View Full Version : Headlight Flasher - Wigwag

g21-30
February 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM
http://www.kriss.com/h7mod.php

kkim
February 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM
how well would that thing work with HIDs?

headshrink
February 20th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I am pretty sure this is not legal for non LEOs (for street use). I don't have the reference in front of me, but I believe the federal law that allows headlight modulators is very specific about how it opporates.... please correct me if I am wrong.

I am pretty sure it also will not work with HIDs, at least that is what I was told on another board.

TrueFaith
February 21st, 2009, 09:45 AM
I am pretty sure this is not legal for non LEOs (for street use). I don't have the reference in front of me, but I believe the federal law that allows headlight modulators is very specific about how it opporates.... please correct me if I am wrong.

I am pretty sure it also will not work with HIDs, at least that is what I was told on another board.

That is definately illegal for non-emergency vehicles here in Massachusetts.

headshrink
February 21st, 2009, 01:21 PM
Not to complicate matters with law (only an arm-chair lawyer here, meaning I'm not really and only a regular Joe), but 'pot' is legal in CA for Medical use, and yet absolutely illegal Federally.... you need an MD's RX, and yet the MD technically risks his/her license every time s/he writes one..... I know we are talking about headlight mods here, but I wanted to illustrate how sometimes laws not only seem contradictory or confusing, sometimes they are absolutely opposed to each other. Sometimes the Feds threaten to withhold funding for certain things to force a state to fall into line.... I wonder what Lincoln would say. Then there is the 2nd ammendment..... well that is covered on other boards and I don't want to start that one here too (sorry if that is too inflammatory for some-not really).

I think I digressed far enough.... back to more relevant conversation :)

noche_caliente
February 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM
Bob- what you are saying agrees with what Sam said - the federal law overrides the state law.
In my occupation, the regulations I set forth can be overridden by my boss, and his the state, which the feds can override. If any of the lower regulations are in conflict wiht those above them, it doesn't matter, as the federal law rules .
For example, if I make a rule that says you can only wear blue on Tuesdays, but the federal regulations allow you to wear blue whenever you want, I can't prosecute someone for wearing blue on Monday.

headshrink
February 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
I hear you.... but I always understood the stricter laws were the ones that you had to watch.... gun laws are a good example of that, although there may be some difference that I may not be seeing.
Practically speaking, yes - I don't think headlight modulaters would be a problem in any state due to the federal law... unless Barney Fife has a complex and has to prove something, but the larger issue seems confusing in other contexts.

HKr1
February 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
Put wigwags on the camaro years ago(made my own). Funny gettting cars to move outta your way :runaway2:

KJohnson21
February 21st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Here's a FAQ list that addresses the details of legality and such, with links to the official info too.

http://www.ddmiller.com/hlm/faq.asp

TrueFaith
February 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
Did you read my attachment. Federal Law rules in all 50 states.

Here is the excerpt from above:

"Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section. Title 49 USC 30103 (b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108."

A headlight modulator is one thing, but a wig-wag is not a headlight modulator. You put one of those wig wags on a bike or car around this state and you will be pulled over by the State Police before your engine even gets to operating temperature. If you're not authorized to use them you will be ordered to remove them and may even get a citation for your trouble. Even if they were "technically" legal for non-police motorcycle use here, which they're not, it wouldn't be worth being pulled over every 5 minutes by troopers who weren't advised of their legality. Massachusetts is a hard-assed state when it comes to proper operating equipment, not a loosey-goosey feelgood place like Cali. They crack down on LEDs, lack of reflectors, loud pipes and low-mounted license plates here on a daily basis in riding season.

kkim
February 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
...not a loosey-goosey feelgood place like Cali.

lol... GL w/ that one. :D

00v_Lucky
February 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM
kkim, i know for a fact that it is bad to flicker the HIDs on and off. It messes with the filament and housing of the bulbs (well, that is what I learned from my rsx 6000K ones)

TrueFaith
February 22nd, 2009, 08:02 AM
I don't know about HIDs, but with normal headlights the modulator will actually extend the life of the filament. Figures HIDs would be completely different.