View Full Version : Gas Tank

JScof
February 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Anyone have a gas tank for sale? I have a 2006 and some previous owner/knucklehead used the wrong size fairing bolt which has just recently busted through the gas tank. I'm currently trying some sealant but would rather just get a different tank. Let me know. Thanks!

JScof
February 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Nevermind. I think J-B Weld has done the trick.

kkim
February 27th, 2009, 04:01 PM
...and to prevent this from happening again in the future, I'm sure you're aware that only certain sized bolts go in certain locations, right?

JScof
February 27th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah but I can't take the credit. It was done by the previous owner but I have since gone over the other bolts to make sure this doesn't happen again. I can't afford to be dumping gas all over my garage floor...hahaha! Thanks, Jim.

kkim
February 27th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Jim,

Have you seen these links? The bolts being put back into the wrong locations is a common problem which unfortunately ends up with punctured tanks. :(

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_keep_the_bodywork_hardware_organized

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_remove_the_fairing%2C_fuel_tank%2C_etc%3F

JScof
February 27th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Kelly - thanks for the info. I hope this isn't something that happens again any time soon. I missed a good day of riding yesterday and smelled like gas for two days...Yikes!

kkim
February 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
yep... keep a close eye on those bolts. If done wrong, the results could be disastrous. :(

safe riding! :thumbup:

Strider
March 18th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Anyone have a gas tank for sale? I have a 2006 and some previous owner/knucklehead used the wrong size fairing bolt which has just recently busted through the gas tank. I'm currently trying some sealant but would rather just get a different tank. Let me know. Thanks!

I know this a month old thread but ...
Those wrong size fairing bolts were probably put in at the factory, there was recall a few months ago on the 2006 models because of it. I got a letter from Kawasaki and took my bike in to make sure it was OK. All was well with mine. But it was all covered under warranty if it had needed a new tank ...

OldGuy
March 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM
You might want to PM Jim in case he hasn't bought a new tank yet. Good find.

kkim
March 18th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I just sent him an email about it. Hopefully he gets it.

Strider
March 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I sent a PM myself as well

I'll be glad to send a copy of the letter if needed!

sometimesido
April 1st, 2009, 08:41 PM
hm, which bolt was this? I want to check out my tank...

JScof
April 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Mine was the top left that bolted the fairing to the tank. So far the JB Weld has done its job! First time I've used that stuff but I'll be keeping some around the house for other fixes.