 -3/4 tank. Truth is I can run a long time with the needle right on the E. I don't by choice, but I have never put more than 3.3 gallons in, so that technically means I still have a gallon left.

Check out this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7248&highlight=fuel+gage) It is labled as "Speedometer," but it talks alot about the Fuel Gage as well.

thsadmin
May 12th, 2009, 05:45 AM

Mmmm I seem to go through fuel pretty quick, street use though and not highways, most my travels are in 3rd or 4th gear. I will see how my 86 goes with fuel.

1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres ... need to remember that conversion though ... in Aus' we're working with litres.

kkim
May 12th, 2009, 12:04 PM
do you have any modifications done to the engine/carbs? that will eat more gas than a completely stock bike. staying in a 3rd and 4th will definitely lower the MPG.

bogdanb
May 12th, 2009, 12:09 PM
351 kilometers wit 14 liters used... in heavy traffic jams in European capital... it makes 70.652 mpg :D

RningOnFumes
May 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM
that would be a honda crf230L. lol... single cylinder. not that competent for the highway as the 250R is. I own a converted crf230F and the engine in no way compares to the 250R when looked at for strictly street use.

I see..shame on the Honda being street capable only. As for a pregen 250...You kidding me? I want the new body styling! I just thought maybe those of you who commute know little tricks to up the mileage.

351 kilometers wit 14 liters used... in heavy traffic jams in European capital... it makes 70.652 mpg :D

Is that metric or US mpg measurements?

speedgsx98
May 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM
only done two tanks so far. First was 62mpg, but that included some more aggressive throttle usage. 2nd tank I decided to take it easy and go slower on the freeway...around 75mph indicated. Got 73.6mpg on that tank.

thsadmin
May 12th, 2009, 06:41 PM
do you have any modifications done to the engine/carbs? that will eat more gas than a completely stock bike.

I don't think so, only work completed has been cosmetic.

staying in a 3rd and 4th will definitely lower the MPG.

Yeah I wasn't sure, particularly if taking off and stopping more - would increase fuel usage.

I am on 11445 Now and have done about 20KMs since filling up. Will update after I fill up again.

NJD022588
May 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Filled up today and had my highest MPG ever.. 58!

Then, to make up for it, i went for a ride where i used full throttle about half the time. :D We'll see how that ends up being...

Ramen
May 12th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I've been wringing the hell out of my 08 Ninjette since I shimmed the carb needles and removed the snorkel, and I'm still getting 55mpg.

Perhaps if I remove the muffler, it'll turn into a perpetual motion machine. :thumbup:

bogdanb
May 13th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I see..shame on the Honda being street capable only. As for a pregen 250...You kidding me? I want the new body styling! I just thought maybe those of you who commute know little tricks to up the mileage.

Is that metric or US mpg measurements?

Metric i s 4 / 100 , liters per kilometer, it is equal to 70.65 miles per gallon.

Alex
May 13th, 2009, 07:06 AM

You're using UK gallons in that conversion, not US gallons. If you convert 25.1 kilometers per liter to mpg using US gallons, you get 59.0 mpg, not 70.7 mpg.

Here's a great link (http://www.teaching-english-in-japan.net/conversion/miles_per_gallon/) where you can create your own conversion chart and you can see the difference.

Here's a link to a quick and dirty google search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1I7ADBF_en&q=25.1+kilometers+per+liter+to+mpg) that does the conversion for you automatically as well.

beowuff
May 13th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I do the mpg almost everytime I fill up.

Stock '07 averages about 64 mpg with mostly commuting miles.

One time, I got about 74 mpg. Yes, that's US gallons. It was a long highway trip, mostly 55 to 60 mph with very few stops. It IS possible.

I was quite shocked when I had over 200 miles on my OD, but put less then 3 gallons in the tank...

bogdanb
May 13th, 2009, 10:13 AM
You're using UK gallons in that conversion, not US gallons. If you convert 25.1 kilometers per liter to mpg using US gallons, you get 59.0 mpg, not 70.7 mpg.

Here's a great link (http://www.teaching-english-in-japan.net/conversion/miles_per_gallon/) where you can create your own conversion chart and you can see the difference.

Here's a link to a quick and dirty google search (http://www.goggle.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1I7ADBF_en&q=25.1+kilometers+per+liter+to+mpg) that does the conversion for you automatically as well.

Yes, you are right. :D Excuse me... I converted with an on line calculator, apparently from U.K. site....:o Thought that I own the most economical model in the world. :thumbup:
I don't make difference between the gallons. All I know is that one of them is about 4 liters, the other is less.

RningOnFumes
May 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM
lol with the calculations, I'm glad we weren't talking about the trajectory of the space shuttle.

So another question from me and it's aimed towards our friends on the other side of the pond or whom ever have the FI models. Say you are going down hill and you don't really need to be on the throttle, will the FI models shut off fuel and just allow the engine with tranny to do engine braking without additional fuel? I know most modern cars today don't send fuel if the vehicle is cruising above 1200rpm with no throttle. Under 1200rpm, the ecu pumps in fuel to keep the engine going (for cars).

Banzai
June 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Stock 501 tires, Two Brothers slip on, shimmed needles, snorkel removed, and K&N stock replacement filter. Riding like a fool the lowest I've registered is 54mpg. Slow, easy twisty back roads just strolling around, 62mpg. Usually, I'm shifting somewhere above 9k.

capt_bugaloo
June 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Looking at your hwy mpg, your city is low because of throttle management most likely. What RPM are you hitting on each gear before you shift? I normally hit between 5k and 7k before I shift, but I only give it like 1/4 throttle.
I am riding pretty much the same as you - shifting around 7000, and I'm generally easy on the throttle.

Nickds7
June 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Was getting about 60mpg but on my last tank 45mpg I hit up a 35mph highway with a ton of very tight twisties...so lots of acceleration from turns.

M-Oorb
June 4th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Snorkel removel,full area p with needles shimed with 3 washers each,extra tooth on front sproket...on my ride from fl to jersey(about 85 percent highway) averaged about 63 mpg which I think is pretty good since I also averaged 60 mph
Posted via Mobile Device

chess
June 21st, 2009, 08:36 AM
I'm just over 50 mpg, and I'm pretty disappointed. I knew it wouldn't be as good as my Virago, which was right around 80, but this is far enough from advertised that I'm thinking something might be wrong.

I use it almost solely for commuting, most of the trip right at 60 mph with just a bit of stop and go at each end. I just went over 1100 miles and will be switching to synthetic at the next oil change, but I doubt that will buy me more than 1-2 MPG.

