View Full Version : Gauge Mount -- Aftermarket?

JBinSD
June 15th, 2013, 12:38 PM
So I've gutted my 300 while my plastics are off getting painted, and I removed the black plastic shroud around the the gauge; I'd like to just eliminate it completely and mount my guage somehow inside the fairing stays up front; has anyone fabbed this yet, or is there an aftermarket mount available?

there are 3 screws on the back of the OEM gauge cluster, so the bolt pattern is a bit specific but wouldn't be hard to fab; obviously the gauges are different than the analog ones on the 250, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to start from scratch. I had fabbed a gauge bracket for the Vapor gauge on my 650, but can't find it now, wonder if something similar would work with the tre-hundy.

Any suggestions?

Below is a pic with cowling off. .. I just used electrical tape to attach gauge to the fairing stay.

sprinter
July 15th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I just cut the plastic shroud into 2 pieces, and then zip-tied the part that holds the gauge back deeper in the fairing bracket. I left the top part of the shroud in place so it still covers up the area you see through the windscreen. The gauge is rock solid with the 6 zip-ties holding it in place.

http://www.ducatiomaha.com/images/jj/Ninja300c.jpg

JBinSD
July 15th, 2013, 07:04 PM
thanks, looks good. can you show me the back side where you your mounted the gauge and attached it to the front cage?

sprinter
July 15th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Sure, I'll snap a pic tomorrow. Basically, it's just zip-tied right inside the "square" area in the middle of the fairing bracket. It recessed down in there a couple inches farther than the stock mounting location, but it's still easily viewable from the cockpit.

JBinSD
July 15th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Cool, thanks. Right now my brake line hits the gauge and the clipons hit the sides of the cowls. Was going to get rid of cowl entirely but there is the gap on the front of fairings to deal with. Did you cut it with a dremel? Are you running stock or track plastics?
Thanks for the info,
Joel

sprinter
July 15th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Track plastics from Catalyst Racing. I used a hacksaw blade to cut the plastic shroud.

JBinSD
July 15th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Cool, my bike was the prototype for Catalyst. Mike is a great guy, he didn't tell me he sold another set. Would love to see some more pics of this conversion as I'm pretty sold on doing it, and getting more room in the front fairing to lower the clipons and store transponder, timer etc. I presume your 300 is a dedicated track bike? Where are you riding/racing?

Cheers,
Joel

Chicagobob
July 16th, 2013, 06:49 AM
You could fab a pretty good mount with sheet aluminum. It's cheap and would be an interesting design problem.

sprinter
July 16th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Here's some close-up shots of the gauge mount using the hacked-off stock gauge shroud. I drilled 6 holes in it and zip-tied it to the fairing bracket on each side. Some day I'll get the dremel and file out and clean up the rough edges, and make some kind of piece to fill the gap between the top of the gauge and the top of the shroud that sits under the windscreen. Right now function trumps form!

http://www.ducatiomaha.com/images/jj/Ninja300e.jpg
http://www.ducatiomaha.com/images/jj/Ninja300f.jpg
http://www.ducatiomaha.com/images/jj/Ninja300g.jpg

sprinter
July 16th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Cool, my bike was the prototype for Catalyst. Mike is a great guy, he didn't tell me he sold another set. Would love to see some more pics of this conversion as I'm pretty sold on doing it, and getting more room in the front fairing to lower the clipons and store transponder, timer etc. I presume your 300 is a dedicated track bike? Where are you riding/racing?

Cheers,
Joel

Right now just doing our track days here with TrackAddix, but might get up to Brainerd to race with CRA or out to High Plains to race with MRA at some point. We're also looking at starting our own small-bore race series with TrackAddix if we get enough interest in it. I'm kind of "retired" from racing, just doing/running track days for the past few years, but I wouldn't mind racing again on these little bikes. No interest in racing my big bike (Ducati Panigale), I'm too old and crashing those bike bikes hurts too much! ha ha!

JBinSD
July 16th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I hear ya, I'm 45, my true race days are long gone, but the lil' bikes are easier to get up off the tarmac after a getoff. I'm sure you know already, but the guage is held to the black cowling only by those three rear bolts, I was thinking of using just the guage, and mounting it somewhere deeper like you did, but i guess if I'm willing to sacrifice the cowling and cut it up, it makes it easier to mount by using more plastic and doing it the ziptie way you did.

My cowling is already bent/thrashed from an earlier low-side, so I guess there's nothing stopping me from cutting it up. Its kinda hard to tell from your pics, is the gauge still angled back towards the cockpit, or more straight up? I'm going to get a dremel and do some carving this weekend I think, would be great to have room for both the transponder and a timer and still be able to lower the clipons.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain and post pics ;-)

Joel

sprinter
July 16th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Yes, it's a little flatter than the stock mount, but still plenty visible while tucked in on the bike.