View Full Version : Now I am Bike-less AND Car-less!

CaliGirl
February 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
a very sad day in the life of CaliGirl :(

grandmaster
February 18th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I'm sorry that sucks....did you get in an accident? Are you Okay? Whats wrong with the bike?

sharky nrk
February 18th, 2009, 08:51 PM
that stinks - at least your ok - bikes and cars can be replaced but people can't

kkim
February 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM
oh, crap! :( what happened??? you okay?

CaliGirl
February 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I am okay. Just very sore....maybe sprained my wrist. Doctor's appointment tomorrow to double check. I was driving to work, minding my business and a stupid BMW decided it wanted to cut across 4 lanes of a main street at 9am morning traffic...

He was found liable, so his insurance should cover all expenses and damages, but who knows how long it will take to repair my car (if it's repairable) and in the mean time I am carless.

here's his car.

kkim
February 18th, 2009, 09:16 PM
get your insurance to go after his insurance company to get you a rental while yours is being repaired. It will be covered under his liability insurance, I believe.

Doctor's appointment is a good idea. Don't be surprised if your neck starts hurting, too.

Alex
February 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM
His insurance company should cover a rental car for you ASAP. If you need a car today, rent a car and start sending them the bill.

(this assumes that you don't have rental car coverage on your own insurance already, which would be even easier)

EDIT: @&*#(@*&(# you Kelly, I knew I should have hit post after the 1st sentence, that second sentence cost me! :rotflmao: Anyway, ditto. :))

CaliGirl
February 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM
get your insurance to go after his insurance company to get you a rental while yours is being repaired. It will be covered under his liability insurance, I believe.

Doctor's appointment is a good idea. Don't be surprised if your neck starts hurting, too.

His insurance company should cover a rental car for you ASAP. If you need a car today, rent a car and start sending them the bill.

(this assumes that you don't have rental car coverage on your own insurance already, which would be even easier)

EDIT: @&*#(@*&(# you Kelly, I knew I should have hit post after the 1st sentence, that second sentence cost me! :rotflmao: Anyway, ditto. :))

I unfortunately do not have rental car coverage, and even if I did, I would not want to use it as it is his fault. Tomorrow I will speak to his claims adjuster and tell them I want a car ASAP. I just don't want to have to pay upfront and then deal with reimbursements. That takes forever and I just paid for my Spring semester tuition and books so I am pretty much tapped out.

He was a real ass too. He didn't ask if I was okay, didn't say sorry. NOTHING.

kkim
February 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Then make sure your car takes forever to get fixed at the most expensive shop you can find. That will drive his insurance rates up when his company gets the bill for the repairs and the rental.

On top of that, he'll have to cover your medical costs... you sure your neck's not hurting?? :D

Take some aspirin or pain reliever and get a good nights rest.

maxedpenny
February 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
It good your ok:D. Well except for you serious life long neck pains.:D And the severe emotional trauma.:thumbup: On a lighter side look at the license plate of the car next to his. HUBER. That made me laugh so hard. I dont know why.

ninjabrewer
February 18th, 2009, 09:54 PM
That is a real bummer, but I am glad to hear that you are ok.

nb

kkim
February 18th, 2009, 09:59 PM
CG,

what type of car do you own? any other pics of the damage? if it's a front wheel drive car, you might want to have them total it, if possible.

Alex
February 18th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Looks like a last-gen Honda Accord (or Acura TL) to me, but the wheel looks more Accord than TL. And yup, that will require quite a bit of work to get the drivetrain all sorted out, but it's hard to tell if this would be a total or not from the pictures.

EDIT: Caligirl confirmed below that it's a 2008 Camry.

miks
February 18th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Good to hear that you're okay. Hope it all turns out sweet and doesn't take too much time.

Nemy
February 18th, 2009, 11:23 PM
damn. good to hear everything's ok. But I don't think you're carless... just gotta hammer out the little stuff and the rest should buff right out :rolleyes:

NJD022588
February 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Looks like a Camry to me.

Did you drive to a parking spot after this happened? Glad to hear you're ok.

VeX
February 18th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Damn! No bueno :( The past 12 months has been rough for you.

So the car is pretty toast. What about you? (I don't believe anything typed. You'd better post a picture)

:evil6:

Cling
February 18th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Where are you in Cali? The drivers here down south are completely friggen insane, I don't think 80% of these people understand that they are driving 3,000lb's of moving death...

VeX
February 18th, 2009, 11:48 PM
She lives somewhere up in L.A. I recall. I'd love to go riding with her, but she's been bikeless for damn near 6 months after some ass-clown "bump drafted" her through a stop light and :( Yeah you really have to be a defensive driver/rider in Southern Cali!

zartan
February 19th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Sorry Caligirl, no fair. Take care of that wrist.

komohana
February 19th, 2009, 04:13 AM
sorry about the misfortunes you've been suffering of late, yet am glad you're alright. heal yer body and keep your mind firm with good spirits....and anything else that helps

:angel:

conchwanab
February 19th, 2009, 04:48 AM
WOW glad to hear that your ok!!sucks about your car and your bike!!I hope insurance b.s all gets sorted out as well.Make the idiot pay for his lack of respect for others on the road!!!