Rayme
June 21st, 2009, 08:40 AM
I keep track of my gas mileage the best I can, here is my chart for my ninjette :

I get high 50s, 60s on the highway.. I'm actually suprised I get the best mileage going about 100 KMH, the engine revs so high!

http://www.gassavers.org/gaslog/chart.php?id=2531

and some more info:
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/2531?

ScorpionNinja
June 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM
I just filled up yesterday, after leaving my Dad for a visit!

I got 64.89 MPG
4-5k short shifts 50% ,
5-6k shifts 40%,
city riding 55 MPH,
5% Highway riding,
5% RED LINE Hard-Take offs too suprize ppl trying to get ahead of me!
(Fun Fun)

cwb48
June 22nd, 2009, 05:26 AM
The '08 is averaging 62 mpg or so, no mods. I am a little disappointed, since the '01 was consistantly over 70 mpg, also stock. Always use Exxon 87 gas, 10w40 Spectro 4 dino oil.

And by the way, it doesn't hurt to wind it out- do it early and often.

Chris

cwb48
June 22nd, 2009, 05:36 AM
Kelly, I wonder if these variations in fuel economy are reflections of the factory jetting- as you have pointed out, some bikes are running way to lean stock, and some seem to be alright. Mine is prone to hesitation when cold, but never after it's throughly warmed up.

Chris

TonyKZ1
June 22nd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Kelly, I wonder if these variations in fuel economy are reflections of the factory jetting- as you have pointed out, some bikes are running way to lean stock, and some seem to be alright. Mine is prone to hesitation when cold, but never after it's throughly warmed up.
Chris

Well, on mine with the stock jetting, I've got one washer under each needle (takes care of the around 6k rpm hesitation) and the idle mixture screw out 2.5 turns (helps the lean idle). With this setup I'm getting 60-low 60s mpg during the winter time and mid - upper 60s mpg during the summer time.
Tony

Nemy
June 22nd, 2009, 10:02 AM

Chris

ya I'm not a fan of my fuel economy though I would say 80% of my shifts are 10k+. I switched from 2 to 1 washer to see if it would improve my economy. I seem to be saving about 10% but I also sometimes feel a little hesitation under 6k rpm

kkim
June 22nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
I'm sure any mod you make to the jetting that makes it richer will result in lower MPG. To get the best MPG, I would think, is to leave the jetting stock, if you can live with it.

On the other hand, I know Alex's bike (or more correctly, Annie's bike :p) has not had the jetting touched and I think he's getting about 40MPG. :D

A LOT will depend on the rider and what type of traffic you encounter.

noche_caliente
July 10th, 2009, 08:39 AM
:bump:

Ramen
July 11th, 2009, 10:05 AM
When I first adjusted my chain, I n00bed it and aligned my rear wheel alignment by the hash marks on either side. I finally got around to measuring it from the center of the axle bolt to swingarm pivot with measuring tape. Turns out one side was 1/2 inch longer than the other! :doh:

I realigned properly and all of a sudden I'm now gaining around 5 mpg in fuel efficiency.

So put me down around 60mpg. :D

newgirlrider
July 19th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Three gallons used in the first 180 miles, not to bad I suppose.
The chain alignment marks seem to off on my bike too. I lined it up by eye looking at it from behind.

ScorpionNinja
July 19th, 2009, 01:52 PM
ya I'm not a fan of my fuel economy though I would say 80% of my shifts are 10k+. I switched from 2 to 1 washer to see if it would improve my economy. I seem to be saving about 10% but I also sometimes feel a little hesitation under 6k rpm

Meh, im leaving my Engine stock, no Jetting and that crap. The way i see it, if i want more HP and better throddle response.... ill get all that on my Next Bike (2nd bike - as ill be Keeping 250R Nate for a longtime) , a ZX-6R... or a CBR600... at some point later on! 600cc is meant for FUN IMO, 250R is fun also... but once i have 2 bikes... its pick your Mood day!

Do i wanna go upnorth next year Camping... with MPG in mind... or SPEED HP in mind? :D

thats my 2 pennies

ScorpionNinja
July 19th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Well, on mine with the stock jetting, I've got one washer under each needle (takes care of the around 6k rpm hesitation) and the idle mixture screw out 2.5 turns (helps the lean idle). With this setup I'm getting 60-low 60s mpg during the winter time and mid - upper 60s mpg during the summer time.
Tony

Is that a 08-09'? Do you have that old school 89' AND a 08-09, or just your pre-gen? If your set up stats, will give those stats on my 09, then thats sumin' for me to think about... as i get that MPG on avg. stock! (so in short... looks like shimmin' carbs 1 washer n crap Wont hurt MPG) :confused:

I dont seem to notice a 6k RPM problem with my bike, thou...

kkim
July 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Meh, im leaving my Engine stock, no Jetting and that crap. The way i see it, if i want more HP and better throddle response....

you may think differently if/when your bike stalls at an intersection from a stop from being too lean.

noche_caliente
July 19th, 2009, 02:05 PM
:whathesaid: In the case of my bike, it was a safety issue for me, and thus the shims

Alex
July 19th, 2009, 02:11 PM
you may think differently if/when your bike stalls at an intersection from a stop from being too lean.

:whathesaid: In the case of my bike, it was a safety issue for me, and thus the shims

:rolleyes:

If you want to mod your bike, by all means have at it. But claiming that the jetting from the factory is a safety issue is just not accurate. If the bike doesn't stall in neutral, it doesn't stall when you're taking off from a stop unless somebody has poor clutch control.

kkim
July 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM
:rolleyes:

If you want to mod your bike, by all means have at it. But claiming that the jetting from the factory is a safety issue is just not accurate. If the bike doesn't stall in neutral, it doesn't stall when you're taking off from a stop unless somebody has poor clutch control.

not true. mine was horrible from the factory and I'm no novice to a clutch. just because your bike doesn't exhibit lean idle circuit problems doesn't mean they all don't. :p

noche_caliente
July 19th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Mine would stall in gear with the clutch pulled in completely - even when it had been warmed for quite a while (10-15 mins). I'm not going to claim that I have perfect clutch control by a long shot, but my bike was not right.

kkim
July 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Mine would stall in gear with the clutch pulled in completely - even when it had been warmed for quite a while (10-15 mins).

that sounds like a clutch cable adjustment problem.

Alex
July 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
not true. mine was horrible from the factory and I'm no novice to a clutch. just because your bike doesn't exhibit lean idle circuit problems doesn't mean they all don't. :p

How many times did you stall the bike leaving a stop because throttle response could be better? There's a pretty wide chasm between "could be better" and "safety issue" with it stalling at a light through no fault of the rider.

