View Full Version : Kawasaki Faces N.H.T.S.A. Inquiry Over Possible Stalling Issue - ECU Recall

Somchai
July 6th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Maybe the guys and gals with the 300 should follow this http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/24/kawasaki-faces-n-h-t-s-a-inquiry-over-possible-stalling-issue/

From Germany there is no prob known with this issue until now.
Maybe they have a different mapping what would make sense b/c there is no speed limit and so the setup could be more rich.

Racer x
July 7th, 2013, 04:26 AM
18 complaints out of 10000 bikes. I wonder how many Harley's stall?

The article says the 300 replaces the carb 250. The 250 in Germany is FI and the carb 250 is lean and stalls all over town when it's cold.

This new 300 seems deadly. Everyone should give them to me

CC Cowboy
July 7th, 2013, 08:52 AM

The article says the 300 replaces the carb 250. The 250 in Germany is FI and the carb 250 is lean and stalls all over town when it's cold.

Not only do my Harleys never stall but you don't even have to give it any gas when letting the clutch out.

Boom King
July 7th, 2013, 09:04 AM
18 complaints that owners actually filed with the agency and are being investigated and if you look at the pdf link, it seems that the agency also browsed through forum postings and also used their own field research. If you go to the NHTSA complaints database and look under Ninja 300 and EX300, right now there are actually 35 owner filed complaints all about the stalling issue.

The Honda CBR250 also has a stalling issue for some but it doesn't look like there are enough filed complaints or for whatever other reasons, the agency has not decided to investigate.

c-dog
July 7th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I know that Jiggles was having this happen with his. He didn't seem to happy about it. I think it went away for him though. Also some guy on Youtube demonstrates this. I foresee a recall and new ecu or flashed ecu?

I had my 300 for 600 miles before trading it in. Never had a stall with it. I did the precautionary throttle blipping when coming to a stop. I was always a little afraid it would do it to me someday at a stoplight, then I might get rear-ended. :eek:

Tigerpaw
July 7th, 2013, 10:35 AM

Mine has never stalled. But this inquiry sounds super serious. I'm afraid to ride it to you. Will you send shipping funds, I will do the rest. PM sent.

Racer x
July 7th, 2013, 02:16 PM
I don't have pay pal so I sent cash

I wounded if the CR special carbs would fix this.

Motofool
July 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I knew that all this new technology was a bad thing.

If it cannot be solved with a hammer, is an electrical problem. :) :) :)

felo
July 8th, 2013, 02:10 PM
the stalling issue and the crap steering stem bearing are the 2 biggests complains the 300 has right now...

Tigerpaw
July 8th, 2013, 02:57 PM
the stalling issue and the crap steering stem bearing are the 2 biggests complains the 300 has right now...

I thought old3 was the only one unhappy with the bearings...?

old3
July 8th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I thought old3 was the only one unhappy with the bearings...?

I think the documented bearing failures have at least doubled the stall reports! :D

choneofakind
July 8th, 2013, 04:54 PM
:lol: old3, I'm still trying to figure out if you like the fuelmoto thingy, the bearings, or the saddle better. :lol:

ninjamunky85
July 8th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I only had mine stall once, or maybe twice, that was in the first few weeks of ownership. Haven't had a problem since then.

thisisbenji
July 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM
My 250 stalled just about once a week and wouldn't start back up for the a good hour afterwards. None of the shops I took it to could find a cause. I just kind of figured stalling was part of the game.

ninjamunky85
July 8th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Uhhh, no that's not normal.

Aggrotech
July 8th, 2013, 05:35 PM
my friends 300 stalled multiple times, always at a stop, just before take off.

She always thought she was doin somethin wrong lol. Every time i rode around on it, it never seemed to happen though. so nabby rider error or just bad luck on her part, who knows :O

old3
July 8th, 2013, 05:59 PM
:lol: old3, I'm still trying to figure out if you like the fuelmoto thingy, the bearings, or the saddle better. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv8tVxk6Nj4

:D

choneofakind
July 8th, 2013, 06:05 PM
:lol: but so far, I like my bearings :behindsofa:

beazy411
July 8th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I haven't had mine stall on me unless it was something I did, like not giving it enough gas whilst letting out the clutch.

algs26
August 3rd, 2013, 08:56 PM
Check your vin folks. Mine's affected.