HKr1
February 19th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Bummer girl :(

On top of that, he'll have to cover your medical costs... you sure your neck's not hurting?? :D

:pop2:

camaroz1985
February 19th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Glad you are ok, but as Kelly said they might total it. It looks like a Camry and the damage looks pretty substantial, so my guess is they will.

CC Cowboy
February 19th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Cali want a ride? I have some candy too. No wait, you said you hurt your wrist, nevermind.

xTKx
February 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Whoa CG!! :eek: Glad you're ok. Hopefully his insurance company will get everything taken care of in a timely manner.

BlueTyke
February 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I am glad you are okay! Sucks about your ride though! Keep us updated!

KJohnson21
February 19th, 2009, 09:10 AM
:drivingcrash: Yikes! Not fun...

Glad you're okay (check that wrist), let us know if you need any help. :grouphug:

OldGuy
February 19th, 2009, 09:14 AM
CG sorry to hear about the accident but glad no one was seriously injured. I would imagine that there is a police report on file given the level of damage both vehicles sustained so the facts should be on the books and not changed.

From another thread on accidents I think you can see that trying to interface with the other guys insurance company on your own is NOT a good idea. Get your insurance company to run interference for you. If he is at fault they will go after his company for the $$ and should not impact you. My experience has been it is more about the specific agent you have than the company.

Let us know what the Dr. has to say.

Sailariel
February 19th, 2009, 10:02 AM
C.G. Glad you are OK. I think that Don gave you some damn good advice. I don`t think it will get better with a lot of these overpowered luxury cars around. We had a Bimmer and a Benzer race each other on I-95. They were clocked in excess of 130. Both were arrested and charged with Felony Reckless Driving. They should see some jail time.

CC Cowboy
February 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Alex, they just clocked a girl yesterday on I-95 down here doing 120MPH. Cops followed her and shot her dead. Don't speed in Florida (at least not if you're out of your mind and have a gun).

00v_Lucky
February 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
as much as I am against shop and crash frauders. kkim is right. get this guy a big hole in his pocket. If you can't change his attitude, change his bank account's numbers :)

ManyCavies
February 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]I am okay. Just very sore....maybe sprained my wrist. Doctor's appointment tomorrow to double check.

Make sure you tell the doctor about your wrist right from the start because about 20 years ago a kid ran a stop sign and t-boned me, well my wrists didn't hurt at first then my fingers became numb. Turns out I suffered carpal tunnel from holding the steering wheel tightly at the time of impact, saw it coming and tensed up. Any how their insurance co. keep telling me it was prexisting. Took 5 years and surgery to get the numbness out. Still not 100% and never will be.

jpnfrk
February 19th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Glad you're OK, hope everything works out with that brain-dead BMV driver (rams into you and doesn't even ask if you're OK- ge'ez).

aloh
February 20th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Dang, Im glad you made it out alright. Crappy socal drivers are the worst. I hope you get back to 100% soon

CG,

what type of car do you own? any other pics of the damage? if it's a front wheel drive car, you might want to have them total it, if possible.

Looks like a Toyota Camry to me, so that would make it FWD

noche_caliente
February 20th, 2009, 07:33 PM
oh sweetie! I am SO sorry! If I wasn't on the other side of the country, I'd do what I could for you! You have my email if there's anything I *can* do! I have a discover cash-back thing coming - maybe we could get you a rental car covered for a day or two?

workdaddy
February 21st, 2009, 08:52 AM
CG... So sorry for the mess of the past few months you have had! I bought my wifey an '08 pathfinder... 2 weeks after it came off the show room floor some lady rammed into us. We made her insurance pay for a rental.... milked it as long as we could. ended up being like two months and we went threw multiple rental cars just to try them out. (We had to wait for dealer to get parts for the pathfinder ~ Too new did not have parts in stock)

But make sure you are good... like they say things can be replaced, but bodies need to be fixed... and I would claim hurt back too :) you could get some free back massages!!!!

Good Luck with it all and get feeling better.

CaliGirl
February 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kinds words and concern. So far as the doc can tell, still waiting on xrays to confirm-I have a fractured wrist, and some serious whip lash....

By the way, it is an 08 Camry.

Where are you in Cali? The drivers here down south are completely friggen insane, I don't think 80% of these people understand that they are driving 3,000lb's of moving death...

Living in Burbank at the moment. And yes, people are stupid when driving.

Cali want a ride? I have some candy too. No wait, you said you hurt your wrist, nevermind.
I like candy :p

CG sorry to hear about the accident but glad no one was seriously injured. I would imagine that there is a police report on file given the level of damage both vehicles sustained so the facts should be on the books and not changed.

