View Full Version : Emergency Kit

jpnfrk
February 17th, 2009, 01:19 AM
As a gladiator preparing for battle I have been reading some crash anecdotes in this forum and other websites. Haven't found anything relating to an emergency kit so I thought this would be the perfect place for feedback. This is what I have so far:

Weatherproof flashlight with 9 LEDs
Bright red emergency poncho
Glowstick
Instant cold pack
Emergency blanket
Large Band-aids and gauze
Ibuprofen
Neosporin

I do plan to wear my gear all the time but that doesn't mean I won't get scraped here and there if I have a minor accident. Am I missing anything?

Alex
February 17th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Aerostich sells a number of different sizes of first aid kits right here (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/First-Aid--Safety-p-1-c-275.html); might be useful to go through the contents of their packages online to see if there's something else that you'd want to carry.

While having a kit along would never be considered a bad idea, I think you touched on a salient point when you mentioned "minor" accident. If you or someone you are riding with finds themselves in an accident, and you are able to provide care using a hand-held first aid kit, they probably would have been fine with or without the kit; it's more comfort than actual life-saving ability. Learning CPR and what to do at a motorcycle accident scene could also be useful. I think something like the SPoT (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9491) comes in handy if an accident were to unfortunately occur, and the most important thing is to get help on-site as quickly as possible. (Here's my 15 minutes of fame (http://findmespot.ca/en/spotlight/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31&Itemid=24) on the SPoT website)

This thread made me realize that we don't have a thread on ninjette.org yet about how to handle an accident scene, so I'll post one up right now...

kkim
February 17th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Something to take care of bee stings.

some emergency cash, say $20.

There many others depending on what you are preparing for and what type of riding you will be doing. Just realize, whatever you pack, it will never be enough.

Alex
February 17th, 2009, 01:31 AM
New sticky thread: Motorcycle Accident Scene Management (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13593).

headshrink
February 17th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Don't forget snake bites!

komohana
February 17th, 2009, 04:52 AM
:crash:

nani, your thread stirred up some thoughts and ideas on a good topic, and alex is ON IT, as always...

mahalo (hawaiian thanx) for bringing this up

:clap2:

BlueTyke
February 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I always carrying a small first aid kit in my purse (thats more like a backpack) and it always goes with me when I ride. It has the normal bandaids of various sizes and types, feme pads (yeah yeah but you never know when you may need it and they are a good blood obsorber too! Can't deny that!), glasses repair kit, sewing kit (and yes it has silk thread) antispetic toweletts, Iodine pads, my spare medical insurance card and auto insurance card and also chapstick. You would be amazed at what chapstick can do to roadrash. Cutting off the air to it helps ease the sting.

And while I do carry advil, excedren and midol in my purse/bag regularly they aren't in my actual kit.

I would also like to add that my kit is no larger than a 3X5 card though it is thicker for obvious reasons.

I also took part in a Motorcycle First Aid class...two years ago and am certified to perform CPR and First Aid. It cost me $45 I think... And I am glad I took it and even happier that I haven't had to put it to use. Thought it does remind me that I need to do a refresher just to practice.

OldGuy
February 17th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Alex and Sunny's comment on CPR and Advanced First Aid are right on. Not only do you learn a valuable skill but the training can really help you focus in a difficult situation. As a cycling coach for Team In Training I have to keep my certifications up to date.

The one item I see missing from kits that my many long distance cycle rides taught me is TP. Folded up you can get a lot in a small package and it doesn't have an expiration date. Some may laugh - until they are they ones in the middle of no-where asking for yours. Master Card won't work there :D

BlueTyke
February 17th, 2009, 10:01 AM
LOL you know I didn't think of that but then again I always travel with two bandannas... Granted not as biodegradable as TP but can be used in a bind. :D

OldGuy
February 17th, 2009, 10:28 AM
LOL you know I didn't think of that but then again I always travel with two bandannas... Granted not as biodegradable as TP but can be used in a bind. :D

And I've got a couple of bandannas that I wouldn't want to give up either.

kkim
February 17th, 2009, 11:06 AM
TP- I have some (unused!!) from some old MREs. Very compact and small to carry around. Like OG said CCs don't work in the middle of nowhere... maybe that $20 bill you stashed away???

HKr1
February 17th, 2009, 02:42 PM
^ lol

kkim
February 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
:pound:

get the look on the dog's face!!

