View Full Version : tantalus ride today

Sound Wave
February 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM
ninjabrewer and i shimmed his jet needles today and then went for a relaxed ride to famous tantalus/round top. fortunately, there were no squids or other crazies on the road today. along the way, there are beautiful panoramic views of the southern coastline... although getting to the view is what the road is famous for :D:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/sound_wavez/motorcycle/tantalus.jpg

anways, took a few pics from the park and a lookout:

pic of ninjabrewer at the park:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/sound_wavez/motorcycle/DSC_0006.jpg

from one of the lookouts:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/sound_wavez/motorcycle/DSC_0010.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/sound_wavez/motorcycle/DSC_0012.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/sound_wavez/motorcycle/DSC_0014.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/sound_wavez/motorcycle/DSC_0016.jpg
i always wear gloves, just didn't have them on in the pic. that reflective piping on my jacket and pants really work :)
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/sound_wavez/motorcycle/DSC_0019.jpg

kkim
February 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM
Looks like fun!! Glad you guys made it up there and back in one piece. :thumbup: Watch out, that road can become habit forming. :(

How did NB like the shims?

Sound Wave
February 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM
yeah, the last time i went there, i was following a long-time rider. while he was waiting up for me, i was still trying to keep up with him. it was kind of stressful.

today, ninjabrewer and i just took it easy. it was a lot more enjoyable and relaxing to me.

he was saying that it seems more responsive in the lower revs. he also likes the way it sounds without the snorkel.

we did run into one snag with the fairings. same as with your windscreen rubber mounting nut, two of his left front rubber things ripped also (where the front and lower fairings meet). i can't believe how fast those things become brittle.

OldGuy
February 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
Wonder if I could check my 250 as baggage and come over for a ride. Just a thought.

NB - the "ID" on jacket. Site pass, DL, or ?

ninjabrewer
February 22nd, 2009, 12:30 AM
Looks like fun!! Glad you guys made it up there and back in one piece. :thumbup: Watch out, that road can become habit forming. :(

How did NB like the shims?

She is definitely more responsive in the lower revs, usually sluggish but the throttle response is quicker. Another thing we did was drop the rear shock from 4 to 1, the previous owner is quite a bit heavier than me and I was wondering why I was getting beat to death on these rough roads. Rides much smoother now.

nb

ninjabrewer
February 22nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Wonder if I could check my 250 as baggage and come over for a ride. Just a thought.

NB - the "ID" on jacket. Site pass, DL, or ?

Military ID, most of the military riders that I know have a pocket on the front, so we don't have to stop and pull it out when we go through the gates, most of the time, we push up the visor,they look then we go on through, once I have had to pull off my shades. :dancecool:

nb

sharky nrk
February 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
looks amazing - its snowing here :(

Blue Monkey
February 22nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Great pictures. Looks like a fun ride. I think I need to drop my rear shock too. I will have to look into doing that.

jpnfrk
February 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
NB- Is the ID pocket part of the jacket or is it like a removable thing you can 'pin' to any jacket?

Just curious because I'm thinking that could be something good to put some basic info for medics in case of an accident.

ninjabrewer
February 23rd, 2009, 01:32 AM
NB- Is the ID pocket part of the jacket or is it like a removable thing you can 'pin' to any jacket?

Just curious because I'm thinking that could be something good to put some basic info for medics in case of an accident.

I'm actually wearing two jackets, one is a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket. the other is just an ICON reflective vest, and it came with the ID pocket. It is velcroed on so I can take it off and stick it in my pocket if I need to. I wear the vest because I am required to by Army regs, if not I probably would not have gotten it. Granted, I am now on terminal leave and will be out the end of next month, but I believe to ride on base, whether or not I am active or retired, I will have to wear it. But anything that heightens my visibility is a plus. As for the basic info for medics, never really thought about, but that is a good idea, not sure if you could get them with just the velcro that you can sew on to any jacket. I haven't seen them, has anybody else?

nb

CRXTrek
February 23rd, 2009, 10:41 AM

Something like this would be good...

http://www.flyncycle.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=UTAGCRDBLI

http://www.flyncycle.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=UTAGDOGTIN

noche_caliente
February 23rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
I was going to get the utag for my dad at xmas, but then I found him a dremel set :shrug:
Posted via Mobile Device

Sound Wave
February 23rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
can those things get wet?

00v_Lucky
February 23rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
great shots! ill try and show you guys up when i roll with my friend down malibu!

