View Full Version : We got buried today

Sailariel
February 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Been out three times today to clear away 20 inches of wet snow. The snow blower earned its keep. Tomorrow I`ll have to shovel off the boat. The weight of all that snow will bring her down considerably on her lines. We are scheduled for another couple days of snow--hopefully this will be it. Our post light in front of the house is level with the snow. The berms around the driveways are six feet. This winter has been a bear.

OldGuy
February 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM
:worthlesswithoutpic:

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. Hope you have a warm spell coming soon.

kkim
February 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Snow??? whazzat?? :noidea:

c_anglada
February 19th, 2009, 07:55 PM
that sucks... i got 3" the other night and was crying about it.

Alex
February 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
So this wouldn't be the thread to talk about my 300+ mile ride to Coalinga and back today in 60+ degree sunny weather? :D I did see a sprinkling of snow on the mountain tops near Clear Creek, if it makes anyone feel better. ;)

kkim
February 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
60 degrees??? brrr.....

darkknight49
February 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
60 degrees??? brrr.....

haha, you are spoiled out there my friend.

ninjabrewer
February 19th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I would have to agree with you, this winter seems to have been really bad, more of that white stuff than usual. Always seem to hearing on the news about another major storm moving across the nation.

nb

ScraitT
February 19th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Its supposed to dip down into the 50's tonight :-( No way in hell I'm going out of my house until the sun warms things up tomorrow morning!

00v_Lucky
February 20th, 2009, 02:36 AM
haha, you are spoiled out there my friend.

don't forget about wind chill. :p

TrueFaith
February 20th, 2009, 07:23 AM
We got the bottom edge of that storm here in Mass., Alex. Only resulted in 4" of snow this time, which will hopefully be melted away before the next storm comes in, which may be as soon as Sunday.
I don't know if it's global warming or what, but if we're going to keep having winters this stormy I may have to trade in the Ninja for a Ski-Doo. :(

OldGuy
February 20th, 2009, 09:10 AM
We got the bottom edge of that storm here in Mass., Alex. Only resulted in 4" of snow this time, which will hopefully be melted away before the next storm comes in, which may be as soon as Sunday.
I don't know if it's global warming or what, but if we're going to keep having winters this stormy I may have to trade in the Ninja for a Ski-Doo. :(

Nooo - better idea. With the knowledge and innovation we have on this site we come up with a mod-package that adapts a sky to the front wheel (something like the out-rigger used by amputees) and a small snowmobile belt drive that the rear tire supports (you get all the suspension work) but you re-route the chain to drive the belt and you've got all six gears.

May have to move this to the Farkles section though. :rolleyes:

Sailariel
February 20th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Don, I think you are losing it. Too much winter. We got another four inches overnight which had to be dealt with. If we get any more, I`ll have to hire a front loader to move the stuff so that I have room to put more. Took three hours to shovel the deck and cabin top of the boat. At least there you can shovel it into the water. It was a two Scotch night.

OldGuy
February 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
:cheers: I hear you my man. :drinkpals:

So which part of the mod don't you like the sky or the snowmobile belt?

Sailariel
February 20th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Don, Actually, I like living in Maine a lot. Things here are not extreme. We don`t get tornados, hurricaines are usually blown out by the time they get here, and we have much less crime. There are people here who don`t lock their doors. Everybody knows everybody and there is a real sense of community. During the winter we socialize and enjoy less traffic and no lines at our restaurants. In the summer, all this changes with the influx of tourists. Then we spend time on our boats , riding mororcycles and bicycles, and enjoying a great but fairly short season. A lot of people winter in Florida. We did that with the boat for about ten years, but now have a house and other responsibilities. I also have a bike shop which is open primarily in the winter. In the summer I only work on racing machines by appointment. I tune the recreational folks in the winter. With me it is strictly a part time business. I primarily like working on racing bikes and really love restoring classics. I restored a 40 year old ItalVega and upgraded it with 105 components for my wife. The bike is a head turner with its hand brazed lugs and classic Italian Lines (even though the frame was built in Japan with Tange Chromemolly) ItalVega outsourced in those days. It is the same frame as the Bianchi Corsa which was the bike to beat in the Tour de France back then. With the 105 Group, the bike really screams. Wife is still afraid of it. She won`t try my Merckx. We both ride 56cm bikes. Don, Winter will be over soon. I love your new SE. In a few weeks we will all be riding again. Had my three month check on Tuesday and am still in remission. That yellow bracelet really works.

