View Full Version : Brake Light Modulator Help

noche_caliente
February 24th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Ok guys, I need some help with the brake light modulator that I got from the superlumination link. http://superlumination.com/braker_installation.html

The installation instructions from that link are:
http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/braker_module.jpg

Braker Flashing Control Module (US Patent Pending)

Function:

The Braker flashing control module contains a sequencer that will cause an led light bulbs to operate as follows:

1. Each time power is applied to the red wire, from the battery, the red wire to the led bulb will cause the led bulb to perform a sequence as follows;

A. The led will strobe brightly at a flash rate of 10 hertz (10 cycle per second) for a period of two seconds.

B. As long as power is still applied, the led light will light bright for as long as power is continually applied to the circuit (ie: as long as the brake pedal is pressed).

C. When power is cut to the red wire (ie: the brake pedal is released, the bulb will either go dim (of the lights are not on) or light in dim mode if the lights are on.

Note: In a singe circuit bulb such as an 1156 or 921, there is no dim circuit, so the braker module will sequence whenever the brake is applied, but there will be no dim function.

Installation:

Note: One module can connect to more than one led bulb, but each bulb must be connected to a module in order for that light to flash. In most instances (to avoid running extra wiring) , it is easiest to install one module at each led light (ie: one module on each side of the vehicle). If you have more than one brake light on each side of the vehicle, one module can be used on each side (2 modules for four lights).

Important: The dual circuit module has the words "FLASHING CONTROL MODULE" molded into the black case. The end closest to the word "FLASHING" must be toward the battery, and the word "MODULE" must be oriented closest to the led bulb. If the module is installed backwards, it will not work.

Connect the flashing module in the wires feeding to any led bulb as follows:

1157, 3157, or 7443 dual circuit bulbs:

Yellow Wire - Connect the to + tail light or running light wire.

Red Wire - Connect to the + brake light wire.

Black Wire - Connect to the - ground wire.

7440, 1156, 89 and 921 single circuit led bulbs:

Blue Wire - Connect to the + brake light wire toward the bulb side.

Brown Wire - Connect to the + brake light wire toward the power or battery side.

Operating Voltage: 11.5 - 13.5 volts

Maximum Current : 800ma

Note: This module is not suited for filament style bulbs. A filament style bulb is not capable of fast switching, and cannot strobe. The power draw of the filament style bulb will destroy the Braker Flashing Module.

The wiring diagram on 16-11 of the service manual is something like this, but much abbreviated....

front/rear brake light switch ------------|--------|Bulb
ignition switch (tail 2) ------------|--------|Bulb
frame ground battery (-) ------------|--------|Bulb

The good news is that the thing only cost $5.99 - I'm not sure if it's just not working, or what... Looking at the wiring diagram and verifying with a multimeter, the blue from the bike is the brake light switch and supposed to go to their red, the red from the bike is the tail light switch and goes to their yellow, and the black goes to black - we did also try swapping the red and yellow on the unit - and while the lights do come on, we can't see any sort of flashing when the brakes are on...

I have replaced the stock bulb with one of the Matrix II bulbs, and it works just fine own its own, but no flashing with the modulator. The unit does not flash with the stock bulb in either.

The fact that the lights are on at all tells me that we have the connections made securely, so why won't the darn thing flash!?!?!?!? :mad:
Randomwalk101 has the single circuit unit which seems to be working for him, but I had purchased the dual circuit model due to the fact that we have the 1157 style bulb instead of the 1156.

Anyone have any other thoughts or ideas?

See below for communications from the seller - buyer beware - I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THIS SELLER!

Army Aviator
February 25th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Looking at the wiring diagram and verifying with a multimeter, the blue from the bike is the brake light switch and supposed to go to their red, the red from the bike is the tail light switch and goes to their yellow, and the black goes to black

The above is correct, but did you verify this part of the intructions?

Important: The dual circuit module has the words "FLASHING CONTROL MODULE" molded into the black case. The end closest to the word "FLASHING" must be toward the battery, and the word "MODULE" must be oriented closest to the led bulb. If the module is installed backwards, it will not work.

If you already did try reversing it just in case they have the internals backwards.

Army Aviator
February 25th, 2009, 06:36 AM
If it ends up not working I went with the no-cut modulator, just plugs into the factory electrical fittings and can be found here.

http://www.nocutmodulators.com/

bob706
February 25th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Are you using led's or filament bulbs with this modulator? I only ask because that unit is for led. The no-cut one works great with the stock bulbs.

Army Aviator
February 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I'm actually using both, LED footpegs and the stock filament bulb in the brake light. I missed that fact you had switched to LED's.

noche_caliente
February 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I think the no-cut is my next plan as well - I do have the writing oriented properly and still nothing - it is very frustrating!
Posted via Mobile Device

HKr1
February 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM
It's broken! Take it back for another one :)

Was the running lite gonna blink too? < just wondering why that would go threw the box.

Also looking at the instructions, it will blink a LED 10 times a second....... Iam just wondering if you would even see that on an incandescent bulb???

noche_caliente
February 25th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Update - I am at this point filing a complaint with the BBB against this retailer, as they are obviously only concerned with making a profit and not concerned with the quality of their products.
Following below is the string of conversations I had with Chris Bacon, the site owner.

Hi,
I have a 2008 Ninja 250 and purchased your brake light modulator along with a Matrix II style LED bulb to help increase my visibility. I have tried installing it on my bike, but it will NOT flash.
The wiring diagram on 16-11 of the service manual is something like this, but much abbreviated....
front/rear brake light switch ------------|--------|Bulb
ignition switch (tail 2) ------------|--------|Bulb
frame ground battery (-) ------------|--------|Bulb
I'm not sure if it's just not working, or what... Looking at the wiring diagram and verifying with a multimeter, the blue from the bike is the brake light switch and supposed to go to the red, the red from the bike is the tail light switch and goes to the yellow, and the black goes to black - we did also try swapping the red and yellow on the unit - and while the lights do come on, we can't see any sort of flashing when the brakes are on... I also made sure that the unit was properly installed with the start of the writing towards the battery and the end of it towards the the bulb.
I have swapped the bulb out for one of the Matrix II bulbs, and the bulb works just fine own its own, but no flashing with the modulator. The unit does not flash with the stock bulb in either.
The fact that the lights are on at all tells me that we have the connections made securely, so why won't the darn thing flash!?!?!?!?
A friend has the single circuit unit which seems to be working for him, but I had purchased the dual circuit model due to the fact that we have the 1157 style bulb instead of the 1156.
Do you have any ideas on what might be wrong with it, or other ideas on how to fix it? I was planning to post a DIY on our forum with links to your product, but at this point that doesn't look possible since it will not function properly.
Thanks,

Hi-
If you connected it up with the glass bulb, that zapped the flashing chip.
It can only be used with an led bulb.

Hi Chris - we actually connected it with the Matrix II bulb, but when
that didn't work we tried checking with a multimeter which verified
the connections, and then attempted to see if the stock bulb would
flash as a last trouble-shooting attempt.
The instant the flashing chip is loaded from a glass bulb it will fry it.
I cannot handle the 25 watt load.
You can send it back and we can test it.

I imagine it would be fried, if it worked in the first place. I think you are missing the point - the flasher never worked in the first place - BEFORE I ever tried it with the glass bulb. IT DIDN'T WORK with the LED bulb that was installed when I originally installed the unit. It NEVER worked at all. I don't see the point in wasting any more of my money to send you back your defective product that never worked in the first place. I feel at this point rather than posting a DIY for installing your unit, I will post a Buyer Beware to warn people away from your sites.
Thanks for clarifying your lack of interest in ensuring you are selling a quality product

You likley had it hooked up wrong to begin with and them put 25watts across a 2 watt micro chip.
If you read, the warnings ARE already there:
http://autolumination.com/braker_installation.html
"*WORKS WITH ANY LED BRAKE LIGHT OR REVERSE LIGHT BULB"
"The BRAKER CONTROL MODULE WILL MAKE YOUR led brake lights"
"Note: This module is not suited for filament style bulbs. A filament style bulb is not capable of fast switching, and cannot strobe. The power draw of the filament style bulb will destroy the Braker Flashing Module."

With that response, I will be sure to post exactly the kind of customer service you are providing, along with pointing out that you are unable to read. I have stated numerous times that I connected the unit to your MATRIX II LED BULB! Remember when I said I was going to post a DIY, well guess what, that includes pictures. Here is proof that I had it attached to your LED bulb. If you had any reading comprehension skills you would have noticed in my first email where I said that after checking the wiring diagram in the official Kawasaki service manual, I connected it to the Matrix II LED bulb purchased from your site and it didn't flash. THEN I checked it with a multimeter to verify that things were connected properly and it still didn't flash. As a last resort, I tried it with the stock bulb and it didn't flash.
I cannot force you to attempt to correct the situation, but I can notify you that I will be filing a paypal dispute due to the fact that you sent a dysfunctional product, as well as a dispute with my credit card company, and a complaint with the BBB.