From another thread on accidents I think you can see that trying to interface with the other guys insurance company on your own is NOT a good idea. Get your insurance company to run interference for you. If he is at fault they will go after his company for the $$ and should not impact you. My experience has been it is more about the specific agent you have than the company.

Let us know what the Dr. has to say.
Yeah, his insurance is really playing games. The claims adjuster called me the day it happened, left me a VM, I called back 15 minutes later and left him a message. He never called me back. Since then I have called 6 times, with no return calls. I now have a lawyer :thumbup:

Make sure you tell the doctor about your wrist right from the start because about 20 years ago a kid ran a stop sign and t-boned me, well my wrists didn't hurt at first then my fingers became numb. Turns out I suffered carpal tunnel from holding the steering wheel tightly at the time of impact, saw it coming and tensed up. Any how their insurance co. keep telling me it was prexisting. Took 5 years and surgery to get the numbness out. Still not 100% and never will be.

That's exactly what I did...I gripped the steering wheel too tightly and locked my knees to brace for the impact. Worse thing I could have done, but it's instinct I suppose.

CG... So sorry for the mess of the past few months you have had! I bought my wifey an '08 pathfinder... 2 weeks after it came off the show room floor some lady rammed into us. We made her insurance pay for a rental.... milked it as long as we could. ended up being like two months and we went threw multiple rental cars just to try them out. (We had to wait for dealer to get parts for the pathfinder ~ Too new did not have parts in stock)

But make sure you are good... like they say things can be replaced, but bodies need to be fixed... and I would claim hurt back too :) you could get some free back massages!!!!

Good Luck with it all and get feeling better.

I don't have to claim it, everything hurts. Doc says there's some lumbar strain. Whatever that means. Deep tissue massages FTW!

oh sweetie! I am SO sorry! If I wasn't on the other side of the country, I'd do what I could for you! You have my email if there's anything I *can* do! I have a discover cash-back thing coming - maybe we could get you a rental car covered for a day or two?
You're so sweet. I appreciate it, really. So far, I don't really need to drive, and can't as I am unable to really turn side to side and look over my shoulder. I'm going to try to go back to work Monday, but I'll have someone drop me off. Still going to get a rental car though. I;m thinking something convertible and fast :D

CaliGirl
February 22nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Oh yeah, the preliminary estimate for repairs was $6k. I don't see how it is that little, but that was just a visual estimate as I had not signed any papers for them to touch it. I assume it will be a few g's more, but I doubt it will get totaled out as Camry hold their value rather well.

CaliGirl
February 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Damn! No bueno :( The past 12 months has been rough for you.

So the car is pretty toast. What about you? (I don't believe anything typed. You'd better post a picture)

:evil6:

Ha ha, very slick of you.....:rolleyes:

kkim
February 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Oh yeah, the preliminary estimate for repairs was $6k. I don't see how it is that little, but that was just a visual estimate as I had not signed any papers for them to touch it. I assume it will be a few g's more, but I doubt it will get totaled out as Camry hold their value rather well.

who did the estimate? their adjuster or yours? have an estimate done at the local toyota dealership, then see how much damage was done. don't sign anything until you are satisfied with the settlement. once you sign, you give up any position to bargain any further. be sure they are going to use toyota factory parts and not some third world knockoffs... you would be surprised.

you should not be calling their insurance company, that's what your insurance company should be doing. you pay them for this service when you pay your premium. your main focus should be on healing, not the car crap.

good luck... wish there were more we could do than just cheer from the sidelines and offer advice.
:cheer2: :gossip:

Kurosaki
February 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Man, my neck hurts just reading this thread.

Make sure you tell his insurance company this. I want a piece of this action too.

It sucks.. but you weren't at fault. So you'll be taken care of. It just takes time... But get your rental and no need to stress too much.

CaliGirl
February 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
So I just got word today that the new estimate for repair is $9433.02...I am very surprised they are not going to just total it out. I am trying to figure out what number they might use to determine value as I know it has to be over a certain % to be totaled out. Oh yeah, and it's going to take 6 weeks to repair! All OEM Toyota parts according to the repair shop. I haven't gone it to see the estimate, so I don't think it is final. At least they got me a rental car today.... ::sigh:: but I miss my car...and my stereo system :(

noche_caliente
February 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this hon!

kkim
February 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM
the value to total differs from company to company, but it's somewhere about 70-80% of the wholesale value of the car.

tough break, kiddo. I would plan to sell the car once repaired, if I were you.

Kurosaki
February 24th, 2009, 11:44 PM
If it was me, I would request the shop make sure the repairs are enough to warrant totalling it.

Off the record of course.:director:

jpnfrk
February 26th, 2009, 09:15 PM
With so much to repair, there's a slight chance that something might be overlooked and break later on as a result of the impact even though it looked fine before. Be careful.