Mine would stall in gear with the clutch pulled in completely - even when it had been warmed for quite a while (10-15 mins). I'm not going to claim that I have perfect clutch control by a long shot, but my bike was not right.

If my bike did that, it would annoy the heck out of me too. I'd first try and figure out why the clutch was dragging so much that it could stall a running engine even with it pulled in completely. Adding fuel at idle via shims in that case seems to be a bandaid over an actual problem with the bike, don't you think?

ScorpionNinja
July 19th, 2009, 02:42 PM
How many times did you stall the bike leaving a stop because throttle response could be better? There's a pretty wide chasm between "could be better" and "safety issue" with it stalling at a light through no fault of the rider.

If my bike did that, it would annoy the heck out of me too. I'd first try and figure out why the clutch was dragging so much that it could stall a running engine even with it pulled in completely. Adding fuel at idle via shims in that case seems to be a bandaid over an actual problem with the bike, don't you think?

My bike would stahl out often also.... BUT that was ONLY this April here in Mi. when the morning Temps were like 37-45 degrees, that and the Bike was only warming up for 5 mins or so. Also it sat outside under a Ultraguard RED/BLK cover over night! out in the open at a Condo i lived at. (with a co-worker)

now since the weather morning temps are up 55+... NPs with sthalling the bike!

ScorpionNinja
July 19th, 2009, 02:46 PM

I could agree, but for real, i havent had any problems with stahling the bike. aside from early April, when Morning temps were like 35-45 degress, and the bike ran 5-7 mins... sometimes 10mins b4 id leave for work. It would still bog for the first half mile, through the Condo complex i Lived at, by the time i hit the open road, i had NPs thou.

bobaab
July 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I get a very consistent 65mpg since I got my bike 3 weeks ago. I do 65% highway and 35% city during my commute...which is what this bike is being used for mostly. I shift at a pretty relaxed 5-6000rpm when on normal streets, so maybe that helps.

I was hoping to go into the 70's...once I get my new tires and front sprocket, that may change :) I also want to lose some weight off of me...diet = biggest weight savings on a bike :D

kkim
July 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM

At least 2 in the first few hundred miles before I shimmed the carbs. Before shimming, I would rev to 4-6K before gradually letting out the clutch being ever vigilant if it was going to stall or not. I could see this catching a complete novice by surprise and end up dropping the bike if there was a turn immediately after a stop sign.

noche_caliente
July 19th, 2009, 04:35 PM
or running into a fence.... *cough*

Alex
July 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Novices drop bikes. Novices run into fences. Sh*t happens, right? Some novices are also quick to blame the tools they use rather than their own skill level. If a bike isn't working right, by all means find a way to get it up to snuff. But I must take issue with the assumption by some on this board that every bike rolling off the showroom floor is by default not working correctly, and before it becomes usable every owner needs to tear into the carbs if they want a safe bike. That's several hours of work that would be better spent by those same novices gaining experience by putting 250 additional miles on their bike rather than staring at it in the garage. :2cents:

kkim
July 19th, 2009, 10:02 PM
all I know is that I have total confidence in my bike now with regards to it not stalling. I had zero confidence in my bike after those stall incidents. I'm no novice. :)

No one ever said every bike needs jetting work off the floor. You've read my post on shimming. But if it does, shimming is a way to combat the total lack of quality control that seems to plague the idle settings from the factory. you choose not to rejet your bike... but you're far from a novice, too. ride it like it is from the factory...no one is saying you need to change your wife's bike. if others choose to because they want to improve the throttle response from idle to midrange, why does that bother you so much?

on some bikes, the settings are so bad that it cause the bike to stall... why is that so hard to believe? your bike doesn't do it... be glad. :p

Alex
July 20th, 2009, 12:49 AM
if others choose to because they want to improve the throttle response from idle to midrange, why does that bother you so much?

I dunno, I'm afraid what I'm thinking may not be fully expressed in what I'm typing, and I'm afraid what you think is bothering me isn't actually bothering me much at all. Where I'm coming from is that this site has now, and will always have, people who are brand new to this sport and know very little about motorcycles. That's a good thing, and I'm very glad that folks like that found us. The ninjette is a spectacular bike to start out on, and anything we can do to encourage that is a good thing. (It also happens to be a pretty spectacular bike for experienced riders, but that takes some time to sink in for folks).

I'm also fully supportive of anyone who wants to mod their bike however they choose, it's the best way to learn more about them and get their hands dirty while they are playing with something they enjoy. It doesn't bother me in the least, and while our own ninjette has some pretty tame modifications compared to some others on this site, some of our other bikes over the years have had quite a bit of work done to tweak this, that, or the other to make the bike exactly what I wanted it to be at the time.

I guess it's just that I don't want those same newbies with a brand-new bike and zero experience as of yet, to see jumping into carb tuning as the first plan of attack when they are having problems balancing the clutch and the throttle. Of course it's important for a motorcycle to work properly, but to point a new rider in the direction of their motorcycle being the problem rather than simply more practice in using the controls, I think it gives them an out that is unwarranted. In some ways it downplays the importance of actually being good at this before you share the public roads with other traffic. It's a cliche, but as fun as motorcycling is, it's also a pretty serious commitment that really can't be dabbled in once someone leaves the parking lot.

The fact is if you searched out 10 used ninjettes on craigslist, you'll find that 8 of them have never had their carbs touched and somehow their owners put thousands of safe, happy miles on them. That takes nothing away from those owners who have tweaked them to better fit what they wanted out of the bike, it's only to illustrate that no, every bike does not have a problem out of the gate, that's all.

kkim
July 20th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Alex, I agree with everything you just posted.

Some bikes are better/worse than others, though. For the bad ones, shimming is a godsend.

Learning excellent rider skills is paramount, no doubt, especially for a beginner. The bike, as it is set up from the factory, is not the most confidence inspiring off the showroom floor. For those learning throttle/clutch control, the bike, in stock jetting form, is not very user friendly at all. I can see why Kawasaki did what they did, but that doesn't mean it's the best the bike could be for a beginner. They couldn't richen up the bike and pass the emissions standards is what I'm thinking, so they chose to pass the standards to sell the bike. Good move on their part.... not so good for the first time rider with a poorly setup bike from the factory.

My recommendation for shimming is to help those that most likely would benefit the most from the change... the new rider who is trying to master the stop and go mechanics. Modding the bike to be more user friendly is great for them and only costs pennies. (time in the garage, excluded)

yes, I see many 250s up for sale, but I wonder of the unmodded bikes that get sold, how many would still be in the hands of those owners if the bike had a little more power and responsiveness? It's an easy mistake to make that this is all this bike has to offer and move up several thousand dollars to a bigger bike to get the torque the 250 w/ stock jetting lacks. I'm not saying shimming improves the bike to bigger bike torque, but it does help.