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentURL=%2FSITE%2FVIVEHICLEINFORMATION%2FVICHOOSEVEHICLE .ASP

Copied pdf text from another forum
The reason for this notice:
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2013 Ninja 300 & 300 ABS (EX300AD/ADFA/ADFAL/ADFL, EX300BDFAL) models. On eligible units, the vehicle may stall under deceleration due to an improper setting of
the Electronic Control Unit (ECU). This could create the potential for a crash, resulting in injury or death. Our records indicate that you have purchased one of these units.

Alex
August 3rd, 2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the link; it looks like our bike is included in the recall as well. We haven't experienced the stalling problem, so I'm not terribly concerned, but will get it into the shop at some point.

Byakkotai
August 3rd, 2013, 09:32 PM
Was at the dealer today - service writer told me to bring my bike in so they could verify if my ECU had some sort of "blue" mark on the ECU itself or something before they order the part :confused:

Welp, seeing as how service is closed tomorrow, I guess I'll find out next Saturday - had fun sitting on a few bikes though :thumbup:

rojoracing53
August 3rd, 2013, 09:59 PM
Rode jiggles 300 today, in 5 minutes the motor died with the clutch in as I came to a stop 5 separate times. For a skilled rider it's a bit more then an annoyance but for a new rider it's a good way to get rear ended when that traffic light turns green before you come to a stop and the car behind you assumes you going to get on the throttle.

It seems to only stall if you pull the clutch in and downshift multiple gears as you come to a stop without releasing the clutch(fuel conserving style). If your being aggressive and re-engaging the clutch with each shift then the rpms wont drop and the motor wont stall. It's just a simple fuel mapping issue that's not hard to fix if they just flash the ecu.

I can think of several scenarios where this could happen at just the wrong time and get you T-boned by a car because you planned on accelerating and couldn't.

I tried to make a quick left into a parking lot between a gap in a line of moving cars. I was originally planning on stopping in my lane and waiting so I had already shifted to 1st and was coasting at 2-3mph. Then one of the cars hesitated a moment so I decided to shift to 2nd and smoothy slip the clutch thought the turn since it would be smoother then revving out 1st. So as I tipped it into the corner and gave it throttle I was surprised with zero acceleration because of kawisaki's F***ing positive neutral finder. With no acceleration to pull me through the turn the bike continued to fall over until I caught it with my foot. So now I'm stop dead center of traffic in neutral with the driver I just turned in front of waiting and looking at me like I'm a F***ing retarded noob. If you guys didn't know this already I F***ing hate all these stupid rider/driving aids they keep adding to motorcycles and cars. They just get in the way of those of us who really know how to ride and drive just to keep someone who probably shouldn't be riding or behind the wheel in the first place. Sorry if this hurt anyone's feeling:rolleyes:

Galaxieman
August 3rd, 2013, 10:24 PM
Rojo... you mean like the slipper clutch that's completely unnecessary on a 300cc bike? I hear ya on the 'idiot proofing'.

tfkrocks
August 4th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Huh, guess my bike falls under the recall for both the ABS and ECU, but I don't think that's really an issue for me right now :p

rojoracing53
August 4th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Huh, guess my bike falls under the recall for both the ABS and ECU, but I don't think that's really an issue for me right now :p

Yeah but is your abs had been working properly you would have been able to properly stop in time to avoid the car. Sounds like Kawasaki is at falt for your crash, tell them you want a new bike:thumbup:

tfkrocks
August 4th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Yeah but is your abs had been working properly you would have been able to properly stop in time to avoid the car. Sounds like Kawasaki is at falt for your crash, tell them you want a new bike:thumbup:

Sounds like a plan :D

CycleCam303
August 4th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Rode jiggles 300 today, in 5 minutes the motor died with the clutch in as I came to a stop 5 separate times. For a skilled rider it's a bit more then an annoyance but for a new rider it's a good way to get rear ended when that traffic light turns green before you come to a stop and the car behind you assumes you going to get on the throttle.

