View Full Version : My new can...HR1

hogfan83
February 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
so i just got this on yesterday...kinda a pain in the ass to put on but i like it ALOT more than the stock muffler...

hogfan83
February 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Also im going to take it to a shop and have them mount the can closer to the fairing and at a different angle so there isnt so much ugly pipe to look at

camaroz1985
February 20th, 2009, 12:59 PM
When I was thinking about getting this, I was thinking black can, green tip. I'm not sure how I feel about all green.

I bet its loud though. That's why I didn't get it.

CRXTrek
February 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
As a previous owner of an HR-1 :mad:... I recomend that you remove the allen screws on the can and reinstall them with thread lock, red locktight, because hot and cold cycles and maybe vibration will make them come loose . I lost two of them before i put on the goop :(

PSO-08ninja250rblack
February 20th, 2009, 01:23 PM
hey i think that you should shorten/cut off a little of the header pipe, so that the can get closer the the fairing. so it doesnt hang like that in the air...

kkim
February 20th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Also im going to take it to a shop and have them mount the can closer to the fairing and at a different angle so there isnt so much ugly pipe to look at

be sure to keep the piece they cut off just in case you ever want to go back to the stock can or any other aftermarket slip on. :)

VeX
February 20th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Cool! I agree that has GOT to be a loud friggin can, but they are fancy looking. Thanks for the pics! It seems anyone who gets them always says, "I'm going to get an HR1 muffler!" and then posts the pictures from HR1's site of the muffler...

No one goes the distance and puts REAL pictures of them on their bike :p Kudos!

hogfan83
February 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
As a previous owner of an HR-1 :mad:... I recomend that you remove the allen screws on the can and reinstall them with thread lock, red locktight, because hot and cold cycles and maybe vibration will make them come loose . I lost two of them before i put on the goop :(

thanks for the advice! i hadnt thought about losing the screws that shouldnt ever move....

as for how loud it is...hmm i really dont have anything to compare it too. i can say that it sounds better than a juiced up lawn mower now though!

miks
February 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
It is me or is the green on the can not Kawi Green?

And may you please elaborate on the "kinda a pain in the ass to put on" part?

Good luck with the can!

hogfan83
February 20th, 2009, 10:16 PM
It is me or is the green on the can not Kawi Green?

And may you please elaborate on the "kinda a pain in the ass to put on" part?

Good luck with the can!

the pictures dont do it justice but it is a little off....not really noticeable though in person right now...im hoping it doesnt fade with alot of heat and use.

and it was a pain in the ass to put on because i had to cut the pipe manually with a $10 hacksaw, i was almost done cutting and the blade broke so i knocked off the remainder with a hammer. From there i got a metal file and reshaped the end of the pipe. the inlet hole on the can is barely big enough to fit the exhaust tube in so that was a bit of a struggle as well...

CRXTrek
February 20th, 2009, 10:24 PM
My black HR-1 got pale and kind of a gray tint to it . Only had it on for about one hundred miles. Then i couldn't take the loudness any more.

aloh
February 20th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I dunno...the HR1 looks cheap looking to me. I dont like the way it mounts so low either.

miks
February 21st, 2009, 01:11 AM
Very strange to hear that you can to cut it and the installation was such a hassle.

Unlike AreaP, which fits like a glove and is made with quality in mind.

hogfan83
February 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM
well its official...im not a big fan of the way it sounds either....of course the hayabusa that shared a parking spot with me at cycle gear didnt help my confidence at all

CRXTrek
February 21st, 2009, 04:01 PM
Been there...:o
With that can on my 250, i felt like the biggest poser in the world :(
If you buy an Area P quite core you won't be sorry ;)

Viper-Byte
February 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
I have to agree with CRXTrek when I first got my AreaP I was not too happy with the sound, but it has grown on me and I will not have the stock can back unless you paid me a great sum of money :D

I have even had compliments on it, people think it is a 600 or 650, based on the look and sound, even a guy I was talking to who has a KTM RC8 like it :D

miks
February 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
So this can gets the thumbs down?

Steve (CRXTrek), looking at the old pictures I see that you had a black can before you got the AreaP. The black can looked like the stock one, and I was wondering; if it was how and what paint did you use?

CRXTrek
February 21st, 2009, 10:05 PM
So this can gets the thumbs down?

Steve (CRXTrek), looking at the old pictures I see that you had a black can before you got the AreaP. The black can looked like the stock one, and I was wondering; if it was how and what paint did you use?
Yes, My last muffler was a stock one.I put it back on after the HR-1 :eek:
All you need to do is get some High Temp BBQ Paint, I used Rust-Oleum High Heat Ultra Semigloss that i got at Walmart.
Take it off the bike. Then i used 100 grit sandpaper with a bucket of water & dishsoap mix to scuff it up and clean it .
Then spray thin coats, almost just a fogging spray and wait about 20 or 30 minutes to spray again . I put on 5 or 6 coats to build it up.

miks
February 21st, 2009, 10:18 PM
All you need to do is get some High Temp BBQ Paint, I used Rust-Oleum High Heat Ultra Semigloss that i got at Walmart.
Take it off the bike. Then i used 100 grit sandpaper with a bucket of water & dishsoap mix to scuff it up and clean it .
Then spray thin coats, almost just a fogging spray and wait about 20 or 30 minutes to spray again . I put on 5 or 6 coats to build it up.