Sound Wave
February 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
thanks! i should have taken a bunch of panoramic pictures and use one of those programs to stitch it. the view is amazing.

definitely post the malibu pics. no idea what that area looks like, but must be really nice too.

00v_Lucky
February 23rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
yea, i plan on riding there in about 2 weeks or so if the weather is forgiving.

xTKx
February 24th, 2009, 04:21 PM
:drool:

We've got some nice bends and curves out here on the county roads where I live at. But as far as the view, all we've got is fields of corn and some cows... :jealous: :rolleyes:

komohana
February 28th, 2009, 05:54 PM
cool shots!

good to know island bruddahs hooking up and logging some miles...

sw, know whatcha mean about keeping up with them long time riders and the stress involved. the guyz i rode with before always made it a challenge to keep up. but just as i do now riding with kkim who knows the only road worth carving here on kauai like the back of his hand, i won't leave my zone following him up the hill...(heck i think he gets tired of slowing down so he lets me lead half the dang time)... riding with kelly although fast paced is always comfortable and enjoyable. self induced pressure in this regard, is the worst kind...

anyway...if the superferry ever gets to dock on kauai....

WE GO RIDE!~! :ride::rock:

kkim
February 28th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Steve... just to be clear. When we ride, there's no pressure... you not holding anybody up. You ride your ride, I ride mine.... we still all have fun. There will be years of rides we share for you to get to learn that road and become comfortable with it. :thumbup:

Yep... SuperFerry comes to Kauai, there's gonna be one mess of 250 riders touring either island! :police2::outlaw2::outlaw4::outlaw3::outlaw1:

OldGuy
February 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Steve... just to be clear. When we ride, there's no pressure... you not holding anybody up. You ride your ride, I ride mine.... we still all have fun. There will be years of rides we share for you to get to learn that road and become comfortable with it. :thumbup:

Yep... SuperFerry comes to Kauai, there's gonna be one mess of 250 riders touring either island! :police2::outlaw2::outlaw4::outlaw3::outlaw1:

OK here's the deal. When the SuperFerry starts running, you hi-jack it to the west coast and we will all meet there and go riding. Then we all go back to Kelly's house for some "green bottles" and the next morning we ride his road.

What do think ?

kkim
February 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM
sounds like a plan!! :thumbup:

Although, there's a better chance of the SF going to the west coast than coming to Kauai... some of the locals (if you want to call them that :mad:) ran the SF off when they first started service here. Damn... SF is scared of coming back to Kauai now and have not resumed service since!! They run between Maui and Oahu, but not here!!! :rant:

ninjabrewer
February 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
anyway...if the superferry ever gets to dock on kauai....

WE GO RIDE!~! :ride::rock:

:happy110:

As for the SF, there is a new one order, still under construction in Mobile, AL. That one is supposed to be used for service to the Big Island, but it may have been put off because of the economy. Last I heard, SF has no plans to resume service to Kauai. :Cry:

nb

Sound Wave
February 28th, 2009, 07:51 PM
yeah, the dumb thing about kauai residents protesting the ferry was that majority of them weren't even really originally from kauai. they were mainlanders that moved there.

i think it would be great for both island's economies. but oh well.

sf to the big island.... now that would be a great ride! they must have some good roads.

komohana
March 1st, 2009, 01:35 AM

certainly kelly, there IS no pressure and was just using our ride as an example of what i was trying to say...that the only pressure in these situations is the pressure we can put on ourselves to keep up (or try to).

from that first day we hooked up, your words about the ride not being a race or an exercise of one's skill over another (not those exact words..hehe) have been embraced and proved true. there aren't many i'd choose to ride with my friend, and i'm glad to log mountain time with you.

my words about letting me go first so's i dont hold you back was more a statement about your skill on the hill, and not meant to mean anything else but that.

komohana
March 1st, 2009, 01:45 AM
OK here's the deal. When the SuperFerry starts running, you hi-jack it to the west coast and we will all meet there and go riding. Then we all go back to Kelly's house for some "green bottles" and the next morning we ride his road.

What do think ?

see!...THATS why i'd choose you to be on MY team!

:drinkpals:

Alex
May 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Here's a link (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=37751&postcount=13) to a google earth flyover of the tantalus route. There are instructions earlier in that thread on how to set up google earth for the best view.

Sound Wave
May 2nd, 2009, 03:12 AM
Here's a link (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=37751&postcount=13) to a google earth flyover of the tantalus route. There are instructions earlier in that thread on how to set up google earth for the best view.

thanks again for teaching me how to do it. if you make the angle steeper, then you can see the scenery, like diamond head, better imo.