It seems to only stall if you pull the clutch in and downshift multiple gears as you come to a stop without releasing the clutch(fuel conserving style). If your being aggressive and re-engaging the clutch with each shift then the rpms wont drop and the motor wont stall. It's just a simple fuel mapping issue that's not hard to fix if they just flash the ecu.

I can think of several scenarios where this could happen at just the wrong time and get you T-boned by a car because you planned on accelerating and couldn't.

I tried to make a quick left into a parking lot between a gap in a line of moving cars. I was originally planning on stopping in my lane and waiting so I had already shifted to 1st and was coasting at 2-3mph. Then one of the cars hesitated a moment so I decided to shift to 2nd and smoothy slip the clutch thought the turn since it would be smoother then revving out 1st. So as I tipped it into the corner and gave it throttle I was surprised with zero acceleration because of kawisaki's F***ing positive neutral finder. With no acceleration to pull me through the turn the bike continued to fall over until I caught it with my foot. So now I'm stop dead center of traffic in neutral with the driver I just turned in front of waiting and looking at me like I'm a F***ing retarded noob. If you guys didn't know this already I F***ing hate all these stupid rider/driving aids they keep adding to motorcycles and cars. They just get in the way of those of us who really know how to ride and drive just to keep someone who probably shouldn't be riding or behind the wheel in the first place. Sorry if this hurt anyone's feeling:rolleyes:

No wonder his girl doesn't want to ride. That's no fun. Aside from it embarrassing you what did you think of it?

rojoracing53
August 4th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Take a look at 5:20 in this video, that's whats going to happen.
XiykwlajACM

rojoracing53
August 4th, 2013, 10:46 AM
No wonder his girl doesn't want to ride. That's no fun. Aside from it embarrassing you what did you think of it?

If it didn't look like such a ****ing ugly Kawasaki I would have loved to have gotten that instead of the 250. The power is noticeably better and the Transmission is very smooth but everything else the sucks about the 250 still suck on the 300. End result yes its a better bike with no disadvantageous compared to the 250 but why would anyone think anything else right.

willis9076
August 4th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Not sure if this would help, but I have a '12 250 carbureted with 17k miles and my bike would have the exact same stalling issues as the 300. I watched the YouTube video and my bike would do exactly the same thing.

It all started after I got my valves adjusted a little over a month ago. At first I thought the shop messed with my carbs or some how changed my float bowl levels because it would happen as i was pulling in the clutch and coming to a stop. This would always happen when the bike was cold and choke fully on and rarely but occasionaly with the bike warm and choke off. It turns out that all my carb settings were spot on.

So with the help of this forum and since I wanted to check the work of the shop, I decided to learn how to do the adjustment myself. It turns out that the shop had set my exhaust valves way too tight. I had to loosen each exhaust valve by 0.20mm. After that my bike runs perfect. It fixed my stalling issue and and an issue where my bike would randomly idle at at 3-4k.

So my thinking is that the factory could have set the 300 with too tight exhaust valves and it might be causing the stalling problem. Since the 300s are pretty new it is still too early to be checking the valve clearance.

Hopefully this info might help someone.

Tj Hunter
August 5th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Just recieved this tip from my favorite shop in Mankato, MN - STARR Cycle!

We just receive a safety recall bulletin affecting all Ninja300, 300/abs models. MC 13-02

On eligible units, the vehicle may stall under decel due to an improper setting of the ECU. Could cause potential for a crash. The letter sent to customers includes DO NOT RIDE UNIT UNTIL REPAIRED. If YOU replaced the ECU previous to the letter to correct a problem related to this, you may be partially/fully reimbursed.

A BLUE DOT NEXT TO THE PART NUMBER ON THE ECU INDICATES A REPROGRAMMED ECU.

Tj Hunter
August 5th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Just recieved this tip from my favorite shop in Mankato, MN - STARR Cycle!

