View Full Version : Stones

Broom
February 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
it sure feels good to wear out the side of a tire instead of the middle :D

gotta love these bridgestones. had a real nice feel to them
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3303284625_21e7a0b6cd.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbroom/3303284625/sizes/l/)

BlueTyke
February 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
I think someone has been out having fun... :D

Kurosaki
February 23rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Yes. The 090 is quite alright.

I'm almost ready for a new front though. blah...

RaceBikeRentals
February 23rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Really good tires. I put them on my Priller 250 last weekend at Willow and was only 1 sec off my fast times with slicks!

Kurosaki
February 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Richard, where are you getting your's from?

RaceBikeRentals
February 24th, 2009, 12:56 PM
The local Bridgestone guys, Cyclemall.net are at the track each race weekend and mount them up for free :)

Broom
February 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
when we were getting tires for the bike back in october or november, you could only get the set i got at the track vendors. they're not available to retail stores for some reason. not sure if thats changed or not.

We ended up with a 120/70 BT003 soft front & a 140/70 BT090 rear. our bridgestone guy says the front should last a long time, but we wore out the rear in one weekend.

Bourgeois
February 24th, 2009, 09:21 PM
when we were getting tires for the bike back in october or november, you could only get the set i got at the track vendors. they're not available to retail stores for some reason. not sure if thats changed or not.

We ended up with a 120/70 BT003 soft front & a 140/70 BT090 rear. our bridgestone guy says the front should last a long time, but we wore out the rear in one weekend.
Were you doing donuts with them? Jesus, I've got 5 races on my 090's. Over 250 race miles. And they still have some life left.

RaceBikeRentals
February 24th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I usually get 3 weekends out of the 090s, or about 450 miles. I get around 900 miles out of the 016s. Run em till they're bald. Hey Brian - BITCH! I read about the PASS in the new RRW article! Payback is HELL, my friend! Kidding here (sort of). :)

Kurosaki
February 24th, 2009, 11:13 PM
My front 090 is wearing faster than the rear.

Not sure if that's common compared to the rest of you.

thoughts?

After next weekend, I think I'll be about ready for a new front at least.

I will have 2 trackdays on them and alot of hard miles in the canyons.

I was hoping they would last me to at least my next scheduled trackday in April but I'm not so sure.

Kurosaki
February 24th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Richard, would you say it really is safe/good idea to run them til their bald? On the track at least.

My front is nearing the wear bar. I don't want to buy a new tire before my buttonwillow day on the 8th.

RaceBikeRentals
February 25th, 2009, 07:26 AM
My front 090 is wearing faster than the rear.

Not sure if that's common compared to the rest of you.

thoughts?

After next weekend, I think I'll be about ready for a new front at least.

I will have 2 trackdays on them and alot of hard miles in the canyons.

I was hoping they would last me to at least my next scheduled trackday in April but I'm not so sure.

The rears will wear faster with track use, but I suppose lots of street use (with braking) will wear out the front, too. Odd, but I guess it could happen.

RaceBikeRentals
February 25th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Richard, would you say it really is safe/good idea to run them til their bald? On the track at least.

My front is nearing the wear bar. I don't want to buy a new tire before my buttonwillow day on the 8th.

Front tire is a lot cheaper than bodywork :D And, they might not pass you in tech if the wear bars are close. I say put a new 003 on there and see how it works. You could order from Cyclemall.net and have it installed by someone local.

Broom
February 25th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Were you doing donuts with them? Jesus, I've got 5 races on my 090's. Over 250 race miles. And they still have some life left.

no donuts. my brother ran a couple hours of track day on them (not as fast as me, but weighs more), then i ran them 7 or 8 hours total this weekend on a very abrasive track... about 3.5 hours of that in the rain.... the rear is just reaching the wear bar on the left side.

so we got about 9 or 10 hours total on the set, which would come out to about 550 miles or so.

Kurosaki
February 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Front tire is a lot cheaper than bodywork :D And, they might not pass you in tech if the wear bars are close. I say put a new 003 on there and see how it works. You could order from Cyclemall.net and have it installed by someone local.

How is the 003 compared to the 090? I see it's a 120.

Any significant differences between the two?

I might just go with a new 090 based on price and already being familiar with the tire.

RaceBikeRentals
February 25th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Much newer tech tire. Used by racers on middleweight and open bikes. Since its a 120 its going to slow down your turning a bit, but should last quite awhile for mixed street/track riding. But I'd say if you're comfortable with the 090, then def stick with it!

Bourgeois
February 25th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I usually get 3 weekends out of the 090s, or about 450 miles. I get around 900 miles out of the 016s. Run em till they're bald. Hey Brian - BITCH! I read about the PASS in the new RRW article! Payback is HELL, my friend! Kidding here (sort of). :)
Hey man, that pass was clean. Maybe the Willow pass wasn't so clean but the Vegas one was a good one.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to make it to the March round at Willow. So we can pass-rematch in April.

And where's the Feb video on your site?

RaceBikeRentals
February 25th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Didn't have a chance to shoot video, unfortunately. Jumping from bike to bike I didn't have time to turn it on. What's so damn important you can't go racing?

Bourgeois
February 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Didn't have a chance to shoot video, unfortunately. Jumping from bike to bike I didn't have time to turn it on. What's so damn important you can't go racing?
Trust me. I would go racing on my Mother's birthday, or any other holiday. I'd be there rain or shine. I'll drive however many hours it takes. At this point, it is my number 1 priority.

Except for that contractual obligation I have with the Marine Corps. And believe me, even after 5 1/2 years in and only a little bit more to go until I'm out. I've actually considered taking the dishonorable discharge just to go race. But it's just not worth it in the long run.

Broom
February 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM
psshh... what are they gunna do? arrest you? ;)

Bourgeois
February 25th, 2009, 07:04 PM
psshh... what are they gunna do? arrest you? ;)
No, actually I could walk away without any fuss. As long as I dropped off my issued gear.

But I would have a dishonorable discharge on my record. Which wouldn't be a very big deal if I was guaranteed to stay working at Roadracing World for the rest of my life.

And I honestly wouldn't have any problem with that. But if I was to somehow no longer have that job for whatever reason then I would probably try to go for a government job such as law enforcement or fire, etc.

Then they would start tearing up the paperwork as soon as they saw the dishonorable.

RaceBikeRentals
February 26th, 2009, 01:10 PM
So let me get this straight:

1. Country
2. Racing
3. Family

We'll make a racer of you yet, Brian ;)

Hey, you can always be the RaceBikeRentals.com Pit Bitch!

Bourgeois
February 26th, 2009, 04:24 PM
So let me get this straight:

1. Country
2. Racing
3. Family

We'll make a racer of you yet, Brian ;)

Hey, you can always be the RaceBikeRentals.com Pit Bitch!

You're already creating a monster. One that will run you off the track in turn 3.

And I'm already RW's bitch.

Broom
February 26th, 2009, 06:10 PM
wish i was closer to the west coast so i could mix it up with you guys. we had a good turn out of 250s in the 5 hour endurance, but only two total (counting me) in the sprints :(

Sailariel
February 26th, 2009, 06:43 PM
No, actually I could walk away without any fuss. As long as I dropped off my issued gear.

But I would have a dishonorable discharge on my record. Which wouldn't be a very big deal if I was guaranteed to stay working at Roadracing World for the rest of my life.

And I honestly wouldn't have any problem with that. But if I was to somehow no longer have that job for whatever reason then I would probably try to go for a government job such as law enforcement or fire, etc.

Then they would start tearing up the paperwork as soon as they saw the dishonorable.

Brian, You definitely want an Honorable--if not for VA Medical services. Really pays off when you get older--also allows for cheaper medical insurance rates.

Sailariel
February 26th, 2009, 06:49 PM
it sure feels good to wear out the side of a tire instead of the middle :D

gotta love these bridgestones. had a real nice feel to them
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3303284625_21e7a0b6cd.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbroom/3303284625/sizes/l/)

Jon, I know this is a stupid question. I don`t have a clue as to where the "Wear Bars" are on a tyre. My Dunlops still have these green stripes on them. Are those wear bars? This is the first bike I have had with tubeless tyres.

Broom
February 26th, 2009, 06:52 PM
i didn't know what they were until this weekend, so no worries. if you rollover the note on the picture in this link, it points it out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbroom/3303284625/

Bourgeois
February 26th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Brian, You definitely want an Honorable--if not for VA Medical services. Really pays off when you get older--also allows for cheaper medical insurance rates.

I wouldn't actually do it. I've just never had something make me want to get out as bad as racing. I just think it's funny that I've considered it because the option to get the time off is a big pain in the ass and has to be done way ahead of time.

We're supposed to deploy again soon and one of the guys I work with thinks it's funny that I don't want to deploy, not because I'd be getting shot at or could get killed, but because I want to race.

tweakmon
February 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Thats too bad you wont be out in March bro. I will be there for sure seeing as I havent been on the track since Jan.

Now, I just need to sell the 6R, so if any of you know someone in the market for a good and modifyed 2005 636 then send em my way.

Sailariel
February 27th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't actually do it. I've just never had something make me want to get out as bad as racing. I just think it's funny that I've considered it because the option to get the time off is a big pain in the ass and has to be done way ahead of time.

We're supposed to deploy again soon and one of the guys I work with thinks it's funny that I don't want to deploy, not because I'd be getting shot at or could get killed, but because I want to race.

Brian, Those multiple deployments really suck. I was a medic with the 173Rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam. I was deployed once and went back for a second tour because of all the hostility we faced coming home. I think that these multiple deployments are going to come back and bite us in the a$$. Our local National Guard unit will be going on its fifth deployment. Two years ago we had 1200 men deployed just from Midcoast Maine. There are not a hell of a lot of people up here so everybody was affected. Keep your head down and your powder dry. Be safe, brother. Semper Fi.