And last, I can see where some new owners immediately jump to rejetting as a way to improve their bikes. I'm a firm believer that rejetting helps, but each has to make their own decision as if the benefits are worth the trade offs. Sorry, if I sounded like jetting is the only solution to all the bike's ills and that it will turn the 250R into a 600SS. :)

I think we're both after the same thing, but through different methods. We seem to be on the same page, but have arrived here from different directions in the book. Stop reading from the back of the book, forward. :p

nate-bama
July 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM
i feel dumb for starting a thread in the tech section on mileage, but any way i most def notice mid range hesitation on mine has any on here used the factory pro kit on their pre gen? im finally back work and plan on jetting soon , my bike gets hot quick at idle down here. I used to have the stalling problem when stopping quick cause the local kawi shop gave me the hot plugs as oem , that and high heat + lean mixture :(

kkim
July 20th, 2009, 10:43 PM
change back to the stock heat range plugs and add a couple of shims to the needles. we added 2 to komohana's bike and he loves it. no other changes but the shims. don't know how it affected his mpg, though.

nate-bama
July 21st, 2009, 02:27 AM
change back to the stock heat range plugs and add a couple of shims to the needles. we added 2 to komohana's bike and he loves it. no other changes but the shims. don't know how it affected his mpg, though.

yeah i changed them out pretty quick, btw i must say my local dealer was really rude whenever i went in, seemed they didnt like me asking for ex 250 parts, so the plugs are the last thing id ever buy from them. they didnt even stock oil filters. hello walmart and ebay

bobaab
July 21st, 2009, 04:39 AM
yeah i changed them out pretty quick, btw i must say my local dealer was really rude whenever i went in, seemed they didnt like me asking for ex 250 parts, so the plugs are the last thing id ever buy from them. they didnt even stock oil filters. hello walmart and ebay

Same experience here. A few guys greeted me then went straight back to work. The guy behind the counter got everything I wanted, and the price wasn't bad, but he had absolutely no charisma that it felt awkward being in there.

Go find a local bike shop. Thank god I found a place where the guys are nice, especially the mechanic I talked to. He knows his **** and has no hesitation to give me an advice or two on maintenance stuff. :thumbup: Definitely going back there to pick up plugs and oil filters whenever I need em.

newgirlrider
July 21st, 2009, 11:55 AM
What are the names of these dealers you are talking about.

bobaab
July 21st, 2009, 12:04 PM
What are the names of these dealers you are talking about.

Woodfield Kawasaki in Hoffman Estates, IL. If you are ever up here, don't go there :p

Purdue student by any chance? I'm going back for my last semester in August...unless I do grad school there :thumbup:

Alex
July 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM
I know, I know, I'm partially responsible for the threadjack. But still, I think we're way off of a gas mileage discussion at this point.

:focus:

bobaab
July 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
You're right, I forgot to explain why the dealership has anything to do with gas mileage.

If you go to Woodfield Kawasaki and support their establishment, you will get 30mpg on the ride home. :p Are we kinda back on track now?

Alex
July 21st, 2009, 12:34 PM
:)

Bill N
July 21st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Personally I'm very satisfied with my uncorrected 62 MPG average. I mean uncorrected by knowing the speedo and odometer are about 10 % conservative. So add 10% to my 62 and I get 68 MPG. Also the el crapo 10% of ethanol that is everywhere provides less MPG than 100% gasoline . So at a solid 60 plus MPG I'm totally satisfied. My riding is mostly 50% commuting at 60 MPH and 50% city stop and go. I do not red line often and I short shift normally at about 6000 RPM. I had one ride with my sport bike buddies where my MPG dropped to 53 MPG. I shifted at higher RPM and had long segments at 80+ MPH. I can live with that. Love my 2008 and planto keep it a long long time.
Bill

Alex
July 21st, 2009, 03:19 PM
I mean uncorrected by knowing the speedo and odometer are about 10 % conservative. So add 10% to my 62 and I get 68 MPG.

You're getting fantastic mileage either way, but most of our odometers are much closer to accurate than the speedos, and fairly represent the miles traveled by the ninjette. :thumbup:

ninjabrewer
July 21st, 2009, 05:58 PM
I have had a few trips on the freeway, about an hour or less, with avg speed around 75 or 80. That is not me trying to be a speed demon, thats hanging with traffic. Those jaunts get me around 57. And also with no corrections worked in, I take the milage off the trip odometer, and divide the amount of the fill up into that.

nb

BlueRaven
July 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Me and Lockie both filled up at the same spot and ran for hours. When we looked at our gages his was at 1/4 tank and mine was a hair less than 1/2 at the end of our run. I guess that our weights might've been a factor? I do over 60 mpg.

noche_caliente
July 21st, 2009, 08:09 PM
BR - any jetting differences?

BlueRaven
July 22nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
I believe we are both stock, even have matching cracked right fairings...lol

almost40
July 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Upper 50's when riding on the street
Lower 40's on the track.

Snake
July 22nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
I average a consistant 55 MPG and everything is stock on the bike except for a 15T sprocket on the front and Sport Demons front and back.

nate-bama
July 24th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I believe we are both stock, even have matching cracked right fairings...lol

uh so what is a french frog?

BlueRaven
August 2nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
The english speaking teens in New Brunswick Canada called us french ppl french frog. Never found out where it came from but we just didn't make a big fuss about it when we were in high school. When they made fun of us we'd just tell them we like to rub it....lol.

noche_caliente
August 3rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
So I've improved from my ghastly 49.9 mpg to 77.3 on the parkway this weekend!

cifex
August 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
My average is about 49-50mpg -- probably because I take so many rides that are less than 3 miles and the fact that I have a lead right hand

You must wear yourself raw on those Monday nights.... :beatdeadhorse:

Couldn't resist! :D

cifex
August 6th, 2009, 10:52 AM
You should really include when you ride. If I am riding in the daytime when its 80F, the engine RPMs are about 1K higher than at the same speed in the same gear at night in 50F.

kkim
August 6th, 2009, 10:55 AM
You should really include when you ride. If I am riding in the daytime when its 80F, the engine RPMs are about 1K higher than at the same speed in the same gear at night in 50F.

sounds like you have the dreaded tach issue.

cifex
August 6th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I really don't think it's tach malfunction. The sound and feel of the bike indicate it is definitely running at a significantly lower RPM. I most noticed it around the 9K RPM mark because that is where it starts to really scream. Tach observation confirmed the sound / vibration difference I noticed, not the other way around.

What is the tach issue you speak of?