We just receive a safety recall bulletin affecting all Ninja300, 300/abs models. MC 13-02

On eligible units, the vehicle may stall under decel due to an improper setting of the ECU. Could cause potential for a crash. The letter sent to customers includes DO NOT RIDE UNIT UNTIL REPAIRED. If YOU replaced the ECU previous to the letter to correct a problem related to this, you may be partially/fully reimbursed.

LNasty
August 5th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Oh so they replace the 13' ecu, but have to go through hell just to get my 12's cdi fixed?!? God I hate Kawasaki

Byakkotai
August 5th, 2013, 11:23 AM

So that's what the service writer was trying to tell me about the "blue dot". Well that clears things up :thumbup:

Alex
August 5th, 2013, 01:09 PM
/multiple recall threads merged

Tj Hunter
August 5th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Also this came out too:

ALL ABS UNITS FALL UNDER AN ABS RECALL MC 13-01

Some ABS hydraulic unit may have been contaminated with debris during manufacturing. THIS CAN CAUSE THE UNIT TO MALFUNCTION AND CAUSE UNEXPECTED FUNCTION CREATING POTENTIAL FOR A CRASH.

all units must have the hydraulic units production numbers verified and replaced if they fall within range.

As previous, this is a DO NOT RIDE UNTIL VERIFIED SAFE.

Alex
August 5th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Link to ABS recall thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143233) :thumbup:

DarkNinja52
August 7th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Called my Kawi Dealer, gave the vin, said they'll order the ECU and call me in a week.

Fairly easy so far.

allanoue
August 9th, 2013, 05:25 PM
I got a letter today telling me not to ride until I get my ECU replaced. 4000 miles and it stalled once at the end of my driveway. 200 miles ago I installed the area-P pack.

What do you folks think I should do?

choneofakind
August 9th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Ride normally, get the ECU replaced that way it's not a hassle if you ever decide to sell.

Alex
August 9th, 2013, 05:40 PM
My bike isn't any less safe today than it was a month ago. It hasn't exhibited the stalling problem, so I'm not going to worry about it. When parts are easily available and I can get it in and out of service without an issue, I'll schedule the repair at that point. :thumbup:

antiant
August 9th, 2013, 06:19 PM
I also got a letter today, the stalling has only happened to me once, I believe.

ninjamunky85
August 10th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Got my recall notice yesterday. Haven't been having any problems with stalling, so I'm not really in a hurry to take it into the dealership.

I also don't feel like uninstalling the Area-P tuner that I just installed. Not really sure what to do. I guess I should take it to get it "fixed" though.

allanoue
August 10th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Got my recall notice yesterday. Haven't been having any problems with stalling, so I'm not really in a hurry to take it into the dealership.

I also don't feel like uninstalling the Area-P tuner that I just installed. Not really sure what to do. I guess I should take it to get it "fixed" though.
Why uninstall the tuner?

ninjamunky85
August 10th, 2013, 07:39 AM
I dunno, for some reason I thought that I might need to remove it. I went over to the dealership today and they told me it wouldn't be a problem. They didn't have any ecu's in yet though.

allanoue
August 10th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I just got off the phone with my dealership and I told them that I was not in a hurry because it only happened once and I had the tuner in now and they said it needs to be done asap. He just got the notice yesterday as well. He will call me when the parts are in.

Aggrotech
August 10th, 2013, 08:36 AM
fairly positive i ran into an article somewhere saying you do only have till X date to get it done....

so i dont know why people just dont get it over and done with.

allanoue
August 10th, 2013, 08:45 AM
only time limit on my letter is the dealer has 60 days from when I contact him to get the work done

JohnnyBravo
August 11th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Take a look at 5:20 in this video, that's whats going to happen.
XiykwlajACM

Haha wasnt that limo vid from around 9:30 posted by someone on ninjette?

cuong-nutz
August 13th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Kawasaki is Recalling 11,097 Ninja 300 and 300 ABS motorcycles

WASHINGTON, D.C. – August 9, 2013 – (Motor Sports Newswire) -

RECALL Subject: Motorcycle May Stall under Deceleration Increasing the Risk of a Crash

Report Receipt Date: JUL 29, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V328000
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 11,097

Vehicle Make
Model
Model Year(s)
KAWASAKI
NINJA 300
Manufacturer: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.

SUMMARY: Kawasaki Motors Corp. is recalling certain model year 2013 Ninja 300 and 300 ABS motorcycles manufactured July 16, 2012, through April 27, 2013. Due to an improper setting in the Electronic Control Unit (ECU), the motorcycle may stall under deceleration.

CONSEQUENCE: A stall under deceleration increases the risk of a crash.

REMEDY: Kawasaki will notify owners, and dealers will replace the ECU. The recall is expected to begin in mid-August 2013. Owners may contact Kawasaki at 1-866-802-9381.

NOTES: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Alex
August 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I called my dealer this morning, and he confirmed what has been already posted in this thread. They need to take a look at the ECU itself, as a number of them were fixed prior to being released, but Kawi didn't have enough records to confirm which ones were truly fixed. They take a look at the ECU, buried somewhere in the tailsection, and if there is a blue sticker/dot on it already, the ECU has already been updated before the bike was sold. If not, they'll order a new one and plug it in. Unfortunately they say they can't order it until they confirm it visually, as the order has to be tied to the VIN. This makes for a two-step process. But - they said they'd be able to take a look quickly this Saturday, and then order the part for the next weekend if it turns out that it is needed.

As I posted above, this problem doesn't seem to have surfaced on my bike, so I'm curious if mine was one of the ones that was fixed already.

Byakkotai
August 13th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I called my dealer this morning, and he confirmed what has been already posted in this thread. They need to take a look at the ECU itself, as a number of them were fixed prior to being released, but Kawi didn't have enough records to confirm which ones were truly fixed. They take a look at the ECU, buried somewhere in the tailsection, and if there is a blue sticker/dot on it already, the ECU has already been updated before the bike was sold. If not, they'll order a new one and plug it in. Unfortunately they say they can't order it until they confirm it visually, as the order has to be tied to the VIN. This makes for a two-step process. But - they said they'd be able to take a look quickly this Saturday, and then order the part for the next weekend if it turns out that it is needed.

As I posted above, this problem doesn't seem to have surfaced on my bike, so I'm curious if mine was one of the ones that was fixed already.

As the guinea pig - I took my bike down to the dealer last Sat and they confirmed my bike needed the new ECU. With a potential ~11,100 units affected in the US...that's probably a lot for the 1st year huh?

Alex
August 13th, 2013, 04:24 PM
That would be funny if it turns out that mine doesn't need it, luck of the draw from our dealer picking out which one goes to who that morning last year. I wish it were easier to find sales numbers for particular models per quarter or per year, but it's always hard data to track down. I'm not sure what that 11,000 represents either, over what time period and what percentage during that time period are subject to it. :idunno:

snot
August 13th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Took mine in yesterday took less than 30 min. I had no issues before or after. Issue is according to my dealer when down shifting those who shift one gear at a time may not notice anything, those who pull both clutch and brake then down shift several gears could have issues. Took the dealer 4 days to get it in.

JBinSD
August 13th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Yup, I called my dealer and my bike needs it too. They said they can't order my part until they get the bike in, and hold it hostage for about 4 working days. It doesn't really matter to me since I'm track-only, but sux that they have to sit on the bike that long, instead of just ordering the part and letting me to to switch it out. ah, stuff happens.

Byakkotai
August 13th, 2013, 07:59 PM
That would be funny if it turns out that mine doesn't need it, luck of the draw from our dealer picking out which one goes to who that morning last year. I wish it were easier to find sales numbers for particular models per quarter or per year, but it's always hard data to track down. I'm not sure what that 11,000 represents either, over what time period and what percentage during that time period are subject to it. :idunno:

Yeah, sales figures for motos are pretty elusive compared to autos. I remember that morning...I was walking in thru the front door after staring at the 300 parked outside. Sales guy said mine was the one parked in the back :p

I guess Jiggles would be the local authority on if anything really did get corrected or not. I know it's not gonna happen but I really want to keep my old ECU...just incase :rolleyes:

Jiggles
August 13th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Meh I don't really care, it doesn't affect me at the track

allanoue
August 15th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Meh I don't really care, it doesn't affect me at the track

If you ever need to sell it, you will want this done. That is the only reason I am getting mine replaced.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/us-requires-car-makers-offer-data-recalls-19958476

JBinSD
August 15th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I took my 300 in yesterday to NCHM in Vista, CA. They REQUIRE the bike be in their possession BEFORE ordering the part. Kinda bullsh*t considering the part is backordered, there were 7 other 300's sitting there waiting for the part, and there is no indication when the part will be delivered. Kawi's covering their ass by trying to take the bikes off the street/track, but then not stepping out and prioritizing the distribution of the new ECU's. Someone's gonna have to bring a class action on this. . .

I never had any issues with my ECU, but I did it anyway, just in case. I still have a bunch of race prep to do before the next round, so if it takes more than a week or so, I'm gonna be pissed. . . .

Jiggles
August 15th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Just go take your bike back

gibtzumich318
August 15th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I took my 300 in yesterday to NCHM in Vista, CA. They REQUIRE the bike be in their possession BEFORE ordering the part. Kinda bullsh*t considering the part is backordered, there were 7 other 300's sitting there waiting for the part, and there is no indication when the part will be delivered. Kawi's covering their ass by trying to take the bikes off the street/track, but then not stepping out and prioritizing the distribution of the new ECU's. Someone's gonna have to bring a class action on this. . .

I never had any issues with my ECU, but I did it anyway, just in case. I still have a bunch of race prep to do before the next round, so if it takes more than a week or so, I'm gonna be pissed. . . .

The dealer Im taking mine to in VA said they would have the part Saturday. I gave them my VIN over the phone and am scheduled to have the work done. They said it wouldnt take more than an hour... I hope they dont try keeping my bike, I will be pissed.

snot
August 15th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I just emailed my dealer, I didn't receive the letter until the day the part arrived.

Jiggles
August 15th, 2013, 07:18 PM

BTW I just called my dealer and he will order it for me. Said it should take about 2 weeks and he has 30 ECU's already on order. Said he'd call when mine comes int

allanoue
August 16th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Parts in and I have a 10 am appointment tomorrow.

vman1313
August 16th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I got a letter today telling me not to ride until I get my ECU replaced. 4000 miles and it stalled once at the end of my driveway. 200 miles ago I installed the area-P pack.

What do you folks think I should do?

I too am wondering what I should do since I have almost 4000 miles and have had NO problems whatsoever. I hate to take to a "stealership" and they eff up something. Decisions Decisions!!:confused:

allanoue
August 16th, 2013, 06:44 PM
I too am wondering what I should do since I have almost 4000 miles and have had NO problems whatsoever. I hate to take to a "stealership" and they eff up something. Decisions Decisions!!:confused:
If you are going to ride it until you leave it in a daisy field or crash it to get a r6, do nothing. If there is a chance you will ever sell it, then you need to get the ecu replaced.

S1att3r
August 16th, 2013, 08:33 PM
My dealer call me yesterday to inform me of the recall but I got the letter last week. He said he was confirming that I was going to bring the bike in to them and that he already ordered the part. With over 4600 miles on the bike and it only stalled from pulling the clutch in once I'm not too worried.

allanoue
August 17th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Replacement took them about 30 minutes. I was the first customer to have it done. They did do the swap on the demo first. Of the 18 that they will need to do, no one has had the stalling issue.

Byakkotai
August 17th, 2013, 08:09 AM
The ride feel any different?

allanoue
August 17th, 2013, 08:16 AM
The ride feel any different?

Twelve mile twisty spirited ride home and not one bit different from the same ride to the shop. I had the same big smile.:D

DarkNinja52
August 17th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I've experienced the stall more often than I'd like. Plus an unusual variation in revs when deccelerating. Two tuesday's ago I called the dealership in Mesa, the said they'd order the part. 1 week later I got a call, was told to schedule a time to come, i scheudled for friday during my lunch break. Brought the bike in, was there for about 35 minutes and was on my way.

