View Full Version : harbor freight stands

mike_sema
February 21st, 2009, 08:55 AM
Well i went in to harbor fright and found this stand for 39.99. Just wanted to pass it on heres some pics

VeX
February 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM
Not too shabby! I need a rear stand some time and there is a Harbour Freight near me :)

Thanks!

NinjetteMan
February 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
I've been curious about the HF stands...any thoughts on the build and functional quality?

Buffalony
February 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
i was going to buy one of those then i realized it didnt come with the spool connectors or clips or whatever their called.that the spools rest on. i asked the guy at the register if they had any to go with the stand and he said no id have to buy them online? Pointless for me to buy it i told him before i walked out.

kkim
February 23rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
you would need to buy the spools separately with any other spool type rear stand, harbor freight or not. :)

Buffalony
February 23rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
you would need to buy the spools separately with any other spool type rear stand, harbor freight or not. :)

no i meant the clips that attach to the stand that the spools rest on. um the spool adapters maybe?? : )

kkim
February 23rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Yes, if the stand doesn't come with those brackets that support the bike from the spools, then I agree with you, it would be useless as is. How much did they want for those spool brackets for the stand?

mike sema- did the stand come with those brackets to lift the bike from the spools?

Buffalony
February 23rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
i think like $7 online only.they didnt have em in store.

mike_sema
February 23rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
well so far so good it seems to be holding up just fine

the stand came with the spool holders and i have no prob getting the bike up by my self

Buffalony
February 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
well so far so good it seems to be holding up just fine

the stand came with the spool holders and i have no prob getting the bike up by my self

*Buffalony's running back to harbor freight*:p

I swear it said on the box that they wernt included

sorry

mike_sema
February 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Ya what probably happened was someone took them off the floor model and they have another one that is all black and comes with the paddles instead of the forks for the spools

NinjetteMan
February 24th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Ill have to take a closer look at that...thanks Mike

Dip In Traffic
March 2nd, 2009, 08:15 AM
i just check out the stands on harbor freight's website. out of the box its setup to lift a bike with spool and (sold separately $6.99 ) you can buy Paddle Adapters to convert to a rear swing arm stand

Buffalony
March 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
i just check out the stands on harbor freight's website. out of the box its setup to lift a bike with spool and (sold separately $6.99 ) you can buy Paddle Adapters to convert to a rear swing arm stand

I'm just sayin the box I had stated the clips and paddles need to be purchased seperatly. I know It doesn't make sense thats why I posted. Maybe it was an older one.I don't know.

Shift250R
March 3rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
I think im going to pick up one of these tomorrow. On their site they claim its a low profile stand. Does that mean it doesnt lift the bike as high as other stands. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

mike_sema
March 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
you know this is my 1st stand so I don't know if that's what they mean, but it is well worth the money they do have a different one there aswell that comes with the paddles

Shift250R
March 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the post and info Mike. Just picked one up today and its seems to be really good. Though this is my first stand. I had to print out the online price and take it in because it was more expensive at my local store.

Kolya1981
March 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Never had anything from HF that didn't end up breaking...the price is tempting...and there can't be too much to break on a stand...but still not sure if I'd trust my bike to it.

CZroe
April 23rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
Not too shabby! I need a rear stand some time and there is a Harbour Freight near me :)

Thanks!

Where? I just moved here and I've never been to one. ;)

camaroz1985
April 23rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
They don't have these in all stores apparently. I went to mine last fall and they didn't so I went to the motorcycle shop and bought a Pitbull stand.

Talk about the extremes of the price range :D

Buffalony
April 23rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
nope. they have these ones now though:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17150

mike_sema
April 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
the same stand that I got from harbor fright see post 1 they are selling at cycle gear for $90 I couldn't believe it so I sat their looking it over and sure **** it’s the same stand :mad:

Buffalony
April 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Look at it now mike!!!! http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=MRX_SL18A

mike_sema
April 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM
somtimes it pays to shop around

Buffalony
April 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM
somtimes it pays to shop around

Yeah tell me about it. I just found out I lost 55 somethin odd bucks on shipping from Cheapcycleparts!:mad: Turns out shipping is free for Kawiforum members on orders over $200.00...My total was 350 something:mad: Damn
Oh well. Live an learn right?

kkim
April 24th, 2009, 09:49 PM
you're a kawiforum member, right? ;)

Buffalony
April 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM
you're a kawiforum member, right? ;)

Yeah. same name as here.
I placed the order on like the 13th or 14t of april :(

kkim
April 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM
have you tried going back them to see if they might credit you for the oversight?