OldGuy
February 20th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Don, Actually, I like living in Maine a lot. Things here are not extreme. . . . Had my three month check on Tuesday and am still in remission. That yellow bracelet really works.

The 3 month check is the best news I've heard.

We lived in New London for ~6 years and really enjoyed the time there. If we had to pick a place it would most likely be the San Jose area. Of course that could be because that is were 2/3 kids and the grand daughter are but hey ...

Stay warm, spring is coming.

PS I love you description of your wife's bike. I build my Serotta up with 105 components and love it. I just hope I can get back into shape this Spring and take the the long rides. I love those 30-40 milers after work on a nice summer night.

TrueFaith
February 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Time to gas up the snow blower again. Big storm heading this way (and then up to Maine) this Sunday! Weeee....this is so much fun!! :happy50:

CC Cowboy
February 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM
I was talking to the Chief of Police (Media Mike Jr., if you know Media Mike Sr. from Portland ME.) yesterday at the gym. I was telling him I think this year "Bike Week" should be huge due to the bad winter up north. He said I was the third person to tell him that yesterday. As a matter of fact the bikes started showing up for speed week. If you guys are tired of snow and cold you should be headed down to FL with the other 750,000 bikers to enjoy temperatures in the 70s and 80s and a good time. I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it.

Sailariel
February 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
The 3 month check is the best news I've heard.

We lived in New London for ~6 years and really enjoyed the time there. If we had to pick a place it would most likely be the San Jose area. Of course that could be because that is were 2/3 kids and the grand daughter are but hey ...

Stay warm, spring is coming.

PS I love you description of your wife's bike. I build my Serotta up with 105 components and love it. I just hope I can get back into shape this Spring and take the the long rides. I love those 30-40 milers after work on a nice summer night.

Don, Only two more three month checks and I will have 5 years in remission. The reason that they do three month checks is that should the cancer return, it comes back with a vengence. Seems to be a trait of Agent Orange caused cancers. The good news is that after five years of remission there is a 98% chance that I am done with it. Checks then go every six months. Yes, San Jose is beautiful--bicycle friendly and MC friendly. Our daughter lives there and loves it. Glad you like the 105 group. I just finished modifying mine by swapping out the plastic bushed jockey wheels to aluminum with needle bearings. The difference in shifting is dramatic. The Serotta is a beautiful bike to do 30 and 40 milers with. Seems like the high line bikes don`t beat you up as much. The difference between my Merckx and Fuji is like night and day.

TrueFaith
February 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
I was talking to the Chief of Police (Media Mike Jr., if you know Media Mike Sr. from Portland ME.) yesterday at the gym. I was telling him I think this year "Bike Week" should be huge due to the bad winter up north. He said I was the third person to tell him that yesterday. As a matter of fact the bikes started showing up for speed week. If you guys are tired of snow and cold you should be headed down to FL with the other 750,000 bikers to enjoy temperatures in the 70s and 80s and a good time. I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it.

Damn. I should have thought about heading down to Bike Week about 6 snow storms ago. My luck I'd get socked in at Logan Airport for 3 days because of snow and end up spending all my money at the bar.
I think I'm doing it for sure next year. Even if I have to cruise the Daytona strip in a Honda Fit rental. It would be great to be able to ride down to it with a few bikes, but with this winter we'd end up like the Donner Party somewhere in the vacinity of South Of The Border.

Enjoy yourself and don't get arrested...or appear in a Girls Gone Wild video that you have no memory of...:drinkpals:

camaroz1985
February 22nd, 2009, 07:39 AM
Sounds like a good thing I didn't come up there then. Although if I got stuck I might not want to leave haha.

TrueFaith
February 22nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
Just sitting here this morning waiting for the next round in this Winter From Hell. Supposed to start snowing any minute with 6-8" on the ground come Monday morning. This is really getting old...