Alex
August 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Actual revs don't change due to temperature. If the rear wheel is turning a certain speed, the engine is turning a certain speed, directly related to the gear that it's in. If you are seeing varying revs on the tach, when you're going the same exact speed and in the same gear, you have a defective tach or a defective ignitor (which sends the signal to the tach, among other things).

Info about this on the wiki here:

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Ignitor_problem

cifex
August 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Those things wouldn't explain the change in sound though.

Could the speedo get MORE generous in the cold?

There has to be another solution besides dat i iz doopid! :rolleyes:

Alex
August 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM
If the ignitor issue is causing the bike to run rougher, then a change in sound is possible. Highly unlikely that the speedo error percentage is temperature dependent.

karlosdajackal
October 5th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Still breaking it in as per manufacturer recommendations. Thought I'd post to give you an idea of what the Fuel Injected version is like.

So how I measured was, I waited till the fuel light came on (tank is 17 litres light comes on when you have 4 litres left). Drove around the corner and put 10 litres of gas in and reset the trip meter. Waited for the fuel light to come on again.

I got the following

In Euro metric terms 241.4 kilometres covered, 4.14 L/100km, €11.80
In UK imperial terms 150 miles covered, 68.2 mpg, £10.82
In US imperial terms 150 miles covered, 56.8 mpg, $17.26

So I reckon on a full tank, using 17L of Gas I could get 255miles/410km before I have to start pushing :D

Bike is totally stock, but temperature gauge stays near the bottom, so I would not be surprised if the fuel injection computer is running it a bit rich, (auto choke and all that). For the last 20 miles I put 5 strips of tape on the radiator and it gets about a 5th of the way up the temperature gauge. Going to add 1 or 2 more for the next tank.

devinjc
April 28th, 2010, 10:55 AM
My last tank dropped me to 34.9 mpg for my 5 mile commute. Ah Spring and redline 1, redline 2, redline 3.

2WheelGuy
April 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
My pre-gens consistently average between 39-40 mpg, ON THE RACE TRACK!

CZroe
April 29th, 2010, 10:30 AM
My recent fill-up history: 50MPG; 49MPG; sprocket change (14:45 to 15:41); 47MPG; 45MPG; 43MPG... SOMETHING IS WRONG!

devinjc
April 29th, 2010, 12:27 PM
My pre-gens consistently average between 39-40 mpg, ON THE RACE TRACK!

lol, but I have short twisty, stop sign, long straight, red light, short twisty, stop sign, long twisty, stop sign, short straight red light, short straight red light, short straight red light, short straight red light.

I do freely admit to spending waaay too much time above 10k, but 10k+ is why I don't need a bigger bike. :D

scotty
April 29th, 2010, 01:56 PM
filled up today, 64 MPG! All stock. I drive mostly city and a small amout of high way. I drive it easy too.

Scott1620
April 30th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Measured mine for the first time and averaged 50mpg over 165 miles. I think it will be better next time I measure it, i rode with the choke on unknowingly for a few miles, and have been commuting in the cold mornings (upper 30s, low 40s F)...

TheDuck
May 5th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I tried to push the Ninja 250 as far as it could go on a tank of gas and got up to 248 miles. (About 55mpg when doing the math as refilled.) I would have gone further, but I was risking some of the gas stations being closed when I was leaving my friend's house late.

This bike has had the air box deleted, jetted up several sizes, needles raised and has an AreaP exhaust. It also has a 15/41 sprocket configuration for better fuel mileage, less heat, and less noise on the highway.

Another thing to note, usually I'm running it wide open in the twisties just above redline, lots of wheelies, and I still get about 50mpg. Otherwise when ridden gently and shut off for long traffic lights and trains it gets about 55mpg.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/690oZ_hYtYU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/690oZ_hYtYU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

zenrush
May 5th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Totally stock bike. Lots of stop lights, short rides. 50mpg. I do not go over 10K very often.

Max hp isn't reached until something like 12,5000 right?

ninjabrewer
May 5th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I have already chimed in on this one, but that was when I first got the bike and got on here. On my recent ride from LA area to Tacoma, WA, every tank 'cept for one I got 49 MPG. That was all freeway, cruising about 80 indicated, 9500 RPM, or so. The one tank that differed was the one that took me through San Jose, 'frisco, across the Golden Gate bridge and back up to I-5. I got 57 or so on that one.

nb

CZroe
May 6th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I tried to push the Ninja 250 as far as it could go on a tank of gas and got up to 248 miles. (About 55mpg when doing the math as refilled.) I would have gone further, but I was risking some of the gas stations being closed when I was leaving my friend's house late.

This bike has had the air box deleted, jetted up several sizes, needles raised and has an AreaP exhaust. It also has a 15/41 sprocket configuration for better fuel mileage, less heat, and less noise on the highway.

Another thing to note, usually I'm running it wide open in the twisties just above redline, lots of wheelies, and I still get about 50mpg. Otherwise when ridden gently and shut off for long traffic lights and trains it gets about 55mpg.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/690oZ_hYtYU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/690oZ_hYtYU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thanks for the info. I weigh about the same as you and have 15:41 also but I still have the running rich issue. My economy dropped to 42MPG the last time I filled up. It's dropped about 1.5MPG steadily since the last service when I got the sprocket setup.

eddiekay
May 6th, 2010, 07:55 PM
116 miles Saturday morning
11-12 @ 5-10-mph (traffic)
70-75 @ 70+ mph ( on way to roads)
the rest on twisty roads
1.7 gallons
No windshield...bike had only 1800 miles on it....very pleased

izmail1215
May 7th, 2010, 04:54 AM
like the post, i get 60s if i treat her good. lol

SCREEM
May 13th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I got 51.3 mpg on my last tank, I removed 7.5% of the indicated miles to correct the speedo inaccuracy, which on mine is 5% optimistic up to 80Kph and 10% off above that. I got 55.7mpg just going from the speedo

CZroe
May 13th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I got 51.3 mpg on my last tank, I removed 7.5% of the indicated miles to correct the speedo inaccuracy, which on mine is 5% optimistic up to 80Kph and 10% off above that. I got 55.7mpg just going from the speedo

The speedometer variance is not related to the odometer, if that is where you are getting your variance figures/measurements from. Otherwise, how did you determine an odometer variance?

SCREEM
May 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM
The speedometer variance is not related to the odometer, if that is where you are getting your variance figures/measurements from. Otherwise, how did you determine an odometer variance?

I figured if the speedo is off the odometer would be off as well, if thats not the case then I get 56mpg which is not bad, considering how cold it is here in the morning.

cb61
May 13th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I'd suggest putting some information in this thread about how to accurately calculate your gas mileage.

