View Full Version : Dropped Bolt in Gas Tank? Major or Minor Issue?

JBinSD
June 28th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I think I just dropped a bolt to the gas cap INTO the gas tank. I can't see it with a flashlight, and I don't have one of those magnet-thingies. . . .Should I be concerned, or just like when you eat dirt or your girlfriend's keys, do you just wait to sh*t it out again?

CC Cowboy
June 28th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Depends on what the bolt goes to. If it isn't a necessity you are fine. Just get a magnet when you can and get it out. If it is important, just turn the bike upside down an shake it until the bolt pops out.

beren
June 28th, 2013, 07:48 PM
. If it is important, just turn the bike upside down an shake it until the bolt pops out.

Be sure to drain the gas firt.

fishdip
June 28th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I think I just dropped a bolt to the gas cap INTO the gas tank. I can't see it with a flashlight, and I don't have one of those magnet-thingies. . . .Should I be concerned, or just like when you eat dirt or your girlfriend's keys, do you just wait to sh*t it out again?

Try using a lighter it may help you see in the tank better :D

CC Cowboy
June 29th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Be sure to drain the gas firt.

What's that? A hot girl who hangs at gas stations?

Try using a lighter it may help you see in the tank better :D

You still have to turn the bike upside to see in the tank with a lighter.

JohnnyBravo
June 29th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Is it a big one or a little one? If its big you will be safe to wait till ya get a magnet thingy, if its small enough to get into the gas tube you won't blow it up, but you could screw yourself mid ride...

thisisbenji
June 29th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Turn the bike upside down? The gas tank on the 250s (and hopefully 300s) are INCREDIBLY easy to remove. Just pull the gas line and drain the gas into a container first and the flip the tank over. Shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes.

Dark
June 29th, 2013, 11:47 PM
IIRC, the pump has a filter on it so it won't make it into the pump.

It could short or damage the level sender. It could start to rust.

As others have said, removing the tank is easy, siphon the fuel and turn the tank over.

Trailerboy531
June 30th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Hahah people here will never understand CC Cowboy.

Joel - I'd just pull the tank off, remove the petcock and drain the gas and let the thing fall out. No use in having to worry about it.

ninja_thresh_hold
June 30th, 2013, 12:25 AM
cycle gear sells led flachlights with retractable magnets that will work to be able to see inside of the tank, and grab the bolt(assuming that it is some sort of iron/steel alloy type bolt. if not, just do like cc cowboy said and flip the (empty) gas tank upside down and shake away until it plops out.:thumbup:

Dark
July 1st, 2013, 01:12 AM
Hahah people here will never understand CC Cowboy.

Joel - I'd just pull the tank off, remove the petcock and drain the gas and let the thing fall out. No use in having to worry about it.

Unless he's referring to a bike not listed in his details then the 300 he has does not use a petcock. He would need to remove the fuel pump assembly if he's unable to fish it out through the cap.

Trailerboy531
July 1st, 2013, 11:18 AM
Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Eh. Still easy to do. GET THAT BOLT

Motofool
July 1st, 2013, 11:55 AM
I think I just dropped a bolt to the gas cap INTO the gas tank...........Should I be concerned, or just like when you eat dirt or your girlfriend's keys, do you just wait to sh*t it out again?

You should be concerned !!! ..............don't just wait to sh*t it out again !!!

http://cdn.hiphopwired.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/bolt.jpg

...........does he know how to swim?

rojoracing53
July 1st, 2013, 11:59 AM
Just dump some coca cola in there and let it sit for a couple days. That stuff can dissolve a bolt no problem.

xaple
July 1st, 2013, 12:07 PM
As long as the screw was clean shouldn't be a urgent issue, but you should get a magnet to get it out when you can.

alex.s
July 1st, 2013, 12:20 PM
if you leave it in there it will scratch away the inner coating and the tank will start rusting inside out

JBinSD
July 1st, 2013, 01:21 PM
if you leave it in there it will scratch away the inner coating and the tank will start rusting inside out

OK, that would suck, mebbe it is worth the extra 45 mins to take the tank off again. . .

JosueDG
July 1st, 2013, 01:36 PM
This thread made me ROFL :happy130: I must have a dirty mind :redface:

Dark
July 2nd, 2013, 01:34 AM
Good luck with a magnet stick, it's going to be 'sticking' to the inner tank walls every time it gets close.

JBinSD
July 15th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Thought I posted a follow-up, but I took the tank off last weekend, and the fuel pump, and rattled it out. Took about a 1/2 hr, no worries. I was just being lazy, I guess. Thanx for the input.