Sounds like you better run out for another bottle of scotch, Alex. We may be getting 6-8", but they're predicting massive amounts of snow up your way from this storm. :smow:

Sailariel
February 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
True Faith, No need to get a bottle of Scotch---the Single Malt lasts a long time since one drinks it neat and in small quantities. This upcoming storm looks like a bear. The snow blower has plenty of gas and is good to go. I do worry about getting down to the boat and clearing the snow off the deck and cabin top. The weight of that much snow can drop the boat down on her lines and create a siphon situation with the bilge pumps. Worst case, I can always walk down with my plastic shovel. I only have one valve open and that is to the automatic pump. I still like to check things daily. I do have the feeling that this winter will not last much longer.

TrueFaith
February 23rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Dodged the bullet! Only an inch of snow actually landed here instead of the 6-8" they were forecasting. It all went to Maine, where they're measuring the snowfall in feet instead of inches. More fun for Alex! ;)

noche_caliente
February 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
We didn't even get a inch, but it was enough for schools to be on a delay - go figure
Posted via Mobile Device

Sailariel
February 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Wayne, We got two feet of heavy wet stuff. I have two driveways with three curb cuts. The plow left three feet at the end of the drives. We have a tenant-so that drive gets done first. They had three foot drifts. Then it was off to our circular drive--no place to put the snow. We already have 20" down that had not thawed--ended up doing a lot of moving, repeating sweeps, etc. I started out at 8:30 this morning and stopped at 5:30 with a one hour break for lunch and a change of dry clothes. Used three tanks of fuel for the snow blower. It started snowing again when I stopped. I still have not cleared the two decks or the way to the front door. Everybody comes in through the door between the two garage doors. I`ll probably put in at least three hours at the house and three hours shoveling off the boat. Hopefully this nightmare winter will end soon.

CC Cowboy
February 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
I hit the White Eagle yesterday for the free BBQ. If it is any indication of "Bike Week" we are in for a huge one. Over 1000 bikes at the Eagle and "Bike Week" doesn't start for another week. It might be the weather (upper 70s for the week) but I am seeing bikes everywhere already.

I think I might have to sell the snow shovel. I might never get to use it again. Any offers?

Mista Bob
February 23rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/mistabob/IMAGE_051.jpg
Winter has really sucked here too...
Usually here you can ride somewhat frequently during winter as it will get quite warm often (mostly thanks to chinooks).
But not this time.

TrueFaith
February 24th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Wayne, We got two feet of heavy wet stuff. I have two driveways with three curb cuts. The plow left three feet at the end of the drives. We have a tenant-so that drive gets done first. They had three foot drifts. Then it was off to our circular drive--no place to put the snow. We already have 20" down that had not thawed--ended up doing a lot of moving, repeating sweeps, etc. I started out at 8:30 this morning and stopped at 5:30 with a one hour break for lunch and a change of dry clothes. Used three tanks of fuel for the snow blower. It started snowing again when I stopped. I still have not cleared the two decks or the way to the front door. Everybody comes in through the door between the two garage doors. I`ll probably put in at least three hours at the house and three hours shoveling off the boat. Hopefully this nightmare winter will end soon.

That story reminded me of how I spent the "Blizzard of '78" down here. Hasn't anyone started building one of those 100' snowmen up that way yet? If not it sounds like you have a good enough supply of snow to start one! :p

TrueFaith
February 24th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I hit the White Eagle yesterday for the free BBQ. If it is any indication of "Bike Week" we are in for a huge one. Over 1000 bikes at the Eagle and "Bike Week" doesn't start for another week. It might be the weather (upper 70s for the week) but I am seeing bikes everywhere already.

I think I might have to sell the snow shovel. I might never get to use it again. Any offers?

You keep rubbing our noses in that 70-degree weather down there and I'll tell you what you can do with your snow shovel..:squint:

kkim
February 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM
You keep rubbing our noses in that 70-degree weather down there and I'll tell you what you can do with your snow shovel..:squint:

yeah... the nerve of that guy!! :rolleyes:

Sailariel
February 24th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Right now we have 46" of snow on the ground. The berms around the driveway are around seven feet. We can just see over them with the Suburban. A lot of people are without power--about 150,000. We have been lucky since our home is located about 100 meters from the only shopping centre in town and on the trunk line to the hospital. We have only had three short outages since 2004. There is no more snow predicted for a while. They expect rain on Thursday or Friday followed by a thaw. We will need to make sure that the end of our foundation drain does not clog with ice causing a flood in our cellar. The next few days should be interesting. Whatever happened to global warming? Our foundation drain feeds a small pond in our yard. Thank God our house is uphill from the pond. It will really fill up fast if we get a rapid thaw.