Thanks for the information!

I can see that you're not a big fan of the HR-1!:angry7:

With the "High Temp BBQ Paint" did it fade after a certain amount of time?

CRXTrek
February 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM
My Pics were taken after about 4,000 miles of riding .

But it's so easy to do again if needed .:cool:

hogfan83
February 22nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
it only gets the thumbs down AFTER im able to sell it

Blue Monkey
February 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Sorry to hear that you don't like your muffler. I almost bought one until i read some reviews. Nothing sucks more than buyer's remorse. I hope you are able to sell it. Hr should just take it back imo. I had an area p 12 in carbon fiber that sounds good but was too loud for me so I bought the 18 quiet core one instead. I still hated that I had to buy another after market muffler but it was worth it to me in the long run. Is it too loud or do you just hate the sound?

jpnfrk
February 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM

How do I take it off the bike?

Any tutorials?

CRXTrek
February 22nd, 2009, 09:41 PM

Any tutorials?

Should just be a clamp bolted down by the footpegs and a bolt where it hangs from the passenger footpeg to take off the mufflers.

jpnfrk
February 22nd, 2009, 09:48 PM
Mine is a 2007 model with two mufflers... I'm guessing the procedure to remove them should be about the same? :noidea:

Do I need any special tools?

CRXTrek
February 22nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
Mine is a 2007 model with two mufflers... I'm guessing the procedure to remove them should be about the same? :noidea:

Do I need any special tools?
Metric wrench set or socket set.
I knew your bike is 07 , your pink flames are famous :thumbup:

jpnfrk
February 22nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Gotta love Google, I just searched for pics of those tools and found out I have some of those in my toolbox!! :lol:

Hopefully my local W-Mart has the 'materials' for the black muffler project. Which reminds me, since I don't have a garage, what should I cover the exhausts with while I'm playing around with the paint? I'm just worried it'll rain and damage the system.

CRXTrek
February 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
I did mine outside under the deck. It doesn't take to long. But try to do it on a warm sunny day.

miks
February 23rd, 2009, 04:08 AM

Any tutorials?

I see we have another fan of the black stock can!

I reckon it looks pretty good even though it would sound the same.

Anyway I can modify the stock can to make it sound more "beastly" :thumbup:?

CRXTrek
February 23rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
I see we have another fan of the black stock can!

I reckon it looks pretty good even though it would sound the same.

Anyway I can modify the stock can to make it sound more "beastly" :thumbup:?
For a little more sound ....take off the end cap , center punch a place to start a drill bit between the blocks that the end cap bolted to. Use a small drill bit like 1/8" to start the hole then enlarge it with a 1/2"drill bit. Then do the same for the end cap piece. It's better not to try and do both at once,so the holes will be centered.
Heres a pic of mine...

grandmaster
February 23rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
After talking to my dad about drilling the holes in the pipe like that he said you have to be careful. It makes it sound better for sure, but some say it makes you lose power and other says it makes you gain power. In my dads case, he lost quite a bit from the sounds of it.

Alcorn69
February 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Looks good! Congrats!!!

CRXTrek
February 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
After talking to my dad about drilling the holes in the pipe like that he said you have to be careful. It makes it sound better for sure, but some say it makes you lose power and other says it makes you gain power. In my dads case, he lost quite a bit from the sounds of it.

My bike was already jetted for the HR-1 before i did the drilling in the stock muffler , it just bypasses one baffle turn around . Really not much different in restriction

aznsap
February 26th, 2009, 12:34 AM
so you don't like the sound, and the color doesn't match. would you go w/ something else?

camaroz1985
February 26th, 2009, 08:13 AM
The bad thing now is he has to buy a full system because he had to chop off part of the head pipe, and from the sounds of things it is too mangled to put back on.

hogfan83
February 26th, 2009, 09:59 AM
The bad thing now is he has to buy a full system because he had to chop off part of the head pipe, and from the sounds of things it is too mangled to put back on.
it didnt get THAT mangled, all i have to do is get the end piece welded back on then bolt it all up....it would be like a $15 job at three star muffler.

the color matches pretty good actually...its just slightly off

it sounds WAY better after i completely opened up the slider; not as loud

im still thinking about a different exhaust but dont trust these sound clips at all so unless i get to ride another bike with the exhaust already on it im sticking with this system

Nemy
February 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
ya sound clips and youtube vids are virtually useless because most people take them in their garage or indoors. Hell, the stock can would even sound amazing indoors :rolleyes:

Good to hear that you haven't given up on the can, though. As long as you're happy with it it's all good