So far no stalling, but I only had the ecu replaced yesterday. The decelerating is a bit smoother in the lower gears. I'll try to see if i can get it to stall by closing the throttle and pulling the clutch but I'm fairly confident the ecu replacement has been successful and painless.

algs26
August 17th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Anybody notice any effect on gas mileage? Got the snail mail but haven't made an appointment at the dealer yet.

allanoue
August 17th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Anybody notice any effect on gas mileage? Got the snail mail but haven't made an appointment at the dealer yet.

After I installed the Area-P exhaust with a micro tuner I lost about 3 MPG with the first 2 tanks, but I have significantly more power. Because of the micro tuner I will never know what if any difference the ecu makes.

gibtzumich318
August 17th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Had the recall fixed at the dealership today, less than an hour.

Somchai
August 17th, 2013, 06:17 PM
After I installed the Area-P exhaust with a micro tuner I lost about 3 MPG with the first 2 tanks, but I have significantly more power. Because of the micro tuner I will never know what if any difference the ecu makes.

Don't forget that the micro tuner after getting a new ecu from Kwaki needs a new tune since the setup has changed.

allanoue
August 17th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Don't forget that the micro tuner after getting a new ecu from Kwaki needs a new tune since the setup has changed.

kbryant what are your thoughts

Byakkotai
August 17th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Twelve mile twisty spirited ride home and not one bit different from the same ride to the shop. I had the same big smile.:D

http://cdn02.cdnwp.thefrisky.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/13/gatsby-slow-081313.gif

Just got mine done as well (30 mins labor) - nothing noticeable, still the same great bike as from before. Bye bye trusty old ECU...you did your job well :thumbup:

kbryant
August 19th, 2013, 08:42 AM
kbryant what are your thoughts

The actual A/F map is the same.

Ryephile
August 29th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I just had my ECU replaced today under the recall campaign. I had my Ninja stall twice, both times when the engine was cold and during a hot and humid day, and both times with the clutch pulled during braking while approaching a stop sign. It seems this was a simple calibration tweak, as the idle control simply didn't catch it in time as the RPM dropped. IMO it's a waste of NHTSA resources as it doesn't appear to be a real risk, just an annoyance at worst.

Anyway, it took my dealer 15 minutes to swap it out, however it took about 10 days for the ECU to come in after I initially visited and they verified my VIN was affected.

The engine feels identical, as it should with such a simple cal change.

Tigerpaw
September 1st, 2013, 04:25 AM
Sounds like something to do over the winter months.

ninjamunky85
September 5th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Got my E.C.U. replaced today. Took my local dealer about 45 minutes. I was glad to get it done, as the bike did stall on me this morning.

The guys working there thought my 300 was sick. One of them even took a picture of it and kept talking about how good it sounded. :thumbup:

Tigerpaw
September 5th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Got my E.C.U. replaced today. Took my local dealer about 45 minutes. I was glad to get it done, as the bike did stall on me this morning.

The guys working there thought my 300 was sick. One of them even took a picture of it and kept talking about how good it sounded. :thumbup:

AREA P...FTW

mickheaven
September 23rd, 2013, 05:53 AM
Saw an article today that may apply to some fellow Australian riders out there.

Check out this link for more details.

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1050571

Somchai
September 23rd, 2013, 06:22 AM
That's the same like everywhere worldwide. ;)

pratik06
September 24th, 2013, 02:45 AM
There have been recalls in India too. I had my bike's ECU replaced last week. However, it has nothing to do with the engine stalling phenomena. Apparently (at least with the N300 in India) there were some potential issues with cold starts. Thus the ECUs are being changed on all bikes already sold.

csmith12
September 24th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Welcome Pratik!

Alex
September 24th, 2013, 06:53 AM
/merged with main ECU recall thread

pratik06
September 27th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Welcome Pratik!

Thanks csmith :). The strange thing is that with the earlier ECU my bike use to start on the first attempt in the morning, with this new one it takes couple of attempts. :rolleyes:..