OldGuy
February 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Right now we have 46" of snow on the ground.

Alex I can only imagine what you are going through right now.

The last time I saw that much snow on the ground was when we lived in Idaho Falls, ID in 1971-1974. Blizzard came through on Halloween Night and we never saw the ground until April 23 the next year. Snow drifts got so tall in the back yard it was hard to believe. We were in the living room one Sunday reading the paper and heard a dog barking at the front door. We looked at each other and said "that sounds like Taffy (our basset) but . . ." Went to the door and there she was. She had walked up the drift by the fence, over the top and and took an unsupervised walk.

Are you sure you have enough Scotch?

Sailariel
February 24th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Don, Got two bottles of Glenlivet--should last about a year. I used to live in Idaho as well--Bonner`s Ferry--66-70. Did Vietnam 69-70. Lots of snow and COLD. Came to Syacuse NY in 70 to regroup from the war and a divorce (not many Nam Vets had their marriage survive--am seeing the same thing with Iraq--Afganistan) Anyway, Syracuse averages 200" of snow per winter. They have a pretty good University and I had a pretty good job. Left Syracuse in 91 and lived on our boat till 2004. We are now landbound taking care of my wife`s 86 year old father who has a blood cancer and does chemo every other week. His doctor also put him on steroids which makes him euphoric and a touch irrational. We can`t really leave him alone because he may do something dangerous--one of us has to be home at at all times. He wanted to run the snow blower the other day. Not a very good idea.

OldGuy
February 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM
As my late mother would say, you and your wife will have some jewels in your crowns for the love and compassion you show.

The one thing I have found about this site is that you get to know someone more as a person than just a name and with that comes a caring and sharing that is painful when we can't reach out and help or just give a hug.

Take care and stay warm my friend.

ninjabrewer
February 24th, 2009, 03:03 PM
HOLY COW, that is a lot of white stuff. I was stationed at Fort Drum, about 90 miles or so north of Syracuse, 89-91, most snow I had ever seen, sometimes coming down 3" or so an hour. About 6-8 of us would always park at the back of the parking lot of the barracks, (single at the time) and we would park in the same spot pretty much all winter, by Apr, all the spots looked like revetments for acft in a war zone, the snow was piled as high as the cars. The only place that I know where ice was on the inside of the car windshield and the snot would freeze in your nose, made it a major pain to pick. :wacko:

On a serious note, I can imagine what you and family are going through, before my father passed from lung cancer in 2000, I had just got back from Korea and was at Ft Campbell,KY and went home as much as I could. I remember........

nb

Sailariel
February 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM
As my late mother would say, you and your wife will have some jewels in your crowns for the love and compassion you show.

The one thing I have found about this site is that you get to know someone more as a person than just a name and with that comes a caring and sharing that is painful when we can't reach out and help or just give a hug.

Take care and stay warm my friend.

Don, I have to agree. This forum is much more than just our love of the sport. There are some real people on the other end of the keyboard. When I feel down, I still call the 24 Hour Hot Line run by The Lance Armstrong Foundation. That is the most incredible Cancer Organization run by a very incredible person. I send them a contribution every year. Lance has been an inspiration. His accomplishments are fantastic, and what he has overcome by sheer willpower is absolutely phenomenal. He is a person I really admire and respect. Can you believe he finished 7 in the Tour of California and rode Domestique for Levi Leipheimer? Absolutely fantastic! There are also some really super people on this forum, like yourself, Alex, Kelly, Sunny, Ryan, Wayne, and lots more. I hope this forum stays people oriented. There was a bicycle forum I was very active in which recently got infected by a bunch of "flamers" I had to quit. As much as I love bicycling, it was too much to take. I don`t think that Alex would let this forum suffer a similar fate. Too bad we don`t live closer. I would love to put my wrenches on your Serotta. It is tuned right when you forget there is a chain on your bike. I am working on applying the same to the Ninja--chain allignment AND wheel alignment together. That is my challenge for 2009 along with staying in remission. Take Care and stay warm--It`s quite cold your way as well. Your cyber-friend, Alex