If you can't calculate your gas mileage you've got problems. Maybe you shouldn't be riding!

kkim
May 13th, 2010, 07:18 PM
If you can't calculate your gas mileage you've got problems. Maybe you shouldn't be riding!

you'd be surprised how many can't, yet still are able to ride a motorcycle. scary, isn't it? :)

SCREEM
May 24th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Just did the math on a tank of 92 octane.....64.3 mpg, that's 8 mpg better than the 87 octane result I get.

Good to know if your looking for maximum range on a trip.

kkim
May 24th, 2010, 01:25 PM
octane should not impact mpg, unless your engine is waaaay out of tune.

SCREEM
May 24th, 2010, 01:44 PM
octane should not impact mpg, unless your engine is waaaay out of tune.

could be the colder mornings I was using the bike on the 87octane tank that makes the difference, I have 87 in it atm, will see how it does now that it is warm up here.

bdavison
August 9th, 2010, 09:55 AM
In the city im getting between 56-65mpg for running around town and stuff. Im pretty aggressive on the throttle...I dont baby it, but Im not bouncing off the rev limiter either.

On the highway....WOWOWOW...saturday, I was getting a unreal 96mpg running 65mph in 6th gear for around 110 miles. That was a first for me....usually on the interstate I get right around the 70mpg range.

In all reality....I really dont care too much about its gas mileage. I check it at every fillup, not because Im concerned with gas milage, but because its a good early indicator of a problem like dirty air filters, and such. I fill up around the 1/4 tank, and it still under 8 bucks even if I ran premium...so who cares.

srsly
August 10th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Stock can, two shims, 100 jets, no snorkel: 40-45
I'm pretty sure this setup was rich too.

I just got my bike back Friday and it's got a full yosh on it now, no idea what size jets, no idea if they left the shims in the carb. I'll report back after a tank or three. I've been off the bike for a month since I got t-boned and now I'm just ripping it everywhere. So the first couple tanks may not be representative :D

kamikaze
August 10th, 2010, 04:50 PM
i'm getting about 48mpg (4.9l/100km), but since the break in I've been riding it like i stole it :o

edit: on a side note, anyone with an iPhone/ipod touch looking for an easy way to track mileage, get AccuFuel. That's what I'm using, and it works great. takes about 30 seconds to input the mileage, amount and price of fuel when you're done filling.

wayanlam
August 18th, 2010, 11:03 PM
definitely not a strong suite for my bike, last calculation i did (dont remember sactly how many km, lol) was around 220~240 KM when i filled up the tank with 16.4L of fuel, thats like 13.4 to 14.6 KM/L = 32 to 35 MPG....

how do ppl get over 60miles to the gallon! O.o must be them darn long straight roads with the 70mph speed limits over there in the civilized worlds! :rolleyes:

highpsiguy
August 19th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I think height and weight should be listed with fuel mileage results as well. I had an 07 that still got around 60 during its break in time.

Just sold an 09 Versys 650. I averaged 50 mpg with it.

I have just purchased a 02 Ninja 250. Have yet to ride as I am having 15t front sprocket, new tires and carbs cleaned out 1st.

My height is 6ft 4 Weight 245. I feel size/weight should be considered.

wayanlam
August 19th, 2010, 05:13 PM
My height is 6ft 4 Weight 245. I feel size/weight should be considered.

i am 5ft 7, and weigh 137 pounds... and i still get almost half your mpg :(

wonder if i'm running way too rich :confused:...

want1sobad
August 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
52-53mpg, i always get 210-220 miles to a tank. 15t sprocket swap, stock can, shimmed needles, snorkel pulled. 99% of my riding is highway commute at 75mph - when accerlerating onto the highway i shift at 10k. 5' 10" 182 lbs.

srsly
August 20th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Just filled up yesterday with 150.x on the odo and put in 3.5gal for 42.8mpg. No change from before I got the yoshi full installed. This was 90% in-town/commuting with not much slab time.

ztrack157
August 24th, 2010, 11:32 PM
My mileage sucks. Not fun when it costs $100 a tank.

capt_bugaloo
August 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I find that my 2008 250r consistently gets about 45 MPG in the city. Frankly it is a bit disappointing. I used to have a Honda XR200 (air-cooled 200cc single) that got over 90 MPG. Mind you, it didn't have anywhere near the same top speed or acceleration as my Ninja... :-|

highpsiguy
August 25th, 2010, 06:23 PM
My mileage sucks. Not fun when it costs $100 a tank.

Did you install an aftermarket Chevy Suburban gas tank on yours?!

ztrack157
August 25th, 2010, 09:40 PM
nope

wayanlam
August 27th, 2010, 07:50 PM
hes using jet fuel, NOS and a pinch of gold powder just for good measure and its BlingBling factor... or... Matt put a 35 gallon fuel-tank on his 2fiddy for a non stop cross country ride :P

rofl...

highpsiguy
August 28th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Well I see too late that this post was for 2008 plus bikes...

My bike is an 02, but will post anyway.

Just got back from 700 mile round trip. My fuel mileage for first tank was 56mpg, second tank I tried hi test 54mpg. The third tank I was running interstate wide open in 6th gear and got 44mpg-yuck. The last tank when I got home and filled up was 48mpg. I probably averaged around 65 mph when not traveling interstate. My rpms averaged between 7 and 9k.

Again, this is with fresh tune up, new tires, new 15tooth sprocket. My weight 245lbs height 6ft 4.

I was hoping for 75mpg....didn't happen. Not sure what to do to make it get that. Bike is stock except for the above. My 09 Versys 650 gets this mileage almost exactly with tons more power. I am still happy with my little ninja though.

Ytse Frobozz
August 30th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I'd say I get about 55. When I do longer rides, I'm definitely up around 60, but my 8ish mile each way commute eats into that a lot. For comparison, my Dodge Magnum doesn't even come close to being fully warmed up by the time I get to/from work, and thus I average about 14mpg on that commute. :eek:

HorizonXP
September 14th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Man, I'm 200 lbs without gear or my backpack, so maybe 250lbs with it. I'm barely hitting 40 MPG. My bike is bone stock.

I need to sync the carbs and swap the air filter. Would that be a culprit?

kkim
September 14th, 2010, 01:37 PM
what kind of riding is the majority of bike use comprised of?

HorizonXP
September 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Mostly highway commuting lately. So anywhere from 100-140 km/h, but mostly averaging 120 km/h.

kkim
September 14th, 2010, 01:51 PM
hmmm... I would think you would get great gas mileage with the bike in 6th and having the throttle at a constant, cruising speed.... you are in 6th, correct? :D

are you sure your choke is adjusted properly so when it is in the "off" position there is free play down by the carb slider bar thingy <highly technical term :p?

