View Full Version : Clean ways to 'seal' the windscreen

Yakaru
June 14th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I don't know if this has impacted anyone else, but my 300's screen has somewhere around half a cm of empty space between it and my front fairing. Since I sometimes put small items in that space (e.g. parking passes for some garages) I've had some frustration more than once. Has anyone come up with a clean solution to close up this gap reliably? I could just put some foam along the seam but I don't think I could make it look great.

fishdip
June 14th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I don't know if this has impacted anyone else, but my 300's screen has somewhere around half a cm of empty space between it and my front fairing. Since I sometimes put small items in that space (e.g. parking passes for some garages) I've had some frustration more than once. Has anyone come up with a clean solution to close up this gap reliably? I could just put some foam along the seam but I don't think I could make it look great.

If you turn it black you be able to use foam.

allanoue
June 15th, 2013, 09:42 AM
:pop2:
Clear screen looks best with white IMO

lgk
June 15th, 2013, 11:45 AM
they did that gap thing to match the 600s.

you could try silicone caulking, or a combination of caulking and weather stripping.

the hardware store usually has it near the window section, it comes white or black.

Aurodox
June 18th, 2013, 04:35 PM

The gap is supposed to help with aerodynamics :confused:

Joshorilla
June 18th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I'd affix a plastic wallet or a clear tupperware tub with 3M sticky pack foam pads like the contour cameras use, so you can keep your stuff in that and it would be easily reversable.

lgk
June 18th, 2013, 04:48 PM
while looking for tupperware containers i found this
http://www.amazon.com/InterDesign-Suction-Soap-Holster-Clear/dp/B00021LRMM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_2_2

here i am in the 20 century using a soap dish, i had no idea these existed!!!

Joshorilla
June 18th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Oh man, wait to you learn about "liquid" soap, it'll blow your mind!

Dark
June 19th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Remove the windscreen, tape off the lower portion (you can even tape it off on a 'V' shape to match the lower fairing) and then paint the lower portion (spray paint or plasti-dip will work). Once it has dried you can use some weather stripping foam which has a sticky side and stick it to the windscreen within the painted area. Make sure to get the stripping that is tall enough to properly fill the gap with a little extra pressure to hold anything that might slide down.

Reinstall the windscreen and you're good to go.

Here's an example of the painted portion:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z84/crchickadee/turbo-gauges-upper-windscreen-paint.jpg

Brother Michigan
June 19th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Just for the record, this is referred to as a "floating windscreen."

allanoue
June 19th, 2013, 06:43 AM
http://www.amazon.com/InterDesign-Suction-Soap-Holster-Clear/dp/B00021LRMM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_2_2

I like this
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/718ZfSCaLIL._SL1500_.jpg

himynameisjoe
June 19th, 2013, 06:01 PM

You made my day. Thank you ever so much!:thumbup:

lgk
June 19th, 2013, 06:53 PM
I like this

Thats pretty nice, but i'm kinda afraid it might pinch my ape hands.

lgk
June 19th, 2013, 07:00 PM
You made my day. Thank you ever so much!:thumbup:

You should have been there, haha.

I says "What kind of sorcery is this?"

himynameisjoe
June 19th, 2013, 08:30 PM
lgk :rofl: that's fantastic!

As to the OP question. Leave it alone... Please? If you must, use one of these non-permanent solutions!

Yakaru
June 19th, 2013, 09:48 PM
lgk :rofl: that's fantastic!

As to the OP question. Leave it alone... Please? If you must, use one of these non-permanent solutions!

Why leave it alone? Just curious :)

himynameisjoe
June 19th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Why leave it alone? Just curious :)

lol the thought of using silicone caulk on a bike, in a place that may be noticeable just scares me haha

I also have a good friend who fixes his (much older, mind you) bikes with things like duct/gorilla tape, cardboard, PVC pipe and really any other spare parts. So you could say I'm scarred of DIY cheap fix bike work. That being said, the man is an absolute genius and I have yet to see one of his fixes fail instantly!

