View Full Version : Disc Lock

athimmel
February 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
OK. This may be a really stupid question, but you guys are pretty darn smart here :humble:, so here goes:

I know that if anyone really wants to steal a bike, they'll find a way, but my wife wants me to get a lock for my Ninjette. Does anyone have experience with locks? Are they worth buying and if so, what kind is best? :confused:

Thanks again for your help.

BlackKarma
February 23rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
I've got a disk lock...but if they are pros,most of the time it's a van.One driver and two big guys.They pull up and the two guys will lift and chuck the bike into the back or side of the van.
It takes less than 30seconds...!:eek:

Viper-Byte
February 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
I have got a Xena Security alarmed disk lock. But in reallity, if someone wants to steal the bike, the noise will not stop them :2cents:

djpharoah
February 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
With the ninjette being probably the lightest out there its very easy for two guys to just lift it into a minivan and they are gone with your ninja and the disc lock.

I'd say get it but don't feel like its 100% protected. Maybe one of those remote alarm systems might be better?

Viper-Byte
February 23rd, 2009, 07:52 PM
You can also get GPS trackers that will allow you to see where your bike is, travel path and all that sort of thing with a PC and an internet connection, though I am not sure of the charges in USA.

jpnfrk
February 23rd, 2009, 10:56 PM
Maybe get something like Lo-Jack? :noidea:

http://www.lojack.com/sport-bike-anti-theft.html

miks
February 24th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Hire a big bloke with a gun, that would scare of them thieves!

00v_Lucky
February 24th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I do not really have any locks, but I think a cover would help greatly (It makes me feel more secure) because when people pass by it, your bike won't really stand out and be tempting for them.

athimmel
February 24th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Anyone know how much LoJack costs (initial and annual)? :noidea:

Cali619
February 24th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Good insurance is the best thing but something as simple as locking the bike up with a sturdy cable lock can deter a thief. Also keeping the bike visible would help so witnesses can be provided.

athimmel
February 24th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Just found out that my insurance company doesn't give any kind of discount for having LoJack. (Cheap bunch of %$@#%$%#$ !!) :censored::mad2:

ninjabrewer
February 24th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I have got a Xena Security alarmed disk lock. But in reallity, if someone wants to steal the bike, the noise will not stop them :2cents:

The previous owner had a Gorilla alarm installed, and so far I believe that it has prevented theft once, the alarm woke my wife, I run downstairs, check, reset and go back to bed, she ask me about that truck that just drove off, and I live in base housing. Where mine is sitting and how, it isn't readily visible from the road, esp. with the light off, and one of my cars is blocking it in, so those big dudes will have to pick it up over a car, with a screeching alarm going off in their ears. My previous Commander, had someone try to steal his out his garage, they went back to try and get his leathers, he heard them and chased them down the block in his underwear. The police found the bike on the side of the road about 2 blocks away. lucky him. Also, here on Oahu, a few weeks ago, they busted a sport bike chop shop, and recovered about 30 or so bikes, with the VIN's already shaved. :thumbup: to the HPD

nb

xTKx
February 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM

True, but it's a deterrent none the less (not to mention my bike will remain in the garage once I get it). I've already got a Merlin 3000 (I think is the model number) which has a shock sensor on it that I'll be installing.

Jane Honda
February 24th, 2009, 07:00 PM
This woman catching thieves after her bike would be a pretty damn good deterrent...

Birty Dastards...:mad:

jpnfrk
February 24th, 2009, 07:30 PM
My previous Commander, had someone try to steal his out his garage, they went back to try and get his leathers, he heard them and chased them down the block in his underwear.

Was this within the base?

Because if it was there might be a surveillance camera with the video somewhere!! :photo: :rotflmao:

ninjabrewer
February 24th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Was this within the base?

Because if it was there might be a surveillance camera with the video somewhere!! :photo: :rotflmao:

I don't believe he lived on base. The 2 Army bases that are togther, Schofield Barracks and Wheeler AAF, (they are across the road from each other) have security 24/7 at the open gates, the base I live doesn't any more, the MP's sporadically check ID's but not all the time, we used to have 24/7 but you know, cutbacks. :mad:

nb

BlackKarma
February 25th, 2009, 04:37 PM
After TSHTF...Two to the chest and one to the head will do very nicely thank you.:D

athimmel
February 25th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Ummm...are we getting off the subject? :noidea:

I was just asking about locks! Not about Charles Bronson-type justice! :laser:

Anyway, I think I'm going to look into some kind of protection. When it comes down to it, I think part of the idea is to make your vehicle look less enticing than the one next to it.

conchwanab
February 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM
lojack would be your best option.My insurance agent had his bike stolen and he claims 90% of bikes stolen are never recovered.Having the bike is like owning a Jeep with a soft top,you just hope that nothing happens and have good insurance.

ninjabrewer
February 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM
lojack would be your best option.My insurance agent had his bike stolen and he claims 90% of bikes stolen are never recovered.Having the bike is like owning a Jeep with a soft top,you just hope that nothing happens and have good insurance.