OldGuy
February 17th, 2009, 02:53 PM
^ lol
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=744&d=1234906932
You want me to do what :runaway: :lalala:

komohana
February 18th, 2009, 06:10 AM
:happy130::lol::pound::rotflmao:

jpnfrk
February 22nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks everybody for the links, ideas and feedback in general. In the end I gathered most of the suggested items.

Right now I'm considering a gadget like the GPS locator Alex was suggesting, the SPot, but if anybody has a less expensive alternative, please let me know. My iPhone is not the 3G version so the locator on it isn't accurate all the time. :(

BlueTyke
February 23rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
I have a maping system on my computer. I don't have a password protection and I always leave my route up on my screen so my s/o can find it. Also I call and let him know I am still alive. Most of the times I can tell him where abouts I am. If he doesn't get a call or check text from me he texts me. Luckily we haven't had to see how long it takes for him to reaspond.

I also post up my route on forums like these, mainly incase someone wants to go with me, but also it lets them know that if I don't check in by the end of the day, something is wrong.

Also in my phone I have to ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers. My s/o, my mom (back in CA not that it will do much good but she does know most of my medical history), and my s/o's dad.

I find myself riding by myself a lot and it settles my mind knowing that people know where I am. My s/o was looking into the SPot for me but it is pricy and another gadget to carry. To bad Garmin didn't consider that when doing the Zumo. A GPS and a Tracker in one gadget would be awesome!

CRXTrek
February 23rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
You could add one of these...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=27474&postcount=11

BlueTyke
February 23rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
That... is pretty cool. Would they have access to a USB reader though...

Countrygirl
February 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Where do you store your first aid kid on your bike?

BlueTyke
February 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Mine is in my bag... Bag usually being my purse (it's a small backpack type one)

ninjabrewer
February 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM
TP- I have some (unused!!) from some old MREs. Very compact and small to carry around. Like OG said CCs don't work in the middle of nowhere... maybe that $20 bill you stashed away???

Not a bad idea, but get it from somewhere else. I've seen sandpaper with a finer grit. :rolleyes: After basic, whenever we were going to be "out there", I started carrying the good stuff from home. :thumbup:

nb

kkim
February 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM
well, I don't plan on using it on a regular basis and I figure at that point, if I do need it, anything is better than nothing. ask the bloodhound in the picture above. :lol:

Countrygirl
February 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM
So you all carry your emergency kit in a backpack? So every time you ride, you wear a backpack? Doesn't that get annoying?

Alex
February 27th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I have an emergency kit in the glovebox on my RT, but I typically don't ride with one on the ninjette. Just like you, I wonder where I'd keep it on our bikes if I did desire to have one at all times. I do always have a SPoT on any bike I'm on, though; it fits easily in the smallest of tankbags.

jpnfrk
February 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I was able to fit mine underneath the seat in a crevice that's facing the tail. Couldn't fit everything because the space is limited but at least got some of the basics in there.

The rest will have to go in the tank bag :D

BlueTyke
March 2nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
So you all carry your emergency kit in a backpack? So every time you ride, you wear a backpack? Doesn't that get annoying?

No. Not particularly.... Leme see if I can find a picture... This isn't a huge backpack...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/BlueLilTyke/08-08-09%20Backyard/DSC01126.jpg

I am wearing it there and a smaller camelback.

It is my day to day purse so I just keep everything in it when I go riding (with the exception of my book, I take that out.)

Taken just now-
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/BlueLilTyke/1236004044.jpg

Inside (the red thing is my kit, ignore the other items :shifty: they never leave my bag either)
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/BlueLilTyke/1236004045.jpg

Now though I have a Tarag Photo bag that is a backpack. It works pretty well for my D40 and I can put my laptop in it. I haven't tried riding with it yet (probably wouldn't take my laptop with me anyway.) But it will work for when I travel :) I am probably going to put together a kit for this pack so I don't have to switch it over

Countrygirl
March 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks Sunny. :)

Don't you feel that the wind pulls against the backpack?

BlueTyke
March 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
Nope. Wind usually hits me first. I am not exactally small.. And it's small enough that if I tuck down the wind just bounces off it...

jpnfrk
March 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hmmm maybe I'll ride with my backpack sometime, for now I'll just leave it magnetically attached to the tank... hope I don't forget it someday :lol: