View Full Version : Long Island, NY?

Pages : [1] 2

kayfouroh
February 22nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Anyone from around here? :D

noche_caliente
February 22nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
not I, but you might check out the member's map :) and welcome!

P1NDLESK1N
February 22nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
Long Beach eh? I'm further out east in Mastic.
Weathers been ******, but I've managed to take the bike out the few lucky days we've had the past 2 weeks.

kayfouroh
February 23rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Yeah, saw you on the map.

I've done the same -- gone out on the lucky 40 degree days and gone for a ride, usually just up and down the Meadowbrook.. nothing crazy, it's still cold.

djindia23
March 4th, 2009, 11:19 AM
im from new jersey... not sure exactly where long beach Ny is in respect to me... but from like queens and stuff im about 25 minutes....

kayfouroh
March 4th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Well here's a map from Jamaica (Queens) to Long Beach.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=jamaica,+ny+to+long+beach,+ny&sll=40.691182,-73.81053&sspn=0.049851,0.132179&gl=us&g=jamaica,+ny&ie=UTF8&z=12

chinasmurf
April 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hi! I'm in Nassau too North Merrick...

chinasmurf
April 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I use to live in N. Shirley

CC Cowboy
April 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I used to be. It was all potato farms when I lived there though.

CC Cowboy
April 14th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Smurf, how is Shirley?

bounceya
April 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Farmingville,LI

chinasmurf
April 27th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Not bad but it has gotten diverse for sure lol. I think the neighboring towns like Yaphank is farmy like

bounceya
April 28th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Not bad but it has gotten diverse for sure lol. I think the neighboring towns like Yaphank is farmy like

The more east u go the nicer the ride.

Grn99Kawi
May 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Nassau County here...

chinasmurf
May 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM
where in nassau?

Grn99Kawi
May 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM
South Shore.. not too far from you I believe.. You had PMd me about a meet in Merrick a month or so ago.

CC Cowboy
May 14th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hicksville Rules

P1NDLESK1N
May 14th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Not enough rain lately. :rolleyes:

cifex
May 26th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Lindenhurst.

I disagree with the better riding being out east. It gets kind of flat out there. I like the curves up on the north shore heading up to Loyd Neck and Ashoroken.

chinasmurf
May 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Zach:

I agree the 106 - 107 going north to bayville is a great ride...

Grn99Kawi
May 29th, 2009, 05:02 PM
ok.. so the sun might finally come back out after a week off.. any rides in the works?

chinasmurf
May 29th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Nothing as of yet- But I'm definetly gonna be out tommorrow!

Grn99Kawi
May 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Great day out there today.. should be good again tomorrow... chinasmurf did you ever do that meet up you told me about a month or so ago? Time for another one!

cifex
May 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Gunna take a ride out to Noyak Rd near the Hamtons tomorrow (Sunday). Supposed to be an awesome road. Let me know if interested.

P1NDLESK1N
May 30th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Noyak rd, thats out near shelter island right?

Mill/S River/Jones rd is also pretty nice, along with River rd.
Exit 69N off the LIE and head east on North st, takes you right into it.

cifex
May 31st, 2009, 08:14 AM
Yea. Cool, I'll check that out
Posted via Mobile Device

cifex
May 31st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Good trip out east. Found a LOT of good roads!

http://i43.tinypic.com/33ze5fn.jpg http://i43.tinypic.com/36054.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ije5c.jpg http://i42.tinypic.com/1z1vamq.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/v5d73q.jpg http://i43.tinypic.com/30uwsv6.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/s4c48z.jpg

Grn99Kawi
May 31st, 2009, 06:21 PM
for me.. I'll stick to Nassau.. lol... but the pics are great.

cifex
May 31st, 2009, 06:42 PM
I love those backroads and dirt paths. Not sure I bought the right kind of bike.... I might have to through some knobbies on my little Ninja. =P

Grn99Kawi
August 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Let's get something together.. this weekend is supposed to be raining I think... what day of the weekend is better Saturday or Sunday?

Even if we have to wait until next weekend... let's get something going.. a nice meet up. It could be something central to us all with perhaps some meeting spots along teh way....

What do you think?

DarkNinja52
August 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM
won't b back on the island until the 14th, then out to vegas for a few days, then back on the 22nd. i'm hoping to get a ton of practice this weekend though so hopefully ill b on the road with you guys soon. i like the initiative though and hope it keeps up.. group riding looks like a ton of fun and im excited to go with some other ninjas on the island

cifex
August 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM
This coming weekend is supposed to be sunny. Sat or Sun works for me.

cifex
August 10th, 2009, 08:59 AM
How bout we meet at the Trail View Parking Lot on Jericho in Syosset?

Google Map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid= 112007500187792752814.000470cba497863d30e7f)

shift_6
August 10th, 2009, 09:00 AM
we gon do an early morning ride or what? this weekend, sunday might be better. if i can come out whenever u guys settle on something i'll come out

DarkNinja52
August 10th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I'll be around this weekend, in the 516, i'm not sure how well my riding skills are .. still havent been on a highway, so i dont think i'll be participating yet. If i change my mind i'll let you know. How long did you guys have to practice before you felt you could handle higher speeds like highways/parkways?

cifex
August 10th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Did highways and parkways the first day. The local roads like Jericho / Montauk Highway / Sunrise / Hempstead Tpke are much more dangerous than the parkway.

Grn99Kawi
August 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM
So how about Sunday the 16th then? Early morning? I can't ride all day, but I would stay out until noon or so...

Darkninja: I put about 300 miles in 'local roads' before I went on the southern state.. went for one exit.. lol.. wow... then went out for some group rides and it was tons better... as cifex said the parkways are much better than some local roads like jericho, hempstead tpke and Sunrise... crazy cages out there.

If you are going to go, I'll shoot over to massapequa on the way to Syosset (if that is where we are meeting)

cifex
August 10th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Likewise, I would shoot over to Massapequa (its on the way anyway). We could block for you. I could ride up front and stun the cagers with my modulator, lol.

DarkNinja52
August 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Likewise, I would shoot over to Massapequa (its on the way anyway). We could block for you. I could ride up front and stun the cagers with my modulator, lol.

haha well i'll have to see how comfortable I am with riding. I'm doing much better since my fall. But hopefully transporting the bike to massapequa goes well and I should have a few days more worth of experience before then. Saturday I plan on doing some riding in the area and if I feel good about it, I'll definitely consider coming with you guys.

Also, Saturday is my 21st birthday, and I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, but Sunday morning might not be such a good time for me...

You guys should go ahead and plan everything as if I won't be coming because of all the "if's" and if I can make it, I'll just accomodate to your plans.

Im sure/hope they're will be more chances for me. I just don't want to force myself into an uncomfortable riding situation because I really want to go group riding.

Grn99Kawi
August 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM
OK.. so it looks like Sunday early morning... meet in Jericho? Where should we ride to?

shift_6: If you want to meet up on the way, let me know. I'm not too far from Queens (south shore though)

cifex
August 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM
It's a great ride along 25A, up to Loyde Neck, back down to 25A east, up to Ashoroken, back to 25A....out along 25A by Kings Park is awesome as well without getting too far east. Depends how long ya want to ride. I could plot it out on a Google Map and we'll just ride until were tired.

shift_6
August 11th, 2009, 08:04 AM
OK.. so it looks like Sunday early morning... meet in Jericho? Where should we ride to?

shift_6: If you want to meet up on the way, let me know. I'm not too far from Queens (south shore though)

won't be able to come out this sunday morning, enjoy the ride everyone. please ride safe, should be a lot of fun!

Grn99Kawi
August 11th, 2009, 08:04 AM
25A is a great ride... DarkNinja, you would be very comfortable on these roads...

What time and meeting places can we come up with? P1NDLESKIN, you going to make it? I know there are a few more LIers around here too..

DarkNinja52
August 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I know 25A, it goes right by stony brook, I'll definitely consider it, NY roads are a bit different than PA but currently im having trouble keeping up with traffic going about 45mph, i'm afraid to really roll on the throttle, i feel like everythign is going to fast and I just want to slow down, I don't have a problem driving my car at 100+ speeds but I think I still feel a little unsafe on the bike. I've got a few days so hopefully that will improve though.

cifex
August 11th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I just PM'd a few people.

Those side roads going up to Loyd neck and Ashoroken are not fast roads either, nice cruising windy, hilly roads.

P1NDLESK1N
August 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I might be free, just depends on how the work week goes. :thumbup:

cifex
August 11th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Here is a map of my proposed route.

http://i32.tinypic.com/23rpd93.jpg

Start at Trail View park on Jericho. Take Woodbury Rd up to 25A, then follow W Neck Road out to Loyd Neck / Caumsett State Park and back to 25A. East on 25A to Ocean Ave and up to Ashoroken (you'll think you are in california or something) and back to 25A. Ride Middleville / Sunken meadow Rd (awesome rd, you guys will probably want to make this loop a few times) and then take 25A back to Syosset.

DarkNinja52
August 11th, 2009, 11:02 AM
damn, im really excited for this. i've been stuck at work all day and just want to take my bike out and go practice so bad

Grn99Kawi
August 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
DarkNinja: When are you bringin the bike to NY? Today or tomorrow?

DarkNinja52
August 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM
friday after work, my internship ends friday, and right after work im leaving for NY. so to be more accurate, Friday night around 9:30 - 10:00pm I will be arriving in north massapequa with my baby. I'm not doing anything at work anyway, i just sit there for 8 hours and wait for the day to end, but theyre paying me and I owe my dad money, so i kinda need to stick around till friday. Sorry if i gave the impression that i'll be around today or tomorrow. I reserved the uhaul truck today tho!

cifex
August 14th, 2009, 10:57 AM
So what time should we meet up Sunday morning?

Grn99Kawi
August 14th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'd say around 7:30 or 8am? How does that sound?

shift_6
August 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM
anyone gon be riding today/tonight? 917.518.6609

might be down for sunday if i don't hit up the beach

cifex
August 14th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I am going for a ride in about an hour when I leave work.

730-8AM sounds good. Let me know if you guys want to meet at Trail View on Jericho in Syosset or if you want to meet near Dark Ninja in Massapequa and ride up together. I am right in Copiague.

Grn99Kawi
August 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I just found out that one of my throttle cables is about 1 metal strand from snapping.. it felt odd so I just took it apart.. I'm going to see if I can get one tomorrow... if not.. I might not be able to go...

Grn99Kawi
August 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
OK.. nobody has the cable.. even Ron Ayers needs 7-10 days to get it.. The closing cable is really holding on to one strand.. but it works.. I don't think it would be wise to risk such a long ride with it though. I bought a low mileage set off ebay from an 07 and they should be here by Wed I hope... I should be good for next weekend though...

Sorry guys.. I was really looking forward to the ride.. but the last thing I need is to be stuck and ruin the ride...

Adam

DarkNinja52
August 14th, 2009, 11:09 PM
i think you only really need 1 cable for it to work properly, not sure , read that somewhere, but i wouldn't risk it.

cifex
August 15th, 2009, 02:22 PM
still in darkninja?
Posted via Mobile Device

P1NDLESK1N
August 15th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I most likely won't be riding tomorrow morning.

I am making plans to check out a fair priced newgen sometime this weekend though, thats just as good as riding imo. ;)

DarkNinja52
August 15th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I would much rather next weekend if that's alright?
im about to take the bike out for a bit, but still getting used to riding at around 45 - 55mph, seem to have a hard time getting to those speeds without slowing down traffic for miles. I would like to build some more confidence before i attempt some group riding.

cifex
August 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Fair enough. I won't be around next weekend. Motorbike-camping trip. Ride safe
Posted via Mobile Device

DarkNinja52
August 15th, 2009, 05:51 PM
week after? im free up until i have to put the bike away (assuming i actually get the hang of this stuff and can ride and shift and do things without saying to myself "wtf, i need to go back on ninjette and see if i can get more help")

Grn99Kawi
August 16th, 2009, 01:22 PM
glad to see you made it over here without issues..

It's damn hot out there.. I took the bicycle out before... wish I was able to get out this morning.. but I heard that troopers were doing motorcycle checks on the meadowbrook this morning.. so I guess it was a good day to stay home (or at least away from teh south shore)... not that we have to worry about tickets, but who needs the aggravation..

Adam

DarkNinja52
August 16th, 2009, 03:32 PM
the riders around here dont seem as friendly as they did in PA. no waves or anything yet, I even stopped to talk a ninja zx-10 and he wasn't very welcoming.

so far the two guys with sports bikes around here that i've stopped to talk to love to point out the scratches on the side of my bike from when I fell, as if i didn't know they were there.

I've made some progress on the bike but havent taken it on any main roads yet, last time i thought i was confident enough to do so i ended up holding up traffic while i fiddled with the gears and slowed down for a turn about 4 days ahead of time.

I havent been on the bike as much as i should have been because i havent been feeling well, so i went to the doc and it turns out i have bronchitis and a sinus infection which were caused by bad allergies. My dad's taking me to vegas for a few days this week for my birthday so hopefully ill be better by tuesday, but i also really wish i had more time this week to practice because i would love to try to get something together the coming weekend or the weekend after, seeing as many people were unavailable today.

I think the weekend after would be best seeing how Zach won't be available next weekend and it would also give me more practice time.

Also, as of september school starts, and I will be living in centereach where I plan to keep my bike (if i can ride it there). So what do you think the safest way to ride it to centereach from massapequa would be. and how much experience do you think i would need to be able to get this done?

Grn99Kawi
August 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
DN: Don't sweat it.. some riders are just who they are.. if those clowns feel better by pointing out your scratches.. whatever.. I'm sure they have done worse...

Go at your own pace.. I wish we could have made the ride happen today.. group riding with the right people is SO much better than riding alone.. the pace is set according to the riders.. everyone is there to help.. you'll see that your skills will develop each time you ride... btw.. I'm no expert.. I just took the MSF last week and only have about 950 miles under my belt...

DarkNinja52
August 16th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words,
I've got about 200 miles of back roads and side streets and about 5 miles of main streets (from coming back from the dealer and small attempts at going onto a faster paced road). I think im just impatient because I dont like feeling so restricted, but atleast im safe about it, and I understand that it is all a learning process.
Since its something I really want to do, i don't mind putting in the time to practice, i have noticed that each time i take the bike out, i feel more confident and my movements are smoother. Im just excited and can't wait to really be able to use my bike to go places and see things and group rides and such.

But I do have to find a way to get the bike to centreach because I would like to beable to commute to school for a while until i have to winterize the bike, if thats what people do around here. sometimes the winters arent so bad but if it does snow... oh man it snows

DarkNinja52
August 16th, 2009, 05:28 PM
took the bike out again for another hour or so till it got dark, made more progress and confidence, and two sports bikes waved when they went by as i pulled out of my driveway.
overall better experience than earlier today. still have trouble keeping cars right up my rear, maybe its because the speedo reads a little bit lower than my true speed so that might be part of it, but tomorrow i'll hit up hicksville road for a bit and maybe sunrise highway. figured you guys wanted an update (sarcasm)

but seriously read my above posts and lets figure something out because i really wanted things to work out for today but just dont have the experience yet.

kkim
August 16th, 2009, 05:33 PM
ride about 10% over the posted speed limit and you'll be going the posted speed. ie: 40 mph zone... ride 45 on your speedo.

DarkNinja52
August 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM
ride about 10% over the posted speed limit and you'll be going the posted speed. ie: 40 mph zone... ride 45 on your speedo.

Thanks Kelly, didn't expect you to be around this thread :D but I appreciate it :thumbup:

cifex
August 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm now 3800 miles in. Took the MSf last fall and bought the ninja end of April. Waiting sucked so bad. I found an AWESOME route alteration heading up to Loyd neck when you guys are ready. Snake Hill Rd to Jennings. I'll try to work Sweet Hollow Rd in there too.
Posted via Mobile Device

cifex
August 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM
You get your cable Adam?

Grn99Kawi
August 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM
It should be here today.. I just got home.. waiting for it.

Grn99Kawi
August 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
We're good to go.. bike feels brand new... I'll post a pic of the offending cable later..

DarkNinja52
August 22nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
**warning, update on my life, get a snack or skip to the last part**

Finally back in NY. Took the bike out for the first time since the 17th and almost got ran over from behind, an old man almost backed in front of me as he pulled out of his drive way (way too close for my comfort, i checked the tach for a sec and next thing I know half a car is sticking out into the street), harassed by kids because I wouldnt do a wheelie at a stop sign, and almost killed by a guy in a tuck who thought it was ok to use the center of the street instead of just his side.

But other than that, considering it's been a few days since i've been on the bike, i was fairly comfortable on the bike, maneuvered pretty decently around obstacles (and cars coming out of drive ways), shifted up and accelerated to about 50 on a fairly long back road relatively quick, down shifted without a problem (except once.. high rpms plus shifting into first = almost going for a flight).

really want to get out of my neighborhood but im afraid of traffic. hopefully thatll change tomorrow. within a few days I should be good for group riding and larger roads.

If anyone is in the area or is passing through massapequa and wouldn't mind taking a quick ride around this area with me for a few tips and pointers that would be awesome.

But next weekend would be great to do something if i continue to practice a few hours a day.

cifex
August 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Got in around 9PM last night from my epic 800 mile round trip up to Fair Haven Beach State Park on Lake Ontario. Definitely a great ride. Post up some pics later. Quick weekday ride this week?

Grn99Kawi
August 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Weekday... interesting.. the only weekday that possibly looks remotely possible for me is Wednesday.. any ideas where?

Thursday Yankee game.. booyah!

DarkNinja52
August 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Wednesday might be good if i don't stall in an intersection again today.

cifex
August 24th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Are you still in break in DarkNinja?

Forget to downshift coming the light?

DarkNinja52
August 24th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Are you still in break in DarkNinja?

Forget to downshift coming the light?

Yea about 300 miles on the bike, don't know if i should change the oil yet or wait.

lol no i remembered to downshift. was waiting for the light to change to make a left turn, (no left turn signal at the intersection) so the light went green, i pulled up into the middle of the intersection and waited for a break in on coming traffic so i can turn. i was being careful and didnt want to take any risky moves seeing how im still getting used to the bike especially on a main road.

so i passed up a small opportunity to make the left, didnt want to rush it, but the guy behind me was right up my ass, and being an asshole but i was like w/e f him. so i waited till i had space to go, and i was like let me get the f out of here... let go of the clutch a tad too fast and stalled. restarted and got out fairly quickly but it still sucked. its hard to give a slow clutch release when it feels like everything else is going so fast. I guess i gota learn to pre release the clutch a little bit so i dont have to do it all at once :) but im gettin the hang of things, just gota get used to fast moving traffic.

but tonite i went for a night ride for the first time, i had my brother take his car out for a bit so i can follow him and have someone around if something happens. but did some main roads and traffic lights and things and it went fine, just having trouble accelerating off a start and then keeping speed while i shift, i try to do it fast but i always seem to slow down a lot, some asshole had to pass me and my bro just as the lanes merged , i saw him comin up behind and was afraid he was just gona cut me off and not care.. and he did, although i was doing about 5mph over the limit he felt he had to do about 20mph over (he was prob doin 60 in a 40).

and i've heard that the spedo is about 10% faster than actual speed so i keep that in mind sometimes. im also afraid of attracting the attention of the 5 - 0 b/c 1. im riding a bike, and its red. 2. i have PA plates on the bike, and 3. im riding a bike. I've noticed they seem to love bikers

/my nonsense

Grn99Kawi
August 24th, 2009, 07:10 PM
What time Wednesday would you guys be thinking of?

Grn99Kawi
August 25th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Is the weekday ride dead? lol

I might have some time mid day...

DarkNinja52
August 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM
haha i have no idea whats goin on, apparently...
i have to move into my apartment sometime soon, so i'll prob be busy for a day or so, not sure when. these things are hard to plan cuz everyone seems to have a lot goin on

dimeified
August 26th, 2009, 05:33 PM
So i took my first trip up the NJ Turnpike, over the GWB, down the cross bronx, over the throgs, down the cross island, and down jehrico turnpike in long island. It was A TON of fun, however it was also VERY dangerous.

on the turnpike, a piece of what looked like drop ceiling was flying in the air, about 1x1 square foot i'd say, and it almost hit me. Then 2 minutes later, another one actually did, it hit my left foot and the left front fairing, luckily it didnt scratch it but it left dirt all over that i was later able to wipe off. Also on the cross bronx, i almost ran over what looked to me like a rusty catalytic converter or muffler. I wasn't keeping 4 seconds distance and I only missed it by chance. KEEP 4 SECOND DISTANCE! Other than that, everything went without a hitch, i was able to take a trip to wallmart to pick up a bike cover (19 bucks!) and now im all set for the night.

Also, my EZ pass tag is on the crossbar under my seat cowel. Originally it wouldnt scan in jersey tolls until i started riding in the center of the lane. I actually had a problem with it scanning at the throgs neck bridge. Then i backed up my bike, and i saw the gate lift. I also saw a guard on the right side of the gate, not the left, so im not sure weather he let me through or not. I hope it doesn't happen again on the way home, cause if a guard isnt there to let me through again i'll hold up a line of traffic.

DarkNinja52
August 26th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Well now we all know why I put my bike in a uhaul to get it from PA to NY, im actually about to post those pictures on an older thread i started. Kind of funny.

But glad to hear you made it alright, I don't even like driving in the city at all. Can't imagine having to take a bike through there, or on the NJ tpk. Good job.

People in NY don't like it when motorcycles hold up traffic. They don't seem to take too kindly to them. Considering I was almost run off the road twice today, (once where i locked up my front brake and almost died because some woman decided she need the space on the road that I happen to be occupying.

cifex
August 26th, 2009, 09:50 PM
That sounds like the leisure route from hell!
Posted via Mobile Device

dimeified
August 26th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I have to be honest Zach, although it was scary, it was CERTAINLY entertaining. For the record, i never drove through "the city." Once you go over the GW you shoot across town on the Cross Bronx Expressway past the east end of the island all the way to long island, so there was no NYC riding. However i still wonder what would've happened if that muffler or catalytic converter or whatever it was happened to be 4 inches to the left, rather than flying by right under my right foot.

cifex
August 27th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I'm familiar. I snowboard, so I drive it almost every weekend in the winter. Though when I ride upstate now, I typically get off the Cross Bronx right at the beginning and hop on the Bronx River --> Sprain Brook --> Tapanzee. Saves A LOT of time in traffic. Good thing you avoided that thing! You also gotta be carefully of the deep impressions. There are 6 inch deep tire tracks in the pavement from all the traffic.

cifex
August 27th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Anyone up for a quick jaunt tonight? Haven't ridden since Sunday! :(

DarkNinja52
August 27th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I'm gona test out sunrise highway later tonight, and maybe the southern state for the first time. I was almost killed by a woman in a car yesterday so im a little eh..
I also don't have proper leg protection but can't seem to afford it quite yet or would even know where to go around here for something like that because I dont want to wait for delivery if i order on line. So those two things said Idk if i should get on the southern state, but I really want to try it because I have to take my bike up to Stony Brook very soon.

cifex
August 27th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Southern State is way safer than Sunrise. I'll be home from work around 6pm. You want company?

DarkNinja52
August 27th, 2009, 01:40 PM
sure, i don't plan on takin the bike out till like 7, yesterday at 6 is when i almost got hit, too much traffic, how far are you from seaford/massapequa?

cifex
August 27th, 2009, 01:54 PM
5 minutes. I'm right in copiague south of montauk.

DarkNinja52
August 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM
5 minutes. I'm right in copiague south of montauk.

k cool, i live just north of sunrise and 107. so i can meet you somewhere on sunrise if you want, but I've only been on sunrise for like 30 seconds, then turned off the road and thats where i almost got killed.

Where do you want to meet up, what evers easier for you. you have my fone #? or should i pm you?

cifex
August 27th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I'll meet you over by Brady Park at 7pm (Thats the one at the start of the bike trails near Mass Park Station) You know what I'm talking about?

My cell is 6316262644. Text me so I have yours.

DarkNinja52
August 27th, 2009, 02:36 PM
sent you a text, i found brady park, what times good for you?

DarkNinja52
August 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM
also be prepared for a small q&a bc i have no idea what im doin sometimes.. i'll prob ask how much play does your throttle have and wtf is a swingarm.. etc...

cifex
August 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Didn't get a text. Pm me your number. I'll be there at 7 sharp.
Posted via Mobile Device

Grn99Kawi
August 27th, 2009, 03:53 PM
damn.. I just got in from Yankee Stadium.. and I'm wiped out or I would have met up with your guys.

dimeified
August 27th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I'm in garden city, just got back from friday's with the girlfriend, but we're prolly going to see an outdoor movie, otherwise i would've like to meet up too.

Grn99Kawi
August 27th, 2009, 03:57 PM
dimeified: Do you live in GC or are you just visiting? Your location is lsited as Fairfield NJ. The weekend could be iffy, but maybe we can plan a Sunday morning cruise for a few of us?

cifex
August 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Good ride! Dark did good. We went up to the north shore and loyd neck did some nice night time winding roads. Hit sweet hollow on the way. Damn, don't think I'll be back around till Sunday afternoon or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

DarkNinja52
August 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Good ride zach. I still need some practice, especially at night considering this was my first night experience, and also my first southern state/ bethpage parkway ride.

The wind was ridiculous, more than was prepared for. Maybe it was just a windy night, idk.

Those were some good roads, nice scenery too, went past a lake and people fishing and things, its was cool. I'm not too great on hills yet because they are so rare around here but I'm alive now and tahts all that matters.

My mirrors are really loose and get pushed around by the wind, I have the allen keys right next to me so im about to go fix those bad boys, wish me luck.

cifex
August 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM
That wasn't a lake. We were actually riding along a thin strip out to loydneck. Loyd harbor to the left some other harbor to the right
Posted via Mobile Device

DarkNinja52
August 27th, 2009, 07:39 PM
That wasn't a lake. We were actually riding along a thin strip out to loydneck. Loyd harbor to the left some other harbor to the right
Posted via Mobile Device

haha well it looked like a lake in the dark. just proves that i really had no idea where we were half the time.

I know area around centereach and stony brook a little bit better but i think that was further east. i get kinda lost with everything in between.

Fixed my mirror btw, didnt have the right size allen key, but i made it work anyway... prob gona regret that at one point down the road. The little rubber thing on the mirror is alittle loose tho and i dont want it to pop off cuz then you can see the metal bolt under it. think im gona have to find me some super glue

dimeified
August 28th, 2009, 05:22 AM
dimeified: Do you live in GC or are you just visiting? Your location is lsited as Fairfield NJ. The weekend could be iffy, but maybe we can plan a Sunday morning cruise for a few of us?

just visiting, im shooting back to nj before the hurricane comes, i hate this weather!

cifex
August 28th, 2009, 08:45 AM
This was our route basically. Snake Hill Rd. was the up hill very twisty section where you said you had a little trouble.

http://i26.tinypic.com/300tg8j.jpg

DarkNinja52
August 28th, 2009, 11:42 AM
wow that was quite a trip considering i've barely taken my bike off my block and also haven't taken it out at night either. It's so weird at night, i feel like everything is trying to kill me.

I think I did alright, except for skidding into the on coming traffic lane once and having a bit of a wobbling problem on another turn, and forgeting to shift into first when we stopped on the side to let a car pass. But I did fine at the gas station for what its worth haha.

That really was an interesting trip. Never rode with another bike before so I was half confused about where to be while I was riding and at stop signs and traffic lights and things.

and btw zach, my "7pm sharp" comment regarding your post was a joke, lol so i hope you didn't think I was upset that you were 5 minutes behind schedule.

Grn99Kawi
August 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM
man I wished I could have made it.. I was so tired when I got home...

DarkNinja52
August 30th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I am officially living in centereach for the rest of the year, time for school. I have my bike with me though!

dimeified
August 30th, 2009, 12:51 PM
well i'm usually in L.I. each or every other week, so i'll let u guys know when i'll be around next. BTW the ride back to jerz wasnt bad, i didnt get stuck at the throgs toll either. I also didn't get stuck in the 6" tire grooves cause i remembered the warning, and took the lower GW level. Route 80 is TONS of fun, i love riding 85+, safely of course.

cifex
August 31st, 2009, 11:03 AM
Good to hear Bill.

Anyone up for a ride tonight?

DarkNinja52
August 31st, 2009, 10:55 PM
im still getting my class schedule and work schedule figured out, so im gona be MIA for the week or so, but as soon as i get into a routine ill have time for some rides again

bounceya
September 1st, 2009, 02:01 AM
Anyone around Farmingville, Long Island?

cifex
September 1st, 2009, 05:59 AM
I believe DarkNinja is staying in Centerreach which is about 5 min away.

I'm about 30 minutes away in Copiague.

P1NDLESK1N
September 1st, 2009, 10:34 AM
Had a wonderful ride from exit 68 to 25 and back on the LIE last night. I'll be sure to invite you guys along next time. :rolleyes:

But wtf happened to the temperatures? Was pretty cold out east, not so much out in queens. But now News12 says 50-58* tonight? :eek:

cifex
September 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM
You ride on the LIE for fun or you were going somewhere?

P1NDLESK1N
September 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Dropped the woman off at her dorm room. School starts back up again tomarrow.
Not everyone chooses to be a bum like me. :o

Kawasabi
September 1st, 2009, 12:05 PM
When you guys venture into Manhattan or Jersey, let me know. :D

I got a shinny red one waiting by the Holland. :D

dimeified
September 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Had a wonderful ride from exit 68 to 25 and back on the LIE last night. I'll be sure to invite you guys along next time. :rolleyes:

But wtf happened to the temperatures? Was pretty cold out east, not so much out in queens. But now News12 says 50-58* tonight? :eek:

dude i froze my ass off this morning in my mesh jacket. september is here.

P1NDLESK1N
September 1st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Yup, definitely glad my mesh yoshi jacket has a removable full sleeve liner. :cool:

DarkNinja52
September 2nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
Anyone around Farmingville, Long Island?

I am, i was there yesterday for a quick ride.

I believe DarkNinja is staying in Centerreach which is about 5 min away.

I'm about 30 minutes away in Copiague.

Yup, probably less than 5 minutes.

cifex
September 2nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Frack.....3 beautiful days I've missed this week. I need to find my damn key!

Grn99Kawi
September 3rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
cifex: you lost your bike key? I hope not...

More than likely I'll be riding with a buddy Sunday morning.. we're thinkin North Shore.. 25A or maybe even going further out east... let me know if anyone wants to meet up.

DarkNinja52
September 3rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
im right off 25 and 25A, near nicholls road/suffold service road 97. i may join this sunday, im still a mess because school just started so i may or may not be busy

cifex
September 4th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I found it. I can prob do a Sunday ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

DarkNinja52
September 4th, 2009, 02:51 PM
yo whats the best place to get my bike serviced on LI? its time for my first service at 600miles, im at like 550 ::eek:: and need somewhere thats not only going to service the bike, but adjust a few things to the way they should be as opposed to "just barely meeting standards". my choke lever blows, the cable is ridic loose and has a ton of play, and i cant fix it unless i take off the fairings, and im not lookin to do that yet, so its still under warranty and i want them to do it right this time. I'm not sure if the rearsets are supposed to be loose but my right one is wobbly a whole ton. but yea where can i get my baby service? i would love to do it myself using the DIY but i dont have the tools/time/experience/money to fix it when i mess it up.

cifex
September 4th, 2009, 04:11 PM
All you really need for the rearset and fairings is s $5 metric hex key set. Actually they r in the toolkit under the pillion. I got my 600 miles service at crazy freddy's for 175. Cross bay motorsports is closer to you on sunrise highway in Brentwood I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

cifex
September 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM
PS. You should definitely at least tighten the rearset before riding to the stealership
Posted via Mobile Device

Grn99Kawi
September 4th, 2009, 06:48 PM
DarK: I think I have your # (PA number).. cifex I'll PM you tomorrow when I finalize when and where... we will probably leave here (western nassau) between 7:30 and 8.. we might shoot by Jones beach to the causeway and then up to the Sag.. not sure.. otherwise we'll go straight on the southern state to the Sag to get to 25A

DarkNinja52
September 4th, 2009, 08:24 PM
its my cell phone that i use everywhere, it just has a PA area code because thats just where my dad pays the bills.

I'll check out crossbay motorsports

Grn99Kawi
September 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM
PM sent to DN and cifex.. if anyone else is lookin to meet up, reply

P1NDLESK1N
September 5th, 2009, 02:04 PM
We talkin tomorrow morning or tomorrow night?

Grn99Kawi
September 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM
mornin

cifex
September 6th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Good ride today. We met up at Captree, rode up across the Robert Moses bridge with wild cross wind up to SSP and to sagtikos / sunken meadow parkway up to kings park. Pulaski rd through nissequogue state park (loony bin). Got on sunken meadow rd west where I promptly dumped the bike in the first turn. Came at it much too fast straightened out and scrubbed pfff most of my speed but ass soon as the front wheel hit the sand all over the outside of the turn I dropped it. Was prob doing 10mph and slid 10ft across the sandy pavement. Got right up, unhurt. Was wearing textile jacket and jeans. Icon leg armor under jeans and icon back protector. Jeans ripped a bit at the knee bit didn't really notice. Slid on my hip which was unprotected bit the jeans were fine. Little minor rash on my forearm through the jacket and jammed my finger. Glad I was atgatt. Blinker broke off and cracked fairings. All 3 fairings scraped. Once the bike started up we headed to ashoroken. Then snake hill rd to Loyd neck. Woodbury rd south to stillwell woods. Cut through sweet hollow rd down to ssp and parted ways. Definitely had a good time. Looking forward to next ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

Grn99Kawi
September 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Was really good to meet you Zach.. sorry abuot the drop but thank god you were okay.. that turn was bad enough even without the sand.. I hit the brakes pretty hard right behind you right before you I saw you.

The rest of the ride was great.. you really know some twisties.. my buddy John was loving the whole deal as you saw.

Definately will meet up again.. and I want to one day own a home in Asharoken.. great views. :)

DarkNinja52
September 6th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Cool sounds it was a good time guys.

Sorry to hear about your drop Zach, but good to hear that you're alright though.

I wish i could have made it out, my bike is a little bit past 600 miles and I want to get her serviced before I do any more big riding. Aside from that I hadn't checked the forum in a few days anyway so that was my bad.

I've been doing a lot of riding around here lately and have become a lot more comfortable with the bike. I take roads like 25/middle country road, 97/nicholls road, and 16/portion road. I can definitely feel an improvement in my riding so I feel I should be fine on which ever roads we take. Last time I went out with Zach I was a little easy on the throttle because I was still unsure of how it responds to a lot of throttle.

Lately I've been alright with higher speeds and keeping up with traffic on different roads so I think I'll be fine on which ever roads we end up riding on next time. It just takes me a while to speed up sometimes for some reason... it might still be my over cautions throttle habit.

P1NDLESK1N
September 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Ah Zach that blows, good your alright though.

I gotta get some new rubber asap, I can feel the bike is starting to hate corners. :eek:

P1NDLESK1N
September 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Had a wonderful ride from exit 68 to 25 and back on the LIE last night. I'll be sure to invite you guys along next time. :rolleyes: ...

SO WHO WANTS TO COME TONIGHT? Leaving in 30min. :p

Grn99Kawi
September 7th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Sorry bro.. work tomorrow... oh the humanity!

P1NDLESK1N
September 7th, 2009, 08:53 PM
No worries, decided to take the car last minute. I know how much you wanted to make that commute with me. :rolleyes:

cifex
September 8th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Blinker fixed, tail light fixed, chain cleaned n lubed, oil changed, abs cement ordered..... productive day indeed.

DarkNinja52
September 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
nice, good work. the cement is for the cracks? (just asking bc idk how these things work)

I'm still waiting to take the bike to crossbay motorsports, was supposed to call today but i had a really frustrating day with classes today... but on the other I hand brought the bike to campus and got a ton of compliments. (but now im at like 625 miles on the bike and dont want to break 700 before i get it serviced) how long does the servicing usually take? because im not lookin forward to takin the car back to school after today haha

DarkNinja52
September 13th, 2009, 09:14 PM
damn im jealous. im still waitin for my first servicing, its been raining and i had to reschedule my appointment for wednesday. i havent taken the bike out lately because I dont want to pass 700 miles before the first servicing. i've still been a little bit hesitant to just use WOT on the bigger streets when im acclerating, i feel like the bike will just fly out from under me. so there have been a few cars that have tried to race me and they usually just fly passed me because im not really lookin to race anyone or anything yet. i guess im too overcautious.

cifex
September 18th, 2009, 06:41 AM
We'll see what happens. I might be MTB'ing Sat morning.

cifex
September 18th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Bumped into Diane on the way home from work. She is easy to spot with the flames. Attempted helmut to helmet communication at the light....FAIL. Lol, think she understood "forum" though.
Posted via Mobile Device

DarkNinja52
September 18th, 2009, 09:37 PM
got the bike serviced finally
i suck at riding on roads that require more than 55mph bc the spedo on these things suck and i have no idea how fast i am really going and because the wind resistance is a little bit ridiculous considering i weigh 135, but im fine with my backpack on, kind of helps weigh me down.
i doubt ill be up for 9 30 tomorrow, also idk how i feel about 500's bc i was barely able to keep up with zach on his 250.
ive seen 2 250's at my school, red and blue, wanted to see who owned them but had to get to class. maybe i can find out this week

Alex
September 20th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Great pic!

Grn99Kawi
September 21st, 2009, 03:19 PM
That is a great pic.. you do some really nice ride Ducati.. wonder if I could handle such a long ride.. Are you planning anything around Nassau County soon? It's starting to find good times to ride for me lately.. I've been riding to work though.. man is it cold in the mornings...

cifex
September 21st, 2009, 08:00 PM
Aha, the giant duck. Seen that on a few rides. I found a great road on a ride Sunday. Nissequogue river road.
Posted via Mobile Device

cifex
September 22nd, 2009, 05:08 AM
We'll definitely rode soon. MTB and climbing get added onto the priority list in fall though so it makes for a busy season.
Posted via Mobile Device

winnie5354
September 22nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hi Ducatiman,
Would you tell us where can we find "the Duck"?
Thank you!

cifex
September 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
lol. Welcome to the forum Winnie. It's the entrance / info center for Sears Bellows County Park on 24 in Flanders (near Riverhead).

winnie5354
September 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks a lot, Zach. Hopefully, I could get there, take a pic, and make it back to Jericho in 1 piece to post my duck pic here this weekend =D

Hopefully, I could become "Kate #2" - making it to NYC someday.

Winnie (still novice after 200+ miles)

kkim
September 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Winnie (still novice after 200+ miles)

you need to ride more. :)

been practicing lately?

winnie5354
September 22nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hi Kelly,

Yup, I've been practicing within 10 miles of Jericho once a week.

Still very bad in turning, especially 90 degree type, always early apex, dropped my bike on the left 2 weeks ago during turn since I was heading to the curb again while turning, instead of jump up the curb like last time, i braked, bike dropped, my friend was there blocking the traffic from behind. It's not a crash, just dropped, got few bruises.

Now my bike is perfectly balance - cracked left and right fairings =p

winnie5354
September 22nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
winnie, we're talkin a haul on the LIE here, you ok on that? You may want to ride out with others.

i read you dropped on a low speed turn, if i may offer an idea to get used to tight turns.....
get to an empty large parking lot (such as a home depot). utilize a reference point (a cardboard box or a paint spot, whatever... and practice turning around it in varying degrees of lean , radii (?) ,speed and distance from it. do lefts, then rights. You want to be able to hit the same decided mark every time, make your turn smoothly, without correction. Target your eyes on where you want to go, NOT on what you are trying to avoid. Just an idea to try. it will also help you learn the bikes limitations ,feel and its response to your inputs.
Have you taken MSF course or any riding lessons?
stay tuned for local ride invitations. You can even meet and ride with Kate, a very sweet young lady who's come a long way.

Thanks, Ducatiman. I did go to close parking lot and practice figure 8, but probably, I didn't have enough practice so that I rarely hit the same desire mark :D Believe it or not, I took MSF beginner course already, and I dropped their bike during lesson also.

I think if I stay riding in a slow pace (around posted speed limit), plan out everything, i should be ok.

2 weeks ago, I was following my friend too close (according to my ability of course) and we didn't plan any route, and he made an impromptu left turn on to a road, I didn't brake enough, and followed by turned in too early and started to lose the turn and I pulled the brake and dropped... I thought I was up to "speed" (normal biker), but I was wrong.

I would definitely love to have group ride, just afraid that I would take away other's fun since I am slow.

winnie5354
September 23rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the advice, Ducatiman. I will try to control myself not to crave for the Duck =p

My weekend practice would be either within my neighborhood (few blocks radius) in residential area or ride to Center Island. If anyone see a rider with light blue jacket and a lowered green 250R, please don't think that I am rude, because whenever I've seen other biker, they would give me "hi" hand signal, but my balance is not that good so that I wouldn't free up my hand to "hi" back. My way of "hi" would be turned my head and quick look at you =p

cifex
September 23rd, 2009, 08:04 AM
As long as you are going more than about 7 or 8 mph, the motorcycle keeps itself upright...no hands required. A head nod is a perfectly acceptable greeting. :thumbup:

What's the planting fields? I ride 25A and north A LOT, but not usually Nassau since it gets kind of congested.

cifex
September 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM
What's that little biker hut on 25A around Fort Solonga / Centerport? Heading east its right on a deep left bend and right before a deep right at the marina that usually has sand in it. I always see bikes over there but forget to stop and check it out. That place any good?

winnie5354
September 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
Thank you, Ducatiman and Zach. I will node my head next time. Looking forward to catch up with you guys +D

cifex
September 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
Ride tonight, anyone?

DarkNinja52
September 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM
im free till 5 tomorrow, plan on doin some riding around centereach/selden/farmingville, just getting to konw the area i guess. if anyone is around or w/e hit me up

Grn99Kawi
September 25th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I rode to work 3 out of 5 days this week.. got my fix.. lol

I have put just about 1,500 miles on the bike.. picked up a freeway blaster horn at Advance Auto to install tomorrow. honked at 3 idiots on the ride home.. tired of the road runner beep beep horn...

I hope that the weather stays nice.. would be nice to get another month of ridin in..

DarkNinja52
September 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Aha, the giant duck. Seen that on a few rides. I found a great road on a ride Sunday. Nissequogue river road.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Ducatiman,
Would you tell us where can we find "the Duck"?
Thank you!

i'm down for a group trip to go see the duck! if anyone is headin out there!

Thanks, Ducatiman. I did go to close parking lot and practice figure 8, but probably, I didn't have enough practice so that I rarely hit the same desire mark :D Believe it or not, I took MSF beginner course already, and I dropped their bike during lesson also.

I think if I stay riding in a slow pace (around posted speed limit), plan out everything, i should be ok.

2 weeks ago, I was following my friend too close (according to my ability of course) and we didn't plan any route, and he made an impromptu left turn on to a road, I didn't brake enough, and followed by turned in too early and started to lose the turn and I pulled the brake and dropped... I thought I was up to "speed" (normal biker), but I was wrong.

I would definitely love to have group ride, just afraid that I would take away other's fun since I am slow.

I dropped the MSF bike as well.. wasnt fun
then i dropped my brand new ninja.. not fun either...
its not the end of the world

im still learning alot and feel like im way too slow for other riders as well, so if youre around the suffolk area let me know, im down for a nice slow ride

ducatiman
September 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM
a day late. i did Montauk Saturday (passed the Duck 2x)

150 mile round trip from Centereach. Great ride and destination. The windmill is in Easthampton, btw. Took my VFR.

ducatiman
September 30th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Its amazing, how i stop a thread dead in its tracks. ??

I perceive a major lack of enthusiasm in this section of this forum. ??

Does anyone here actually ride? I mean, further than around your block ??

Likely my last post. C y'all on the road (??) or not.

winnie5354
September 30th, 2009, 06:39 AM
i'm down for a group trip to go see the duck! if anyone is headin out there!

I dropped the MSF bike as well.. wasnt fun
then i dropped my brand new ninja.. not fun either...
its not the end of the world

im still learning alot and feel like im way too slow for other riders as well, so if youre around the suffolk area let me know, im down for a nice slow ride

Wow, sound like I find a buddy! I dropped my new ninja in the very first day (right after I got it from the dealer) during stop for at least 4-5 times, I bet you can't beat me :p

Well, the crappy bike in MSF landed on my shin after i dropped. I thought that it crushed my bone! (well, big bruise, i still could ride so I think no fracture?) But with ninja, it never landed on me. I think it's part of the design of sportbike.

I was watching movies from last Friday night to Sunday night. I was going to get my bike out on Sunday, but it was raining for the whole morning.

What time do you go out to ride usually in weekend, DarkNinja52?

Ducatiman, do you bring an SLR with you on bike all the time? Your pictures look great!!!!!!! I do have the enthusiasm. Like Katie, I live in NYC, and leave my bike in Long Island. I can't imagine biking in NYC without skill...

It's not new news, check it out when you have time:

Can't believe that even a bicycle could kill motorcyclist...

Picture shows where the bike ended up.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/cousin_of_rapper_common_killed_in_HHkIXImulRi0DW6LZoE16L

News12
2 killed in motorcycle, bicycle collision

(09/19/09) CLINTON HILL - Two men died in a fatal motorcycle and bicycle collision at a Clinton Hill intersection Friday night, police say.

The accident occurred at Washington and Greene avenues at around 11:00 p.m. Police say a man riding a Kawasaki motorcycle was heading eastbound on Greene Avenue before he hit a man on a bicycle. Witnesses say the bicyclist was heading westbound on the eastbound side of the street.

Witnesses claim the 38-year-old motorcyclist’s body was wedged under a car after the crash.

Both men were immediately transferred to Brooklyn Hospital where they were pronounced dead on arrival.

1010wins

Posted: Sunday, 20 September 2009 2:18PM
Rapper Common's Cousin Killed in Motorcycle Accident
NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Ajile Turner, a 38-year-old cousin of rapper Common died after his Kawasaki motorcycle was involved in an accident with a bicycle in the Fort Greene section of Brooklyn on Friday night.

Turner's motorcycle was struck by the bike as the cyclist turned onto Washington Avenue from Greene Avenue.

The bicyclist, Julian Miller, 45, died as well.

FG/CH News
September 20, 2009, 1:22 am
Cyclist, Motorcylist Die in Collision on Greene

A motorcycle rider and a bicyclist traveling in the wrong lane were both killed when they slammed into each other on Greene Avenue at Washington Avenue Friday night, the police said. The cyclist, Julian Miller, 45, of Washington Avenue, was headed west on Greene at 10:45 p.m. when he crossed into the eastbound lane and collided with the motorcyclist, Ajile Turner, 38, of Cumberland Street, who TMZ said was a cousin of the rapper Common. Both men were dead on arrival at Brooklyn Hospital.

Sunday, Sep. 20 2009 @ 1:50AM
Police are reporting that an collision between a motorcycle and a bike killed two men Friday night at the intersection of Greene Avenue and Washington Avenue in Brooklyn. Ajile Turner, 38, was traveling east on Greene Avenue, when his a 2007 Kawasaki collided with Julian C. Miller, 45, who was bicycling west on Greene Avenue. Both operators were transported to Brooklyn Hospital where they were both pronounced DOA. TMZ is reporting that Turner was the cousin of rapper Common and the head of a local concert production company.

Alex
September 30th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I perceive a major lack of enthusiasm in this section of this forum. ??

Does anyone here actually ride? I mean, further than around your block ??

More carrot, less stick. ;)

DarkNinja52
September 30th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Wow, sound like I find a buddy! I dropped my new ninja in the very first day (right after I got it from the dealer) during stop for at least 4-5 times, I bet you can't beat me :p

Well, the crappy bike in MSF landed on my shin after i dropped. I thought that it crushed my bone! (well, big bruise, i still could ride so I think no fracture?) But with ninja, it never landed on me. I think it's part of the design of sportbike.

I was watching movies from last Friday night to Sunday night. I was going to get my bike out on Sunday, but it was raining for the whole morning.

What time do you go out to ride usually in weekend, DarkNinja52?

I dropped my bike probably the third time I was on it, but it was a week after I got her becuase it rained all week, then i went out right after the rain one day.. bad idea..

but as for this weekend im free all day friday because i have no classes, saturday im busy with homecoming and ****
sunday is good all day
im not really a morning person but i can get up for like a 10am ride if that time is better for you.

P1NDLESK1N
September 30th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I find myself commuting on my bike way too much. :o

I need to find time to ride with you guys some point before there's snow on the ground.

DarkNinja52
September 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I find myself commuting on my bike way too much. :o

I need to find time to ride with you guys some point before there's snow on the ground.

same, just commuting and ****, gota find more time for riding for fun

cifex
October 15th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I've been riding constantly..... just not necessarily the motorcycle.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2a63sro.jpg

Anyone want to get a ride going the weekend before Halloween?

DarkNinja52
October 15th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'd like to, (motorcycle right?)
This week and next week I have midterms. This weekend I'm going to be in boston with my mom. Been very overwhelmed lately, two jobs in addition to being a full time student. Still took the bike for a short ride on sunday, it was cold but much more fun than anything i could have done in the warmth of my house. We gotta figure something out before it gets too cold/snows.

cifex
October 15th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Yes, motorcycle. Its going to rain this weekend. Hopefully weekend of the 24thish is nice.

Grn99Kawi
October 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
My buddy and I want to get at least one more decent ride in.. last weekend was family stuff.. this weekend we had hoped to do something but it looks like a washout... sucks!

Grn99Kawi
October 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
OK.. so I'm going into withdrawal here.. the weather went into the 40s.. rain and 2 noreasters... what crap!

Anyway.. tomorrow it is supposed to warm back up in the 60s.. but of course it will be mid 40s when I leave for work.. what to do what to do....

Do you think we still have some riding days ahead of us or are we doomed to count the days until the flowers bloom? I dont have heated grips and my gloves are mesh.. hands freeze on trips.. lol

Grn99Kawi
October 20th, 2009, 03:26 PM
What a great day! Too bad it was mid 40s this week.. I came home and started her up.. let her run a bit and get some gas back in teh carbs...

