View Full Version : Woodcraft Rearsets

smcbride11
February 24th, 2009, 12:39 PM
This winter I'm making a few mods and repairing some damage from when my bike got hit in the parking lot, and one of the changes I'm making is replacing my stock (bent) rearset with the Woodcraft stuff.

Everything fits great with one exception, and I'm hoping some of the folks here can help me figure out if it's user error or not...

When assembling the new shifter lever, I'm putting the OEM bolt in through the shifter to connect it back to the bike... Except the OEM bolt doesn't fit into the new Woodcraft shifter lever. I can fit it in there if I grease it up real well and slam it in with a mallet, but if I do that I a) can't remove it and b) I don't think I'd be able to shift without actually unscrewing the bolt with the shifter motion.

I've been in contact with Eric at Woodcraft and he's asked that I mail the OEM bolt and the shifter lever back so he can either remill the shifter or find a piece that fits correctly, but before I do that I figured I'd run it by the board just to make sure I'm not an idiot.

Anyone else seen a similar issue?

Thanks,

Steve

Alex
February 24th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I don't have 'em on my bike, but I know that Broom has them on his track machine; why don't you send him a PM? (Or just alert him to this thread)

Ninja007
February 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM
hey smcbride11, I'm also interested in the woodcraft rearsets, do you think you could post a few pics of your rear sets on your bike? :D

Broom
February 25th, 2009, 03:57 PM
we didn't have any problems... we've used the stock controls and the woodcraft controls.

the only issue we did have is the linkage that attaches to the shift lever hitting the bottom of the rearset when trying to shift. we grinded a little off the bottom of the rearset to gain some more clearence and its now a non issue.

i'm going to take picts of it and send to eric so that he can adjust his design a little.

smcbride11
February 25th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Cool, thanks Broom.

I'll go ahead and send the pieces to Eric and see what he can do - I'm sure it's just a quick little tweak of the size of the hole on the shifter pedal, but I don't have the gear to do it myself. In the meantime, the stock shifter will have to do - and since it's gotten up to a balmy 30 degrees, I don't think I'll have a problem not riding for the next week or two.

Ninja007 - I'll definitely take some pics once it's warm enough to go back out to the garage... probably this weekend. It looks great, and though I haven't had a chance to try her out with the new rear set on, it's not a huge position change. I think it's going to work out real well.

Ninja007
March 5th, 2009, 11:41 PM
smcbride11, any pics yet?

smcbride11
March 6th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Unfortunately, only of the foot of snow that fell the other day, keeping me from my garage ;-)

It's supposed to be in the 60s this weekend, I'll get them then for sure, since I need to start getting her prepped for this season.

Ninja007
March 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM
sweet...:pop2:

smcbride11
March 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I've got some pictures attached here... They're not great, as I still haven't quite cleaned out my garage from this winter but it should give you an idea of what the rearsets look like.

From the top left, you're looking at the stock brake side, the stock shifter side, the Woodcraft brake replacement, the Woodcraft shifter replacement, then the bike with the rearset (ignore the fairing rash and the GSX-R 750), and then the stock Blue Machine.

At the moment I haven't attached the brake light sensor, because I want to take her for a spin first to see how I like the setup... I don't want to have to keep swapping parts back and forth. Clearly, it's not quite legal right now, but the front brake sensor still works fine - and how often do you use rear brake only?

I've got the stock pedals on at the moment (because of the problem that made me start this thread). Once I get everything sorted out, I'll put the Woodcraft pedals on and probably put together a DIY - even though it only takes about 15 minutes to do both sides, it's always easier to have pics along with your instructions.

Ninja007
March 8th, 2009, 08:35 PM
looks good man. let me know how you like the positioning after you take her for a spin.

smcbride11
March 8th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Will do - I'm on vacation for a week and a half, but I'm hoping the weather cooperates and I can get her out on the road when I get back.