Buffalony
April 24th, 2009, 10:12 PM
have you tried going back them to see if they might credit you for the oversight?

Nope. not yet anyway. I plan on giving that rick guy a call to see if he can help me out in anyway. I doubt it. Its kind of an advertisement tool. If you see it on a forum, its supposed to make you want to buy from them so you go and buy from them. Since I already paid them, I'm kind past that point now. I'll still give em a call.

chess
May 3rd, 2009, 09:33 AM
I picked one of these up today...didn't even know I had a HF in town!

I just put it together, and it seems like a pretty good unit.

I used a 20% coupon (attached) to get it for $32.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?week=1809&campaign=RetailC&page=coupon1.html&single=true&r=4671_686084&cust=33015787513&keycode=0000

chess
May 3rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
I just used it to lift the bike for a chain lube...worked like a champ. It really didn't seem to put any stress on the unit at all. I used the "brick method" to get the bike up, and had no trouble at all getting it down. :thumbup:

I couldn't get spools in town today, and I've decided not to use paddles, so I put the hooks in backwards and put the rubber feet from my car ramps on them (you'd think they were designed for the purpose). It's tough to explain, but it was plenty stable and the bike was protected.

Thanks for the tip, though I could see me spending way too much money in HF. It was like a f'ing toy store!

...now I need some cheap black spools. Any recommendations?

ChansteR
May 4th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I picked one of these up today...didn't even know I had a HF in town!

I just put it together, and it seems like a pretty good unit.

I used a 20% coupon (attached) to get it for $32.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?week=1809&campaign=RetailC&page=coupon1.html&single=true&r=4671_686084&cust=33015787513&keycode=0000

Ooo, I was just about buy a rear stand from HF and then I saw this...interesting, oh goodie.

For those wondering, it is still 39.99:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99701

chess
May 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM
just a note...that coupon expires today and is in-store only.

but if you google, you should find a similar one.

tinng321
May 4th, 2009, 05:45 PM
how is the quality?
what spool size do we need? 8mm or 10mm?

thanks,
tin

chess
May 4th, 2009, 05:59 PM
how is the quality?
what spool size do we need? 8mm or 10mm?

thanks,
tin

The build quality seems plenty sufficient for our bike. It has a nice solid seam rather than spot welds, and I don't detect any flexing of the stand when I lift the bike. For $32, I'm very very pleased.

10mm.

mike_sema
May 4th, 2009, 06:07 PM
iam with chess this is a great stand and you cant beat 30-40 bucks and we use 10mm spools :thumbup:

backinthesaddleagain
July 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Went to harbor freight today couldn't find stand. Girl at register said 3 in stock after typing in cash register. Lots of people working there (by that I mean wearing their shirt and standing around drawing a paycheck), but no one helping any customers. I picked up a cheap 6pt socket set on sale, then when back to register asked girl about the stand again and without checking the cash register she says i don't think we have any. Too busy during lunch time to waste time so I'll go back at some other time.

Realize this is a low cost store, and the typical employee these days takes no pride in his/her work, but are other HF stores like that?

Glad they were out of 3/8 torque wrench as I am still not sure if I should get theirs and would have possible bought it.

CC Cowboy
July 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM
Watch out for that Pittsburgh stuff. There are somes good things at Harbor Freight but you have to be careful.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/harbor-freight/hex-key-set.htm

This web site is pretty good for rating and reviewing motorcycle stuff. Don't let anyone know about it though.

I've bought a ton of stuff from Harbor Freight though.

backinthesaddleagain
July 1st, 2009, 01:09 PM
Pittsburgh - the name makes me think of steel, the Steelers, Mean Joe Green. But i bet those "Pittsburgh" tools are made somewhere far from Pittsburgh.

Momaru
July 1st, 2009, 01:42 PM
After buying a socket set, a torque wrench & several other tools at HF and having half of them break inside 6 months, I don't trust anything they stock.

backinthesaddleagain
July 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
After buying a socket set, a torque wrench & several other tools at HF and having half of them break inside 6 months, I don't trust anything they stock.