HorizonXP
September 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I'm in 6th unless I have to gear down to pass a semi.

I have not checked the choke free play. This could be a culprit, as I do find that when I use the choke and start it, the bike does rev to 4k rpm quite readily, and idles at 1500 with the choke off. Will look at it tonight.

kkim
September 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I have not checked the choke free play. This could be a culprit, as I do find that when I use the choke and start it, the bike does rev to 4k rpm quite readily, and idles at 1500 with the choke off. Will look at it tonight.

this sounds normal, but check the choke anyway.

also, when you push the bike around in the garage, does it feel like the brakes might be dragging?

chain lubed and adjusted properly?

HorizonXP
September 14th, 2010, 02:02 PM
this sounds normal, but check the choke anyway.

also, when you push the bike around in the garage, does it feel like the brakes might be dragging?

chain lubed and adjusted properly?

Brakes are not dragging. Bike feels fine when pushing it around, and the tire rotates freely when I have it on the rear stand when I'm lubing the chain, which is after every gas fillup. So the chain is properly lubed and adjusted, with the appropriate amount of slack. Had that done by a mechanic, who did it while I sat on the bike to ensure the rear shock was compressed to the point where the chain had max tension.

Things that make you go hmm....

Alex
September 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Mostly highway commuting lately. So anywhere from 100-140 km/h, but mostly averaging 120 km/h.

Averaging 75 or more mph isn't going to get fantastic mileage. There's of course nothing wrong with checking to see if there is a culprit on the bike that is hurting mileage, but before you spend a lot of time and effort, try one more thing. Go at least 50 miles (*quickly does conversion*) 80 kilometers at a constant speed closer to 100 km/h. Start with a full tank, and calculate your mileage right after when you fill up. If the mileage gets closer to 50+ or even approaches 60 mpg, there's nothing wrong with your bike. At high speeds on the highway, the mileage just isn't going to be that great.

kkim
September 14th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I assume you're doing accurate calculation of your mpg and not by the "I'm gettin' X miles per tank before fillup" method. :p

mileage since last oil change? I know I'm gonna start a holy war over this next comment, but you might try switching to a synthetic oil, if you haven't already. Not saying it will miraculously give you 60mpg, but every little bit helps.

next time you have the opportunity, remove the spark plugs and see how they look.

kkim
September 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Averaging 75 or more mph isn't going to get fantastic mileage.

yeah, I missed that... the whole km/h vs mph thing. :p Still, 40 mpg sound a bit low, doesn't it?

HorizonXP
September 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I assume you're doing accurate calculation of your mpg and not by the "I'm gettin' X miles per tank before fillup" method. :p

mileage since last oil change? I know I'm gonna start a holy war over this next comment, but you might try switching to a synthetic oil, if you haven't already. Not saying it will miraculously give you 60mpg, but every little bit helps.

next time you have the opportunity, remove the spark plugs and see how they look.

Uhhh... I'm going by my trip meter, and the amount of gas I put in the tank based on my receipt. I didn't realize that wasn't accurate.

I just recently switched to synthetic Rotella T6, it didn't seem to help a whole lot. I have new plugs that I am planning to put in, but I did take a look at my old ones when I did my valves, and they had a little bit of blackness on the element, which as I understand, means I'm running rich. Sometimes, when I turn on the bike, or I'm at a stoplight, I do get a strong gasoline smell.

I will try Alex's method of measuring MPG this weekend when I have a bit more time.

kkim
September 14th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I'm going by my trip meter, and the amount of gas I put in the tank based on my receipt.

That's the way to do it. It's accurate. :)

karlosdajackal
September 15th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Man, I'm 200 lbs without gear or my backpack, so maybe 250lbs with it. I'm barely hitting 40 MPG. My bike is bone stock.

I need to sync the carbs and swap the air filter. Would that be a culprit?

I'm similar weight, ok 25lbs less but i bring a big heavy chain, a big heavy camera and a big heavy laptop most places so it probably adds up to the difference.

I do similar commutes during the week. According to gps when the bike says 140km its doing 120km(75mph). Have run it up to 165km also (on a closed road of course :eek::D)

Averaging 75 or more mph isn't going to get fantastic mileage. There's of course nothing wrong with checking to see if there is a culprit on the bike that is hurting mileage, but before you spend a lot of time and effort, try one more thing. Go at least 50 miles (*quickly does conversion*) 80 kilometers at a constant speed closer to 100 km/h. Start with a full tank, and calculate your mileage right after when you fill up. If the mileage gets closer to 50+ or even approaches 60 mpg, there's nothing wrong with your bike. At high speeds on the highway, the mileage just isn't going to be that great.

I'd check tire pressure before I'd check anything.

I'm getting worst case 60mpg and best case up to 70mpg. Although I think UK Gallons and US Gallons are not the same? Which one are you measuring too?

Alex
September 15th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I'm getting worst case 60mpg and best case up to 70mpg. Although I think UK Gallons and US Gallons are not the same? Which one are you measuring too?

From handy-dandy google: 1 Imperial gallon = 1.20095042 US gallons

So you're seeing 50 mpg to 58 mpg in US gallons. :thumbup:

bob706
September 15th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I've tracked my mileage from the day I got the bike and I'm getting 56mpg(average for two years). My highest tank was 62mpg and lowest was around 50.

karlosdajackal
September 15th, 2010, 08:26 AM
From handy-dandy google: 1 Imperial gallon = 1.20095042 US gallons

So you're seeing 50 mpg to 58 mpg in US gallons. :thumbup:

I prefer UK gallons then :D

caferacer
September 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I get 50-52 mpg...I have a full yoshi pipe (without the quiet core), K & N filter,
dynojet kit, kleen air removed. I rev to redline most of the time up until about 60-65 mph unless getting on the interstate. I guess 50 is not bad but my last bike was a 955i triumph daytona and it got 42-44....go figure...

srsly
October 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I ran out of gas a couple days ago with 186mi on the tank. Still have the yoshi, still jetted up. I'm 6'1 @ 160lbs. I think I'm running rich and/or leaking somewhere. My buddy brought me a gas can with maybe a cup or two in it and when I filled up the filler read 4.7g. I've had a heavy hand lately but there's no way I could go from mid 40s to under 40 without some kind of problem...

slolane
November 21st, 2010, 10:40 AM
I'm 170lbs, on my 2008 (Pipe and jetted). I commute 2-4 days a week and do some weekend twisties/light touring depending on the mood and riding group. On the highway I stay right around 65mph and I'm 30% highway/70% city. Per tank I average 60-65mpg on the stock gearing. Chain is always lubed and tire pressure checked/corrected. I just purchased 15/42 so I will try that gearing and see how it rides and if the mpg's change.

scotty
November 25th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I'm in the mid 40's now. When it was stock I was getting 55-60's mpg. Now with intake mod, jetting, and exhaust I am in the 40's. Im still pleased with it. Also, its colder where I am at now so that could play with what i'm getting. Maybe when it gets warmer it will go up to the low 50'.?.

