View Full Version : shifting problem/question

Sound Wave
February 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
when i shift up, first and second gear is fine. it positively clicks into gear. the problem i have is that sometimes 4th and 5th gear doesn't shift into gear. i lift my toe to shift, it feels like it shifted, although i don't get that notchy click, but it didn't shift gears. then i gotta try again and it usually works the second try.

when i rode ninjabrewers bike the other day, each shift had a firm click as i upshifted through the gears. i only rode it about a mile or so, but i didn't miss a gear change once.

does anyone know what could be causing the problem? my bike has been this way since day 1. this is my first bike so i thought it was supposed to be that way.

thanks for any help.

Alex
February 15th, 2009, 07:42 PM
First thing I'd check (because it's the easiest) is the clutch freeplay. There should be a small knob on your clutch lever. Make sure that there is a little (1 or 2 mm) of freeplay in the lever. There shouldn't be any more, and there shouldn't be much less. A misadjusted clutch can cause a bunch of different shifting issues.

If that turns out not to be the case, I'd then check technique. Make sure that after you upshift from 2nd to 3rd, you are not putting any pressure on the shift lever, and you've allowed it to come all the way back to center position. Sometime when people keep their toes underneath while shifting up through several gears, they don't let the shift lever return all the way, and that can cause the issue your describing.

Then, I'd work on adjusting the shift lever itself. There are two locknuts on the bar that connects from the lever to the shifter itself. If you loosen the locknuts, you can see how turning them lengthens and shortens that rod. You want it so when it is in the center position, it is as perpendicular as possible to the shifting rod itself. If it isn't perpendicular, the effort to upshift and downshift can be different than you'd expect, and cause some strange shifting behavior.

Finally, if it's still giving you fits, just take it to a dealer and explain the problem. It's still under warranty. Let them tell you if there's something wrong with it, and if there is they're on the hook to fix it. Good luck!

ninjabrewer
February 15th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I don't believe that it is his shifting method, his bike shifted much different than mine. I can't explain it, shifted softer, didn't take as much effort, something like that. mine "click""click""click". And his clutch engages earlier than mine, (hell, I choked it down expecting it to be like mine) but I know all clutches are different, like cars.

nb

Sound Wave
February 15th, 2009, 08:09 PM
thanks for the tips. i will go and check those two things out.

yeah, i rode chris' bike the exact same way as i do mine.

Alex
February 15th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Here's a great link (http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=921641&postcount=5) that shows what I was trying to say about the shift rod adjustment.

Not my original pic, but whoever put it together had the right idea:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=506

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 08:37 PM
cool drawing. :thumbup:

Sound Wave
February 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
thanks for that pic. i just finished working on my bike. i tried not to have to take off the fairing, but couldn't get around it.

my clutch play was 5 mm, so i adjusted it to about 2mm rode around on my parking level. not a good idea trying to shift with slippers on. seems better, but hard to tell because i couldn't go very fast.

gotta go back down to take another look at the rod itself, then i will go for a quick test ride on the street.

thanks again!!!

Sound Wave
February 15th, 2009, 10:46 PM
ok, well i got back from my test ride and some other errands...

it still isn't as "snik snik" as chris' but it does feel better. i only went for a 2 mile ride, but i think there is an improvement. 4th and 5th gear change still seem a bit soft but i didn't miss any gear changes. my 2nd gear shift is kind of loud now though... but that i don't mind.

also, i did adjust the shift rod. i got it as parallel to the ground as possible. still couldn't get it like the pic though. it pivots the shift lever up (further from the ground).

anyways, thanks for the help alex. i am pretty happy with the way it is now. :)

HKr1
February 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM
cool drawing. :thumbup:

Dont know how people shift with there lever flat like that. My foot doesnt move that far up :D

Alex
February 16th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I think the trick is to get the lever exactly how you want, while still making sure that the shift arm isn't completely out of whack. (but you probably knew that :D )

HKr1
February 16th, 2009, 05:46 PM
^ Yeah :) Some pics I see of peoples bikes, there shift lever is level with the peg...... Guess they lift there whole foot to shift?

Sound Wave
February 16th, 2009, 06:23 PM
while i did have to raise my foot higher to shift with the new position, it wasn't anything that felt awkward.

i didn't do a before and after rod-adjustment ride. so i don't know if raising the height of the shift lever helped. still, i think i will leave it like this and see how it goes.

i rode over 200 miles this weekend and i am a bit sore. not planning on riding again for a couple days.

Alex
February 16th, 2009, 06:25 PM
i rode over 200 miles this weekend and i am a bit sore.

:violin: :hurt: :happy90:

komohana
February 16th, 2009, 09:20 PM

:rotflmao:

...but 200 HAWAIIAN miles takes more outta someone...its...different.....like...doggie years vs human years cept in miles

:tape2: :smile: :rofl:

kkim
February 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM

...but 200 HAWAIIAN miles takes more outta someone...its...different.....like...doggie years vs human years cept in miles

I have a Hawaiian miles credit card. :D

jpnfrk
February 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I have a Hawaiian miles credit card. :D

I couldn't stop laughing when I read those comments... you guys are too funny!!
:jumping20::allhail::jumping20:

Sound Wave
February 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM
hey alex, better watch it man. as you can see, if you pick on one hawaiian, you pick on all of us! all ummm...... all 4 of us. hey, somebody go find ninjabrewer.
don't make us throw a pineapple at your or something. those things hurt you know. really prickly.
:karate::runaway3: :D

TrueFaith
February 17th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I notice you have a new 09 Ninja. A lot of people who bought 08 Ninjas last year were complaining about the same "false neutral" in the upper gears. I had the same problem on my 08. No "solution" was ever found and I really think this is a transmission "break-in" thing. Once I had a few thousand miles on the bike the incidence of false neutrals became less and less and I'm hoping switching to full synthetic Rotella T this spring will eliminate them entirely.

Sound Wave
February 17th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I notice you have a new 09 Ninja. A lot of people who bought 08 Ninjas last year were complaining about the same "false neutral" in the upper gears. I had the same problem on my 08. No "solution" was ever found and I really think this is a transmission "break-in" thing. Once I had a few thousand miles on the bike the incidence of false neutrals became less and less and I'm hoping switching to full synthetic Rotella T this spring will eliminate them entirely.
thanks. hopefully it will get better. although, at least from my short test ride, i didn't miss any gear changes. gonna try and take it for a longer ride later this week. i plan on eventually changing to synthetics too. maybe at 2000 miles.

ninjabrewer
February 17th, 2009, 08:05 PM
hey alex, better watch it man. as you can see, if you pick on one hawaiian, you pick on all of us! all ummm...... all 4 of us. hey, somebody go find ninjabrewer.
don't make us throw a pineapple at your or something. those things hurt you know. really prickly.
:karate::runaway3: :D

:yawn: huh??