I took a chance on a 6p metric socket set. Figure most of the items in that set would be torqued to less than 20 ft lbs and for $8 I would take the risk.

coffeecandy
July 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM

I honestly think that you could find something on craiglist cheaper than you would at any other store. For instance, I bought a Matco battery charger (normally sells for like 300) for 35 bucks. I had to wait and keep checking craigslist but it worked out for 35 dollars. Some guy was selling his 60 gallon Air Compressor for 150. I should have pick this badboy up and sold my 30 gallon for 100 :D

Anyways I wouldn't pick up that stand if i had to pay for it reason because there are no wheels to be able to roll the bike forward or backward. It's pretty much stationary if you had to remove the rear tire.

tjkamper
July 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah having the wheels are a good thing, plust I think it might be harder to lift without wheels.

almost40
July 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM
It has wheels on it.

darthnip
July 9th, 2009, 08:16 PM
i love HF for those oddball tools you need once in a great while. if i need somethign for a specific use and wont probably ever need it again but maybe once or twice it makes more sense to me to buy from them and save a ton of money. i did buy the big lathe/mill combo and i use it alot and im very happy with it. sure its not a CNC super precise setup, but i have those at work, so it was great for my home garage tinkering. the one in muncie indiana have very helpful employees, and i was actually surprized by that. they have always been very helpful and have even given me replacement tools on stuff and never even asked when i bought it or asked to see a receipt or anything. of course on tools im going to use a lot of i buy better, but for one or two timer type of stuff, you cant beat the prices.

ztrack157
July 9th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I have these stands they're pretty good and no spools required. with the optional paddles of course

coffeecandy
July 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM
It has wheels on it.

I see NO wheels on it. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=778&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1241295387

tjkamper
July 10th, 2009, 09:26 AM
yeah! Where's the beef?

backinthesaddleagain
July 10th, 2009, 09:26 AM
they are small urethane wheels.

Alex
July 10th, 2009, 09:27 AM
It says wheels on it in the description here:

Linky (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=99701).

Smooth rolling wheels and extended grab handle for extra leverage allows stand to be easily used by one person

coffeecandy
July 10th, 2009, 09:31 AM
WELL I never..... :D

jr.
July 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM
my dad bought this stand to he has a cbr 1000rr and he had to buy some spool things and turn them upside down and it worked wonders on the ease of cleaning the chain

n4v1n
July 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Just to let you all know, you must use this stand with spools, the paddle adapters (sold separately) do not lift the bike up, all it does is keep the bike straight and level, but the rear wheel can not be turned for lubing chain etc.

coffeecandy
July 10th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Just to let you all know, you must use this stand with spools, the paddle adapters (sold separately) do not lift the bike up, all it does is keep the bike straight and level, but the rear wheel can not be turned for lubing chain etc.

I stand corrected. Horrible even with wheels except if you got spools for your bike :p

almost40
July 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Wheels are inbetween the aluminum, right where there supposed to be.

kkim
July 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM

well, then... maybe you should. :lol:

n4v1n
July 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
The quality of the stand is great though. I like it so far and the bike is extremely stable on the stand. This is definitely WAAAAY better built than those generic red or black colored ones on ebay (search "swingarm stand", you'll find a shitload for about ~$42-$50) it's a much better alternative imo. Yes there are wheels and they work well. I think it also looks cool; for 39.99 it's great.

Bsmith
July 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM

That could explain a lot.:eek:

coffeecandy
July 10th, 2009, 11:55 PM
entertaining thread. i LOL'ed ...time to unsubscribed

CZroe
July 11th, 2009, 02:45 AM
When storing a bike on stands to prevent tire-shaping, is it OK to lift the front tire while the handlebars are turned/locked? Otherwise, with the front wheel straight/unlocked, I could imagine lifting both wheels and then having the whole bike blown over by the wind. :(

You mean that it doesn't lift high enough? What is your suspension adjusted to? Would this one (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=66192) do the trick? I like that it can be converted to a front fork stand.

n4v1n
July 11th, 2009, 02:08 PM
You mean that it doesn't lift high enough? What is your suspension adjusted to? Would this one (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=66192) do the trick? I like that it can be converted to a front fork stand.

Yea it doesn't lift the bike high enough for the wheel to rotate. MY suspension is stock.

tc3jg
July 11th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Ive got the stand went and bought it today Id say its a nice stand makes my bike look fast lifted up on it lol

CZroe
October 22nd, 2009, 01:02 AM
I got mine for $32.xx after coupon. :thumbup:

Regardless of what's been said, build quality is ATROCIOUS. That isn't to say that it won't hold your bike up, but the paddles sag and pieces have to be flexed to fit and assemble, etc. One of the bolt screws had metal filling in the malformed head and you couldn't turn it with a screw driver! Luckily, it had enough friction to tighten from the nut side. Laughably, the instructions tell you how to assemble the part that's already assembled and not the parts that require assembly! The blow-up diagram has several flaws due to copy/pasting both sides, but they have a disclaimer about how yours may vary, so they get a pass there. :rolleyes: Don't even consider using one to balance your tire... one side sags lower than the other and it isn't level the other way either.