JMcDonald
November 25th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I've got 44-45 on every fillup since the first two, heh. Though almost all of my riding is either short commutes or long, quite spirited rides :) .

CZroe
November 26th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Got 39MPG last time and I wasn't too bard on it either. Remember, I'm at 15:41 too. :(

JMcDonald
November 26th, 2010, 09:51 PM
My mileage stayed exactly the same when I went from stock to 16/41, even. Also, even after I changed the jets and added the pod filter, it didn't change. I've been toying with tuning a bit more since I recently finished my exhaust system, and my fillup today was like 45.5mpg.

kenji_808
December 28th, 2010, 12:13 AM
When i first got my ninja250 i was getting a constant 54-55mpg
after installing a yoshi full carbon slip-on with silencer insert my mileage went up to 58-59mpg

Besides the slipon bike is all stock engine wise...
with full gear on i weigh about 150-155lbs

My riding style is all high rev shifting around 8-9k consistently, what can i say didnt geta bike to go slow use my car for that lol. I'd say i ride about 50/50 between highway and city.

IMHO i love my ninja 250 i dont plan on selling it ever, even after i upgrade to a 600

brezim123
December 28th, 2010, 12:43 AM
After reading some of these posts I am loving my bany more and more. About 60% of my riding is in town mostly flat land. Although it may take you 20 minutes to go 10-12 miles due to lights and amount of traffic. My driving sttle driving style depends on amount of traffic but usually in a hurry, lol. The baby weighs 347lbs and I add about 130-135 in full gear so the 2 of us do not make 500lbs. I get about 70 mpg. If I do a trip to Key West (180 miles) I get about 75mpg but that's running down #1 and thru all the Keys. My bike is '05 and all stock.
Posted via Mobile Device

wild-bill
December 28th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I have been getting in the upper 40's. Most of my riding is freeway and highway-65-75mph. I have the Roaring Toyz hanlebar risers, so that makes my big fat body sit upright and catch more wind. I'm going to plan a trip with mostly 50-55mph riding and see how much the mileage increases. Also I ordered the 15 tooth sprocket-hope that can get me into 50mpg.

wyckedflesh
December 31st, 2010, 12:40 PM
Since I am now sharing mine with my son:

2009 250R Two Brothers Slip-On, DynoJet jetting kit, 3rd Ring from Bottom, 112.5 Jets and Uni individual Pods, drilled slides, stock sprockets 140 Sport Demon Rear tire.

Me: 5'7" 220lbs in gear if I haven't eaten :D 50mpg 65-80mph Freeway 55+/-2mpg City, mostly 5th gear riding.

Son: 5'2" 135lbs in gear sopping wet with fishing weights in his pockets so far mostly City with very brief stints on the freeway to not get a good idea...68mpg

Ordered Vortex Sprockets F: #3202 15T R: #435 42T

Will be interesting to see what effect it has.

slolane
March 19th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I'm 170lbs, on my 2008 (Pipe and jetted). I commute 2-4 days a week and do some weekend twisties/light touring depending on the mood and riding group. On the highway I stay right around 65mph and I'm 30% highway/70% city. Per tank I average 60-65mpg on the stock gearing. Chain is always lubed and tire pressure checked/corrected. I just purchased 15/42 so I will try that gearing and see how it rides and if the mpg's change.

Update with the 15/42 gearing... I'm 165lbs now, bike still running the same pipe and jetting. I mostly shift around 5-6k and ride smooth, never any redline runs but I do frequent 9-11k. Still a mix of city stop and go and highway at 60-70mph. I have a hard trunk now that's always half full with "stuff" and I'm getting 63mpg average tank after tank. Filled up today and calculated 67mpg. :thumbup:

bella250r
March 26th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I have been averaging 68-69 mpg but last week I got 71. I updated to 15/42
sprockets, vortex clipons and predator rearsets to get me out of the wind. I am curious to see if if it comes out to 70-71 mpg next time. :D

slolane
March 26th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Great job bella250r!! :thumbup:

Live2ride
April 10th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I'm 250lbs and I've ridden 50 miles since I filled up earlier and so far the gas gauge is only down 1/8 :confused:. I know the gauge isn't exactly accurate but I'd love to get 400 miles per tank :). BTW, that's with all types of riding combined although I tend to ride around in 6th gear a lot. No mechanical mods at all. So if the gauge is correct I'm getting around 83 mpg, but I doubt it.

kkim
April 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM
the ninja 250 is noted for it's excellent gas mileage during the first 1/4 tank :D ...don't worry, the gas gauge will drop like a rock during the next 1/2 tank.

Live2ride
April 10th, 2011, 03:49 PM
the ninja 250 is noted for it's excellent gas mileage during the first 1/4 tank :D ...don't worry, the gas gauge will drop like a rock during the next 1/2 tank.

I guess I'll just have to fill it up after every 1/4 tank is gone :p

TheDuck
April 10th, 2011, 04:29 PM

Thats funny, mine is the complete opposite! 50 mi and its at the halfway mark! LOL! But I get about another 150mi before I fill up no challenging what is actually empty vs what the gauge says.

Live2ride
April 23rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Well I was getting about 55-60mpg before I shimmed the needles, I just filled up and calculated 45 mpg on my first tank after shimming :eek:. I have to admit that I did twist the throttle a lot more than usual and ran some 0-60's and a top speed run which lasted a good 5-10 minutes :o. I was riding about twice as hard as normal; this next tank will be a normal one to compare mpg.

setasai
April 23rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
Wow, I'm not sure how you guys are getting such great mileage. No matter what I do, mixture of city/highway I cant get more than 52mpg and on average am stuck at 50mpg pretty consistent. I'm beginning to wonder if you all have true ninja bikes that uses chakra from the rider instead of gas.

Live2ride
May 7th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I haven't gotten above 50mpg, but it's been consistently between 45-50 mpg's. I got about 3-5 mpg better before shimming but I don't see any possible way to get the advertised 60 mpg's. I've ridden tanks going wot a lot and others where I shifted as much as possible and I almost always shift up into 6th gear for any speeds above 30+ mph to save gas. my tire pressure is fine and I take care of my bike as best I can. I'm just guessing that my mpg might be influenced by my weight since I'm 250lbs. Sound right?