I'm riding tomorrow for sure..

dimeified
October 20th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Dude i'm still sticking it out this season, probably because it is my first and I'm having so much fun. This morning was extremely chilly, i dressed best i could and was ok, however i need shop for thermal long johns, and winter over pants, because my legs get a little cold wearing just jeans. The ride home was wonderful though.

P1NDLESK1N
October 28th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Still riding, but its definitely starting to get cold out there.

I too need to look for some new gloves. Not fun or safe to ride with numb fingers.

cifex
November 9th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Great ride yesterday. Took it out for a couple hours as sun was going down. You all still riding?

Kawasabi
November 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM
nice yesterday and today too...... but no time to ride, f--in sucks.

Grn99Kawi
November 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Hey Zach. Hope all is well. We rode yesterday out to St jameson 25A.. rode today to work.. froze my ass off this morning.. but it was worth it for the ride home.

cifex
November 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Rode up to our satellite office in white plains yesterday. I was pretty chilly (left at 6am), but it was a great ride. Got an EZ-Pass for the bike as well. Nice not having to screw around at the toll.

LuxMundi
November 20th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I would prefer calling this the AUTUMN thread. Just sayin'.......:D

Grn99Kawi
November 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
I would prefer calling this the AUTUMN thread. Just sayin'.......:D

HAHAHA!!!

Side note: probably going out tomorrow.. just waxed her up and polished the pipes.

eddiekay
December 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Any nassau crew up for a friday night run to...wherever....Jones, the city ? Extra face mask may be in my garage if needed.

cifex
December 10th, 2009, 09:18 PM
It's going to be 25 degrees tomo night with a severe wind advisory......
Posted via Mobile Device

eddiekay
December 11th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Up to you Zach. About the only thing you need is really good gloves. I'll meetup and bring you a mask ( if you wanna get one..HD has excellent felt masks)
Are you the guy from Syosset ? Figure down 135, across SSP to Wantagh, back up Wantagh to NSP and home.
I'm breakin my baby in so I won't be running more than 5-5.5k...nice leisurely ride I promise. I'm going out maybe 9:00 and hey, if by the time you reach the corner your fingertips fall off, turn around and go back. I promise you this....riding in cold weather with the right suit...it makes you feel aliiiiive.

cifex
December 11th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I'm going to pass. I saw quite a few patches of ice on the way to work this morning. Ride safe! :thumbup:

EDIT: I'm in Copiague.

eddiekay
December 11th, 2009, 07:10 AM
You saw ice....hmmmm..no....won't do that, def not. I'm no south shore and if I see any ice today I won't be going on the parkways. OK, thanx for heads up

cifex
December 11th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Yea...there was a long slick taking up half the right line on Montauk Hgwy and then I drove over two on 135.

eddiekay
December 11th, 2009, 07:22 AM
OK....maybe i'll just download Easy Rider or something tonight. Been on a bike since '67 and never once slid on ice but....reallly...I don't need it.

P1NDLESK1N
December 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM
It went from bearable to holyshitits****incoldouthere rather quickly this week.

I sure hope we still get a few nice days here and there. The cold rips through my gloves after 5-10min of riding. :(

Might have to get some heated ones this year...

eddiekay
December 11th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I was out for maybe 1/2 hour aronud 6:00...28 degrees , on FZ6 behind a shield, very nice but i went slow. We'll see tomorrow. Hey, on the heated gloves...I bought Widder's 2 years ago...arrived with a broken thrmostate...replaced...gloves work sometimes a little, some times not at all,. not once was i satisfied. I know they have a good rep...for their vests but my experience was not good at all.

Grn99Kawi
December 12th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Man it sure dixd get coldasheck really quick! I sold my Ninja about 2 weeks ago.. was riding up until I sold it.. now on the hunt for my next ride... once I get one and if it is decent out I will be up for a ride.. jonesin big time.

eddiekay
December 12th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I had to drive 322 miles each way but i got a .09 from a showroom, new.....0 miles... in Big Run PA....Best Cycles. I took it in my Tacoma....left Malverne at 4:00am.....at the dealer 10:00 and they were waiting, they helped me load it, I boought my ownh straps and they tied it in very carefully, got back to LI at 4:00 pm driving slower on the way back.
It cost me about $90 in fuel, about $17 in tolls and I paid $3599 for the bike.
FYI....for $15 a day, UHaul has a 4x8 trailers that is perfect BUT I couldn't take it because of their taillight harness.Might be worth a look

DarkNinja52
December 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
i think this week might mark the end of my riding season this year... too many patches of ice.. too damn cold and not enough proper cold gear

definitely been riding as often as possible and loving it..

adam, i was upset to hear you sold the bike until i read that you were lookin for a new one

im lookin forward towards my winter break from school so i can do some work on the bike, gona start small with flush mounts and windscreen, and i'll see where i end up

got 4 finals this week so i gota get back to studying, sorry i didnt get a chance to meet up in the past few months, schools been a bitch. its nice to see we still have LI threads going though

DarkNinja52
December 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
and welcome eddie, congrats on the new bike

P1NDLESK1N
December 15th, 2009, 12:40 PM
54* out today :)

But tonight is back to those 30*s we know and love.

Grn99Kawi
December 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hey P1.. when did you move from the 250 to a ZX6r? I dont remember a thread.. we need pics!

I'm inches away from getting a CBR next...

P1NDLESK1N
December 15th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Haven't even took any pics of it yet, and I've had it since like October... :o

Maybe I'll break out the phone and do a photo shoot at work today. :p

EDIT: extremely high res pic :heh:

DarkNinja52
December 17th, 2009, 12:36 AM
lmao oh man.. i was expecting a high res pic too lmao..
and you got that helmet that there was a post about a while back haha...

im mad jealous about the zx6... never thought i would want anything but a 250 but ive seen some nice zx6s and in a year or so when i have the money.. definitely gona have to get me one.. my brother will probably buy the 250 off me. congrats man, very nice.

P1NDLESK1N
December 21st, 2009, 03:17 PM
28 inches of snow.

Who wants to go for a ride? :rolleyes:

Grn99Kawi
December 31st, 2009, 10:11 AM
I rode yesterday.. picked up my new ride, a 2000 CBR600F4,
and I rode it home about 15 miles on secondary roads.. my hands were freezing.. my gloves flow too much air for 30^... of course it snows the very next day!

4cyls are so smooth.. didnt feel much heavier than my 250, although it is only about 70# heavier.. I didn't take it much higher than 6,000 rpmish on the way home, but you can feel it has a lot more to it than the 250.. although short shifting it like that it felt like I was riding the 250 again.. just only giving a little throttle.

DarkNinja52
December 31st, 2009, 04:02 PM
nice, congrats,

too bad about the snow today... ): ive never wanted a winter to end so badly haha.. im about to spend all my money on mods this winter though.. didnt realize that the withdrawal symptoms were gona cost me money haha

Grn99Kawi
December 31st, 2009, 04:04 PM
What mods do you have planned?

DarkNinja52
January 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
dark smoke zero g windscreen (in the mail), flush mounts (already have), integrated tail light(havent ordered yet) , fender elim (trying to find a cheap one)

HIDs would be nice if they werent so expensive

i would also like to do some mechanical alterations such as shimming the needles and dekleening and desnorkeling, but i dont really have a lot of mechanical experience so those are gona be a bit more of a project for me

any other cool suggestions? i want to do a black/red theme, i was gona get red rim tape but i dont think itll really look that good

i also have to buy a rear stand still

Grn99Kawi
January 1st, 2010, 05:38 PM
I'm a big fan of rim stripes.. loved them on my Ninja and I will be getting them for the CBR as well.

The red looks great against the black wheels. JMO
The integrated light is nice too... why not just chop a stock rear fender? Remember that with the integrated taillight, you wont need rear signals, so there might be mounting holes on the side that arent used... how about just using metal stock to mount the lic plate and the light?

Alex
January 1st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hi Adam -

red X's here on those pics; you can't link directly to attachments on other vbulletin sites. They will appear to work for you as you're logged in to both sites, but anyone who's not just sees the dreaded red X...

- Alex

Grn99Kawi
January 1st, 2010, 05:49 PM
DOH! sorry.. editing it now.

DarkNinja52
January 2nd, 2010, 03:24 AM
lmao since when does editing leave this message "This post was last futzed with by DarkNinja52;" lmao

ive been on and off with the rim tape... i feel like itll be too "flashy" instead of just bad ass haha, but i did get red instead of any other color because it was "flashy"

what do you mean by " how about just using metal stock to mount the lic plate and the light?"?

idk if i want to do a custom fender chop, some fender elim kits and just replacements for the one on there, as in you can take that one off and put on the new one?