That said, it works for what I bought it for. I put some stick-on feet on the bottom so I can store it in my closet without scratching the hardwood floors.

Strangely, the Harbor Frieght spools are online-only. Anyone wanna group-buy some Harbor Freight spools online? Shipping kills their good price for individual orders. It's too bad they aren't black, but I'm willing to live with that.

*Buffalony's running back to harbor freight*:p

I swear it said on the box that they wernt included

sorry

The paddle adapters weren't. They replace the pieces that lift spools, so I can see where the confusion comes from. It sucks that the spools are online only (shipping KILLS their otherwise excellent price).

I think im going to pick up one of these tomorrow. On their site they claim its a low profile stand. Does that mean it doesnt lift the bike as high as other stands. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Mine BARELY lifts it enough to free the wheel with the paddle adapters! I have to lift the very edge of the swingarm (you hear that, n4v1n?). Spools would be somewhat higher. I wonder how safe it would be if I installed and used the paddle adapters upside-down...

tc3jg
October 22nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
lol yeah the fastener quality does suck very much lol but it holds up the bike and no one is going to be looking at the screw heads and if they do well o well as for the screws doing their job you could always go buy some cheap old screws lol. Yes I was pissed as well when I found the shipping cost more than the damn spools still though the spools were cheaper than anyothers....O and just to pre warn the screw that holds the spools will start to rust as it isnt stainless so be prepared or paint it first.

CZroe
October 22nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the warning. In that case, I think I'll just get some anondized black ones from eBay.

Greg_E
October 22nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hmmm... I was thinking of getting this stand tomorrow. I have the other rear stand (tubular one) and it works pretty well, even looks like the front fork adapters might be OK for the price.

I'll have to look and see if my local store has the tube style in stock since I know it works and my swingarm is wide enough that I had to bend it out a little just to let the stand fit.

And if you can believe the specs, both the aluminum and tube stand lift to the same height, but I have a strange feeling that the aluminum "low profile" is probably a lot lower than the tube stand. The tube one lifts my Buell about 6 to 8 inches off the ground and is really too high for the fronts so if I need to modify something I can probably make the aluminum one work with the front fork adapters (after a little cutting).

CZroe
October 22nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Well, the rear spool holders are higher than the paddle adapters, so that's probably the spec they compared. I, too, considered getting the other + adapters for the front forks but I decided to wait for the next 20% off coupon.

miztyzo562
October 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM

HFT's is a good place for everything else, tool wise I always stick with Craftsman!!

Greg_E
October 23rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Well I just bought one of these aluminum stands and I must say that it is truly a piece of junk. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or return it. The tube stand is far better.

CZroe
October 23rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
I intend to keep mine, well, because it works and there is no way I'm paying $80 + shipping for some other brand.

Greg_E
October 23rd, 2009, 07:06 PM
For anyone else looking at this, I think the tube stand is a better choice. I'll try to get some pictures of both for comparison.

Looking at how this aluminum one and the paddles are made, I would say flipping them over to get an extra inch or so should be just fine.

I may machine this aluminum stand to take the front fork adapters from the other stand, I think it will be plenty of lift for the front end.

untdavid
October 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
I just purchased the black tube type stand and it seems pretty sturdy. For $32 bucks it gets the job done for minor maintenance stuff. Here is a link to the 20% coupon if anyone is interested in one.

http://www.ifcba.com/images/htf/65458/coupon21.html <---Coupon (20% off ends 10/31)

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=65620&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName= <--- Rearstand

CZroe
October 24th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I just purchased the black tube type stand and it seems pretty sturdy. For $32 bucks it gets the job done for minor maintenance stuff. Here is a link to the 20% coupon if anyone is interested in one.

http://www.ifcba.com/images/htf/65458/coupon21.html <---Coupon (20% off ends 10/31)

Thanks. May I ask how you became aware of this one [coupon]? I never saw it posted on any of the deal sites and this one is not hosted on HarborFreight.com like the last one. It says "non-transferable," so I hope I don't encounter any resistance. It really bugged me that the text was unreadable on the source even on the last one from their own website! I really just need to sign up for their email list...

Greg_E
October 24th, 2009, 03:15 PM
That's the other one I have that also has the front frok adapters for it. Works fine on my Buell and seems to be fairly well made, though it could use some roller skate wheels to replace the junk that it has. You may not find the tube version at the store since it costs a lot more space to ship and store, I had to grab the display stand when I bought mine.