TrueFaith
February 25th, 2009, 11:14 AM
yeah... the nerve of that guy!! :rolleyes:

:Twofinger: That's for the Peanut Gallery that lives in Paradise. :D

Lance Armstrong is also a personal hero of mine. I remember first hearing the buzz about a brash new rider from Texas in the bicycling mags years ago. Then to watch him come up over the years until he completely owned the sport of bicycle racing was truly amazing. I was just getting to the point where I thought Greg LeMond coming back from being shot and winning the Tour was the greatest sports story I'd ever witnessed. Pretty soon Armstrong had everybody saying "Greg who?"
I've never seen anything as inspirational and exciting as that second Tour win of his in the mountains, fighting for every inch as he was constantly being spit on and harrassed by the locals. Or the way he lapped the top seeds in the time trials. The man is the most single-minded and dedicated athlete the world has ever seen. The fact that he did it all after beating testicular cancer puts his story in a category beyond legend.

Sailariel
February 25th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Wayne, Lance not only had Testicular Cancer, he had Brain and Lung Cancer as well. His book "It`s Not About The Bike" is one of those books that one reads in one night--It is not a short book--it grabs you and won`t let go. It is amazing to see him in action. He now has the Giro in his cross hairs, and the next big one is The Tour. I hope he wins both. He is now the oldest rider in pro cycling. If he wins the Giro, and another classic, he will be up there with Eddie Merckx.

Sailariel
February 25th, 2009, 12:48 PM
HOLY COW, that is a lot of white stuff. I was stationed at Fort Drum, about 90 miles or so north of Syracuse, 89-91, most snow I had ever seen, sometimes coming down 3" or so an hour. About 6-8 of us would always park at the back of the parking lot of the barracks, (single at the time) and we would park in the same spot pretty much all winter, by Apr, all the spots looked like revetments for acft in a war zone, the snow was piled as high as the cars. The only place that I know where ice was on the inside of the car windshield and the snot would freeze in your nose, made it a major pain to pick. :wacko:

On a serious note, I can imagine what you and family are going through, before my father passed from lung cancer in 2000, I had just got back from Korea and was at Ft Campbell,KY and went home as much as I could. I remember........

nb
Chris, Were you in the 10Th Mountain Division? I always have to chuckle when I think of Ft. Drum. When I got air evaced from Nam in 70, the supply Sgt. sent my belongings to my parent`s house in Syracuse. In the baggage was my aid bag containing a box of Morphine Syrettes, a red, green, and white smoke grenade. The Morphine had a DF with it stating the syringe count and bearing my signature. I got in my car and drove to Ft. Drum and turned in the Morphine and DF. This young Lt. says to me, "Sergeant do you have any idea how much paperwork you have generated" I sort of grinned (was a civilian) and said "Yes". I think that I laughed all the way home. I was with the 173Rd Airborne Bde.(Sep.)

OldGuy
February 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Wayne and Alex have said it all. I don't think you have to be a cyclist or cancer survivor to understand what Lance has done. This isn't to say he is the only one that has done it, just that he is currently the one person that is know internationally and is carrying the message of hope for all cancer patients.

ninjabrewer
February 26th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Chris, Were you in the 10Th Mountain Division? I always have to chuckle when I think of Ft. Drum. When I got air evaced from Nam in 70, the supply Sgt. sent my belongings to my parent`s house in Syracuse. In the baggage was my aid bag containing a box of Morphine Syrettes, a red, green, and white smoke grenade. The Morphine had a DF with it stating the syringe count and bearing my signature. I got in my car and drove to Ft. Drum and turned in the Morphine and DF. This young Lt. says to me, "Sergeant do you have any idea how much paperwork you have generated" I sort of grinned (was a civilian) and said "Yes". I think that I laughed all the way home. I was with the 173Rd Airborne Bde.(Sep.)