Thus, I am filing said complaint. I also included a photograph of the unit prepared to be installed with the LED bulb purchased from the seller.

And, because I love the internet, this is the site owner information:
EDIT: (domain owner can be found through a standard whois search on the domain)

And the information provided through paypal
Customer Service URL: http://www.autolumination.com
Customer Service Email: superlumination@cox.net
Customer Service Phone: 602-403-1688

Ship From:

www.autolumination.com
PO Box 1642
Higley, AZ 85236-1642
United States

maxedpenny
February 25th, 2009, 08:15 PM
If you paid via paypal open a dispute. You should be able to get your money back that way. I hate internet companys. Let me know if it dosnt work out and we can get the entire forum to call them constantly. LOL. I did that to my computer's warranty company till the returned the restore cds that they claimed I never sent.

maxedpenny
February 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I have the single flasher it powers the stock bulb fine.

maxedpenny
February 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Better yet we can fax them pages and pages of black. Eats through toner so fast:D

noche_caliente
February 25th, 2009, 09:23 PM
They are being total asses - here is their reply to the paypal dispute:
From Seller - www.autolumination.com

2/25/2009 19:53 PST

K****: You indicated in an earlier email that you installed a glass incandescent bulb with this unit and we explained that destroyed the circuitry. That can't be repaired and is not a defect of the unit. trouble shooting will not fix it.

maxedpenny
February 25th, 2009, 09:57 PM
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/CaseManagement/customerservice/EducationClaimResolution

You need to esclate it to a paypal claim. Then paypal will decide. Just explain your case that it didn't work before you tried to install the bulb.
Have you been able to get a hold of the company on the phone? I would be willing to call for you being in the USA. Send me a PM. My summer job this summer was mostly talking to small company's customer support. You wont believe what some of these companys do.
I will also remove links to that site in my past posts.

Sound Wave
February 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM
this won't help you with your current problem, but have you ever seen this one? it seems really straightforward. just plug and play:

BlueTyke
February 26th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Wow! Sorry this is happening! That blows! I will be weary! Thanks for the heads up.

It is funny how much internet stores forget the pressence someone might have on a forum (such as this) and how trusted their word is. It's going to hurt 'em.

bob706
February 26th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I just did a search for autolumination and they have apparently pissed off quite a few folks. Sorry to hear that you were one of them. If the thing was only $6 I would just let it go and just chalk it up to an inexpensive bad ordeal. Not that I blame you for trying to resolve the situation it's just that after reading your e-mail exchange with the guy it's obvious your dealing with a moron. Word of mouth will kill his business.

randomwalk101
February 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM
what you need is a two wire module..not a 3 wires...the "no cut" module is a 2 wires...so basically, you only cut one wire in your brake harness and put the modulator (2 wires) in between..ie, in parallel....it takes about 2 minutes to do...
anyways, go with the no cut/premade one...make things a lot easier if you're don't know what you're doing.

HKr1
February 26th, 2009, 02:21 PM
6 dollar PP complaint, PP takes 5 if ya win :)

Bust that box open now that they wont take it back, maybe it just has a 555 timer in it. Can pick a new one up at RS for $1.50 ;)

noche_caliente
March 2nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
So should have gone with the no cut in the first place. It got here today and it is installed and works perfectly! It took me longer to get the seat back on than it did to install. Two thumbs up for the no-cut!

Sound Wave
March 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
glad to hear that it is working! sorry that you had to go through that grief.

MysterioX
May 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM
what you need is a two wire module..not a 3 wires...the "no cut" module is a 2 wires...so basically, you only cut one wire in your brake harness and put the modulator (2 wires) in between..ie, in parallel....it takes about 2 minutes to do...
anyways, go with the no cut/premade one...make things a lot easier if you're don't know what you're doing.

A "no-cut" modulator has 3 wires, only that the tail light wire is straight!

Update:
At a closer look, it only has one straight wire, but needs two: ground and tail light. So, the flashing may work, but the tail light/all day light may not work.
Perhaps, somebody who has the unit could comment on this.

ScorpionNinja
May 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM
If it ends up not working I went with the no-cut modulator, just plugs into the factory electrical fittings and can be found here.

+1

I also bought mine from this guy!

4-5k Miles and no problems with my brake light not working,flickering,etc!

Cost: $31.00 or so if i remb! :thumbup:

***I have stock Rear taillight/running light***