CZroe
October 24th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I meant the coupon. When I was there a month ago and asked about both stands they also brought one of those out without the box (it wasn't on display).

Speed Racer
October 24th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Pitbull ftw!
Posted via Mobile Device

CRXTrek
October 24th, 2009, 10:01 PM
:whathesaid:

Quality costs $$$. But it's well worth it.
And the foward facing one makes it so easy to lift the bike up

duHkDtS9we0

mike_sema
October 24th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I have had this stand for 8 months and use it almost every day with no problems, do you think if you paid 90 bucks for it it would be a better stand if so go down to your nearest cycle gear and pick one up :D

CZroe
October 24th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Mr. Cheapie here, again (Me). Because shipping on the Harbor Freight $5 spools kinda kills it, I went about looking for the cheapest black spools I could find.

I figured I'd save you guys the trouble and point out that this guy is easily the cheapest on eBay (http://motors.shop.ebay.com/supply(n)demand/m.html?_nkw=10mm&_sacat=&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313&_odkw=&_osacat=0). I had to bid, but doing so netted me black anodized extended slider spools for $7.50 + $4 S&H. He also seems to have the cheapest non-extended regular spools on eBay... $6.50 but they aren't anodized black (worth the extra dollar, IMO).

Of course, I was withholding that info until my bid cleared. ;)

duHkDtS9we0

I wonder why that isn't the standard way. I mean, when using the Harbor Freight Haul Master one with paddles, I felt like I needed someone to hold the front for me just in case. With that one, you can hold the front yourself while lifting the back. I like it.

rockNroll
October 25th, 2009, 08:26 AM

duHkDtS9we0

Ever have an idea and then build something? Then, years later a company sells something using an idea close to what you had? I built this stand in 1997, the picture is from 1998. Mine has no wheels because I also wanted a stand that would work well in gravel, dirt and grass. Dang, I wish I woulda gotten a patent...
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9580/trknbike2q.jpg

I then built this one, also without wheels, for the same reasons. This is the easiest stand to use that I've ever used. It does pull the bike to the rear about a foot when you lift the bike but the leverage is good and makes it very easy to lift the bike. I still use this stand for the CBR. This pic is also from 1998.
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7866/crash5.jpg

This is the harbor freight stand (the black haul master). I'm close to 200 lbs and I needed someone to hold the bike while I bounced all my weight on the stand to lift the 250... the leverage was terrible. If you look close you can see the weld on each side of the upright parts. I cut a couple inches out on each side, making the stand shorter and the the leverage is great and I lift the bike with one hand while holding the bike up with the other hand. I welded up a set of spool adapters as I really don't like swing arm paddles.
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1097/dsc05039.jpg

Greg_E
October 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I agree, the leverage is terrible, but nearly the same as the Suzuki branded one I bought back in 1991 that looks very similar. These stands have been around so long that no oe really owns the basic patent anymore, that's why s many companies make things that lok identical.

CZroe
October 25th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Well, guys, I noticed that the Harbor Freight spools were finally listed on both websites (HarborFreight.com and HarborFreightUSA.com), so I checked again and, sure enough, they were finally available in-store (the only place it makes sense... why sell the stand and not the stuff you need for it?! Why charge so much shipping for a $5 scrap of metal?!). The 10mm spools were right near the area they should have been but the 8mm ones were way off on the other end of the aisle. I got the last 10mm ones at the Escondido store but I'm probably going to return them because I already ordered some matching ones from eBay. If I hadn't I'd still use these, I just wouldn't leave 'em in all the time because I don't like seeing shiny parts on a black swingarm.

untdavid
October 25th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks. May I ask how you became aware of this one [coupon]? I never saw it posted on any of the deal sites and this one is not hosted on HarborFreight.com like the last one. It says "non-transferable," so I hope I don't encounter any resistance. It really bugged me that the text was unreadable on the source even on the last one from their own website! I really just need to sign up for their email list...

I goto a site called "slickdeals.net". Great site if you want to find the best deals on anything. I check it religiously

David

CZroe
October 25th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I goto a site called "slickdeals.net". Great site if you want to find the best deals on anything. I check it religiously

David

So do I. I evenwent there and searched for it. All I can find is the last one that already expired.

untdavid
October 25th, 2009, 10:02 PM
So do I. I evenwent there and searched for it. All I can find is the last one that already expired.

Its under the forum "coupons", I believe