Yes I was, back in '89-'91, before the pentagon remembered they had a division there, I left just before they started their world tour. As for the stuff that got sent home, today, to get out of theater, your bags are xrayed, searched and xrayed again. There was a few that brought home some things that really startled the local populace, ie grenades, rounds and other kinds of contraband. It is that way no matter if you are leaving for good, or on R & R leave. When you are packing up your gear and equipment, customs comes by and inspects EVERYTHING that is packed, we had personnel equipment, our bags got emptied and everything was searched. (What is hilarious is when a female forgets about where she packed her "toy" and it comes out in front of EVERYBODY.) One of the guys I worked with at Eustis, now retired, mentioned that there was an investigation concerning one of the containers his unit, Ft Hood, used on the initial invasion and brought there equipment home afterwards. Somebody found where the inner wall had been removed, cut outs in the insulation for AK-47's and the inner wall reinstalled.
Everybody that had anything remotely to do with that container got recalled, several were already out of the service. Some did time.

and I remember the snow we used to get up there also. A guy that I worked for before I enlisted was stationed at what was then Griffis AFB, outside Syracuse, (He was retired AF) Towards the end of winter, a B-52 would land and after it touched down, would disappear behind the snow piled up beside the runways. And those things are HUGE.

nb

Sailariel
February 26th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Chris, I can see why they started checking baggage. I never got to pack any of my stuff. When I got hit, I went through the 67th Evac Hosp in QuiNhon, to CamRahn, Camp Zama, Japan, Tripler in Hawaii, and finally Madigan Hosp. at Ft Lewis Wa. I was quite surprised to find my aid bag. I still have the surgical instruments--clamps, scissors, forceps, etc. The Lt said I could keep them as a souvenir. He sure was bent out of shape about the Morphine and the smoke grenades. The aid bag is still in use as a well stocked medical kit on our boat. The Morphine was replaced with Extra Strength Tylenol.

ninjabrewer
February 26th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Chris, I can see why they started checking baggage. I never got to pack any of my stuff. When I got hit, I went through the 67th Evac Hosp in QuiNhon, to CamRahn, Camp Zama, Japan, Tripler in Hawaii, and finally Madigan Hosp. at Ft Lewis Wa. I was quite surprised to find my aid bag. I still have the surgical instruments--clamps, scissors, forceps, etc. The Lt said I could keep them as a souvenir. He sure was bent out of shape about the Morphine and the smoke grenades. The aid bag is still in use as a well stocked medical kit on our boat. The Morphine was replaced with Extra Strength Tylenol.

Did you ever get your personal gear back? It was nice of the person to send you the morphine and grenades, (personally I would have kept the morphine and played dum) Glad the aid bag is still in use, some of the military stuff wears like iron and some things, you look at it too hard and it wears out.

nb

Sailariel
February 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I did get most of my personal stuff back. It was all put in the same box and sent to my parents. We really did not have a lot of personal gear in a combat zone. They simply gathered up what was in my hootch and sent that back. There was a camera, pictures,and some other stuff. A gold chain was not sent back. Probably a good thing they did not send the AK-47 back. I did not carry an M-16 (Thogught it was junk) Had an Ak with a folding stock. Ideal weapon for a medic. It was certainly an interesting experience.

CC Cowboy
February 27th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Bikes are everywhere already. I did an oil change, new chain, new plugs, new brakes, and front fork seals yesterday. I think I'm ready for next week. I've also been brushing up on consuming beer ( I stopped right after the Super Bowl) so I don't get hammered on the first two beers. Monday and Tuesday I'll be at the vintage races then Wednesday and Thursday qualifying and the Superbike race, Friday night is the 200 and Saturday the Supercross. Greg Allman is playing at Destination Daytona along with a ton of other goods bands around town. I'll probably have a little fun but who knows.

Wayne, did I mention it will be in the high 70s and low 80s all week?

TrueFaith
February 27th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Bikes are everywhere already. I did an oil change, new chain, new plugs, new brakes, and front fork seals yesterday. I think I'm ready for next week. I've also been brushing up on consuming beer ( I stopped right after the Super Bowl) so I don't get hammer on the first two beers. Monday and Tuesday I'll be at the vintage races then Wednesday and Thursday qualifying and the Superbike race, Friday night is the 200 and Saturday the Supercross. Greg Allman is playing at Destination Daytona along with a ton of other goods bands around town. I'll probably have a little fun but who knows.