As far as LoJack is concerned, if you want to get it, check to see if it is available in your area, it is not here in Hawaii. I haven't really heard anything yea or nay on LoJack, so I can't really say if it is worth it or not.

nb

athimmel
February 26th, 2009, 01:47 PM
LoJack is available here. The problem is that our police department only has one cruiser that has the detector in it. That makes things a bit problematic, but not horrible.

Does anyone know anything about the "Bully Alarm Lock with Pager (http://www.rosevillecyclecenter.com/eshopprod_cat_4107-41276-9669_product_532872_keyword_alarm.BULLY153_ALARM_LOCK_WITH_PA.htm)"?

xTKx
February 26th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I don't know man, never heard of it and I don't know anyone who has it. But if you were originally checking out Lo-Jack, you may want to check out Scorpio Alarms (http://www.scorpioalarms.com/) also. They have some pretty crazy systems that utilize RFID (proximity detection for your remote transmitter that allows hands-free activation/deactivation). Also, some of these systems have proximity deterrents in them as well (the alarm will start chirping when someone even walks close to it). I've got personal testimony to this system:

A while back ago I saw a gorgeous CBR600 pulling into the parking lot of my local grocery store. The bike caught my eye as I was walking in, so I thought I'd sneak a peek on my way out. So, after I put the groceries in my truck I started heading over to the bike and as I was within about 6 feet of the bike, the siren started to slowly pulse....LOUD! I got closer (within 3 or 4 feet) and the siren started pulsing quicker...(still loudly)! I was like dang it! Needless to say I had to admire from a distance. Though I didn't have plans on stealing the bike, the system definitely did its job.

I'm not 100% sure how much the LoJack systems cost, but I'm sure they're pretty comparible, if not, the Scorpio may even be cheaper!!

jpnfrk
February 26th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I remember back in the day my dad had one of those proximity alarms on his Firebird Trans Am and it got him into all kinds of trouble with the neighbors... I live in an apt. complex and I can imagine it... someone trying to get into the car that occupies the parking spot next to my bike or even someone walking their dog and the alarm going off like crazy while I'm off at work... not good.

I guess your "parking" situation can really affect the convenience of those proximity alarms... :noidea:

xTKx
February 27th, 2009, 08:30 AM
True, but you've got to remember that a bike will take up much less space than a car in a parking spot. Honestly, on the guys CBR that I tried to admire, he parked right in between two cars and I heard nothing. As I said before, I was within 6 or so feet when it first started to pulse slowly, so you'd have to get pretty intentionally close for the system to really give a good screech. I could see that being a potential issue with a car, but no one should be that close to your bike if they're not curious about it...

IDK, just my :2cents:

FerociousNINJA
June 5th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Good thread. I was looking at Harbor Freight Tools "Bunker Hill Security Heavy Duty Padlock & Chain (66067)" for $15. With an alarm combo should be good.

Apex
June 5th, 2010, 07:41 PM
The whole point of a disc lock is to make the thief desire an easier target. The harder you make it for the thief, the more likely they will pass on your ride and go for an easier target.

Anything helps.

Kitdog
June 5th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have got an on guard heavy duty bicycle lock, it came with a U bolt lock, and a heavy duty cable, the way I lock my bike up for the night is I back it up to the gas meters at my apartment complex, I run the cable through the MAIN gas line, and one meter line. then through the spokes and and lock the U lock to the spokes and the cables. I know if someone really wants it they can do it. But the only way to get it off is to cut the cable with a bolt cutters (supper hard) or a grinder (the gas meters are by my neighbors window... to much noise) or cut the gas line (lol that will blow them up :) and nominate them for a Darwin award) then once that's done they will have to lift it past through the parking lot cars because the U bolt is still on it.

Den
June 6th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I consider getting one of them:
http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/bullett/main/XULSeries/XUL340/page1/
Anybody seeing it would be deterred by its size alone. Also, I checked the size, it should fit under the pillion seat nicely. The problem is that not many retailers are selling it...

Sailariel
June 6th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Adam, Summarizing all the good advice on this thread: Comes down to two things--An alarm (no specific brand) and a chain/cable lock. In combination it would make it difficult to steal the bike. The chain/cable would have to be wrapped around an immivable object, like a tree or light pole. Also keep in mind that if someone wants your particular bike, they would probably get it. A lot of these thieves are pros. One contributer mentioned using a cover---now that's a good idea!--especially if used in conjunction with the lock and cable. The bottom line is to excercise good judgment--park where the bike can be seen in a well lighted area. I NEVER park in a parking lot. The bike disappears among the cars allowing the "Two burly men with van" scenario to be played out. I park literally next to the store. Here we have a lot of bicycle racks. I usually pull in next to the bike rack. If I plan to be away a few hours, I cable to the bike rack. It could generate a ticket---so far it hasn't. Hope that helps.