DarkNinja52
February 28th, 2010, 02:42 PM
too... much... snow... soo... cold.. cant... wait.. any... longer.. *passes out due to excitement and anticipation*

Grn99Kawi
February 28th, 2010, 03:11 PM
ROFL!!! Ain't that the truth Zach.. I have registered my bike yet.. maybe this week.. just sick of seeing snow.. and we might get hit again Wednesday

DarkNinja52
February 28th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Not Zach but close enough. I heard more snow as well... not looking forward to this at all. Really can't wait for the first ride of the season, I can already tell I'm going to be a little rusty with the controls. But seriously, we gota get some good LI group rides going. I'm not taking as many classes this semester or working nearly as many hours, nor am I partying nearly as much. So my time has been reduced down to waiting for the snow to melt so I can do the only thing I really want to do. I put some flush mounts on my bike, new windscreen, waiting on an integrated taillight, got a new helmet visor and im looking to get a cheap leather jacket because they look so bad ass. Gettin sick of my textile padded jacket. I got my bike on stands right next to the back door so as soon as i walk in everyday I see her sittin there waitin for me with those big shiny headlight eyes lol breaks my heart to walk away.

Grn99Kawi
February 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
OOPs.. sorry bro.. Zach is cifex.. rode with him once last summer.. never got a chance to ride with you after you moved from PA
check newenough for great deals on jackets and stuff.

caliente103
March 9th, 2010, 02:44 PM
lets ride
Posted via Mobile Device

DarkNinja52
March 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
cleanin the bike and puttin the fairings back on.. cant wait.. how many LI/queens members on the forum now? can we get a roll call?

DarkNinja52 aka aj
'09 Ninja 250
Reporting in from Nesconset, Suffolk County (also Massapequa, Nassau County)

Who else we got? any new recruits?

eddiekay
March 9th, 2010, 03:22 PM
adam....you're the guy in E rock-lynbrook right ?
If you wanna go tonite I can take the small bike but i'm breakin' her in so I can barely make 60 or I can take the FZ and ride normally. It's 5:21 now....rsvp if you wanna go out to captree or something

eddiekay
March 9th, 2010, 03:26 PM
oooops...sorry...t'was caliente who posted.....
cali....you're out in mastic right ? I'm like 60 miles west of you but if you want to meet up in captree that's maybe 1/2 way between. Come on back if you wanna go
If we meet up we prob won't ride much...gotta work tomorrow so I'll take the jette

Grn99Kawi
March 9th, 2010, 03:35 PM
yeah thats me in Lynbrook... I rode to work today... matter of fact just took her out for a quick 5 minute ride before I put it away... no go for tonight.. wife and kids coming home soon... what a great day for riding though...weekend doesnt look promising at all.. so I wanted to get some miles in today.

Adam

P1NDLESK1N
March 9th, 2010, 11:56 PM
<--- Still lurking around. :thumbup:

cifex
March 11th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I'm still lurking as well. :cool:

Grn99Kawi
March 11th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Hey Zach, how have ya been?

Hope to meet up this year again..

cifex
March 11th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Pretty good. Started on MTB this week! Ready to get on the horse next week! :)

Grn99Kawi
March 17th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Rode to work today.. will be on two wheels for the rest of the week.. probably won't be riding this weekend though.. my ridin buddy is going to be out of town.. dammit.. going to be nice.. but then again I have some light work to do on the bike anyway..

Anyone else enjoying the sun and 60s?

Adam

CC Cowboy
March 18th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Adam, a guy from here is moving to Long Island. If you need a new riding buddy. He doesn't know anyting about the area. I believe he will be in Freeport and then move to Merrick or Masapequa.

I told him the North Shore is where it's at but no one every listen to me.

Grn99Kawi
March 18th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Awesome.. I'm not too far from there... this is a forum member?

CC Cowboy
March 18th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Different forum

http://daytonasportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25994

His name is Rod. He is a cool guy, somewhat of a prankster, and a electronics wiz.

P1NDLESK1N
March 18th, 2010, 09:09 PM
:whoo:

eddiekay
March 18th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Ran out to Sayville yesterday...still breakin' her in but, man, this bike is sweet at 60.
Was chilly though...windshield off...waiting for +12 shiled from Gustaffson any day now. If you want to take a hop on Saturday or Sunday afternoon lemme know
Eddie( malverne)

cifex
March 20th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I rode to work a few days this week. Though, I confess to favoring my other bike...... was out MTB today :)

Grn99Kawi
March 22nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
Hey eddie, are you going to be riding this coming weekend? Not sure which day for me.. but I definately want to get out there..

dimeified
March 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
i was on the bike from wednesday to sunday to work and back, loved it. was think of riding out to l.i. to see gf this weekend but will prolly take the car, think it's going to rain.

eddiekay
March 24th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Ad...most probably. Had a nice hop Sunday pm....went with some CMA guys to n shore in suffolk...old field, nissequoge, centerport. Slow speed twisties that I never knew we had out here...without a question the most pleasant aftrenoon ride i had in years. Hills, horses...it was very relaxing Funny thing, these are all $1mm+ houses up there...no exaggeration, at least 1/3 of them were for sale,,,no exaggeration...looked like Hempstead...for sales signs all over.

Grn99Kawi
March 24th, 2010, 05:06 PM
that's awesome... hopefully this weekend is decent.. I'm ridin to work tomorrow for sure....

Grn99Kawi
March 28th, 2010, 03:16 PM
was out this morning.. froze my a$$ off!

eddiekay
March 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, it was chilly. 6:33 now, feel warmer...think I'll take a spin to levittown...ad.....you gotta get a sno-mo suit...they're totally warm

eddiekay
March 28th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Hey, are you off this week or just tuesday

Grn99Kawi
March 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM
all week.. riding out east Friday for sure (but not sure how far)

eddiekay
March 28th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I have to go out to Mastic later this week...maybe we could coordinate....or meet up at wm Floyd Pwky or something

P1NDLESK1N
March 28th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I'll be around, usually working late though. :(

Grn99Kawi
April 4th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Rode out to Port Jeff on Friday.. great ride... this week I'll be riding to work as long as its not rainin....

What about the rest of you?

cifex
April 4th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Did a Robert Moses run today. Riding to work tomorrow.

eddiekay
April 9th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Bad omens ? So...cruisin down Ocean Pkwy and maybe 10 hogs roar by, side by side, same lane...pass the trooper up ahead...no prob (nice looking formation). 4 sports pass me well within the speed limit...not sharing the lanes...pass the trooper and lights flashing he pulls 1 over...find out later that he wrote the guy for changing lane no signal.
I was behind them all, saw the whole event...the guy on the CBR did not change lanes. Not the first time I saw the troopers go after a sport, haqppened to me on SSP ( same charge) and it won't be the last. Have a safe summer.

cifex
April 9th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Lame! :cbrsmiley:

Grn99Kawi
April 10th, 2010, 06:55 AM
That is lame! "Vehicular profiling" isnt it? It happens with cars too.. nobody notices the minivan or Civic doing 56 in a 35, but the Mustang (or other muscle car) going 25 in a 30 with a throaty exhaust is immediately told to slow down.... don't ask me how I know.. lmao

I have told people that if I went any slower I'd be going backwards.... sucks if some authorities are targeting sport bikes...

I rode to work pretty much all week.. tomorrow I think Im going to head out to Captree..

Adam

eddiekay
April 24th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Nice ride up to 301, back to Bear Mtn and LI today. Anybody interested in trying to group up next Sat a.m. ? Some passable hard pack dirt roads in Fahenstock park...rev war iron mines...stuff that's not on maps but nice. Kind of "adventure touring" stuff once we get there. Slab up...twisties back.

cifex
June 7th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Eddie, I'd definitely like to sync up and hit Fahenstock Park one time. I like taking the ninja where it doesn't belong.

dimeified
June 7th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I was just near bear mountain the other day. Rode up to Florida NY, got lost, and rode out to 84 near Bear Mountain to get back to Pompton Lakes.

edit: Fahenstock Park is MILES away

eddiekay
June 7th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Zach....well...if saturday is nice I'd be up for it....funny you wrote...I was google-earthing the route the other day and i just happened to go online now///11:00. Yeah...guaranteed you'll enjoy it...leave early enough and we can do bear Mtn park and then catch the knee draggers at the circle.....whole trip is pretty short, under 200 miles.Out by 9-10....back by 6.....I'll forward th route to you after I write it up
eddie