Wayne, did I mention it will be in the high 70s and low 80s all week?

Oh yeah? Well we're having a one-day heat wave today and it might even get up to the high 40s. I may even be able to take the bike out for a ride around the block! Woo-hoo!! :crash:

TrueFaith
March 1st, 2009, 10:26 AM
What the fu....!!??

Weather report says 12 to 15 inches here starting tonight and ending Monday. This is absurd. This could supposedly be the worst storm this winter and we get it in March?!! Friday's 60 degree day was just a teaser to get us to let our guard down and start thinking about de-winterizing the bikes up here soon...but first we get the mother of all storms!!

:hurt:

Sailariel
March 1st, 2009, 01:07 PM
What the fu....!!??

Weather report says 12 to 15 inches here starting tonight and ending Monday. This is absurd. This could supposedly be the worst storm this winter and we get it in March?!! Friday's 60 degree day was just a teaser to get us to let our guard down and start thinking about de-winterizing the bikes up here soon...but first we get the mother of all storms!!

:hurt:

T.F.,We are supposed to get 12 to 15. The 40 we had on the ground shrank some--so now I have a place for the new stuff. We ended up with an ice dam in out roof. It appears that the snow and ice shield was not properly installed. Had a friend who is a builder check it out. Our Homeowners will cover the repair--which is pulling the bottom 4 feet of shingles off, installing the snow and ice shield, and fixing the wallboard. The builder will talk to the adjuster and try to get him to approve doing the roof to the peak on the street side. Asphalt shingles are no longer available, so he cannot get a match. He would then put a snow and ice shield all the way to the peak. That will leave the back of the house. I will have him pull the rest of the roof and do the snow and ice shield on the entire roof. The insurance will also cover rearranging the insulation in the attic so that it does not block the soffet vents. Our house is only seven years old. We bought it in 2004. The original builder is no longer in business. He took a real shortcut on the roof. The builder who built our edition does exceptionally good work and thinks that if this work is done, we`ll be golden. There go my sidecar plans. What the hell, It`s only money and the Prez wants us to spend. At least we will be employing a local crew again.

birdy
March 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM
Talkin about snow and can't ride the ninja, how about this wild machine!:eek:

http://www.flixxy.com/snow-vehicle-concept.htm

noche_caliente
March 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM
we are getting quite a bit today as well - our local schools are already closed for tomorrow with the most severe of their codes! that surprised me!

zartan
March 1st, 2009, 02:56 PM
dang guys, sorry bout the snow:(
Pretty in the mountains but should stay there.

We hit 55 today which is my limit to start riding but have had constant wind with 49 mile hour gusts the past 24 hours. I have a spankin' new Arai just moping in the corner. :mad:
I saw crocus at one of my listings today woo hoo and my old fashion violets have 3 or 4 blooms. It is just a matter of time for us North Americans. Aussies you are going the other way :(

You guys be careful driving in the snow! I am sending warm wishes your way.

zartan
March 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM
There go my sidecar plans. What the hell, It`s only money and the Prez wants us to spend. At least we will be employing a local crew again.

Sorry about your roof. I do not know what a roof Ice Shield is?? West coast gal here. Good to hear you are having a good attitude about it. I hope it isn't toooooo expensive.

Sailariel
March 1st, 2009, 04:04 PM
Sorry about your roof. I do not know what a roof Ice Shield is?? West coast gal here. Good to hear you are having a good attitude about it. I hope it isn't toooooo expensive.

Zartan, A Snow and Ice shield is a heavy polyethyline sheet with its own adhesive that is put on the plywood roof before the shingles are attached. It provides a barrier that prevents ice formation under the roof. I suspect it will be about the price of a new ZX6R

zartan
March 1st, 2009, 04:08 PM
yep any roofing work is terribly expensive. thanks for the info.

OldGuy
March 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
Alex - sorry to hear about the roof problems and more snow. Roof's are one of those things that if the surface cosmetics look OK you wont know if you have problems until you have problems - Huh. Boy if that doesn't sound like an AFLAC commercial with Yogi.