Yakaru
June 19th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Ah, no worries -- I'm not about to do anything that would look cheap; too much perfectionist in me :)

himynameisjoe
June 19th, 2013, 10:19 PM
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/16623000/ngbbs4858afac8938b.jpg

uKER
June 27th, 2013, 03:07 PM
God, there's a reason that is like that.
The air flow from the fairing creates a rising current behind the windscreen that makes air coming off the top edge of the windscreen go up at a higher angle so that not so much of it hits your body.
Do yourself a favor and leave it alone.
Using it as a pocket for your papers is akin to using your computer's optical drive as a cup holder.

Yakaru
June 28th, 2013, 01:28 AM
God, there's a reason that is like that.
The air flow from the fairing creates a rising current behind the windscreen that makes air coming off the top edge of the windscreen go up at a higher angle so that not so much of it hits your body.
Do yourself a favor and leave it alone.
Using it as a pocket for your papers is akin to using your computer's optical drive as a cup holder.

I've recently been riding without the screen at all and the wind doesn't bug me a bit; so that purpose of the screen is really not there for me (for what it's worth, the 300 looks quite nice without it). I'm not talking about storing papers up there permanently, but most parking garages I use require you "put your ticket in the windscreen" and so this is the closest I can do on a bike; sorry if you don't like the idea?

JohnnyBravo
June 29th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I oddly carry one of the black paper clips with the two little metal thingies on it, and clamp my parking tickets to the window...

ChickenRun
June 29th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I oddly carry one of the black paper clips with the two little metal thingies on it, and clamp my parking tickets to the window...

Genius!

JohnnyBravo
June 30th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Genius!

What part of jax you in?

algs26
June 30th, 2013, 07:20 AM
That doesn't seem very secure. Couldn't someone steal (or swap if they're being nice) the ticket to save some hours?

allanoue
June 30th, 2013, 07:45 AM
That doesn't seem very secure. Couldn't someone steal (or swap if they're being nice) the ticket to save some hours?

If you are required to display the ticket, that can not be avoided.
Otherwise you could just pocket it.

Yakaru
June 30th, 2013, 08:15 AM

I agree, genius idea. I may do this, definitely easier than trying to rig up a seal.

JohnnyBravo
June 30th, 2013, 09:44 AM

I have yet to notice a missing or replaced ticket, but then again I just pay the dollar or two I'm asked for at the gate. Someone could possibly take it, but if you pay at the debit/ credit card place you have proof you had it, or take a phone pic of you and the ticket for proof, or whatever you deem necassary, or just drive a cage and hope nobody smashes your window
The question was how to keep it from slipping out from under the windscreen, to keep someone from stealing it I'd get a 25k+ safe with bulletproof glass and insert the bike and simply tape the ticket to the glass, but as that's impractical I'll just answer the question with how I keep my lil parking slips on my windscreen. I doubt there is a safe and fool proof way, if you find it the stealing person would probly just steal your bike for foiling their grand plan of saving a dollar in parking fees

ChickenRun
June 30th, 2013, 12:28 PM
What part of jax you in?

I actually live in Fleming Island now, and am moving to Orlando next month.

On topic: I wouldn't worry too much about ticket stealing. I don't think most people would be that desperate.

JohnnyBravo
June 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I actually live in Fleming Island now, and am moving to Orlando next month.

On topic: I wouldn't worry too much about ticket stealing. I don't think most people would be that desperate.

Boo..I know to many folks around Orlando, not many in this hole. I don't think folks would steal them, but heck there is a chance of anything.

eddiekay
August 7th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I've always affixed my tix with snot....

TheMachinr
August 12th, 2013, 09:26 AM
So this thread has got me thinking...

I am considering making my own "windscreen" (basically fiber glassing a sold piece that I can swap with my actual windscreen)

I will let you guys know what happens if I decide to start this project.

Elayex
August 24th, 2013, 08:21 PM
There are a few easy ways to stuff a parking pass without modding your bike.

Sorry for the crappy pics, but here are three spots where I used an old business card for demo purposes.

The first spot is where I normally put it. Wedged in between the windscreen and the fairing. It's not going anywhere on it's own.

The second and third spots work as well, but are not as secure as the first if you have to wind through a large parking lot/structure.

Filling that gap is an extreme an unnecessary step, IMO, but its your bike.