We'll all have warm thoughts for you guys.

Sailariel
March 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM
Alex - sorry to hear about the roof problems and more snow. Roof's are one of those things that if the surface cosmetics look OK you wont know if you have problems until you have problems - Huh. Boy if that doesn't sound like an AFLAC commercial with Yogi.

We'll all have warm thoughts for you guys.

Don, We had the fellow who built our addition check it out. He said that there is no way we could have known. He says the house is good. It has a solid foundation, good drainage, and decent construction. It was built in four modules (it is a duplex) and appearantly when they put in the roof trusses, insulated, and finally put the roof on, they took shortcuts. Fortunately the damage is minimal. Hopefully our homeowner`s will cover a new roof--especially when a very well known reputable builder goes to bat for us. The worst case scenario would be if they paid for the repair, and we make up the difference. They may not have a choice--a two tone roof would greatly impact on the appearance of a house that has great curb appeal. I am optimistic. At least now the job will be done right. Now we have to get through this storm which is due tonight.

smcbride11
March 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM
Weather report says 12 to 15 inches here starting tonight and ending Monday. This is absurd. This could supposedly be the worst storm this winter and we get it in March?!! Friday's 60 degree day was just a teaser to get us to let our guard down and start thinking about de-winterizing the bikes up here soon

I know, I had the same problem... Had to work Friday, but yesterday was going to be a great day to finish all the repairs/upgrades I was making to the bike, except I had to look after my little girl (which wasn't bad at all, honestly).

We're looking at 8-11" by the end of the day tomorrow down here, but this one worries me a little... The (lack of) buildup to it reminds me a lot of the winter of '04-'05 when I lived in Westport, MA and we got 44" (after hearing calls for 7-12") with that monster that nailed us around President's Day (ocean effect - I think they only got a foot and a half or so in Boston). We had two Jeeps in the garage and neither one of us could make it out to the street... had to wait three days for a backhoe.

voodoomaster
March 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM
...well, No snow here in Tucson ;)

noche_caliente
March 2nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
final verdict is in - the local noaa is reporting 5.3, which is funny considering all of the measurements from the region are coming in at 9-11" WOW! That's the most snow I've seen since the winter of '96!

TrueFaith
March 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM
OMG...I got a foot of snow overnight. Just when the last bit of snow from the previous 20 or 30 storms had finally melted away. This time yesterday I could actually see my lawn. Today it looks like the Antarctic Ice Shelf out there! Time to put a few more miles on the ol' snow blower!

Don't worry Zartan, we don't drive in this stuff. We just hide inside until spring and get cabin fever!

Sorry to hear about your roof problems, Alex. That's why when I had my place re-roofed last spring I insisted they install Snow & Ice Shield over the entire roof before attaching the new shingles. I've had too many problems with ice dams in the past and decided to completely eliminate the problem in my new house.

Time to go play in the snow! :smow:

CC Cowboy
March 9th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I visited Rhode Island last weekend to experience a foot of snow. It was no big deal. I don't know what you guys are crying about. I even did a six car driveway and the neighbor's two car driveway.

It was nice to get back to the 80s and Florida sun though.

TrueFaith
March 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I visited Rhode Island last weekend to experience a foot of snow. It was no big deal. I don't know what you guys are crying about. I even did a six car driveway and the neighbor's two car driveway.

It was nice to get back to the 80s and Florida sun though.

Glad to see you survived Bike Week. Did they survive you? :rolleyes:

smcbride11
March 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM

No, a single foot's not a big deal... At the end of a long winter, though (We got 5 feet in RI, which is a seriously snowy winter for us), it combines to a) wreck the roads because of the freeze/thaw cycles and b) give you a wicked case of cabin fever.

A foot's fun if you're not already sick of it from the previous three months :(

CC Cowboy
March 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Steve, I lived in East Greenwich for 10 years. That's why I'm in FL now.

All the bikes left from bike week. I can't believe what they left behind. I was walking the beach for the last two days and there are young hard female bodies left all over the sand. These college kids don't understand the sun will turn their bodies into tanned sex symbols. I'm not sure if I can take 6 weeks of this.